Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

drogdub wrote: »
    Listening to 2nd captains last week they had the Kenyan winner of the Dublin Marathon asked him why Kenya was so successful and there was not one mention of EPO. If that was one of the Irish cycling pros, there would be a load if questions on doping.

Not to cast aspirations on the chap who won the marathon a few weeks back but I was at the 20mile mark as support for my wife who did it and the guy who won it was ,as a rough guess, 2 mins behind the leader at that point.
    That is some gap to make up at the end of a marathon.
    Must be very naturally gifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bcmf wrote: »
    As bp said 11speed I believe is not really breakable and if you do use a KMC 11speed connector.
    Normal one for 10sp but would use a KMC connector as well
    Thanks - Yes, I want to break the 10 speed to put in a KMC quick link.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Not to cast aspirations on the chap who won the marathon a few weeks back but I was at the 20mile mark as support for my wife who did it and the guy who won it was ,as a rough guess, 2 mins behind the leader at that point.

It's not that uncommon to lose 2 minutes over a couple of miles in the marathon - because the person in front is falling apart not because the person behind is going that fast. I didn't see the mile splits for the two involved but I'd guess that's the reason.

Kara Goucher lost about 1:45 in a single mile at New York last weekend. She ran a mile in about 7:15 somewhere around mile 23. That's woeful. I can run that! Admittedly, not after 23 five and a half minute miles :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

derek mooney seems to have a particular love for reading out textx from listeners angry with cyclists.
    yesterday he read out a missive from someone positing that there are many more cyclists with helmet cameras who deliberately cycle too far out into the lane so they can catch the near-miss passes by cars on camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

derek mooney seems to have a particular love for reading out textx from listeners angry with cyclists.
    yesterday he read out a missive from someone positing that there are many more cyclists with helmet cameras who deliberately cycle too far out into the lane so they can catch the near-miss passes by cars on camera.

Email back and tell a few stories about crazy drivers. All he wants is controversy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's not really, 2 minutes over 6 miles is easily done, particularly if you planned to kick towards the end anyway and the other guy is suffering.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Legendary cycling fan Didi the Devil is hanging up his pitchfork, retiring at age 62.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Legendary cycling fan Didi the Devil is hanging up his pitchfork, retiring at age 62.

Are you going to take up his pitchfork?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭furiousox

Any other boardsies of a certain age going to Billy Idol tonight?

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Rubicon Conundrum

On my commute yesterday, a van pulls straight out on to cycle lane from a petrol station without even looking to his right. I jammed on and swerved along side his wing. I got a real fright and shouted something along the lines of "F**k sake, watch where you are going" but then realised my error - you know when you scan a whole situation in one micro-second?

I saw 02 crappy condition white van 'travelling', girl with big bushy hair feeding a baby on front seat, with no seat belt on, and a guy opening the driver door in a fit of rage at me. luckily, I sped off as quickly as I could before I got myself involved in a 'bare knuckle' fight.

You live, you learn.

C'mere lads, the battery on my Cateye bungee light has gone, and I went to buy these -

"Panasonic CR-2032 Lithium Coin Battery - Twelve Pack" - £2.90

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-CR-2032-Lithium-Coin-Battery/dp/B0027XNA6Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415357598&sr=8-1&keywords=Panasonic+CR-2032+Lithium+Coin+Battery+-+Twelve+Pack

in Amazon, complete with 'FREE SUPER-SAVER DELIVERY'.

But when I went to order it turned out that 'FREE!' meant €10.90 for postage.

Is there anywhere I can get these in Ireland for a decent price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

C'mere lads, the battery on my Cateye bungee light has gone, and I went to buy these -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-CR-2032-Lithium-Coin-Battery/dp/B0027XNA6Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415357598&sr=8-1&keywords=Panasonic+CR-2032+Lithium+Coin+Battery+-+Twelve+Pack

Dealz have packs of 2032s.

You can also buy rechargeable 2032s and a charger if you prefer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Pretty sure I've bought 2032s in tesco also.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Boots certainly have them but not at that sort of price. However if you can top up your Amazon order - maybe get some other batteries you're going to need, AAs, AAAs for example. Once your order is over 10 quid (sterling equivalent) for the Free Super saver stuff that should qualify for free delivery

In that particular case though the Free Super Saver delivery option was only available from one supplier, but the price listed for that supplier is £8.99

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Dealz have packs of 2032s.

They come in packs of 8, in different thickness - as far as I remember 4 of them are 2032.

1.49e a pack is the best value you can get outside of internets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Ryath

Argos are the best price I've found for a bricks and mortar.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9805732/Trail/searchtext%3E2032.htm

I wouldn't bother with the dealz ones I found the run time on them to be very poor.

You need to look for free super saver delivery and need to spend £10 to qualify as Beasty said. Any ones I can see that do aren't much better priced than argos
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_p_76_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acr+2032%2Cp_76%3A419159031&keywords=cr+2032&ie=UTF8&qid=1415366747&rnid=419157031

Got a pack of 6 in aldi for €3 or so. They are only in now and again. They seem ok only have used one in my heart rate monitor but that's very easy on batteries though. The first one lasted over 3 years.

Ryath wrote: »
    Argos are the best price I've found for a bricks and mortar.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9805732/Trail/searchtext%3E2032.htm

Thanks, Ryath, I'll nip down to Argos.
    You need to look for free super saver delivery and need to spend £10 to qualify as Beasty said.

I did and I did. And then they charged me €9.90. Got onto Amazon's chat help, who cancelled the order, and said it must be because I was in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

quozl wrote: »
    It's not that uncommon to lose 2 minutes over a couple of miles in the marathon - because the person in front is falling apart not because the person behind is going that fast. I didn't see the mile splits for the two involved but I'd guess that's the reason.

Safronov, the leader for most of the race, ran the first half in 1:06 and the second half in 1:09
    Too, the eventual winner, ran 1:08/1:06.
    Safronov ran out on his own, there were a bunch of people in a pack working together through halfway. Kimutai also ran 1:06 for the second half, Bekele and Kassa fell apart and ran 1:13

(Then there was another group with the leading Irish runners went through the first half in 1:10. Some of them cracked, some of them didn't)

There's a very interesting discussion on Athletics/Running at the moment with Eliud Too's manager/trainers discussing his background and training in detail
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057317219
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057321587

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I did and I did. And then they charged me €9.90. Got onto Amazon's chat help, who cancelled the order, and said it must be because I was in Dublin.
    The same 10 quid threshold applies in Ireland as the UK. The £2.90 option was not Super Free Delivery though - only the £8.99 (which was the only option "fulfilled by Amazon") was. You had to click on the "15 new from £1.99" link to get the full list of suppliers and their prices

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I watched Vikings last night and thought that the Blood Eagle sacrifice was gruesome. The snooker scene in LoveHate beats that.
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Is that a pool queue in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? Oh, it is actually a pool queue!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the gym in work has exercise bikes with SPD pedals (as well as traditional toeclips); unfortunately, they've designed the pedal in such a way that they can't be used with my SPD shoes - the SPD platform does not sit far enough out to allow the clip to engage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

This is the most bizarre thread I've seen in years....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92941448#post92941448

RobFowl wrote: »
    This is the most bizarre thread I've seen in years....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92941448#post92941448
    I see they did a ninja edit - the "Robbie Fowler is missing" bit was amended .... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Beasty wrote: »
    I see they did a ninja edit - the "Robbie Fowler is missing" bit was amended .... :pac:

brillant

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

This ad made me smile:
    http://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/specialized-venge/6795514

If I had the moolah I would give Vengie a really good home! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

gadetra wrote: »
    This ad made me smile:
    http://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/specialized-venge/6795514

If I had the moolah I would give Vengie a really good home! :pac:

my kind of bike except i hate s works as a brand

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

manafana wrote: »
    my kind of bike except i hate s works as a brand

Same. But he has a name…:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Got my moon x330 light this morning. Nice piece of kit, smaller than I thought and very powerful. Will definitely have this one on low in the city. Will be interesting to see what the battery is like, and how it looks in the dark.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement