Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Mullen signed for one more yr at An Post good move for the long term

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

ROK ON wrote: »
    I watched Vikings last night and thought that the Blood Eagle sacrifice was gruesome. The snooker scene in LoveHate beats that.
    :eek:

Are you a week behind? The eagle scene was last week man! Yesterday was all about ...(I won't spoil it!)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    I see they did a ninja edit - the "Robbie Fowler is missing" bit was amended .... :pac:

Nope he was there ;)

"One guy over-weight but makes dancing performance even more impressive"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

There are still commuters wearing shorts.

Fair Play to them.

And by fair play, I mean that we could possibly track them down, get their DNA and not let them breed, as they are obviously lunatics.

Win/Win for society, in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There are still commuters wearing shorts.

Fair Play to them.
    To be fair, I'm a hairy, hairy man. I don't need my legs covered until we're touching zero degrees in the morning.

That's not to say my legs are warm, they just don't feel cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Anybody have an experience with these soft bike bags for a n aluminium bike:

Evoc Bike Bag
    Bike2_2988749a.jpg

OR:

B&W Bike Bag
    csd110.jpg

Or should I choose a hard case?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I've used a soft bag for an alu. It was fine. Also used it with CF.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭caadmium

I've used the B&W bag and overall found it very good. It has a metal frame inside to locate and hold the bike and the moulded hard shell base makes the bag very solid and also gives you a secure location for your accessories. The material is very thick padded nylon and even though it's a "soft bag" it has quite a bit of structure to it. The way these get mistreated and abused in airports is scary though so some extra precautions are needed. In my case the bag must have been dragged on its side because when I collected it at baggage claim, one wheel axle had worn through and the axle end itself had been abraded even though there is extra tough padding and additional material in those locations in the integrated wheel pouches inside the bag. Next time I used plastic end caps on the wheel axles and used the top and sides of a cardboard bike box to line the bag and prevent points or bumps from pushing against out against the sides of the bag and everything was ok. In summary as bike bags go, I don't think you'll find much better but there's just no accounting for how poorly it will get handled at the airport.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Rather than try and resurrect one of those long-forgotten commuter racing threads I'll post this morning's experience here.

Was heading along Feltrim Road from Swords when in the distance I saw the tell tale rear red light of a bike. I thought great - a target. I was coming up to a hill and thought I would make inroads as it was a place I usually put in a strong effort. Got to the top and no sign of the bike, so carried on until I again caught a glimpse in the distance. The bike had to stop at lights and I managed to creep up behind it to see it was quite a contraption. Looked very heavy and had a U lock attached to the back. Thought this should be a piece of cake when the lights turn. They duly did and this bike shot off leaving me for dead. So I put the foot down and caught her up only to then think - "that must be an electric bike". I thought I'd try and draft for a while then take it on the next downhill bit, which I managed with ease as the engine clearly had a speed limiter. Then there was a bit of a drag, and I thought "sh!t - with that power she's going to be overtaking me". So it was an all-out effort to stay clear for the rest of the commute - got to within 6 of my max recorded HR, but the outcome was satisfactory - I won! (not that she had any idea she was in a race mind)

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Get In There

On my commute home from work, I stopped at the traffic lights just before the petrol station opposite glasnevin cemetery. I noticed my sj4000 camera which was mounted to my handlebar required a small adjustment which I did so before the lights went green and from there I sailed towards the successive three green traffic lights towards clearwater finglas before I came to a stop at a red light. I look down and notice my camera is absent from the handlebar. (I was oblivious to the sound of it falling off as i'm deaf)

So I cycled back to glasnevin scanning the ground along the way for the camera but to no avail.

I know this is an extremely long shot (i've no idea where else to post) but if anyone here that was cycling that stretch this evening found the camera in question, please send me a pm.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    To be fair, I'm a hairy, hairy man. I don't need my legs covered until we're touching zero degrees in the morning.

That's not to say my legs are warm, they just don't feel cold.

On reflection (this morning) maybe we should harness their DNA :D

Anyways...

Has anyone received a bike from Canyon recently? And if so, did it come in a "Dark" bike guard box or was it more of a bike guard "cardboard" cardboard box With Canyon on one side and Red writing on the other?

Long shot but I thought this was a good place to ask!

Dark

Cardboard

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

On reflection (this morning) maybe we should harness their DNA :D

Anyways...

Has anyone received a bike from Canyon recently? And if so, did it come in a "Dark" bike guard box or was it more of a bike guard "cardboard" cardboard box With Canyon on one side and Red writing on the other?

Dark

Cardboard

I got one last December and it came in the dark bikeguard box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Looks heavy, and not very aero :p

There should be an international rating system for engineers. On a scale of Australia to the Netherlands, how cycle-friendly are your plans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

The daily telegraph don't seem too taken with cyclists.

Looks heavy, and not very aero :p

There should be an international rating system for engineers. On a scale of Australia to the Netherlands, how cycle-friendly are your plans?

nevermind the somewhat anti cycling description for two of the three pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Sydney, not surprised really. Given the success of Australian cyclists, the attitude in that country to cyclists is bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Dark

Cardboard

Got the cardboard one a couple of weeks back. Not sure there's a lot of difference between the two, but I still have a ~2 year old dark one in the attic I could compare it to...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Sydney, not surprised really. Given the success of Australian cyclists, the attitude in that country to cyclists is bizarre.

Spain had great success in sport cycling, Australia has had success, the UK is very successful right now, Ireland had two very successful cyclists in the eighties.

It doesn't seem to feed into everyday cycling at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Quick one, is the EuroCycles / Eurobaby on South William Street under a different name now or has it closed down?

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

in Oz seems to be city to city some worse than others, sydney is not a place for bikes im told. But the helmet law rules out casual bike use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

This seems like a good initiative: The Travel With Care campaign
    The Travel With Care campaign is aimed at humanizing people on bikes and encouraging better behavior among drivers and bike riders. We want to inspire the general public to see every bike rider as a neighbor, friend or family member—just a normal person who chooses to bike. In addition to humanizing bicyclists, the campaign’s message is built around bettering behavior by both people in cars and on bikes by asking them to travel with care and to “melt icy relations on the road.”

I like this picture, don't mess with him, he's armed - not the impression the picture is trying to convey, perhaps :) :

TravelWithCare_Biju_Web450.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Time to crash CI's site! https://cyclingireland.azolve.com/portal/Login.aspx

Who's going to get #1 in each cat?!

jinkypolly wrote: »
    I got one last December and it came in the dark bikeguard box.
    lgk wrote: »
    Got the cardboard one a couple of weeks back. Not sure there's a lot of difference between the two, but I still have a ~2 year old dark one in the attic I could compare it to...

Thanks for the replies and the kind offer to compare them. It's grand, I managed to compare them today when leaving the cardboard one into storage.

The dark one seemed much better than the cardboard one. It's also fatter and not as tall versus the cardboard one being taller and skinnier.

I was asking as I was wondering if mine came in the cardboard version as it is an "outlet" bike and ex demo or was it Canyon's new "Bike Guard" box.

Not sure if it is a "new" box they are using or if "new" bikes still come in the dark one. The "outlet" bike had the rear wheel attached, whereas a "new" one doesn't, if I recall correctly.

Wasn't over the moon to see that the rear DR had hit off the side of the box and made a dent but it seems OK. Won't know till I finish assembling the damn thing.

Anyways, I'm delirah with the new bike :D

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

ED E wrote: »
    Quick one, is the EuroCycles / Eurobaby on South William Street under a different name now or has it closed down?

It's a different shop, and a better one, in my humble opinion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

buffalo wrote: »
    Time to crash CI's site! https://cyclingireland.azolve.com/portal/Login.aspx

Who's going to get #1 in each cat?!

Jeez I thought renewal isn't until January? Feic it it's not like mine will be getting exercised until then anyway!

Looking at it there's a 50% student discount on a full license which makes it the same price bar €2.50 as a track/LC one. This would mean road racing is an option. Hmmmmmn…..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

gadetra wrote: »
    Jeez I thought renewal isn't until January? Feic it it's not like mine will be getting exercised until then anyway!

Looking at it there's a 50% student discount on a full license which makes it the same price bar €2.50 as a track/LC one. This would mean road racing is an option. Hmmmmmn…..

Bloody Stoodents....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Being someone that aspires to own a BMC in the future..

HBp10bS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Zyzz wrote: »
    Being someone that aspires to own a BMC in the future..

HBp10b_S.jpg

I've always thought that my seat tube was missing a quick release skewer.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

So now the Boards cycling forum has shown it's powers when it came up with the "anti-McQuaid brigade", who's up for the "Let's splatter Blatter" campaign?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement