Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sam Bennett - no same day spoilers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Great win there. Couple of nice shoulders by him to keep him in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

De Bhál wrote: »
    Great win there. Couple of nice shoulders by him to keep him in there.

Absolutely, he wasn't shy in throwing it about a bit.

Absolutely, he wasn't shy in throwing it about a bit.

Great to see

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

cunavalos wrote: »
    I hope Sam lays off the Flandrien Super8 until later in the week]

Must be doing alot of upper body work in the gym, no way I hold a keg over my head after a race :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

CramCycle wrote: »
    Must be doing alot of upper body work in the gym, no way I hold a keg over my head after a race :pac:

It was only a firkin, thing of nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

Win again today on stage 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I thought Bora had got the memo on making Sam's Irish Champion jersey more visible until I realised he was just wearing the race leader's green jersey!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

velo.2010 wrote: »
    I thought Bora had got the memo on making Sam's Irish Champion jersey more visible until I realised he was just wearing the race leader's green jersey!

Looked more like an old An Post jersey!

Bora team cars loaded down with the prizes he's won too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Lads his a some form...might he be in with a shout to add the rainbow strip to his Bora jersey?

• Advertisement

From the photo, only the width of the rim in it.

EDIT:

EB8AEKEX4AAO5Ea?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Today was officially Sam's 40th Professional win since his breakthrough win in the 2013 Tour of Britain and he has the second highest number wins this season in races .1 and above, only one behind Alaphilippe
    Rnk Rider Team Wins 2nd 3rd
    1 Alaphilippe Julian Deceuninck - Quick Step 12 4 3

2= Groenewegen Dylan Team Jumbo-Visma 11 4 3

2= Bennett Sam BORA - hansgrohe 11 4 3

4 Ewan Caleb Lotto Soudal 9 8 8

5 Viviani Elia Deceuninck - Quick Step 9 7 4

6 Roglič Primož Team Jumbo-Visma 9 3 4

7 Ackermann Pascal BORA - hansgrohe 9 2 6

8 Coquard Bryan Vital Concept - B&B Hotels 7 4 3

9 Lutsenko Alexey Astana Pro Team 7 0 1

10 Schachmann Maximilian BORA - hansgrohe 6 1 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

When is the rankings re team size for worlds taken.
    Sam must be pusing Ire up the rankings on his own.

Esroh wrote: »
    When is the rankings re team size for worlds taken.
    Sam must be pusing Ire up the rankings on his own.

Apparently finished at the weekend after the European Road Race so BinckBank points will be counted towards next years quota

Just checked and qualifying finished on the 11th August and Ireland ended 19th so will get maximum of 6 riders. The only interesting one is Denmark edged out GB for 10th so Team GB will only have 6 riders as opposed to 8. The rankings have not been officially confirmed yet

https://www.uci.org/road/rankings

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Binck Bank Bonanza

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

stage 5 is 190 km of flatness. Tomorrow and final stage are a bit lumpier, but there's another stage there for him

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Searchers

Sam’s on a drive for five.....

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭f1000

Won by 0.006 seconds :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Silly question, but is there any chance he can hang on for the overall win or will the two tough classic type days be too much for him?

I only ask because, IIRC, he got up in the Giro on a day that was not supposed to be for the pure sprinters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Thud

With Vuelta coming up can't see him killing himself in the hills trying for GC here. His comments after last two stages sound like he put a lot of effort in to stay in mix for sprints so probably be happy to take it easy in hills and try for flat stage wins

• Advertisement

There is a TT to factor in too, all be it a short one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Stage 4 is short and has 6 climbs. 3x1km at 11% and 3x1km at 7.5% (its 3 laps of the same course).
    Sam can certainly get over those all going well ( the last climb comes a good bit before the finish).
    Stage 5 is flat (as in pancake)
    Stage 6 a tt bit a short pancake flat one, if he's in the jersey could well hold on to it here.
    Stage 7 is a tough one though. the Bosberg, the Valkenberg and Gerardsbergen for the finale (think its 13 bergs in total). I can't see him holding it there and tbh that kind of colours how much effort he and the team will put into defending it tomorrow.

Thats just my sensible head though.
    My fan head says he'll do a 1982 Paris Nice SK like ride and suddenly go all GC like and pulverise the opposition and win by a mile ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

Watching the highlights on YouTube from eurosport that win was destined at the bridge before the finish. Smurfit kappa truck up above as the riders went under :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

neris wrote: »
    Watching the highlights on YouTube from eurosport that win was destined at the bridge before the finish. Smurfit kappa truck up above as the riders went under :D:D

There has been 'something' about Sams wins this week..........he looks really comfortable, strong and really measuring his efforts. His willingness to get into the best position and not be bullied is a long way from his early years as a pro. Even his physique looks to have changed a bit in the past months, he looks more like Sagan in built/lower body strength and has some of that Sagan swagger, confident in himself and - in Stage 1 especially - always looking like he was going to win. Confidence does that I guess; winning becomes a habit, long may it continue. I hope he has Milan-San Remo 2020 leadership nailed on to whatever contract he is about to sign.....

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Nae too bad today, ended up 19 seconds down in the GC. A time bonus tomorrow and sticking at it in the TT and the Muur and he has a chance at a top 10 if he wants that I suppose. Wellens, De Plus and Naesen have to be favourites for the overall but Phillipsen could surprise too.

More like 14:53 down according to procycling stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

More like 14:53 down according to procycling stats.

You're right! Sorry about that, it didn't show him finishing in the bit I saw of the live broadcast so I just assumed I missed him. Twas wrong on two different sites so presumably released by the race org. It makes more sense not to try for GC here I think.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,990 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Binck Bank Bummer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

With tomorrow being a TT and Sunday being a climby Flanders sort of astage, should Sam bale out and rest up (stay safe..>) for the Vuelta now ?

• Advertisement

Really there is no real risk with the TT and I presume the classic stage will be blown to pieces like stage 4 yesterday so should be spread out and less risk of bunch type crashes. On a personal level I would like him to see it out and take home the points classification jersey but i am not sure if that is a priority for Sam and Bora.

Advertisement