Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Hi guys

Apologies for the stupid question :o

Will be taking my first foray into the city centre for my work commute on the bike to stephens green shopping centre and am a little puzzled by stephens green and which sides are one-way etc. I checked google maps but am not sure with the Luas changes etc. I will be coming up the N11 from Donnybrook, up Lesson Street and then go straight on along the side of SG (SG south I think?). Then can I turn right at the bottom of harcourt street and go along SG West as far as the bike racks at the Luas just before the shopping centre?

I am totally at a loss as to how to do the return journey as I don't think I can go up SG North (i.e. along the top of Dawson Street and Kildare Street) and then SG East (along by Loreto) to turn up Leeson Street?

Thanks guys! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Short answer: No.

There's no right turn from SG south onto SG west. Easy enough there however to dismount, walk the bike across the road/Luas tracks and then continue on SG west.

The layout of North & West has changed somewhat since the last time I cycled there, so I can't give a proper recommendation. But I would say the easiest things is to just walk the bike back to SG south and cycle eastwards. Dismount when you hit the next junction, walk across onto Leeson Street and then continue on down the bus lane.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

On the way in, take a right at the end of Leeson st and then left straight over to stephens green.

On the way back either turn down Dawson st, turn right onto Molesworth st, right on kildare st, and left onto the green, you can either follow the bus lane back around the way you came in or you can go straight along Baggot st and take any of the right hand turns to get you back onto leeson st/N11.

You could also just walk over to the top of kildare st.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Which tyre is better, the Vittoria Zaffiro Pro or the Rubino (not pro)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Thanks Seamus and cram - *really* helpful :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

CramCycle wrote: »
    On the way in, take a right at the end of Leeson st and then left straight over to stephens green.

Eh? If you take a right at the end of Leeson Street you're on Stephen's Green already, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I think he means main entrance, shopping centre, Luas stop Stephans Green.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Eh? If you take a right at the end of Leeson Street you're on Stephen's Green already, no?

As OldBean said, I meant the shopping centre, right onto stephens green, left to stay on it and your at the shopping centre entrance but it's occurred to me that I haven't been there in a few weeks so maybe there are road works.

Either way, you can cycle nearly the whole way round the park, you may just have to dismount and walk a small distance depending which way you go around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Which tyre is better, the Vittoria Zaffiro Pro or the Rubino (not pro)?

I prefer the Rubino but I think Zaffiro might be the level above.

Find Zaffiros overly soft and prone to picking up glass etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I prefer the Rubino but I think Zaffiro might be the level above.

Find Zaffiros overly soft and prone to picking up glass etc.

I thought it was the other way around?

Zaffiro was the lower end, then rubino, then corsa?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

I think you're right, but when the Zaffiro is the pro edition and the Rubino isn't, I'm not sure. Might be just preference, because they are roughly the same price. I used to have Zaffiro pros and was very happy with them. Not many punctures around here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Think It's this way round. Have Rubino pros on the track bike and Rubino pro tech (wet weather ones apparently) on the road bike. I approve. The pro tech's are marked more than the normal ones but they go on more surfaces than track bike (which does n11-canal-track 4 days a week. Still fine) Haven't used zaffiro's so can't compare. Will use Rubino's from now on though, I find them confidence giving and quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I think you're right, but when the Zaffiro is the pro edition and the Rubino isn't, I'm not sure. Might be just preference, because they are roughly the same price. I used to have Zaffiro pros and was very happy with them. Not many punctures around here.

If it helps, I've run Rubino Pros before, got two for 15 euro each I think and they were excellent for the price: good rolling resistance, grippy in the wet and I never had a puncture on them. I got decent mileage out of them too.

Can't comment on the Zaffiro pros. I think they just have a higher TPI count than the non-pro? Compare TPI between Zaffiro pro and Rubino (from Vittoria website):

Zaffiro Pro: 60 TPI
    Rubino: 60 TPI

I'd go with the Rubinos unless the price was substantially different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

If it helps, I've run Rubino Pros before, got two for 15 euro each I think and they were excellent for the price: good rolling resistance, grippy in the wet and I never had a puncture on them. I got decent mileage out of them too.

Rubino pros are £9.99 from Amazon. Cheapest source I can find for them. I was pleased enough with them that I recently put a second set on the bike.

Lots of cuts and nicks on the first set but thankfully no punctures!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,981 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...I kind of thought big trucks had been banned from the city.
    gadetra wrote: »
    They're allowed in within certain times...
    Is 2.15pm one of those times?...
    The ban relates to vehicles with 5 axles or more - it is not a truck or HGV ban as such.

The ban does not apply to any vehicles regardless of size which are required to deliver/pick up within the ban area and vehicles which have 5 axles or more but are unsuitable for the DPT obviously have an exemption.

Articulated trucks with 4 axles (rigid or articulated) are not subject to the ban at any time.

Brewery dray articulated trucks usually have 3 axles (2 on the tractor, 1 on the trailer) so would not come under the 5 axle ban anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Thanks, Wishbone. Truck was big and scary and fast and heavily loaded, and I haven't seen one like it in Rathmines in a long time. Sad to hear that it's legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

A discussion on the merits of the 80's versus the 70's on the Images of Beauty thread reminded me that the first time I heard the Stones' Paint it Black was on a Evening Hearld 50 mile cycle sometime in the 60's. (I know, the brain works in mysterious ways when you get to my age).
    Is anyone else hereabouts old enough to remember these cycles? They ran for three or four years and Carling were one of the other sponsors. There seemed to be quite a few hundred cyclists involved and the routes normally included a few good climbs in the Dublin mountains.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

A discussion on the merits of the 80's versus the 70's on the Images of Beauty thread reminded me that the first time I heard the Stones' Paint it Black was on a Evening Hearld 50 mile cycle sometime in the 60's. (I know, the brain works in mysterious ways when you get to my age).
    Is anyone else hereabouts old enough to remember these cycles? They ran for three or four years and Carling were one of the other sponsors. There seemed to be quite a few hundred cyclists involved and the routes normally included a few good climbs in the Dublin mountains.

Was only born in the 70's so no help :cool:

.... the first time I heard the Stones' Paint it Black ...
    That'll be going around in my head all night now! :eek:

hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm,

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

That's it alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Just met Irish Paralympian cyclist Katie Dunleavy this evening. Growing collection of medals there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

What Irish Cycling Club has team kit, that is very similar to The FDJ design?
    Please.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Please.
    Galway Bay CC?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

OMILs - Chris Boardman is a witty genius! Had never heard that one before, just got to know it from an article on Slashdot about Londons' cycling infrastructure plans and battles.

Galway Bay CC?

No, thats not it. I met a group of them during the week, in Duleek, Co. Meath.
    The jerseys seemed to be a direct copy of the FDJ design.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

No, thats not it. I met a group of them during the week, in Duleek, Co. Meath.
    The jerseys seemed to be a direct copy of the FDJ design.

St Francis St Des Jeus?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Please.

It's LesJeunes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

One of the lads in work whose father worked for The Herald was only talking about them the other day.. I think he was saying the first time he rode a bike was on one of the cycles to Newbridge (or Naas) and bad to Dublin lol.

I can ask him if he's any more memories of it, or even photos if you wish.

RobFowl wrote: »
    It's LesJeunes

That's the one, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Would Marley park be a good/safe spot to park if going for a spin in Wicklow up to Sally Gap? Was planning on doing this early tomorrow. Coming from North co. Dublin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement