Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's the oldest car you saw on the road today?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Oops! wrote: »
    Yes the were all 2.4 engines but called a 2L engine, it was stamped on the block.

Did the 84 and 85 ones have steering colum gear change?

That model had it right up until the end. We had one of the last ones an 89 and that had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Yes i remember a neighbour having an 88 mini bus Hiace with the colum change set up. Would love one myself now for knocking around, most of them have either been exported to Africa or left to rot. Same thing with the old Dyna's up to 2001. Getting rare now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,252 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Spotted in Tuam - 86 Carina

uFs8IvEh.jpg

95 Astra

klpm0ifh.jpg

And twin 97 Corollas

CHJgZNdh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Love the brace of Toyotas

It reminds me of this pair. The owner of the one on the right and myself went into a pub for an hour and the other one was there beside it when we came out. I was happy enough to drink coffee for the day and drive while the owner scoffed pints and GnTs. THat was around 2008. He drove that for a year and it's been garaged since

462716.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

A daily driver, see it fairly often.

IMG_7670.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Ballymun, rush hour. I'd hate to see his weekly fuel bill:eek:

20181001_131038.jpg

A regular around Glasnevin

20181001_092844.jpg

A bit battered in Santry

20181001_130949.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

All this hiace talk had me researching the buying of one. Few knocking around NSW :)

Anyway... an import... But I do love a red reg:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

20 yrs ago last week I borrowed an '85 Hi-Ace and took it from NW Tipp to Sligo and back 4 times in 3 days. Not a bother on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭tc20

recently spotted around north Wicklow..

I know it's not an old one. But I couldn't figure out where it was from and I figure you're all the right kinda noids for this job. It was in London last week.

I was thinking Channel Islands but they haven't changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

That is a UK diplomatic plate

134 = code for Chile

That is a UK diplomatic plate

134 = code for Chile

Thanks a million

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

A 98 Citroen Xsara , What do people think of these Xsaras?

463003.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Simpler suspension than a Xantia, thats for sure.
    Do Citroen still put the handbrake on the front wheels?
    What a fùcktard system/idea that was....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Not sure of the age...but old...

11izt5i.jpg

Dia1988 wrote: »
    A 98 Citroen Xsara , What do people think of these Xsaras?

They were a poor car tbh. They had nothing going for them. They weren't very reliable or well built. They weren't that great to drive either and the ride was too soft. The styling was also bland.

Despite being very similar mechanically the 306 was a nicer car.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I regularly see an 88 Renault 11 rolling around Beara , I must get a pic sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    They were a poor car tbh. They had nothing going for them. They weren't very reliable or well built. They weren't that great to drive either and the ride was too soft. The styling was also bland.

Oh goody, more opinions and hearsay! It would be nice to actually see some back up to these sporadic unwarranted claims instead of picking and choosing what's heard while on the barstool from some like minded jackass

Imagine if someone was to come on and say a Corolla was bland... We'd have war on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

Ridiculous.
    Just because it's not an Auris doesn't mean you have to rag on anything else!!

Xsara was not my favourite french car from back then but that's because there were so many heroes from the late mid to late 90's, be it the 405/406, the Xantia, the older BX, or the god of all french gods a Citroen XM 2.5TD.

I'd pay many pounds to drive any of those cars over an equivalent boring yaris/auris/corolla etc.
    And I'm a toyota fan, have a Corona JDM in storage as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Xsaras were poor alright but Xantias were top class, handbrake on the front was grand anyway, was easy to wind back with a screwdriver too. Suspension was simple enough on them, dead cheap & easy to replace a sphere if you ever needed to.

Gimmie a prefacelift turbo d xantia to daily drive and I'd never give let it go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I had a Xantia, and it nearly bankrupt me!
    In hindsight, it had probably been clocked before I got it.
    Multiple suspension problems, alternator problems, coolant loss, various el. problems, I had a new timing belt and water pump fitted, then 6 months later it snapped the belt and bent valves etc, etc, etc.
    The only mechanic locally that would even look at a Citroen was 20 miles awsy.
    Mind you, he give me a turbo diesel XM as a loaner on one of the many occasions that I had to visit him.
    It was a lovely drive, acres of black leather and was like a magic carpet to drive in.

Brought another boardsies 96 Turbo D to a boards meet years ago, with several more boardsies looking in, such comfort for the long distances an absolute king of a car! :D

341207.jpg

That car is in storage and very much kept alive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Brought another boardsies 96 Turbo D to a boards meet years ago, with several more boardsies looking in, such comfort for the long distances an absolute king of a car! :D

That car is in storage and very much kept alive :)

So today's feeling of sadness is brought by this:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motor?words=Xantia

No xantias on DoneDeal at all :eek::(

ELM327 wrote: »
    Ridiculous.
    Just because it's not an Auris doesn't mean you have to rag on anything else!!

Xsara was not my favourite french car from back then but that's because there were so many heroes from the late mid to late 90's, be it the 405/406, the Xantia, the older BX, or the god of all french gods a Citroen XM 2.5TD.

I'd pay many pounds to drive any of those cars over an equivalent boring yaris/auris/corolla etc.
    And I'm a toyota fan, have a Corona JDM in storage as we speak.
    How is it rediculous? I never mentioned toyota, xantias or any other citroens. At least they had something going for them like decent styling and a complex but good suspension system.

The xsara didn't have anything and was as boring as anything to look at or drive. That's why I mentioned the 306 because it's a very similar car to the xsara underneath but it's better to drive and it's much better looking, especially later examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Been thinking about this over night....

Johnboy 26s Xsara comments came because when a Xsara was posted in the thread - the poster asked what did people think of Xsaras.

Can't see a problem with his opinion - especially as he cites the 306 as a nicer drive.

It doesn't matter if it's "hearsay" - the question is what do ye think of Xsaras.

Johnboy 26 told us what he thinks.

And even if he likes Toyotas - what about it.

A mutual respect of opinions is not adhered to by a small minority, usually coupled along with blatant biased opinions forced upon others as fact. When resistance is met, you're put on the ignore list as a bury the head in the sand solution. No further comment, no fingers pointed

I have seen a 95 Jag XJ over the past few days, saw it yesterday on the M50. Old couple, possibly had since new. I have a still on the dash cam I must post when I have time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

More old car pics...........

QNisKZr.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Excellent spot that!!

Where was that Sierra? Fook!

---

Fiat 500 parked up at the Italian embassy in Bratislava.

I spotted a 92/93 Primera on the street earlier and will grab a photo tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Ballymun, rush hour. I'd hate to see his weekly fuel bill:eek:

20181001_131038.jpg

A regular around Glasnevin

20181001_092844.jpg

A bit battered in Santry

20181001_130949.jpg
    Those polos had the worst rear valance design ever . Nearly every one you saw was battered to bits

Advertisement