Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

Weepsie wrote: »
    There's 5000m of climbing in the new route.

To put that into perspective, that's more than a Flanders...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Junior wrote: »
    Possible route

Damn. Dont you hate it when you get quoted before you even have time for a sneaky edit of your post :D

Be grand, shure he'll have a Tour in his legs and green jersey on a hanger.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Used to get shouts in the 80's from scrotes......"Who does he think he is, Stephen Kelly?"

Swear to God, passed a bunch of teens in Celbridge this evening and got...."Hey Chris Bennehhh" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Ceepo

jimm wrote: »
    Used to get shouts in the 80's from scrotes......"Who does he think he is, Stephen Kelly?"

Swear to God, passed a bunch of teens in Celbridge this evening and got...."Hey Chris Bennehhh" :D

It's a sign he has made it... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭connachta

only 2 more days for Sagan to get 20 + 20 at intermediate sprints by distancing Bennett in early climbs.

If he doesn't do it, it's up to Sam to (just) get past the mountains next week and the green jersey will be his

• Advertisement

On the 3 days favorable for Sagan, he didn't take 70, not even 40, but only 25 points to Sam

Now he has to get past big mountain, Thursday is the hardest and Bora will try to put his off-record by imposing a high tempo.

As with 43 points to catch they know they've now lost it except by this way. Come on, hold on Sammy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Junior wrote: »
    To put that into perspective, that's more than a Flanders...

More like twice the elevation gain of the Tour of Flanders...

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

I went to the beginning of this thread to see how things have progressed and came across some interesting pieces for rest day consumption, including a doc about his first tour.
    com1 wrote: »
    Just spotted this - was on last weekend it is available as a podcast could be worth a listen

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2015/0925/730247-from-carrick-on-suir-to-the-cote-dazur/
    buffalo wrote: »
    pelevin wrote: »
    Good piece with him on CyclingTips with Shane Stokes:
    https://cyclingtips.com/2016/12/syncing-with-sagan-sam-bennett-looks-ahead-to-2017/

Glad he'll be doing the Giro.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

hes been interviewed on claire byrne show now

Can listen to it here from about the 1:06 mark. https://www.rte.ie/radio1/today-with-claire-byrne/#103490660

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Ceepo wrote: »
    It's a sign he has made it... ;)

He was on Giftgrub, that’s how you know you have made it big when Mario roasts you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Oh I so hope he keeps that jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

MPFGLB wrote: »

He has got a very good chance.....
    For the next 2 stages I see Sam and DQS marking Sagan and basically neutralising any attacks.....
    I don't see Sagan getting to the end of either stage to get points

Stage 18 could see Bora push hard from the start. Sprint is after 13Km and looks to be Uphill all the way...but might also be a stage the Aagan might try to get to the end....but a lot of climbing in it

tour-de-france-2020-stage-18-profile-27dd6ea5e6.jpg

Stage 19 has the Sprint with a lot of climbing to get to it......One for Sagan to try and get and possibly get to the finish

tour-de-france-2020-stage-19-profile-df4c691995.jpg

As I see it (if my maths is right) Sagan really needs to place top 3 in a stage (most likely stage 19 with more points on offer) and also gather at least 2 full points in a Intermediate sprint to have a chance (with Sam not scoring)....And bring it to the Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Bora must be close to píssing off the rest of the peloton at this stage if they keep going all out, with not just Sam and the other sprinters having a tough day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

18 is a scary one in terms of time gaps and Sam will need to be on his toes. Sagan will definitely be looking for the win on stage 19 but most all the other big players in the peleton will be happy with a breakaway as the TT is the next day.

I would say absolute max Sagan will take more than Sam is 60 before Paris but Sam should have the upper hand there and could take back enough for green but more likely he is wearing it going into paris

breezy1985 wrote: »
    18 is a scary one in terms of time gaps and Sam will need to be on his toes. Sagan will definitely be looking for the win on stage 19 but most all the other big players in the peleton will be happy with a breakaway as the TT is the next day.

I would say absolute max Sagan will take more than Sam is 60 before Paris but Sam should have the upper hand there and could take back enough for green but more likely he is wearing it going into paris

Yeah main issue is finishing on time stage 18 and controlling Bora in the little climb (or just after) stage 19

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Hilly start to tomorrow's stage as well, a potential 20-0 to Sagan if he got away

Seven Worlds will Collide

Hilly start to tomorrow's stage as well, a potential 20-0 to Sagan if he got away

Sam has looked smarter to Sagan's tactics than any other rival the last 8 years. Is Sagan goes Sam will too and atleast get some points even if he can't get all 20 in the hills

The other option would be to send team mates away and have them scoop up the big points to limit a loss.

• Advertisement

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Sam has looked smarter to Sagan's tactics than any other rival the last 8 years. Is Sagan goes Sam will too and atleast get some points even if he can't get all 20 in the hills

The hill is short and not very difficult. Sam should pass it at worse 30 sec later than Sagan.
    Even with 2 teamates and a few other riders attacking with Sagan, the entire Quick Step team can make the jonction before the intermediate sprint 32 km further on a flat road

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

The other option would be to send team mates away and have them scoop up the big points to limit a loss.

Good chance of that happening, even with two of them trying to get away, and then Sam taking Sagans wheel and pipping him at the line like he has so many time in the tour so far. Maybe backing his ability to beat Sagan over 100m is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

If the sprinters do get spat out by Bora setting a really high pace...

But the sprinter teams just sit up and roll home after the time limit...

Are they really going to kick out Quick-Step, Lotto & CCC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

MPFGLB wrote: »

I'm not sure how he can stand the stress of it all... I can barely handle just watching and thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    If the sprinters do get spat out by Bora setting a really high pace...

But the sprinter teams just sit up and roll home after the time limit...

Are they really going to kick out Quick-Step, Lotto & CCC

The precedence is already established that if a group of riders are outside the time limit but still allowed to continue they will all be deducted points.

In 2011 Cavendish was OTL but allowed to continue with a penalty of 20 green jersey points
    https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cavendish-loses-20-points-on-tour-de-france-queen-stage/

cunavalos wrote: »
    The precedence is already established that if a group of riders are outside the time limit but still allowed to continue they will all be deducted points.

In 2011 Cavendish was OTL but allowed to continue with a penalty of 20 green jersey points
    https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cavendish-loses-20-points-on-tour-de-france-queen-stage/

That day it was done because over half the peleton would have been over the line not just the green jersey

Saved or not, the penalty will mean the end of green jersey that's for sure.
    He has to stay on time
    Nothing to worry tomorrow and next.
    Thursday will be very hard.
    He has to do the job in any descents...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

I don't see this in any of the stages.....

There are a lot of teams and some larger named riders that still have nothing from this tour so we are likely to see some large breakaways this week......this will help Sam over the next 2 days anyway

The other thing is that Trentin seems to have taken an interest in the points race also....This brings CCC in to play...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Keeks wrote: »
    The other thing is that Trentin seems to have taken an interest in the points race also....This brings CCC in to play...

Interesting to see if he goes all out for it, he could narrow it down to spitting distance of Peter with ease if he gets in the break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Sam Bennett: Green jersey is a different kind of pressure but I'm coping with it
    Keeks wrote: »

I thought he'd given up on it after his comments last week, saying why bother with the effort if he couldn't even place in the final sprints?

Advertisement