Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

detones wrote: »
    Would Marley park be a good/safe spot to park if going for a spin in Wicklow up to Sally Gap? Was planning on doing this early tomorrow. Coming from North co. Dublin.

Come out to Kentstown with us instead ;) Feckin Southsiders are renowned car thieves ....

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

RobFowl wrote: »
    Come out to Kentstown with us instead ;) Feckin Southsiders are renowned car thieves ....

would love to but I'm a fair bit off you guys pace at the moment. Just fancy a change of scenery and never did the gap before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

One of the lads in work whose father worked for The Herald was only talking about them the other day.. I think he was saying the first time he rode a bike was on one of the cycles to Newbridge (or Naas) and bad to Dublin lol.

I can ask him if he's any more memories of it, or even photos if you wish.

Would appreciate that. I have tried googling it and came up with nothing but I suppose there wasn't much digital info around then! I can remember one year cycling down the Embankment and also triangular metal badges you got at the end in Abbey Street outside the Herald offices.
    Kinda odd that they were so popular but then disappeared many decades before sportives appeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... and never did the gap before.
    WTF? :eek:

You could use the car park at Whitehall Church - it's only a few km's across Dublin to Stocking Lane and it will save you from driving across.

...or just man up and cycle from Balrothery! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Would appreciate that. I have tried googling it and came up with nothing but I suppose there wasn't much digital info around then! I can remember one year cycling down the Embankment and also triangular metal badges you got at the end in Abbey Street outside the Herald offices.
    Kinda odd that they were so popular but then disappeared many decades before sportives appeared.
    Mercian Pro - has this book any connection with what you're after?

http://source.southdublinlibraries.ie/bitstream/10599/11261/5/SDCC%20JB%20Malone%20eBook.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Would Marley park be a good/safe spot to park if going for a spin in Wicklow up to Sally Gap? Was planning on doing this early tomorrow. Coming from North co. Dublin.

Yeah, often used by walkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Attack on the car-free city centre plan in the Indo: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ideology-and-theory-threaten-to-stop-traffic-in-dublin-city-centre-31454212.html
    According to some major retailers in the city centre, the problems with the study and the consultation process are wide-ranging. "To put it quite simply, under the proposed plans we will not be able to accept deliveries; we will not be able to get goods into our store", (Arnott's CEO Ray) Hernan says… "And it's debatable whether customers will be able to get goods out of the store especially if they can't bring them to their cars."

What, no deliveries at all? Surely some mistake? And what are people buying in Arnott's that they can't carry? Any time I've been in there in recent years I've bought clothes or small electrical goods. If I bought a fridge or something, I'd expect Arnott's to deliver it from their out-of-town warehouse.

According to the article, the plan is still open for public sight and comment in libraries and on the city council website.

My own feeling is that the greatest danger to the city centre's commerce is the plan for a giant mall full of chain stores behind O'Connell Street, extending beyond Moore Street and up to the old Carlton; this will draw in shoppers who will not then visit the traditional city centre shops at all. The money will simply flow into these chainstores, and seamlessly out of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Mercian Pro - has this book any connection with what you're after?

Thanks WA. I do remember the JB Malone articles in the Hearld but they were nearly all walking rather than cycling routes. The one connection I think to what I was on about is a reference to an Evening Hearld 20 mile sponsored walk in 1963. This was probably a forerunner (!) of the sponsored cycles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

358777.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

If I bought a fridge or something, I'd expect Arnott's to deliver it from their out-of-town warehouse.
    exactly. you're hardly going to carry a washing machine from henry street to the irish life car park.
    fwiw, their warehouse is just off the old airport road and they sometimes have some good sales there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I wish Strava had a commuter mode that stripped away all of the athlete talk.

It's nice to know my mileage but it's faintly embarrassing to get a little trophy on my phone after a 4k pootle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

You can always use other services for commuting. Like endomondo.

Or make your commutes private on Strava?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I wish Strava had a commuter mode that stripped away all of the athlete talk.

It's nice to know my mileage but it's faintly embarrassing to get a little trophy on my phone after a 4k pootle.

Why is it embarrassing to get told that your cycle was faster than before or third fastest this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

it could do with a race mode however

Alek wrote: »
    You can always use other services for commuting. Like endomondo.

Or make your commutes private on Strava?

Commutes already private unless they're extended.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Why is it embarrassing to get told that your cycle was faster than before or third fastest this year?

on my commute the only effort involved is not exploding with rage at all the slowvertaking Squishberts.

I stopped recording them altogether until it dawned on me to mark them private.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

slowvertaking Squishberts

Hahah :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

WTF? Must have lost control and gone off the road or something.

Was wondering myself. Got tangled in brambles, according to the Journal piece.

http://newsfeed.eastcoast.fm/2015/08/cyclist-rescued-from-avoca-river-by.html

Hypothermia, poor man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

seamus wrote: »
    WTF? Must have lost control and gone off the road or something.

My first thought was that he was pushed.

http://app.folha.uol.com.br/#noticia/583860

Tpdr (too Portuguese don't read): Two city officials in Rio De Janeiro siting camera equipment along the route of the Olympic road cycling race got robbed at gunpoint.

Bodes well for Rio 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Canyon now seem to have added some 11-32s to their 2016 range.
    There's also a Di2 version of their Endurace bike, which is nice.
    Bar the Dura Ace version all come with a 50/34 & 11-32 kit.

There doesn't seem to be an option to choose any other cassette, which might be an error on their part commercially or possibly their web team fupped up, again. They have history of updating the site and making a mess of it.

There are a few WMN/Women frames available also.

They haven't put all their 2016 models up yet but quite a few!

More exciting reportage on the Avoca cyclist:

http://wicklowvoice.ie/arklow-rnli-called-cyclist-falls-avoca-river/
    A decision was made to take the necessary equipment required to give assistance and proceed to the scene by car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

http://app.folha.uol.com.br/#noticia/583860

Tpdr (too Portuguese don't read): Two city officials in Rio De Janeiro siting camera equipment along the route of the Olympic road cycling race got robbed at gunpoint.

Bodes well for Rio 2016

Rio De Janeiro's a messed up place. Friends of mine went there on a coffee sourcing trip a few years ago, rented a van to bring samples back so they could be shipped to the US. Stopped at red lights, carjacked at gunpoint.

Two years later, went back and they rented a smaller car to try blend in. They didn't even make it to the first coffee farm!

OldBean wrote: »
    Rio De Janeiro's a messed up place. Friends of mine went there on a coffee sourcing trip a few years ago, rented a van to bring samples back so they could be shipped to the US. Stopped at red lights, carjacked at gunpoint.

Two years later, went back and they rented a smaller car to try blend in. They didn't even make it to the first coffee farm!

Always worth remembering this alternative when someone talks about cutting welfare.

Welfare vampires are ****, but everyoneelse is still a net beneficiary of SWA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

+1

Yeah, I've spent time in the not-so-nice parts of the US. I don't think people realise the effects of not having state funded/aided education and healthcare. East St. Louis was worse than any developing country.

I always get a little bit amused, and more than a little bit annoyed when people want to move to the US, thinking it'll be just like what they've seen on TV/a movie/American media. Unless you have a lotta cash coming in, or you don't care about not having cash coming in, it's going to be a rough time.

We looked at moving earlier on in the year, herself (Who's from the US) was headhunted for a pretty amazing position coming up to the current elections. Even with doubling her salary, health insurance would have the two of us broke, but if we didn't have it and something happened, we'd be even more broke...

First time she went to a doctor here, she had €500 cash ready to hand over, couldn't believe it was only €55!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was watching a michael mosley program about health screening, and they mentioned that half of all visits to the doctor (i.e. gp visits) in the states are health checks - i.e. proactive, just coming in for a service, style visits. the program as a whole was quite down on such behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Was lucky enough to work in California some time back with everything fully funded by my company including a top of the range world wide healthcare policy taken out specifically for my placement. But the one time I needed to see a GP, jesus, you would think I made up the policy, nobody wanted to know me. Even the guys on the insurance company's assistance call centre were useless. I didn't bother in the end.

• Advertisement

Poor America, they had a pretty good society in the late 1950s (apart from the anti-communist craziness and racism), and they let it all go. Decent jobs with decent pay; nice, affordable homes; people earning enough money to buy the goods that people made and keep them in jobs so they could pay for goods that others made and keep them in jobs…

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement