Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

I'm not sure what variable I would use in my Smash() function.

The brakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

buffalo wrote: »

Either the headline is misleading or the location is wrong. SCR and Con Colbert only meet at one place and, as you say, there's no Luas line there.

It might just be for traffic? The SCR-CC junction is well-known for motorists misbehaving- illegal right from CC onto SCR (i.e. not going round the loop), motorists jumping the queue from St John's Road West/the loop to turn left onto SCR, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

Hi everyone, just had a query (not sure it justifies having it's own thread). I have a bike that feels very comfortable for my upper body but the saddle seems the slightest bit too high. The frame was the smallest size they had and the saddle is on it's lowest. Is there anyway to lower it further (cutting something off inside to allow it to go a bit lower??). I'm a complete newbie as you can probably tell so no clue if that's even possible!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

SillyBeans wrote: »
    Hi everyone, just had a query (not sure it justifies having it's own thread). I have a bike that feels very comfortable for my upper body but the saddle seems the slightest bit too high. The frame was the smallest size they had and the saddle is on it's lowest. Is there anyway to lower it further (cutting something off inside to allow it to go a bit lower??). I'm a complete newbie as you can probably tell so no clue if that's even possible!

Throw up a pic of the saddle and the bike, it should be easy to see if the saddle can be lowered further, it may be just slightly too big though if it can't.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Throw up a pic of the saddle and the bike, it should be easy to see if the saddle can be lowered further, it may be just slightly too big though if it can't.

Will do when I get home, thanks :) Damn my short hobbit legs!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I've never seen branded ones that go on your feet before but you live and learn.....

http://www.adverts.ie/bike-clothes-shoes/cycle-shoes-with-keo-clits/8738299

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

RobFowl wrote: »
    I've never seen branded ones that go on your feet feet before but you live and learn.....

I'd buy them but I wouldn't be able to find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    It might just be for traffic? The SCR-CC junction is well-known for motorists misbehaving- illegal right from CC onto SCR (i.e. not going round the loop), motorists jumping the queue from St John's Road West/the loop to turn left onto SCR, etc.

All around the IMMA is an intense little microcosm or rule-flouting and -bending.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Are your hips rocking when you pedal or are you getting pains in the back of your knees?
    If the saddle can't be lowered any further, a different saddle or seat post might make a difference. Shorter cranks (the bits the pedals are fixed to) would also help and a good bike shop might be prepared to swop them over if there is no wear on the originals.

Another bike fit question.

I rented a bike on hols and I felt more balanced / comfortable on it. I also didn't get a stiff back which I sometimes get on longer hill climbs.

I got the measuring tape out and I noted the following:

Frame size on both bikes was similar.
    The reach (bar to tip of saddle ) on the holiday bike was 4 cm longer.
    The seat was 1cm higher on the holiday bike.
    There was no setback on the seat v 2cm on my own bike.
    Stem on the holiday bike was 2.5cm longer than my own bike.

This seems to suggest I should get a longer stem, increase my saddle height and put the saddle on a zero setback to get a similar fit?

Opinions?

• Advertisement

Are your hips rocking when you pedal or are you getting pains in the back of your knees?
    If the saddle can't be lowered any further, a different saddle or seat post might make a difference. Shorter cranks (the bits the pedals are fixed to) would also help and a good bike shop might be prepared to swop them over if there is no wear on the originals.

My hips rock a little bit. It just makes me feel a bit unsteady in general, I'm just having to stretch a little bit too much when I'm peddling and the side to side movement is really hurting my rear!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

tomasrojo wrote: »
    All around the IMMA is an intense little microcosm or rule-flouting and -bending.

"Art is meant to disturb; science reassures." (Georges Braque)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

My hips rock a little bit. It just makes me feel a bit unsteady in general, I'm just having to stretch a little bit too much when I'm peddling and the side to side movement is really hurting my rear!

Your hips shouldn't be rocking much; with your foot on the bottom pedal and you sitting on the saddle, your knee should be a little bent, and you should be nice and relaxed, not stretching.

Is this a woman's bike or a man's?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

RobFowl wrote: »
    I've never seen branded ones that go on your feet before but you live and learn.....

I can't imagine anything more uncomfortable. Or distracting. Ouch :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

ronoc wrote: »
    Another bike fit question.

I rented a bike on hols and I felt more balanced / comfortable on it. I also didn't get a stiff back which I sometimes get on longer hill climbs.

I got the measuring tape out and I noted the following:

Frame size on both bikes was similar.
    The reach (bar to tip of saddle ) on the holiday bike was 4 cm longer.
    The seat was 1cm higher on the holiday bike.
    There was no setback on the seat v 2cm on my own bike.
    Stem on the holiday bike was 2.5cm longer than my own bike.

This seems to suggest I should get a longer stem, increase my saddle height and put the saddle on a zero setback to get a similar fit?

Opinions?

Get a bike fit done?

I had a Shimano one done and it was the best thing I did, cycling wise.

This was quite a few months after another bike fit were I was put on a bike, looked at, and it was adjusted to suit. That one was a load of bollix IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

2N4A44581.jpg

Something for AstraMonti. Canyon Projekt 3.7 from 2004.
    Far from pretty but amazing to get a bike down to that weight back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Don't think this warrants a new thread ,want get some people's opinions on here on training.

We had a baby girl on Monday .

My question is I'm doing rebel tour and training time will be limited over next few weeks. Any recommendations would be helpful .

Should I start intervals to make the most of my limited time ? Probably 1.5 hrs mid week once or twice a week with possible Sunday spin with club

Or one hardish long session on a Sunday?

I do a strength and conditioning class twice a week on the way from home (helps my bad back) so bar being a bit of Clydesdale I'm fairly strong

Get a bike fit done?

I had a Shimano one done and it was the best thing I did, cycling wise.

This was quite a few months after another bike fit were I was put on a bike, looked at, and it was adjusted to suit. That one was a load of bollix IMO.

Just googled it. Looks very comprehensive.
    Pricey enough!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

shaka wrote: »
    Don't think this warrants a new thread ,want get some people's opinions on here on training.

We had a baby girl on Monday .

My question is I'm doing rebel tour and training time will be limited over next few weeks. Any recommendations would be helpful .

Should I start intervals to make the most of my limited time ? Probably 1.5 hrs mid week once or twice a week with possible Sunday spin with club

Or one hardish long session on a Sunday?

I do a strength and conditioning class twice a week on the way from home (helps my bad back) so bar being a bit of Clydesdale I'm fairly strong

You'll never get to spend time with your newborn daughter again, focus on that.
    Plenty more cycles to be done over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Anyone using the DART with a bike these days. Wondering how easy it would be to get from Clontarf to Dún Laoghaire with a fat bike on DART.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

You can take it on anytime outside rush hour, so not between 7 and 10 am and 3-7pm. You can stick it in beside the door no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Cycled down to the port to have a look at the massive cruise liner down there today. Got a puncture down there. Think I could get the pump apart to reverse the valve inside to make it the right fitting? Of course not. I had to walk from there to cycleways on Parnell st to get sorted.

Could have been worse though, when I was walking back a lad got his bike stuck in the old rail line at the port and bit the tarmac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

ronoc wrote: »
    Just googled it. Looks very comprehensive.
    Pricey enough!

Mine was about 100e. If you are south Dublin based I can PM you the guys details? He has a mobile bike shop so his overheads are quite low. He does the Bike fit at his gaff.

It's handy enough. No lasers or anything! He just takes the various measurements and feeds them into the Shimano software.

When it was done I took a print out of all the bike measurements and use that for any bikes I'm on.

The "fit" PC/Program also has a load of bikes "in it" such a Cube etc so can even be tailored to your exact bike, if it is in the software. Canyon are not :/

The only thing I tweak is the saddle height depending on the saddle and padding.

Prior to the fit I had the saddle height bang on but after the fit I had it moved forward 20mm :eek: and added 20mm to the stem.

The following Road/Comfort. I also have a few others such as "Touring" Bike.
    2vslowi.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Just saw an ad on the tele for the Vauxhall Mokka. It has an intergrated bike rack. That would Be a cool standard to have in cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Once again someone wears a kayaking helmet to increase their protection against falling over and sustaining a low velocity head injury while simultaneously riding around at night with a white rear light and a red front flasher to increase their chances of a road traffic collision on account of their broadcasting the opposite direction of travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Once again someone wears a kayaking helmet to increase their protection against falling over and sustaining a low velocity head injury while simultaneously riding around at night with a white rear light and a red front flasher to increase their chances of a road traffic collision on account of their broadcasting the opposite direction of travel.

Yes.

One of the results of cycling having been unfashionable for a generation is that a lot of people have grown up without the basic knowledge of cycling conventions that was the norm. People don't realise how dangerous it is to signal to an unwary driver that you're coming towards him when in fact you're going away, or that you're receding from him when in fact he's soon going to reach you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

traprunner wrote: »
    Just saw an ad on the tele for the Vauxhall Mokka. It has an intergrated bike rack. That would Be a cool standard to have in cars.
    i was in england last weekend, and the hire car was a vauxhall mokka. i loathed it. it sounded like a tractor, and the 'intelligent' stop-start system on the engine was anything but. same for the automatic wipers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Karma's a b.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Could be captioned: "Unshaven legs wreak havoc "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Another mouthy helmet cam hero. Why can't these plebs just get over it and carry on? I'd love to have enough time on my hands to stop and whinge everytime I see something stupid happen on the road and then sit down in a angry hobbit hole to edit the footage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement