Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

I thought he was gone in the crash with the rest of the lads I'm so used to him in a black jersey, so not too bad a result just didn't have the road left then to get a wind up when he went from behind Viviani

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Jaysus :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Stage win today at bink bank tour

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Binck Bank Bong :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Just noticed the commentator say it was the first world tour road race win by a rider in the Irish NC jersey. (I think Ryan Mullen won in the TT jersey)Just trying to think of any other professional wins in the jersey, would David O Loughlin have won a stage of the RAS in the jersey?

She was direct in asking him about a move to DQS and all he said was news to come. I assume that won't be confirmed until after la Vuelta.

Another good win for him there, no team in the last 2km and had to fight it out on his own.

Here's the finish

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The team worked hard to keep him near the front up to that. He was on his own at the end but had strength to spare as a result of their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

RobFowl wrote: »
    The team worked hard to keep him near the front up to that. He was on his own at the end but had strength to spare as a result of their work.

Ara that's a given and nothing but their basic job. A good job would be having one or two of them up there towards the end. Jumbo did similar positional work for Groenewegen and still had two men there to lead him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Ara that's a given and nothing but their basic job. A good job would be having one or two of them up there towards the end. Jumbo did similar positional work for Groenewegen and still had two men there to lead him out.

And he only managed 7th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

And he only managed 7th

Ha, true dat.
    All going well Sam could clean up at the Vuelta, he's at a great level.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Any chance he stays at Bora?

Reading odds and ends online Sagan may miss the tour next year so if Sam got the Tour he may stay possibly.

I could be way off the mark as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

dahat wrote: »
    Any chance he stays at Bora?

Reading odds and ends online Sagan may miss the tour next year so if Sam got the Tour he may stay possibly.

I could be way off the mark as well.

Why would Sagan miss the tour?

I hope Sam lays off the Flandrien Super8 until later in the week
    Bennett-beer-600x338.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭dahat

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

His agent spoken of the huge effort it took Sagan to get the green hersey again plus he isn't a pure fast man so winning stages there is harder for him now. He is currently have a break with a reduced programme before world's.

I may be way off but it's strange that Bennett hasn't confirmed stating or going yet so things may be changing in his favour at Bora. One thing for sure he seems to love the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭f1000

Savage sprint @ Binckbank. Just watched the highlights and the helicopter camera showed how much Sam had to do in the last 1km for the win. Class

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

He has the green jersey record. Taking a year out breaks up any new pressure of how many he will win or who might beat him.

I was struggling to see Sam Bennett in the highlights of the finish today. The Irish jersey doesn't stand out. It's lost among the many other white shouldered jerseys in the head on view. The green ban is difficult to see in the overhead shots too.

I guess the trade teams dictate how much of the national flag/emblems cover their jerseys.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    The Irish jersey doesn't stand out. It's lost among the many other white shouldered jerseys in the head on view. The green ban is difficult to see in the overhead shots too.

Why not something similar to the Italian jersey or is that not allowed now?

MC-Castelli-camp-ita-18_hr_11.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

f1000 wrote: »
    Why not something similar to the Italian jersey or is that not allowed now?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057061624&page=41

Go back 3 pages.

Quick edit, I like

• Advertisement

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Go back 3 pages.

Facepalm moment :(

Didn't realise the politics

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Quick edit, I like
    Needs an O'Neills logo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Tokyo Olympics just after too - Tour has been brought forward a week for this but they still need to get to Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

dahat wrote: »
    His agent spoken of the huge effort it took Sagan to get the green hersey again plus he isn't a pure fast man so winning stages there is harder for him now. He is currently have a break with a reduced programme before world's.

I may be way off but it's strange that Bennett hasn't confirmed stating or going yet so things may be changing in his favour at Bora. One thing for sure he seems to love the team.

If Sagan doesn't go to the Tour they'd probably give the German (Ackermann) the spot and give Sam the Giro.

He deserves the tour and would win a few stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I was struggling to see Sam Bennett in the highlights of the finish today. The Irish jersey doesn't stand out. It's lost among the many other white shouldered jerseys in the head on view.

Also hindered by having a white helmet today instead of the green Bora one. I think he was wearing the green yesterday in the Euros

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I was struggling to see Sam Bennett in the highlights of the finish today. The Irish jersey doesn't stand out. It's lost among the many other white shouldered jerseys in the head on view. The green ban is difficult to see in the overhead shots too.
    I was looking for the helmet. If he had been wearing the regular Bora one he would have stood out

The other thing, I guess, is he's usually in a train, and 2 or 3 Bora jerseys in front of him makes it a lot easier to spot him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Quick edit, I like
    It's a bit Kerry for Sam looking. Boom boom.

cunavalos wrote: »
    Just noticed the commentator say it was the first world tour road race win by a rider in the Irish NC jersey. (I think Ryan Mullen won in the TT jersey)Just trying to think of any other professional wins in the jersey, would David O Loughlin have won a stage of the RAS in the jersey?

To answer my own question while David O'Louglin did win a stage of the RAS in 2008 while riding for Pezula in the Irish Champions jersey it may not count as a professional win at the time so we have to go back to David McCann winning Stage 5 at the 2006 Tour of Qinghai Lake. Funnily enough he did not have a team issued champion jersey and won wearing a Cycling Ireland jersey and the Irish Team bibs of the time
    25.jpg

As an aside can you imagine what that bike must be worth now, if a bike "nearly" ridden by David McCann at the Olympics was for sale at €8000 a bike that he actually rode to a professional win must be worth twice that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Its ironic that the full tricolour can't be worn so as not to offend our unionist brethren, yet the flag was created with the opposite in mind - the orange stands for protestantism after all!

• Advertisement

Thought I heard or read somewhere that Bora are considering going all in for GC with Buchman in the near future

Advertisement