Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Storm / Strong winds 26th to 28th October 2013 ?

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

always amazed that councils, with their elf and safety talk, haven't removed a lot of the old trees on paths and beside roads..

Yes, over the years regulations have not been followed. There are proposals to remove trees from roadsides and buildings to a distance of 30m.

It will probably happen as part of natural attrition rather than and out and out attack. New tree planting should be following the 30m guidelines, what we should end up with is tree coppices, and tree lines in fields and it should lead to better environment, better wildlife, safer roads and noise dampening.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭FootShooter

Denmark has a new official wind record of 52 m/s, 194,4 km/h, that's category 3 hurricane force winds.

Here's a video of a big scaffolding being blown over in Denmark:
    http://ekstrabladet.dk/112/article2133669.ece

Some live video coverage from Swedish news:
    http://www.svt.se/nyheter/sverige/livebevakning-av-stormen-fran-kl-13

Video of people getting blown of their feet by the wind in Brussels:
    http://www.dagbladet.no/2013/10/28/nyheter/ver/uver/storm/danmark/30024613/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Surfers in Portugal made the most of the waves created by the storm.The size still has to be confirmed but it might break the previous 30m wave surfed record.

article-2478498-190B325900000578-985_964x704.jpg

article-2478498-1909CC8600000578-980_964x659.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭axe2grind

Denmark has a new official wind record of 52 m/s, 194,4 km/h, that's category 3 hurricane force winds.
    That's incorrect.
    The Saffir-Simpson scale uses sustained winds whereas the speed of 52 m/s you mention is a gust. The sustained wind will be lower, probably >33m/s but <43m/s which would be Category 1 equivalent.

This doesn't diminish the fact that this is a very significant storm for Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Hooter23

This storm is barely gone and tomorrows newspapers are talking about the next storm already with the headline New deadly storm on the way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Hooter23 wrote: »
    This storm is barely gone and tomorrows newspapers are talking about the next storm already with the headline New deadly storm on the way

Daily Express correctly forecast this system by fluke around 7 days ago, so they feel they have the credibility to go after another uncertain event!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Curtains21

snailsong wrote: »
    For the marathon the weather will be ok. Maybe a shower but probably dry. A breeze you will only notice in a few exposed spots. It might even be behind you. Stick with plan A. I'll still be gunning for 3:10. Good luck.

Missed my 3:20 target by a few minutes - cramp at mile 23 rather than weather related - it was a grand day for a run in the end. But my incessant fretting about weather has turned my 5 year old into a budding meteorologist. Courtesy of a free windmill from the marathon sponsors, a jam jar for rainwater and some plasticine "measuring machines", we have our very own weather station in the garden.... I look forward to being able to contribute his findings to future technical discussions! but i have enjoyed the thread here, and learnt a bit in the process, so thanks to all :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Some footage of the storm from northern Germany (Sylt):

Advertisement