Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

http://www.thejournal.ie/ebola-nurse-goes-for-bike-ride-1753682-Oct2014/

Bloody cyclists, clogging up our roads, without paying any bloody tax, and breaking quarantine while they do it......it's a bleedin disgrace.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Happy Hallowe'en Boardsies :)

B1SLg83IcAEOUN8.jpg

B1R2Ya9IAAEFvpx.jpg:large

B1RWRr1CUAA1e01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Pumpkin done! Happy Halloween everyone :)

wJ2vHOO.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Rain's a comin'....gonna get soaked on the way home in Dublin in the next hour or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

First the Orbital Sciences Anteres rocket blows up and now Virgins Space Ship 2 has crashed killing one of the pilots and seriously injuring the other one. What a bad week for space travel :(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

I've a cheap fixie for knocking around locally and to do a 4.6k round trip to the Dart station. Last time I used it was two Fridays ago. Living in an apartment, with a wife that doesn't have much time for two other bikes stored in the bath let alone a third hanging around, I decided for better or worse that the fixie would live in the communal bin sheds. Keypad access and a load of other bikes kept down there also. There's nothing to lock it to, so the best I can do is just lock wheel to frame. Unfortunately it was broken into a few weeks ago and 5 or 6 bikes taken. Not mine though! I put this down to the fact that they were either disturbed before taking mine or that one of the scrotes was more knowledgeable than others and realised that he wasn't going to get through my Kryptonite lock without anything less than an angle grinder. So two Fridays ago was the last time I used it to go to the Dart. Popped down Thursday gone to throw a bag in the bin aaaand ... no sign of the bike. Could have been taken anytime in the 6 days since I used it.

Was away for the weekend and thought a little about it. It's a heavy bike. The wheel was locked to the frame so it can't be rolled or cycled anywhere. And scrotes are lazy. Little bit of waste ground next to the apartment so took a stroll this evening when I got home. Went the "wrong" way around so didn't find it until the end, but about 200m away from the bin shed ...

IMG_2577_zpseef50cb0.jpg

Muppets. They spent a bit of time on the Kryptonite trying to get it off. Absolutely loads of hacksaw marks on it, but all superficial. Moral of the story, a good lock, worth it's weight in gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Interesting idea, to use bioluminescent technology for the likes of street lighting.

And here is a specific instance of the technology being applied to make road markings that glow. Apparently that’s in place on a road in the Netherlands for testing, and may be used in other countries if it proves successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

doozerie wrote: »

We are edging closer to a hi-viz utopia. This is great news for humans, safety councils and tree dwelling animals.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Bought one of these last night:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/moon-x-power-330-rechargeable-front-light/

To go along with my lyzyne Micro on the front. Hoping it's good, my commute through the city centre isn't the most fun in the dark evenings, here's hoping some extra light will help.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057317493

Not sure if this was already posted here, but there's a discussion over on Forum Requests about a MTB sub-forum if that interests you either way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

got on the road bike . got to the bottom the hill from home get a thunk thunk thunk when I hit the brakes. big long crack in the rim. only had those ksyrium sl for 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

Bought one of these last night:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/moon-x-power-330-rechargeable-front-light/

To go along with my lyzyne Micro on the front. Hoping it's good, my commute through the city centre isn't the most fun in the dark evenings, here's hoping some extra light will help.

I have the Moon 300, and it's perfect for late night country training. The lower modes are good for city commuting, but it'd be dazzling on full power or flashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

got on the road bike . got to the bottom the hill from home get a thunk thunk thunk when I hit the brakes. big long crack in the rim. only had those ksyrium sl for 4 years.

4 Donegal road years. They're like dog years.

buffalo wrote: »
    I have the Moon 300, and it's perfect for late night country training. The lower modes are good for city commuting, but it'd be dazzling on full power or flashing.

Will keep that in mind! My commute has a mixture of lit and unlit roads, and the Micro doesn't really cut it on the unlit side of things. Looking forward to getting my hands on it now, to see what it's like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Just to stir the pot... If any acquaintances start a little rant at you about how tarnished cycling is by doping and how it's inherent to that particular sport, you can start pointing at runners over the years who doped, we're now up to 36 Kenyans caught doping in the last two years and not a word from media outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Another sweaty but unsatisfactory effort on the turbo tonight, still too worried about toppling the bike to really commit.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Just to stir the pot... If any acquaintances start a little rant at you about how tarnished cycling is by doping and how it's inherent to that particular sport, you can start pointing at runners over the years who doped, we're now up to 36 Kenyans caught doping in the last two years and not a word from media outlets.

Listening to 2nd captains last week they had the Kenyan winner of the Dublin Marathon asked him why Kenya was so successful and there was not one mention of EPO. If that was one of the Irish cycling pros, there would be a load if questions on doping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

To be fair to the Second Captains, they have been quite vocal on doping in other sports before, namely soccer and tennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

ThisRegard wrote: »
    To be fair to the Second Captains, they have been quite vocal on doping in other sports before, namely soccer and tennis.

they have an agenda in this case, someone has come on as a guest that's high profile so they avoid the topic. Only cyclists or sometimes runners get the doping line. Say James Mcgee was on they would not ask him about doping I feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

drogdub wrote: »
    Listening to 2nd captains last week they had the Kenyan winner of the Dublin Marathon asked him why Kenya was so successful and there was not one mention of EPO. If that was one of the Irish cycling pros, there would be a load if questions on doping.

18 Kenyan runners failed EPO tests in 2012/2013 and prior to 2012 there was no EPO blood tests done in Kenya

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

dropped them a tweet, they replied they have covered the Kenyan doping in previous tweet but didn't feel it fitted with the guest so wasn't mentioned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

manafana wrote: »
    dropped them a tweet, they replied they have covered the Kenyan doping in previous tweet but didn't feel it fitted with the guest so wasn't mentioned

Let's see if cyclists afforded same politeness next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

manafana wrote: »

In fairness they are right, they just wanted a puff piece. Ger Gilroy would have asked him

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭seany15

drogdub wrote: »
    In fairness they are right, they just wanted a puff piece. Ger Gilroy would have asked him

Agreed. I was worried when the "Second Captains" were taken from Off the Ball, I used to love them. That said, I now much prefer the current set up. I find they ask the tougher questions and really encourage discourse between guests and each other. I've also never really managed to get into the Second Captains format.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CyrilFiggis

Two flat tires between my two bikes in less than 24 hours!
    I'm getting really paranoid that it's some sort of tire-puncturing conspiracy as three other people with flats came into my LBS in the five minutes I was there last night. </rant>

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hi all,

Does a Campy chain require a specific chain tool or will a standard one suffice?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Hi all,

Does a Campy chain require a specific chain tool or will a standard one suffice?

Thanks.

I think the 11 spd chains need a different tool but everything else is the same. Perhaps someone else can confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bp_me wrote: »
    I think the 11 spd chains need a different tool but everything else is the same. Perhaps someone else can confirm.
    Grand thanks - it's a 10 speed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Hi all,

Thanks.

As bp said 11speed I believe is not really breakable and if you do use a KMC 11speed connector.
    Normal one for 10sp but would use a KMC connector as well

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement