Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

some man, if thats the bad driving i encounter on a cycle im a happy man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

You really just have to get on with it. The driver of the black car didn't seem to even want to engage with the cyclist.

I took a cycle along the canal tonight, myself and the bike were destroyed with bugs from the fairly quick downhill cycle back plus I made a point of staying in front of the lad on an electric bike. Used muc off cleaning stuff when I got back and it's brand new again but keeping it that way is the plan. Anybody ever use car waxes? I keep my car minty fresh and use top quality waxes and sealants from www.detailingshed.com so I'm thinking a coat of Chemical Guys Blacklight followed by a coat of Chemical Guys Pete's53 wax. Rain and spray will just fall off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Another mouthy helmet cam hero. Why can't these plebs just get over it and carry on? I'd love to have enough time on my hands to stop and whinge everytime I see something stupid happen on the road and then sit down in a angry hobbit hole to edit the footage.

And then some people have enough time on their hands to stop and whinge everytime they see something stupid here on boards.ie cycling forum - not sure I see the huge difference there...
    You really just have to get on with it. The driver of the black car didn't seem to even want to engage with the cyclist.

I guess that once he realised that the cyclist had the evidence to make certain that the van driver's insurance would be on the hook, he might have changed his tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

RainyDay wrote: »
    And then some people have enough time on their hands to stop and whinge everytime they see something stupid here on boards.ie cycling forum - not sure I see the huge difference there...

With respect, I think there is a fundamental difference. Boards is all about expressing your views usually in response to what someone else has posted. Cycling is about getting from A to B in an efficient, safe and hopefully enjoyable manner. Recording that cycle, editing and captioning the footage and then posting it is a lot more work and generally a lot more boring notwithstanding the karma aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

:rolleyes: b8af7c40c3169a2e8068e2243c5f2dd65cd7c6314bd4c1ca0d330e0ad910c333.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Another mouthy helmet cam hero. Why can't these plebs just get over it and carry on?...
    Over the past few months I've encountered more and more 'mouthy' types in heavy traffic who are abusing motorists for very trivial matters and expecting support from cyclists like myself who just want to get on with it. If there's a vehicle blocking the cycle track, just go around it FFS. I can't understand how some cyclists say it impedes their progress yet they seem to have time to film it, photograph it, or stop to abuse the driver.

Recently, I was heading inbound on Dorset Street and stopped in the centre lane at the lights at Gardiner Street or NCR turn (can't recall which one). Cyclist on the lane on my left was also stopped blocking the left turn only lane. Motorist behind gave a small beep (as the left turn filter light had come on) and the cyclist went bananas hurling abuse at him and then he turned to me expecting my support. He wasn't interested when I pointed out the clearly marked left turn only lane. I had to do the slow head shake and move off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

This trail looks mouthwatering:

http://www.ironcurtaintrail.eu/en/die_etappen/index.html
    20 nations are part of the Iron Curtain Trail project, among them 14 members of the EU.
    The path starts at the Barents Sea along the Norwegian-Russian and Finnish-Russian border, passes a short stretch of the coasts of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, Kaliningrad, Poland and the former GDR. From Lübeck to the three-nation border (Saxony-Bavaria-Czech Republic) the path follows the former German-German border. Then it follows the highlands of the Bohemian Forest, passes Moravia and the Slovak capital of Bratislava and crosses the Danube near Vienna.
    It then follows the southern border of Hungary via Slovenia and Croatia. Between Rumania and Serbia it follows in the main the Danube, and, via Bulgaria, Macedonia and Greece to end at the northernmost point of Turkey on the Black Sea coast.

Apparently it's now being used by desperate Syrians cycling to freedom in Norway.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Did I just hear a Garmin beep in the latest 'Inside the peloton' video footage (after the crash)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Luxman wrote: »
    Did I just hear a Garmin beep in the latest 'Inside the peloton' video footage (after the crash)?

Yup. Good job a few of them seem to have them on auto pause. That'd screw up your strava segment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

Presume it will be Nico, Deignan and Sam Bennett going to the Road Race World champs now that Dan (and Matt) is injured?

• Advertisement

With respect, I think there is a fundamental difference. Boards is all about expressing your views usually in response to what someone else has posted. Cycling is about getting from A to B in an efficient, safe and hopefully enjoyable manner. Recording that cycle, editing and captioning the footage and then posting it is a lot more work and generally a lot more boring notwithstanding the karma aspect.

You're right, there is a fundamental difference. The cyclist in the vid is happy to face up to his 'oppressor' (slightly exaggerated, but you get my point) face to face, not hiding behind a keyboard.

Over the past few months I've encountered more and more 'mouthy' types in heavy traffic who are abusing motorists for very trivial matters and expecting support from cyclists like myself who just want to get on with it. If there's a vehicle blocking the cycle track, just go around it FFS. I can't understand how some cyclists say it impedes their progress yet they seem to have time to film it, photograph it, or stop to abuse the driver.
    Do you have the same difficulty understanding how it is worth a clamper's time to clamper a car, and block the road for longer than it would otherwise be blocked, in order to reduce the chances of illegal parking the next day?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You're right, there is a fundamental difference. The cyclist in the vid is happy to face up to his 'oppressor' (slightly exaggerated, but you get my point) face to face, not hiding behind a keyboard.

Do you have the same difficulty understanding how it is worth a clamper's time to clamper a car, and block the road for longer than it would otherwise be blocked, in order to reduce the chances of illegal parking the next day?

I agree with Wishbone, I am all for making myself noticed and more so being opinionated but some of the things you see people give out about beggar belief. I have seen motorists go ballistic at cyclists for holding them back from the traffic jam less than 25m down the road, a few times where it appeared they were going to get out of their vehicle to face their "oppressor". In the same way I have seen some cyclists shout at motorists for stopping and waiting for them to pass or for turning left even though they were in front and indicating.

Some people deserve an earful, but sometimes others should just shut up. Go home and look in the mirror and they will find what they are looking for. Someone who will shout back over nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

BBC did a good documentary on this. The bit about the deer @24mins is amazing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCZwLFB1_Aw

Your comparing apples and oranges there. Retaliating to stupid driving with road rage (and thats all it is) achieves nothing. Do you honestly believe that pointing a camera in someones face and telling them how much of an idiot they are will achieve anything positive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Your comparing apples and oranges there. Retaliating to stupid driving with road rage (and thats all it is) achieves nothing. Do you honestly believe that pointing a camera in someones face and telling them how much of an idiot they are will achieve anything positive?

Yer man missing the kick and crumpling himself on the road saw loads of positivity

CramCycle wrote: »
    I agree with Wishbone, I am all for making myself noticed and more so being opinionated but some of the things you see people give out about beggar belief. I have seen motorists go ballistic at cyclists for holding them back from the traffic jam less than 25m down the road, a few times where it appeared they were going to get out of their vehicle to face their "oppressor". In the same way I have seen some cyclists shout at motorists for stopping and waiting for them to pass or for turning left even though they were in front and indicating.

Some people deserve an earful, but sometimes others should just shut up. Go home and look in the mirror and they will find what they are looking for. Someone who will shout back over nothing.

We all have different buttons to press and different reactions. I don't feel the need to preach to others or complain about what other cyclists react or fail to react to. I'm probably more sensitive than most here, and I probably react more that most here, but I'd be confused at why others would want to impose their standards on me for this.

This is absolutely NOT road rage. You seem to be confused between assertive behaviour and aggressive behaviour. Choosing to engage in a civil manner with another adult who does something to you, possibly involving putting your life at risk is NOT road rage. Road rage is when you slam your D-lock into his door panel or his windscreen or his jaw. Talking (which may necessarily involve shouting, when in traffic) is not rage.

Will it achieve anything positive? Maybe, or maybe not. Maybe 10% of drivers that you talk to will have a positive reaction, or will think more about cyclists the next time they pull out or change lane. Well that's 10% better drivers out there. Or maybe it is 1% or maybe it is 50% - who knows really.

Either way, the one thing that is certain is that NOT doing anything will most certainly NOT achieve anything positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

Hi, just looking for some quick advice, planning on cycling from Navan to Dublin (near Phoenix Park), wondering how long it would take (approx. 50Km)?

Would I do it in 2 hours? Pretty fast cyclist/road bike etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Pompous

Roland27 wrote: »
    Hi, just looking for some quick advice, planning on cycling from Navan to Dublin (near Phoenix Park), wondering how long it would take (approx. 50Km)?

Would I do it in 2 hours? Pretty fast cyclist/road bike etc.

If you're fit, and in any way fast, you should do it in less than 2 hours easily.

According to google maps it takes 50 mins for me to cycle to town, in reality it takes 30 mins.

For the trip you're talking about google estimates 2 hours 10 mins, so I wouldn't be surprised if you did it in as little as 90 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Pompous

Would it be a bad idea to use an Ultegra chain with a Sora/Tiagra drivetrain? Everything is 9 speed if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

Pompous wrote: »
    If you're fit, and in any way fast, you should do it in less than 2 hours easily.

According to google maps it takes 50 mins for me to cycle to town, in reality it takes 30 mins.

For the trip you're talking about google estimates 2 hours 10 mins, so I wouldn't be surprised if you did it in as little as 90 mins.

Excellent, thanks Pompous. Yes I was looking at the distance in google maps and thinking there's no way it'd take that long, 90 mins sounds more realistic, should be grand.

• Advertisement

This is absolutely NOT road rage. You seem to be confused between assertive behaviour and aggressive behaviour. Choosing to engage in a civil manner with another adult who does something to you, possibly involving putting your life at risk is NOT road rage. Road rage is when you slam your D-lock into his door panel or his windscreen or his jaw. Talking (which may necessarily involve shouting, when in traffic) is not rage.

Will it achieve anything positive? Maybe, or maybe not. Maybe 10% of drivers that you talk to will have a positive reaction, or will think more about cyclists the next time they pull out or change lane. Well that's 10% better drivers out there. Or maybe it is 1% or maybe it is 50% - who knows really.

Either way, the one thing that is certain is that NOT doing anything will most certainly NOT achieve anything positive.

Civil manner..."may necessarily involve shouting".
    It will achieve nothing positive. Even if you think the helmet cam hero gang get through to 10% of people they give a road side lecture. The other 90% will tell their friends about the seemingly aggressive cyclist who shouted inaudibly through the window.
    The second someone gets defensive all chances of making them realise a mistake go directly out the window.
    Shake the head at them, wag your finger, whatever. Just get over it and carry on.

Beautiful video. Beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Times have changed muchly now that it's the tiny rational voice in my head arguing AGAINST a spin in the rain.

Maybe If I just take Wolfgang for a Cadence session...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Pompous wrote: »
    Would it be a bad idea to use an Ultegra chain with a Sora/Tiagra drivetrain? Everything is 9 speed if that makes a difference.

No problem at all. It will work fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Wouldn't have thought deer were territorial like that, if it was badgers I would have expected it but not deer. Amazing is right

Fcukers have no fear of electric fence though I'll have to look into doing an iron curtain :)

Civil manner..."may necessarily involve shouting".
    It will achieve nothing positive. Even if you think the helmet cam hero gang get through to 10% of people they give a road side lecture. The other 90% will tell their friends about the seemingly aggressive cyclist who shouted inaudibly through the window.
    The second someone gets defensive all chances of making them realise a mistake go directly out the window.
    Shake the head at them, wag your finger, whatever. Just get over it and carry on.

I'm not seeing much logic here. Some people with get defensive at the 'shake of the head' or 'wag the finger' too. This guy pushed a cyclist into traffic after she raised her finger and made a civil request to him; http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/aug/25/man-pushes-cyclist-into-london-traffic-metropolitan-police

So if our objective is to avoid causing defensiveness, we just have to keep our heads down, and let others put our lives at risk, often for no reason, other than to get to the back of the next queue of traffic a few seconds earlier.

As for your 90% telling their friends, yes, I'm sure that might happen. And I'm sure some of those friends will be thinking 'Yeah, last time I was in your car I was crapping myself, you're a crap driver - cyclist was probably dead right'. And I'm sure some of the 10% who took the good feedback on board will tell their friends 'hey, guess what I learnt today' too.

Again, the one absolute certainty is that if we do nothing, then nothing will improve.

I wouldn't recommend inaudible shouting either. It is usually fairly easy to get a driver to wind down their window, with a nice smile and a bit of sign language.

ford2600 wrote: »
    Wouldn't have thought deer were territorial like that, if it was badgers I would have expected it but not deer. Amazing is right

Fcukers have no fear of electric fence though I'll have to look into doing an iron curtain :)

Perhaps it's the ancestral memory of landmines?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

T-42

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

My new bike has named itself.

Previous bikes have named themselves.

First there was the "Beast Of Ballycullen" aka the AL9

Then there was "Shergars Ghost" aka the ASLX

I toyed with "RedRum" (not sure where the whole horse thing came from) and "Tango 9'r One" for the new one but none of them sat comfortably with me.

I had hoped to do a spin on it tonight but the fupp I was going out in that weather.

It's one of those carbon yokes. I don't know a lot about carbon and keeping it clean.

It wants to be called "Storm"

That's what it said.

Le voyage inaugural du "Storm" will happen!

There maybe be some mini mind thing that I have a throw back too, to my days of working with VW UK where I fell in Love with the original VW Scirocco "Storm"

The first thing I'd buy if I won the lotto.

There must have been some black leather and red trim trigger buried in my head.

So...

eh..

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I just did my first 50k... taking up cycling after 11 years off the bikes and now getting back on at 31. It's tough but really enjoying it as part of my current fitness routine

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement