Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

CramCycle wrote: »
    You could be right, an opportunistic sprinter. One thing in his past ew wins away from DQS is that no one seen him coming, even the fans looking at the screen. It is a weird one, his two near wins this week were from either slightly too late or slightly too early, with his win being on the one finish I thought he would have more difficulty with. The good news is when you look at the slo mo shots after the races, he is still the fastest by a country mile and with a little bit of change he will be taking up victories left right and centre. He is an amazing sprinter to watch.

The aerial view of the last 25 meters from stage 5 is wild. It's going to be an exciting year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

It's the first race of the season and his first race with a new team and new lead out train. He's got a win, a second and a third....
    Jesus lads, aim for the top and all that but lay off him for not winning everything....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

RobFowl wrote: »
    It's the first race of the season and his first race with a new team and new lead out train. He's got a win, a second and a third....
    Jesus lads, aim for the top and all that but lay off him for not winning everything....
    It was hardly criticism Rob, he won the one I wouldn't have picked him for and was the stronger sprinter in the other two. If he continues like this he is going to rack up an unprecedented number of wins, hell if he starts slacking off now, he will still pick up a hell of a number of wins, he was the number 1 sprinter out there by far IMO at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Lads this isn't a race specific thread and the spoilers are discouraging reading of it.

Suggest guys don't go into the thread around the time he is racing if they don't want to know whats happening

They have a few minor things to work on as a team but Sam himself has looked great this week but for one of the earlier stages were it looked like the hill on the circuit took it's toll on him. Otherwise all looks good for him, seems to be fitting in well. Glad they ditched the yellow socks they wore at the crit last week :D

Might want to send someone to check the finishes match the road book in future though , that was an avoidable mistake.

• Advertisement

Lads this isn't a race specific thread and the spoilers are discouraging reading of it.

Suggest guys don't go into the thread around the time he is racing if they don't want to know whats happening

True and a post in thread on race day normally means something good, or something bad happened. Might have a look at the rules and see if there is a rule change needed. In european races it is fine, as it just locks down conversation till midnight the same day, whereas the Australian race seems like alot longer. The reason for spoilers is that in a race specific thread, we can say spoilers are there, and there is no need for tags, it is in threads like this they are needed. Maybe take possible suggestions to PM and I'll talk to the other mods.

Oh forgot the highlights from today, as was mentioned in the spoilers the over head of the finish is the one to watch here.

No TV coverage or highlights from the overnight race (Race Torquay) that I can see, just some clips on Twitter.

Result
    Yay for Sam!!!!!!!

Mitchelton Scott video:
    All we really see of Sam is just after he crossed the line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

The full race is available on youtube here.
    https://youtu.be/M9mYL1eYN7o?t=12307
    The final km starts somewhere around 3Hr 27 Mark and there are a few interviews afterwards.
    Sam's form bodes well for the Cadel Evans race on Sunday and interestingly today's race actually netted Sam his third highest UCI points haul

• Advertisement

Sam starting the UAE tour tomorrow. I'm really interested to see how he goes against an in form Ackermann. Ewan and Demare there aswell as Cav. EDIT: Forgot Groenewegen and Gaveria were here too.

His lead out man will have a national champs jersey to show off too.

Sam got taken out in the finale today , word is he's ok just a few stitches needed to his hand. Crash is about 5 minutes in. Not sure what was going on with the lead out in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Sam was fined for being a naughty boy today, he gave quintana some shoulder today;

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sam-bennett-fined-for-shouldering-in-crash-marred-paris-nice-sprint/

Sam got taken out in the finale today , word is he's ok just a few stitches needed to his hand. Crash is about 5 minutes in. Not sure what was going on with the lead out in the end.

Sam was fined for being a naughty boy today, he gave quintana some shoulder today;

They didn't show it in the video I posted, you can see it just about to happen as Sam comes by at 4:58-5:00, It's like a grown man shoving a child :D

Gas seeing Hegita up there in the front group the other day and taking a turn on the front and Politt shaking his head behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I just realised tonight that Paris Nice is on ITV4 at 8 each night. I dont have UK Eurosport so happy days, i could tune in Eurosport Deutschland but better to listen to David Millar /Ned Boulting aus Anglais.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I just realised tonight that Paris Nice is on ITV4 at 8 each night. I dont have UK Eurosport so happy days, i could tune in Eurosport Deutschland but better to listen to David Millar /Ned Boulting aus Anglais.

Stage 1 and 2 where excellent to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

They didn't show it in the video I posted, you can see it just about to happen as Sam comes by at 4:58-5:00, It's like a grown man shoving a child :D

Janey, it's a bit gratuitous alright:

https://twitter.com/daanvandenberg/status/1237413610751692801

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

As much as I like him, once may be seen as creating space for yourself but 3 times looks a bit like bullying. Wonder what went on before.... footballers sometimes wait years before giving it back

I think it's Sagan there to the left on Viviani's wheel who has to take some corrective measures. That could have been nasty.

I think the sprinters generally frown upon GC guys being up there in the finale. Quintana had lost time the previous day so was maybe hoping to get a gap back to Higita and take some seconds.

Definitely a warranted fine for Sam there.

He nudged Hoffstatter because he was trying to pinch his wheel, the same with the other one, the guy (can't make out who it is) was drifting into him. Bad from to renudge him but the first one was justified. Cavendish used to do far worse at every race and no one bats an eyelid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

Sam has been at the receiving end of shoulders plenty of times.
    No prisoners taken in the final sprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Rubbin' is racin' :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Stage 1 and 2 where excellent to watch

Missed them! Each day seems to be coming with an 'if the race / stage goes ahead' qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,045 ✭✭✭✭neris

Show of class there in the comments from the Nairo Quintana Fanclub wishing him well.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

I'm OT but Sam is gone home so why not ...
    Ryan Mullen seems to have gone to the dogs the last while.
    He's getting to race Paris-Nice so he must be doing something right in his general domestiquing but his TT seems to have regressed a lot this year, he's nowhere near the top lads. It looks like he didn't try or maybe had a problem today but the same has been true in other races too.

I was impressed with what I saw of him in the Belgian races last week in his role with the team. Regular at the front pulling for others or trying to get a move going on a couple of occasions. There was a piece on the Independent.ie with him the other day. I agree his TT isn't what it was 2 or 3 years ago when he finished 3rd I think it was at the European championships,

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/sometimes-when-people-hear-me-speak-theres-a-bit-of-negativity-oh-hes-british-but-ive-never-seen-myself-that-way-ever-39023095.html

I was impressed with what I saw of him in the Belgian races last week in his role with the team. Regular at the front pulling for others or trying to get a move going on a couple of occasions. There was a piece on the Independent.ie with him the other day. I agree his TT isn't what it was 2 or 3 years ago when he finished 3rd I think it was at the European championships,

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/sometimes-when-people-hear-me-speak-theres-a-bit-of-negativity-oh-hes-british-but-ive-never-seen-myself-that-way-ever-39023095.html

I seen his name mentioned in a few of the early season races and he was going well overall. This aside he done very well today, a decent effort in the breakaway.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I seen his name mentioned in a few of the early season races and he was going well overall. This aside he done very well today, a decent effort in the breakaway.

Was a real no bullsh!t break too, Mullen was left to skip turns on the final few hills and he'd come through and work then in an effort to keep it together as long as possible. Myself and the girls were roaring at the telly at end :D

Great to be at home working and have the racing on but I think thats the last race we'll see for a while so it'll be peppa pig etc for the next while.

• Advertisement

Interview with Sam on the cycling news podcast. Skip to about the 11 minute mark for it.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sam-bennett-haas-alaphilippe-and-the-most-clicked-riders-podcast/

Advertisement