Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

First two Irish riders back in Paris -Paul O'Donoghue and Jim Fitzpatrick - in about 55 hours. Nameless Phil passed through the Loudeac control (782km) about 2 hours ago.

...and the bloody tracker is playing up again

I thought Jim had stopped doing the long stuff, obviously addicted to torture.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

dave fanning is talking to someone about audax or the transcontinental at the moment. radio 1.
    chap called ultan. seems to be about the transcontinental.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Transcon at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Classy if true.

Darron Gibson: Everton midfielder facing court date after alleged drunken hit-and-run in £125,000 car left a cyclist injured
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/darron-gibson-everton-midfielder-facing-court-date-after-drunken-hitand-run-in-125000-car-left-a-cyclist-injured-10461551.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

dave fanning is talking to someone about audax or the transcontinental at the moment. radio 1.

Wow!
    Ultan Coyle from Dundalk.
    Chapeau.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Was it Ultan Coyle? only Ultan I know who done PBP, didn't know he had done transcontinental.

Thanks PX, that answers that

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭youwhoglue

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

A MUST WATCH!!!

One of the Investigators that busted Armstrong interviewed today on The Joe Rogan Podcast.
    The UFC has just brought him onboard to kick ass.

"In his book The Secret Race, former professional cyclist Tyler Hamilton wrote that
    Novitzky drove a "bulldozer" through the sport of cycling in uncovering details about
    the pervasive use of performance enhancing drugs."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Novitzky

And if you haven't watched his podcast before you should check out some other episodes!

Fav Short Clips from the Joe Rogan Experience:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLk1Sqn_f33Ks_DAG2PK4ja_UdzWtKVkMQ

Full Podcasts #500 to latest:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLk1Sqn_f33KtVQWWnE_V6-sypm5zUMkU6

Learn some shít ya neva knew :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Just had an unbelievably stupid/malevolent punishment pass by An Aircoach on the N11 Northbound towards Stillorgan.

The driver actually slowed down to draw out the near shoulder width pass as I tried to keep steady while being driven over drain covers etc.

Either the driver is incredibly malicious and reckless or stunningly incompetent.

I caught up with him and memorised the reg time and location.

At the moment I'm more offended as someone who defends against allegations of negligence against coach drivers as a large part of my job.

Watch this space for the impact of someone wilfully endangering my life out of sheer impetuousity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Happens all the time on the N11. I've lost count of the number of incidents with the Aircoach and the 133. Saying that they're not all bad, but when they're bad they're awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

gadetra wrote: »
    Happens all the time on the N11. I've lost count of the number of incidents with the Aircoach and the 133. Saying that they're not all bad, but when they're bad they're awful!

I'm well used to Aircoaches zooming past too close when there's no obstacle to them overtaking in the empty lanes to their right.

This had a different flavour, the way he drew out the danger. It would be like seeing someone at a natural gas facility casually firing flares between the storage tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Nameless Phil registered in Mortagne at 12.45am (French time) with 1090k done and 140k remaining. Go NamelessPhil! :cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Nameless Phil registered in Mortagne at 12.45am (French time) with 1090k done and 140k remaining. Go NamelessPhil! :cool:

Incredible.
    Isn't _cdaly doing it too? How many hours has NamelessPhil been out now? Do you sleep much on a ride like that?

Incredible.
    Isn't _cdaly doing it too? How many hours has NamelessPhil been out now? Do you sleep much on a ride like that?
    cdaly checked in at Mortagne at 12.19am (French time) with 1090k done. Allez cdaly!

Incredible.
    Some people plod along and only sleep for 2 or 3 hours, others hammer along and manage to get in full nights. I know some of the fast Irish lads in the past have gotten by on far less, a few have done it on less than an hour sleep.
    cdaly checked in at Mortagne at 12.19am (French time) with 1090k done. Allez cdaly!
    Fair play to cdaly and the other boardsies out there.

Any word on any Irish DNFs or are we all across the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

horror road, speeds are too high so cyclists seen as been in way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

CramCycle wrote: »
    Some people plod along and only sleep for 2 or 3 hours, others hammer along and manage to get in full nights. I know some of the fast Irish lads in the past have gotten by on far less, a few have done it on less than an hour sleep.

Fair play to cdaly and the other boardsies out there.

Any word on any Irish DNFs or are we all across the line?

Ole Rodrigo , Nameless Phil, cdaly still out there.

4 lads in under 60 hrs. Thebouldwhacker 66 hrs or so.

One boards guy not showing controlling after Brest, but given tracker performance who knows.

The man from Swords seems to be battling away with cramping legs since before Brest!

manafana wrote: »
    horror road, speeds are too high so cyclists seen as been in way

It should never happen but its the ones who do it with an empty lane beside them that get me the worst. The ones who do it in busy traffic, they are not right but sometimes I can put it down to stupidity and not realising (previous experience with a bus driver trainer, telling me I had plenty of space while the driver apologised saying he did not realise it was so dangerous) although sometimes it is out of badness. I have had a 133 driver tell me it was to teach me that I should be in the cycle lane for my own safety, the level of irony was so immense I felt my mind implode as he continued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have had a 133 driver tell me it was to teach me that I should be in the cycle lane for my own safety, the level of irony was so immense I felt my mind implode as he continued.

I reckon the 133 is where bad drivers get sent out to pasture.

• Advertisement

ford2600 wrote: »

One boards guy not showing controlling after Brest, but given tracker performance who knows.

The man from Swords seems to be battling away with cramping legs since before Brest!

Friend did it in 70hrs or so. Text midway about a potentially terminal problem.

Rode 300km in middle of event with no rear shifting and also had a partial wheel failure(multiple loose spokes)!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

If any operator of a motorised vehicle is caught telling a cyclist that they performed any manoeuvre to "teach them a lesson", it should be automatic suspension of their licence. Who went to the headmaster's office and left you in charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Nameless Phil finished about 10 minutes ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Women's cycling in Afghanistan

Interesting video. Cycling in Afghanistan was taboo for women, but these women are gradually pushing out to make it acceptable. Amazing-looking country.

Allez OA, the whole club is rootin' for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Allez OA, the whole club is rootin' for you!

And others not in the club too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

what about those who may or may not be in the club, or have we covered that already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

Anyone interested in getting a halfords tool chest deal? I have a reservation for these:

http://www.halfords.ie/motoring-travel/tools-diy/tool-chests-tool-boxes/halfords-industrial-6-drawer-ball-bearing-tool-cabinet
    http://www.halfords.ie/motoring-travel/tools-diy/tool-chests-tool-boxes/halfords-industrial-3-drawer-middle-chest
    http://www.halfords.ie/motoring-travel/tools-diy/tool-chests-tool-boxes/halfords-industrial-6-drawer-ball-bearing-tool-chest

My reservation price is €377.99 for all 3, but I'm not going to be in a position to collect them. They need to be collected in the Galway store before close of business on Saturday.
    So if anyone wants to take them please drop me a PM.

I have agreement from Beasty to post this, as it's not really cycling related.

Women's cycling in Afghanistan

Interesting video. Cycling in Afghanistan was taboo for women, but these women are gradually pushing out to make it acceptable. Amazing-looking country.

Brother is just back from there, don't think he saw a lot of bicycles!

Kabul was pretty liberal pre the Taliban coming to power. Herat in the west was supposed to be a really interesting city, it was on pretty ancient east/west trade route. All destroyed now I would think.

Really brave women, I hope the tide keeps going their way and not the way of lunatics convinced that the 7th Century world of a man who heard voices from the sky was some kind of ideal world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    And others not in the club too!

Olivier just finished. Well done that man!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement