Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

328135.jpg

From this thread in the tri forum, might be worth changing the tape after a winters turboing!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Looks heavy, and not very aero :p

There should be an international rating system for engineers. On a scale of Australia to the Netherlands, how cycle-friendly are your plans?
    it's rare that you're presented with something so sublimely moronic that it borders on art. Of course, you wouldn't expect much from an Australian designer--indeed the very term "Australian designer" holds about as much promise as "kosher wine" or "triathlete bike-handling skills." Still, there's an odd elegance to the underlying concept here, which is basically this:
    Let's turn people's heads into cars.
    http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.ie/2014/11/smart-hat-dumb-idea.html

He hopes it's a hoax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I heard someone from daft.ie being interviewed on RTE Radio One this morning, he was talking about how much the selling price of a house is influenced by its proximity to a school. He referred to "walking distance" and "200m" in the same sentence. I thought I must have misheard him but he went on to say something to the effect that 500m is beyond walking distance. Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

doozerie wrote: »
    I heard someone from daft.ie being interviewed on RTE Radio One this morning, he was talking about how much the selling price of a house is influenced by its proximity to a school. He referred to "walking distance" and "200m" in the same sentence. I thought I must have misheard him but he went on to say something to the effect that 500m is beyond walking distance. Jaysus.

Everywhere is walking distance, if you have the time.

stevenwright.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

We walked 2km each way to school in the pissing f'kin rain this morning.

I'd rather they did something on the avg increase of 25% in rental prices than moan about buying prices. I've two friends who are basically homeless now because of rent increases and dodgy landlords refusing Rent Allowance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

I'd rather they did something on the avg increase of 25% in rental prices than moan about buying prices. I've two friends who are basically homeless now because of rent increases and dodgy landlords refusing Rent Allowance.

always found rent allowance thing funny , surely a good tenant far more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Winter jersey and long bib arrived today from Aliexpress. I'm fkn astounded at the quality. It's going to be hard to justify spending multiples of the price buying locally, or anywhere in Europe for that matter.

Of course I may be back giving out about them in a fortnight but by the looks of them now I'd be very surprised. Roll on Sunday morning. I'll be cycling slow, posing. :D

manafana wrote: »
    always found rent allowance thing funny , surely a good tenant far more important.

For most landlords I have had the misfortune of coming across, an easy buck is priority. Accepting rent Allowance means registering so liable for tax. I've come across two types in Dublin:

1. The aul lad/wan from the country who made a few bucks and had someone in their ear about the killing they'd make in Dublin renting to students. No business knowledge, no people skills, every penny counts. They'll charge the same or more than the house down the road cos they believe that's the going rate, but the house down road is insulated or has bigger rooms or just better condition. Then someone sees their ad and recognises that their rental is better so they go higher and so on and so on. Same BS you see book sellers try on with Amazon. Prices are pulled from thin air.

2. People who made a bit of money in the boom, watched too many property shows, figured they'd make a buck when going was good. Sure it's money for nothing. They've been brought to the brink and have been desperate for some kind of rent increase so they an afford the mortgages on their multiple properties so they'll screw as much out of it as they can.

A bit ranty but I view most landlords in the same little Venn diagram as I do most taxi drivers... ignorant chancers.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Winter jersey and long bib arrived today from Aliexpress. I'm fkn astounded at the quality. It's going to be hard to justify spending multiples of the price buying locally, or anywhere in Europe for that matter.

Of course I may be back giving out about them in a fortnight but by the looks of them now I'd be very surprised. Roll on Sunday morning. I'll be cycling slow, posing. :D

How long did delivery take?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

How long did delivery take?

4 weeks to the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I accept that there are dodgy landlords per se, however many landlords may refuse rent allowance because it is too low. Landlords are investors - the idea being you attempt to maximise a sustainable rerun on capital.
    Forgetting some of these lessons is what has led to the current state of the property market.
    The reality is that dusting the boom the provision of social housing lagged what it should have merely to keep up with it's already under provided nature. That is the responsibility of the state, IMHO, not landlords.

Also rental prices are going up because of supply v demand - but they have fallen significantly in the past also. In many parts of the country rents are still below 2007 levels - this is still the case in some parts of Dublin. Guess what the rental market works - the price responds to supply and demand imbalances.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

doozerie wrote: »
    I thought I must have misheard him but he went on to say something to the effect that 500m is beyond walking distance. Jaysus.

When I moved to a house that was twenty minutes' walk to my father's house, he opined that such a walk would only be practical in the summer. I suppose at least he regarded it as walkable at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

tomasrojo wrote: »
    When I moved to a house that was twenty minutes' walk to my father's house, he opined that such a walk would only be practical in the summer. I suppose at least he regarded it as walkable at all.

My local train station is exactly 700m from my house. About a 10 minute walk at a reasonable pace. The number of my neighbours that drive there and pay to park for the day is astonishing.

ROK ON wrote: »
    I accept that there are dodgy landlords per se, however many landlords may refuse rent allowance because it is too low. Landlords are investors - the idea being you attempt to maximise a sustainable rerun on capital.
    Forgetting some of these lessons is what has led to the current state of the property market.
    The reality is that dusting the boom the provision of social housing lagged what it should have merely to keep up with it's already under provided nature. That is the responsibility of the state, IMHO, not landlords.

Also rental prices are going up because of supply v demand - but they have fallen significantly in the past also. In many parts of the country rents are still below 2007 levels - this is still the case in some parts of Dublin. Guess what the rental market works - the price responds to supply and demand imbalances.

I don't need a patronising "explanation" as to why rents have increased, I know why they have, though it's my own fault for referring to an ambiguous "they", I meant the current government.

I'd challenge you on a few more oversimplifications there but my brain is too small.

(Did you actually use "per se" unironically?)

I don't need a patronising "explanation" as to why rents have increased, I know why they have, though it's my own fault for referring to an ambiguous "they", I meant the current government.

I'd challenge you on a few more oversimplifications there but my brain is too small.

(Did you actually use "per se" unironically?)
    anyway dont renters make up the difference between the allowance and actual rent? obviously there is a ceiling as to what they can rent and get from the allowance

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    My local train station is exactly 700m from my house. About a 10 minute walk at a reasonable pace. The number of my neighbours that drive there and pay to park for the day is astonishing.

insane really isnt it, im probably 1km away from Luas, 10mins or less and a great walk before heading into work does me world of good

manafana wrote: »
    anyway dont renters make up the difference between the allowance and actual rent? obviously there is a ceiling as to what they can rent and get from the allowance

Colleague's landlord increased the rent by €150 when they applied for Rent Allowance.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Ordered a new light from CRC at 2pm yesterday, arrived at 9 this morning..must have got priority delivery by mistake :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

colm18 wrote: »
    Ordered a new light from CRC at 2pm yesterday, arrived at 9 this morning..must have got priority delivery by mistake :-P
    They are on the ball at the moment. They sent my order postage paid with a tracked delivery reference by AnPost next day with email confirmation. Very fast service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

10425104_801524663244885_8385332357590172333_n.jpg?oh=f55e73a13c085eeab9ee1a28c0f5c07f&oe=54EAEFED

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Yep ordered tyre levers and arrived one working day later.
    Planet X on the other hand....Ordered a load of kit a while back and they made a balls of printing the Parcel Motel address. Fair play to Parcel Motel people for their help. Ordered some stuff last Friday using my home address and still waiting. Good job their kit is decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Ordered a load of kit a while back and they made a balls of printing the Parcel Motel address.

Standard.

Every single time I've ordered something there were issues with delivery - either the above, or stuff has never left the warehouse (even though marked as shipped) or took super long time to arrive (not their fault, I know). Either way every time I order something I need to call their support - on the other hand fair play to the guys on the phone, always very helpful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    i'm always amused at the number of people who get on the luas in stephen's green and get off it at harcourt street; weather does not seem to be an important factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Ordered my altura jacket today. Early Christmas present to myself after getting ****ing drowned yesterday on my spin. I know it won't protect me from that level of rain but it might help some.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Not sure if it is a "new" box they are using or if "new" bikes still come in the dark one. The "outlet" bike had the rear wheel attached, whereas a "new" one doesn't, if I recall correctly.

Mine was a new (non-outlet) bike, and the brown box was billed as a 'Bike Guard'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Over the next few days/weeks I am going to have to say goodbye to my Canyon Ultimate AL 9.0 Di2

I'm quite upset :( as I love that bleedin' bike.

It's known to me as the "Beast of Ballycullen" or "Shergar's Ghost" (There could be a crossover of Black Beauty here as I have no idea what Shergar looked like)

Rather than sell it, I think I'll give it to my younger brother, who managed to buy himself a rather nice bike earlier this year but didn't know, until I told him, that is was a full on racing bike with Campy Veloce 53/39 &11/25

Considering he lives in a part of the country that is like riding a roller coaster, I think he will appreciate it more than anyone I could sell it too.

#le sigh

It's lucky I like beans on toast.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Helmet posts moved to helmet thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Over the next few days/weeks I am going to have to say goodbye to my Canyon Ultimate AL 9.0 Di2

I'm quite upset :( as I love that bleedin' bike.

It's known to me as the "Beast of Ballycullen" or "Shergar's Ghost" (There could be a crossover of Black Beauty here as I have no idea what Shergar looked like)

Rather than sell it, I think I'll give it to my younger brother, who managed to buy himself a rather nice bike earlier this year but didn't know, until I told him, that is was a full on racing bike with Campy Veloce 53/39 &11/25

Considering he lives in a part of the country that is like riding a roller coaster, I think he will appreciate it more than anyone I could sell it too.

#le sigh

It's lucky I like beans on toast.

Why??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Zyzz wrote: »
    Why??
    I was just about to ask the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

1780708_814313671952143_4718810602992168974_n.jpg?oh=622741f3271b255afeae9fb5c4493422&oe=54EA880A&__gda__=1423257745_d765d808c0af43f6cc8da16aebee1e91

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement