Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

cunavalos wrote: »
    According to a Belgian newspaper, the UCI have determined that Sam is still under contract to Bora for 2020 so either he stays or Sam and/or new team will have to buy out his contract. I expect this to drag on for a couple of weeks yet.
    Article requires registration and translation
    https://m.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20190921_04620440?articlehash=5EFE192332435D655C8071B4C2B0210E43265C51431A6741137549262345C2798E9E4A52555AE0BFF9C5ED6247291D5EEBC989B4ED0D5E8FEFB016C75B688A02

Agent ****ed up badly there......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Could they just not do the decent thing and let him go, like when Sunweb realised Tom Dumoulin was not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

cunavalos wrote: »
    According to a Belgian newspaper, the UCI have determined that Sam is still under contract to Bora for 2020 so either he stays or Sam and/or new team will have to buy out his contract. I expect this to drag on for a couple of weeks yet.
    Article requires registration and translation
    https://m.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20190921_04620440?articlehash=5EFE192332435D655C8071B4C2B0210E43265C51431A6741137549262345C2798E9E4A52555AE0BFF9C5ED6247291D5EEBC989B4ED0D5E8FEFB016C75B688A02

Yeah it's a complete bucket of piss.....but who are the UCI to make a judgement on a matter of employment contract law and McQuaid will take it to a higher authority. I suspect a deal will be done.
    One can only hope that now Bora have 'won' round 1, they will see the sense in accommodating Sam in a move

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/sam-bennett-im-trying-my-best-to-get-out-of-bora-i-need-a-change/

Sam Bennett has made his strongest comments yet about the need for a change of team, but also effectively confirmed it is not a straightforward issue.

Bennett was among a number of Irish riders who spoke to the media in Yorkshire yesterday in a press conference organised by Cycling Ireland before the weekend World Championships road races.

The event was a welcome new development, suggesting a more open and progressive approach by the federation.

In recent months Bennett has been the consummate professional about his team status. The story, at least parts of it, are well known at this stage.

He has excelled at Bora-hansgrohe; the team that gave him his big break and has helped make him the rider he is today.

But it is clear he has outgrown the environment; his star is simply too big now to see Pascal Ackermann’s inclusion in the Giro team and Peter Sagan’s selection for the Tour de France cost the Irishman a start in both races.

Bennett said earlier this year he did not want to be in a team where he was stuck behind other riders.

At the same time, he said he accepted the team had business decisions to make and he was resolute in his commitment to do as well as he could for the team in the races he was selected for this year.

Since speaking in those terms earlier this year he has banged out win after win and is the most prolific sprinter in pro cycling this year; 13 wins and counting.

In July he seemed close to confirming a transfer to Deceuninck-QuickStep; boss of the Belgian WorldTour outfit Patrick Lefevere saying he believed he had an agreement with the rider.

However, since then it has emerged Bora-hansgrohe has been fighting to keep the Irish rider and trying to keep him to an agreement to stay on that they claim he made to them.

Last month reports suggested a wrangle between Bennett and the team was going to a UCI arbitration process.

It centres on the team claiming Bennett tentatively agreed in May to remain with the team beyond the expiry of his current contract at the end of this year.

Bennett did not speak in specific terms about any of those issues at the media event yesterday.

However, he suggest the matter of leaving Bora-hansgrohe had become something that he had been working to achieve, rather than simply being free to go elsewhere.

“I’m trying my best to get out of Bora. I should have something today or tomorrow; I’m hoping,” he said yesterday.

“And hopefully I should have a team by next week. But the thing is, this has been going on three months and it’s always been ‘next week, next week’.

“So it should be… but I’m trying my best to get out, I need a change.”

He said the whole issue over his next contract had been “hard on the brain” when he rode La Vuelta, where he won two stages.

What happened in May that he indicated he'd stay? Was that to save his Vuleta ride?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Macy0161

godtabh wrote: »
    What happened in May that he indicated he'd stay? Was that to save his Vuleta ride?
    That's what I've heard suggested, and that this is probably why it won't stand up if it gets to a real court. Seems like "Say you'll stay or no starts". tbh, whatever the outcome, it's really put me off Bora as a team (when they were one of my favourites!)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Macy0161 wrote: »
    That's what I've heard suggested, and that this is probably why it won't stand up if it gets to a real court. Seems like "Say you'll stay or no starts". tbh, whatever the outcome, it's really put me off Bora as a team (when they were one of my favourites!)

Thats what it looks like. Bora seemed a great place to be but there is a different vibe now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

And sure going forward into next year that's a horrible place for Sams head to be in.
    Would be great if Dennis O Brien bought him out out of any contract fees like the way he pumped money into the Irish soccer managers job few years back. There's a can of works rolling across the floor

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Is Sam doing any races at all?

He's not listed for any upcoming races - Binche, Paris-Bourges, Paris- Tours - all would suit him.

Although not sure if Bora are entered for any of them.

Is he not getting his game because he is leaving?

They will hardly make him ride Lombardy?

Theres a few Bora aren't down to start at, the others seem to be for Majka or non outright sprinters. Ackermann is down for the final WT race of the year in China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Finnrocco wrote: »
    Is Sam doing any races at all?

He's not listed for any upcoming races - Binche, Paris-Bourges, Paris- Tours - all would suit him.

Although not sure if Bora are entered for any of them.

Is he not getting his game because he is leaving?

They will hardly make him ride Lombardy?

He was on our flight coming back from the Worlds last Monday and he said that it was his last race.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

There was a piece yesterday on Cyclingnews speculating that Segan will be at the unveiling of the 2020 Giro route tomorrow. So he rides that and maybe give Sam a ride at the tour? Can't see it happening so that would likely rule Sam out of both the Giro and Tour if he has to stay put at Bora

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭De Bhál

There was a piece yesterday on Cyclingnews speculating that Segan will be at the unveiling of the 2020 Giro route tomorrow. So he rides that and maybe give Sam a ride at the tour? Can't see it happening so that would likely rule Sam out of both the Giro and Tour if he has to stay put at Bora

he's 29 now so he needs to be doing the Tour. Hopefully it's sorted for him soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I'm not so sure any sprinter will be keen on the tour next year given the parcours. Its easy to see why Sagan is riding the Giro.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

What is the story with the shamrocks on the national champ jersey? Looks woeful

Tricolour across the chest or like the Italian national jersey would be 100% better - But isn't there something with the design specs that won't allow the tricolour to be a prominent feature, Norn Iron and all that

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

dahat wrote: »
    I'm not so sure any sprinter will be keen on the tour next year given the parcours. Its easy to see why Sagan is riding the Giro.

Olympic year too, so some might manage their year different to be ready for that.

CormacH94 wrote: »
    What is the story with the shamrocks on the national champ jersey? Looks woeful

Tricolour across the chest or like the Italian national jersey would be 100% better - But isn't there something with the design specs that won't allow the tricolour to be a prominent feature, Norn Iron and all that
    It’s the island of Ireland champ not the republic

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Weepsie wrote: »
    Olympic year too, so some might manage their year different to be ready for that.

Yes, already Nibali has said no Tour so plenty more will follow. For someone like Sam to survive the tour next year will take a huge effort.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Even better is that Archbold is going with him. Great outcome for Sam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

His best win of the season!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

At last I can now unfollow Bora on social media without guilt!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jsoc

I put https://www.gva.be/cnt/dmf20191030_04692868/vrije-bennett-wordt-de-nieuwe-topsprinter-van-deceuninck-quick-step through translate and there's much more information to be picked up...
    Seem he lost his arbitration between himself and Bora via UCI :confused: and may have had to buy himself free??
    Was at the point of not wanting to race next year if he was stuck at Bora :confused:

Hopefully will be a done deal now and we might hear more background after it clears...although he/agent could be under agreement to keep stumm

on a more positive note, my prediction for 2020..Sam in yellow after first stage of TdeF in Nice :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Delighted for Sam, but Bora can do one after that press release - "BORA - hansgrohe developed Sam Bennett into one of the best sprinters in the peloton" - FRO!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭seaviewphotos

Daroxtar wrote: »

Too funny, love all the comments giving out about him.😁😁

• Advertisement

Seven Worlds will Collide

Advertisement