Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chance of a lifetime "King's Ametyst"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

thanks for all your comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You're a braver man than me (then again I'm not a man!) - if it were me I'd be considering taking up bridge or tiddlywinks at this stage :D

Have you identified what exactly failed to bring the mast down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Rum all round....!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

It's terrible when that happens - an awful feeling. Am I correct in thinking that the forestay, foil, or furler failed and the mast came down. You then cut away the rigging to get the mast safely on board. At least you have all the bits and can re-rig. After all you have done over the past few years, you will pick yourself up and be back in action in no time.
    Jim

Having had time for reflection
    There’s no one reason the mast came down
    Mostly it’s down to my inexperience
    Bas sail choice
    Bad tactics
    Bad luck
    I could write a book about what happened
    Basically the jib sail was probably to big; I had two reefs in the main.
    She went over and the mast spreaders touched the water’ came back up; only to be knocked down again.
    This time on the way up; the starboard shrouds gave’ maybe because I had just got the jib sail on the winch. I should have immediately left go the sheet. It may or may not have made a difference.
    I have a fair idly as to why it happened; I just cant seem to express it, but it’s mostly down to my actions.
    We live and learn.
    So back to the mast after stripping it down and checking for damage.
    I have reattached the gooseneck’ strengthened the spreaders’ replaced bolts and added a few more.
    Taken of the forestay’ it is now part of the backstay’ removed all of the electric’s lights wind direction indicator vhf aerial they did not survive the trip to the bottom.
    Removed the mast head and foot and ran one new rope true the mast for the topping lift
    I only lost one rope
    So once I have the new standing rigging sorted; and the new electric’s fitted, I should be good to go.
    Maybe a week or two with luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

copper12 wrote: »
    .......So once I have the new standing rigging sorted; and the new electric’s fitted, I should be good to go.
    Maybe a week or two with luck :)

That’s good news. FWIW in my view the knockdown was a contributor, not the cause. I’d guess that the rigging needed replacement. The forestay had already gone, so the rest probably was an accident waiting to happen. You do not want that where you are going – in my corner of the SW at the moment it’s blowing 3-5 and more in gusts and the ar$e has fallen out of the barometer since last night.

It’s been a busy couple of weeks
    The mast is almost ready to be stepped
    I had a bit of trouble sourcing the t-pices
    Finally I have got all eight; the last two today
    I will get them made up tomorrow
    Hopefully by the weekend I will be sailing again or at least have the mast up.

So far I have repaired the spreaders and the gooseneck’ rewired and fitted a super nova LED tricolour and anchor light.
    Deck and mast head light’ the vhf aerial seemed ok’ so I spliced in the cable; and fitted the wind vane.
    I’ve gone with crimped fittings for the ends of the stays, and shrouds; along with stainless steel open turnbuckles
    Ran a new halyard for the one that was lost; the old ones, I might be able to use a sheets later on,
    Fitted a proper connection for the vang; and lowered one of the steps’ as when up the mast standing on the last two steps, I was waist high with the mast head; now I will be chest high’ much better and safe.
    So the next couple of days I will move her to the pontoon and repair the deck and sort out some of the wiring. Service the engine and anything that needs some attention:)

Evening all
    I got the mast up yesterday no real problems except the Crain caught the vhf aerial
    I have to replace it a soon as possible I need to go up the mast anyway as dumbo here fitted the wind vane the wrong way round .:o
    Wired up the electric’s everything works ok anchor light tricolour and deck and streaming light
    I still need to fit four toggles as the originals were to small
    So all in all I should be back sailing during the week if not tomorrow evening depending an how well
    Everything goes when I fit the sails tomorrow :)

Evening all
    I got the mast up yesterday no real problems except the Crain caught the vhf aerial
    I have to replace it a soon as possible I need to go up the mast anyway as dumbo here fitted the wind vane the wrong way round .:o
    Wired up the electric’s everything works ok anchor light tricolour and deck and streaming light
    I still need to fit four toggles as the originals were to small
    So all in all I should be back sailing during the week if not tomorrow evening depending an how well
    Everything goes when I fit the sails tomorrow :)

Keep an eye on the tension of the rigging for a while - new stuff will stretch a bit before it settles down. When you are happy with it make sure to wire up the turnbuckles. Enjoy being back on the water.:)

Evening all
    Well I turned the wind vane lowering the steps made it easier to work around the mast head
    Fitted the roller drum fitted and raised the mainsail everything seem to work ok
    I have to run one reefing line and that should be the mainsail sorted I was not able to examine the mainsail as it was to blustery I did do some repairs during the week so maybe everything will be ok
    So as soon as the weather improves I take her for a trip around the harbour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Great photo.

mast%20stern_zpsya6vexrv.jpg

Hi Copper,
    I hope that halliard is not from Lidl.... I was stuck a couple of years ago near the end of the season and used their 'sailing range' for just a few weeks.....absolute zero wearability.

Jasus Pedro you don’t miss much :P
    It’s the topping lift; I will be changing it tomorrow along with the guides for the reefing lines
    Fit a few toggles’ to the shrouds and I should be good to go

Jasus Pedro you don’t miss much :P
    It’s the topping lift; I will be changing it tomorrow along with the guides for the reefing lines
    Fit a few toggles’ to the shrouds and I should be good to go

Better to discover it here than when trying to reef and beat off a lee shore.
    Old F@rts like me are around still because we notice things and have learned by experience to look, observe and not miss things. Lots of people here, including me, are cheering for you Copper. We don’t want to see a relative newbie to sailing going into harm’s way.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

fergal.b wrote: »
    Great photo.

mast%20stern_zpsya6vexrv.jpg

i feel dizzy

Better to discover it here than when trying to reef and beat off a lee shore.
    Old F@rts like me are around still because we notice things and have learned by experience to look, observe and not miss things. Lots of people here, including me, are cheering for you Copper. We don’t want to see a relative newbie to sailing going into harm’s way.:)

Hope all goes well.
    Talking about harm's way and safety, I'd like to see someone on a winch when looking down from the mast.
    Jim.

JamesM wrote: »
    Hope all goes well.
    Talking about harm's way and safety, I'd like to see someone on a winch when looking down from the mast.
    Jim.
    Copper sails single-handed, hence the steps on the mast. He uses a safety harness...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Quick question based on the straight spreaders: Are there runners and jackstays yet to be attached?

If not, why?

As in what's going to keep the mast up downwind with a non swept back rig? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

I think I see a back stay? I also thought the spreader angle was unusual though, more common to see them swept aft somewhat.

Pete67 wrote: »
    I think I see a back stay?
    Was just going to post the same!

There's definitely something running down to the transom.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Pete67 wrote: »
    I think I see a back stay? I also thought the spreader angle was unusual though, more common to see them swept aft somewhat.

Non swept back spreaders are common enough in the IOR 'tonner' rigs but they all need runners and / or jackstays to keep the mast up. Not really single hand friendly.

I have straight spreaders and twin backstays. You do not need runners unless you have a pronounced roach on the mainsail. I think that you can also see lower stays close to the lower spreader.
    Copper12, What kind of safety harness do you use. Do you clip on the the step above as you climb ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Just came across this rigging check list might be worth a look http://safe-skipper.com/rig-check-essential-boat-maintenance-for-sailboats/ If your stopping off in Skerries on your trip give me a shout if you need fuel or supplies, or a pint :)

Steve wrote: »
    Quick question based on the straight spreaders: Are there runners and jackstays yet to be attached?

If not, why?

As in what's going to keep the mast up downwind with a non swept back rig? :)
    From memory Ceo has a backstay that splits to both corners of the transom - I recall we had a debate about it waaay back as it was unclear on the rigging plan and looked as if she had runners (horrible things!)

Copper12, What kind of safety harness do you use. Do you clip on the step above as you climb

James not while climbing I use three point contact;’
    It means at all times I have three anchor points while moving an arm or a leg .
    When on top I attach the wraparound so I can lean back and be hands free so to speak .
    Top shrouds middle and four lower shrouds swept forward and back ;split backstay
    The photos might help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Photo0470.jpg (202.0 KB, 10 views)

Is there a dirty big crack in the mounting for the boom?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Is there a dirty big crack in the mounting for the boom?

Looks like a mastic sealant is 'cracked' rather than the gooseneck?

Evening all
    The journey has begun
    Left the mooring last Monday the 22 of may by 6.
    I had the sails up and was off
    Weather was not great heavy fog and mist just past kin sail the tablet that I had navionic on packed up
    I opted to head for Glandore heavy fog made it difficult to locate Adam’s however I found him I almost bumt into him
    Picked up a mooring at 10 pm not much time to spear
    Next day I headed for Crookhaven got there at a respectable time 9pm picking up one of the visitor moorings these or a joke you would want to be Hercules to be able to lift one.
    Left next mooring bright and early and headed off I was now only using compass bearings maps headings and anything else I could think off to make do.
    Just after Clear island there was heavy mist and low cloud cover so I was sailing blind so to speak just a compass bearing when the fog came down I motored sailed in order to keep a heading to the bull island
    I was about a mile from it before it appeared delighted with myself I took a few photos only to find out ten minuet’s later it was the cow I had rounded set a coerce for the skelligs then onto dingle harbour fungy was there to greet me it was almost 9.30 pm by the time I tied up went up the village for something to eat everything was shut so had to settee for a Chinese.
    Next morning I had to walk a kilometre or more carrying two twenty litres of diesel I could scratch my knees without bending after;
    Off again early heading for killbaha or carragaholt bay instead I ended up in killkey as the wind was just right picked the best looking mooring late in the evening and headed off next mooring for the Arran islands again with good winds I ended up in Innisboffin; difficult enough harbour to get into very narrow like derrynane harbour all this time my speed log was not working so I decided to lean her against the pier next day to see if I could see what the problem was
    So next morning at 6am with the sound of corncrakes lifting the mooring an no phone rigging as this too has packed up; I heeded for the slip there was very high winds in the harbour so just before I got to the slip I took the engine out of gear just to get my bearings about forty feet from the slip
    So decided to tie up ¾ off the way up the slip so into gear went forward about ten feet and promptly went aground stuck fast onto a hidden shelf I had drifted in a minute or so off the line
    I tried everything to get her off but the high winds kept shoving me back on tried the dingy with the electric motor only to lose the battery overboard
    So I had to send a distress call Pan Pan as the tide started to drop
    While waiting I had a chance to walk around and could see no other rocks around me so put her into reverse as the is a fierce prop wash to starboard and this might turn me into the wind; shore enough it worked and I mortared and bumped off the ledge blessed I was
    After all that it was the connection into the display unit was the problem with the speed log
    At least I got a chance to inspect for damage and give her a wash down
    So yesterday evening I headed for either Achill island or Blacksod bay and ended up in broad haven
    This was my first night sail and I will not do it again without some form of chart plotter.
    Although my bearing were spot on up to now by night it’s totally different red light look yellow from a distance and some lights you would be nearly on top of before you would see them
    A case in point was the bearing I had to an AIS buoy north off Clare island just to the west off this there’s bills rocks not light up so on a bearing from the AIS I headed due west to avoid bills rocks with a lot of room to spear this I duly done for an hour or so only to glance at the depth sounder and it was reading 10 meters twenty minuets before it was reading 95 meters of water
    I immediately hove to and scrambled for the maps coerce plotter and notes I had made all the time the depth was varying between 10 and 5 meters this was at about 1.30am
    All checked put me twenty miles from bills rocks so nothing for it but wait for the dawn
    So on with the kettle and while having some Coffey and a fag I put a fishing line over the side after 80 meters I ran our of line still not convinced I got a GPS fix from the radio it placed me in 110 metres of water after reading the manufactures’ literature I was convinced that when the sounder went over 99 meters it went back to 0 so I headed off shaken by the experience and a little nervous the dept sounder still reading very low numbers so I changed coerce to a shallow bank of 70 meters and sure enough it started reading correctly after a few miles again over 100 meters of water it went back to single figures
    So this has been an eventful week I hope the next week is better :D

Wow! What an adventure already!!!

Fair play to you..... lovely to hear of things being done "old school".... although I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to try it myself :D

Continued fair sailing to you, I look forward to hearing about the rest of your voyage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

What a beautiful boat and impressive restoration.

I've been lurking and really impressed with such a skilled restoration and how enthusiastic you are. If everyone who sails was this enthusiastic, the sport would be thriving all around the coast.

But I felt I had to comment, because I'm becoming increasingly alarmed by your posts.

Ignoring 2016 (your first year on the water), in your 2017 updates so far the following has happened:

- Conflicting weather reports: took the nicest one and when the heavier wind appeared, couldn't put a reef in the main. Unable to change headsail.
    - Snapped forestay due to furling drum turning the wrong way, then went aground getting into Crosshaven.
    - Lost the mast after multiple knock downs with headsail too big
    - Sailing in fog with no navionics despite being inexperienced, then continuing on with journey rather than sorting out a fix for them
    - Went aground in Inishbofin on falling tide and had to send pan pan
    - Night sailing alone with no plotter, no experience of night sailing and nobody aboard with experience of night sailing.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but it's not normal to lose the mast or run aground. They're sorta once or twice in a lifetime events. Every single incident on that list was entirely avoidable. Anyone with reasonable experience and seamanship, sailing solo, would have avoided them.

I REALLY hate being the negative nancy here, especially when it's someone who's so keen and is clearly developing such a love of the sea and of sailing, but I am genuinely concerned for your safety.

I would ask you to please go home. Please do not do a solo round Ireland when you are so inexperienced.

Take some sailing lessons. Keep doing the short trips. I see you've done a day skipper course. Fantastic! Think about doing the coastal yachtmaster (or even doing the day skipper again, with more knowledge of what it's like to be on a longer passage) and build up your knowledge. Take someone with you for a couple of night passages.

It's such a beautiful boat, and I'd love to keep reading this thread and maybe a year from now see you head off safely with lots more knowledge and experience behind you, and be able to go around Ireland taking in all the sights rather than going from one issue to the next.

Take care.

Advertisement