Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chance of a lifetime "King's Ametyst"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

As well as the electric Torqeedo outboards on my cat, I have a 2.3 inflatable with a 30lb electric outboard that cost me £99.00 about 9 years ago from Amazon. It is powered by a 75 amp hour AGM battery, which is not too heavy. I am based on Lough Derg, so I don't have to use the inflatable for long distances, although, I have travelled up and back down the Woodford river without a problem. Your motor will have the power to drive the inflatable OK, but I feel that your battery is a bit on the small side. If there is any wind, or you want to move at a reasonable speed, you will be running on the 4 or 5 throttle setting and you will be lucky to do a 10 minute each way run, into a beach or across the bay to a shop etc. I am not very good with calculations in volts amps etc., but will you be charging the battery with the boat's main engine, or a generator? If you use the outboard a lot, it may take a good bit of charging to keep its battery at full power. Keep your oars handy. Happy cruising this season.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

Thanks for your response James
    I hear what you are saying.
    I was going to go for, a sixty amp hour AGM battery.
    It was, being able to handle a battery of this size, standing on a small dingy’ that made me look into the lithium battery.
    60ah battery drawn down 50 percent; if I want it to last any amount of time, gives me thirty amp hours to work with.
    The golf battery’ at roughly 20ah, gives me 20ah, lithium works differently to lead acid batteries.
    I can only go on my experience to date; and last year sailing from Cork to Finet; other than getting a lift from the life boat into Baltimore.
    I had to berth at pontoons, or stay onboard’ this gets expensive at thirty to forty Euro a pop.
    I have tested the motor twice now; at setting no 4 ; this I hope will be the normal setting’ for getting me about’ the first test it lasted forty minuet’s the second forty five; I will have to charge and discharge’ the battery, two or three more times’ before I get a indication as to how long I get’ motoring as this setting .
    If I get up to fifty minuets’ then this should be more than enough for most moorings’ or anchorage.
    If not then I still have the 4hp on the transom
    It’s the charge, and discharge, and long life of the lithium battery, that I went for.
    Only time will tell, I can always get another battery and run it in series’ and it will still weigh far less than a lead acid battery.
    I intend to charge the battery onboard; the charger draws 1amp, and it takes three and a half hours to reach full charge.
    the 100ah leisure battery’ charged from the wind generator and engine; can handle the charge.
    However the charger and battery is so small; it will fit easily in my backpack; and I can charge it while having a pint; and updating my charts with the free wi-fi. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

It looks like you have thought it out pretty well. I just went for the cheapest way out. Light is good. I do have a handy Bulmers 6-can cool bag with handles that the battery sits snugly into :).
    One of the lads in the club is using a golf battery (not sure what type) that he already had and has no problem getting out to and back from his mooring.
    You have the right idea - The easier you make a task, the more you'll relax and enjoy your cruising.
    Jim.

Evening all
    I went out sunday and learnt the importance of interpreting the weather forecast
    What i mean is taking the worst of several forecast and acting on it
    One said 10 to 15 knots the other 20 to 25 knots
    Of course of course i took the better one :confused:
    Just as well i put on the jib sail and not the jenoa
    I was going to put in a reef but decided not to; this i would regret:(
    At one stage’ out passed roches point the wind indicator read 33 knots:eek:
    While i did not lose control
    Neither was i in complete control
    I learnt the value of depowering the mainsail and its limitations
    An exciting day to say the least ;)
    The rigging and the mast held up just as well i sorted out the mast foot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I use this site for surfing, it's in german but it's easy to figure out, GFS, 10M wind is most useful.
    http://old.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsavneur.html

Also get PocketGrib for you phone, it's worth paying for it to get the extra few says of forecast, but the free version is good enough for a weekend.

The wind symbols are easy to read if you know what they are, the long side is the direction, each full bar is 10 knots, a half is 5 knots. Be carefull with the forecast on TV they give KM not knots.

• Advertisement

space hopper I had a look at the sites
    I usually go with meterain and wind guru and synoptic charts.
    However having the time I looked at others and basically had to much information
    I had all the information I needed
    I made the wrong decision not to put in the reefs
    I should have taken my own advise.
    The most important thing here is I learnt a valuable lesson
    And learnt that Ceo Na Mara can handle a fair amount of punishment.
    This weekend looks to be pretty much the same weather wise
    If I get out I will put in the reefs and see what difference it will make

The charts for going around the big rock just arrived
    Last year I found them of more use than the ipad chart plotter
    Folded and put into a plastic folder they were in arms reach in the cockpit

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Copper, you should be able to put a reef in the main with the sail up while at sea.
    It's not just something that you do when preparing to go out, you should be able to react to changing conditions.

Same goes for the foresail - you shouldn't be stuck with your first choice.

I imagine that both these things could be difficult to do when sailing solo but you need to be able to react to quickly changing conditions.

Copper, you should be able to put a reef in the main with the sail up while at sea.
    It's not just something that you do when preparing to go out, you should be able to react to changing conditions.

Your right
    On reflection I should have put in two reefs last weekend
    It is something I will have to master.
    It was inexperience; and a little of fear’ that I didn’t put in a reef.
    Having been out in 30 to 35kn winds I now know what to expect.
    While I would tackle putting a reef’ on the mainsail, while out for the day.
    I would be reluctant to change the head sail unless it was absolutely necessary.
    However at some stage I will have to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

If you have to take a reef, I always find it easiest to heave to first, especially when short handed, provided of course that you have sea room available. This will slow the boat, reduce heel, and take most of the pressure off the main allowing the sliders to move much more easily in their track.

Do you have dual forestays and a spare halyard? If so, you can rig a second pair of sheets, (or use the spinnaker sheets) and hoist a smaller headsail inside the larger one. Then ease the sheet on the outside sail and drop it behind the new one.

I'd recommend practising in light winds before you have to do it in anger.

Evening all
    I fitted a lazy jack system’ to help with the reefing’ and lowering of he main sail.
    It’s the aldi version; I post a few photos when I can.
    I am hoping to careen; Coe na Mara, Saturday’ in order to change a sea Cox’ and clean the speed log.
    It will also give me the chance to touch up any antifouling if need be.
    I have almost all the charts for going around Ireland; in May’ and have marked out the harbours and bolt holes; so the can be seen at a glance if needs be.
    There’s a handy link to an app.
    http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts.com/i-boating-fishing-web-app/fishing-marine-charts-navigation.html#10/54.8195/-5.6558

• Advertisement

The careening went ok
    I brought her in’ about an hour before high tide, and tied her off.
    While waiting for the tide to drop’ I went around and cleaned as mush as I could.
    It was just as well I did, as I was standing in water’ giving her a few final touches by the time I was finished.
    I was maybe a hour and a half before high tide before I reversed her out
    I still have aches and pains’ from muscles’ I didn’t even know I had.:o
    what a dirty job
    Its just as well I will only be doing this once a year:p

I also fitted a lazy jacks system
    I first fitted the line to the lower spreader this was a waste off time.
    So I had to run it to the top spreader this made a lot of difference.
    Up and down the mast a dozen or more times; was exciting since she is on a swinging mooring.
    I had to make quite a few adjustments’ before I got things working, and I have no dought I will make some more.

Evening all
    Have been working away with the lazy jack system.
    The first effort, while it worked great when I dropped the sail; every so often it would catch the batons when hoisting the mainsail.
    When not in use’ I would have to leave it set up; as there was lines everywhere, if I took it down .
    The next system I tried; is a folding system; the same amount of lines’ while hoisted, just a little further back. It makes use of three stainless steel rings either side of the sail there’s much less friction
    I got 60 metres of 5mm Para cord on the net 25euro.
    While it’s to stretchy it will have to do for now I will change it over time.
    This worked out quite well, it will still need a few tweaks’ here and there, before I am satisfied.
    It allows me to lower the control lines, when I need to fit the sail cover’ or while hoisting the sail .
    A quick pull on the control lines, sets it up for when I need to drop the mainsail’ it is much tidier than my first effort.

Evening all
    I had an exciting weekend
    I tried out the lazy jack system in anger
    I was out Friday’ after sailing to the Sovereigns just outside Kinsale; I returned to Chrosshaven
    Just off fort Camdon’ a boat came across me blowing a horn .
    Since I am fairly new to this; I came about.
    It turned out he was looking for a TOW and me in full sail.:eek:
    Anyway to make a long storey even longer; I tried to furl the head sail even though the wind was to high,
    I had to use a winch; something I had been told not to do; I got it in most of the way in and then lowered the mainsail. The lazy jacks worked a treat.
    All this was done in a bit of a hurry.
    I got back into the cockpit’ only to hear a mighty crack; the forestay had snapped, and the furling gear forestay and everything attached; lashed the mast’ right where I was standing only moments before .
    Panic stations; the Genoa had unfurled and spread across the spreaders’ furling drum swinging wildly,
    And sheets in the water ’ backstays flapping around as well. Ohh s***t this is all I need.:(
    I had a quick look around to see how much room I had to work with; tide had turned, and I was being pushed in the harbour’ so no worries’ there as long as I kept an eye on things.
    With the furling drum flying around the place’ I need somehow to secure this; as if I got a slap of that then lights out.
    I managed to tie it down somewhat .
    Next thing try and save the mast as by this time; I could see that it was leaning well back .
    I had a spear halyard set up since day one; and I used this to secure it to the bow cleat’ and winched the mast forward enough’ to take some of the strain off the lower shrouds.
    Pulled in the sheets and tried to secure as much of the Genoa as I could, it was still caught up it the spreaders flapping and making a hell of a racket.
    All this done; I made my way into Chrosshaven at 1 ½ half to 2 knots’ the Genoa acting like a wind break.
    My plan was to drop the anchor’ as soon as I was in the wind shadow of curraghbinny headland.
    As I made my way towards this headland; I decided I was closer to a mooring then the anchor spot; so I went for this; about ten to fifteen metres from the mooring’ I promptly went aground and stuck in the mud .
    I could not have got stuck in a better place’ out of the wind and stable not swinging around the place; how lucky can I get.
    I took down the Genoa and secured the mast properly .
    I made myself a cup of Coffey and had a Fag; and I could not tell if I was either very unlucky’ or blessed with luck, as I intend to sail around Ireland starting next week . Better something like this happens now then if I am off shore.
    So Tuesday I bought a new forestay 7/16 316 8mm wire and fitted it and repaired the other shrouds so all ready to go :D
    Ohh your man passed me as I was stuck in the mud not even a wave :mad:

Not to sure what’s happening with the spelling since I am dyslexic I have to use a word processor every time I Wright; when I copy and past everything looked ok:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Yep better now than on your big trip, dyslexic myself we weren't given a good brain so we got good hands instead :D

copper12 wrote: »
    Not to sure what’s happening with the spelling since I am dyslexic I have to use a word processor every time I Wright; when I copy and past everything looked ok:)
    So we are all in the same boat, try opening up note pad, cut and paste from word to it then from notepad into boards, it will clean up all the font stuff.

Or don't bother use fire fox and enable spell checking it should catch most stuff.

How did you get off the mud?

i had another cup of coffey and a fag and chilled what else could i do while i waited for the tide :)

i had another cup of coffey and a fag and chilled what else could i do while i waited for the tide :)

do you not keeps some jammie dodgers on the boat too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

.......Anyway to make a long storey even longer; I tried to furl the head sail even though the wind was to high, I had to use a winch; something I had been told not to do........

Hi Copper,
    Glad you and Ceo are well and survived without too much damage. You were lucky not to lose the mast. The ‘event’ is odd……. the furler is for when the wind is high, there should not be any need for a winch if the genoa sheet is free. Something got fouled….
    Two things –firstly, I wonder did the deck fitting/turnbuckle simply unscrew because it was not wired up?
    Secondly, if the forestay did ‘snap’ did you have the correct set-up? The genoa should be reefed in the same direction as the direction the strands turn on the forestay. Check that the rotation of the drum is correct for the lay of the wire / forestay – you need right hand lay if the drum turns clockwise. If you have a left hand lay wire and a clockwise rotation the wire will open up under pressure (especially if using a winch :eek:) when the drum spins and this will reduce the strength of the wire. When that happens it usually breaks just above the crimp.
    Best of luck for the voyage,
    P

• Advertisement

Jammy dodgers none ginger nut biscuits’ plenty
    Pedro you are probably right about the forestay
    This time when I put it under any pressure it will turn in the direction of the lay of the wire
    I have made up a boom vang I will try it out over the weekend
    I must also make up a boom break after looking online I nearly had a hart attack over the price
    £350 for a piece of plastic :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

copper12- I know nothing about boats. But I'm enjoying your thread/Journey with this project. Thanks for keeping it going.

Pedro you are probably right about the forestay
    This time when I put it under any pressure it will turn in the direction of the lay of the wire
    You were not the first and certainly will not be the last to miss that!
    £350 for a piece of plastic :eek:
    Cheap for boaty plastic! :pac:

I got the smartrooler working ok now it seems I had the drum turning the wrong way and this led to the forestay breaking .
    It’s a bit temperamental if I have the sail to tight then it wont furl properly .
    I’ve convinced myself that I need a boom break however since I properly wont be using it to often.
    I wait and see if I can come across something that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.
    On of the mountain climbing shop should have something.
    In the mean time I tried out a couple of things I had lying about
    The first effort kind of worked if the steel was more rounded it would have offered less resistance.
    The second effort worked a treat :D it can be set up fairly quickly.:P

Disaster
    I went out for a final shakedown yesterday evening
    I’m to upset to say anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

My sailing knowledge is primarily from Patrick O Brien books. Is that the main mast or part of a foresail or similar.

Commiserations Copper. Hopefully you are uninjured.
    beauf wrote: »
    My sailing knowledge is primarily from Patrick O Brien books. Is that the main mast or part of a foresail or similar.
    It is a series of photos showing the aftermath of a dismasting. The shrouds are not attached to the bottlescrews/turnbuckles holding up the mast. The mast is no longer there, as indicated by the empty mast-step (image2). The damage to the toe-rail is not a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,855 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Bad luck mate. Don't know what else to say without sounding trite and making you feel worse than you probably already do.

But better that it happened yesterday than halfway up the Atlantic coast.

Hope you are OK where you able to save the mast, if it's any help saw one suitable for a 26 ft boat on donedeal or adverts with a boom and sails. Get on to your insurance and see what they say.

• Advertisement

Some good news
    I got the mast back
    While there’s some minor damage there’s nothing that I cannot repair
    I even got the sails back undamaged I had cut the foot of each louse so they would move freely maybe this helped save them
    So news shrouds and fittings and I should be good to go hopefully:)

Advertisement