Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Pantani: The Accidental Death of a Cyclist Documentary
    http://viooz.ac/movies/24216-pantani-the-accidental-death-of-a-cyclist-2014.html

brilliant movie

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Doc07

If you have time, read 'The Death of Marco Pantani' by Matt Rendell. Great book.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

In fairness SB changed a word in the headline this time

326680.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

In fairness SB changed a word in the headline this time

Good article and a bit of fun at this time of year. No harm rerunning it IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

First frost of the year.
    From 18deg on Mon aft to frost on Wed morn.
    Some turnaround!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

tumblr_n4fi9e2zcP1ssgpa6o1_500.gif

tumblr_n4fi9e2zcP1ssgpa6o1_500.gif

Is he descending on a fixie?:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Skillz man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

That magical feeling when you realise your gps has been paused for the last 10k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

That magical feeling when you realise your gps has been paused for the last 10k

Or doing a segment, knowing you got the KOM, looking down and realising your GPS is paused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Or caring in the first place.

So yesterday, I see a guy lock up a black, brakeless singlespeed. With FREEWHEEL. Wtf? It was matt black with a red 5 spoke aerospoke ( I think they're called?) on the front. He had a fat schwalbe marathon plus on the front and a slick 25 on the back. The whole thing made my brain ache.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

gadetra wrote: »
    So yesterday, I see a guy lock up a black, brakeless singlespeed. With FREEWHEEL. Wtf? It was matt black with a red 5 spoke aerospoke ( I think they're called?) on the front. He had a fat schwalbe marathon plus on the front and a slick 25 on the back. The whole thing made my brain ache.

Was he bearded and wearing a wooly hat / tweed jacket / checked shirt?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This never gets old.

Was he bearded and wearing a wooly hat / tweed jacket / checked shirt?

No this was a stealth hipster - all in black.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

No this was a stealth hipster - all in black.
    I bet it was black check though

I bet it was black check though

Nope they've been colonising black denim for quite a while now. I just wish they contained a bit of imagination. I like skinny jeans on a guy.
    This chap I fear may not be long for this world, riding around Dublin as he is with no brakes and a freewheel. The marathon plus On the ' aero' wheel. fat tyre On the front. I suspect pathological dimness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

It wasn't a coaster brake?

Other wise why? My brain hurts just thinking about how quickly Darwins law of natural selection would occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Pompous

Does handlebar tape have to be sticky on one side?

I ordered some off ebay for $2. It arrived today but it doesn't have any adhesive, will it still work?

• Advertisement

It wasn't a coaster brake?

Other wise why? My brain hurts just thinking about how quickly Darwins law of natural selection would occur.

Maybe. It did tick though which made me think it was a freewheel. The mind boggles!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Pompous wrote: »

I ordered some off ebay for $2. It arrived today but it doesn't have any adhesive, will it still work?

Wrap some sellotape upside down around the handlebars first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Maybe. It did tick though which made me think it was a freewheel. The mind boggles!

It should have a front brake really. I have a 2 speed coaster brake hub on my commuter, and a normal front calliper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭De Bhál

it usually has a strip down the middle about 3mm wide that's sticky and is covered in a paper backing like a sticker. Remove this paper backing and it should reveal the sticky strip.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Doesn't have to be really sticky like sellotape, but there should be some kind of grippy surface on it yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Nope they've been colonising black denim for quite a while now. I just wish they contained a bit of imagination. I like skinny jeans on a guy.
    This chap I fear may not be long for this world, riding around Dublin as he is with no brakes and a freewheel. The marathon plus On the ' aero' wheel. fat tyre On the front. I suspect pathological dimness.

Atheism rests its case

Idleater wrote: »
    It should have a front brake really. I have a 2 speed coaster brake hub on my commuter, and a normal front calliper.

Fixes with no brakes are ok I think, I have no coaster brake experience so I can't comment on that. It also had tiny straight bars. I don't get that aesthetically. Track bars look way better, and are just as neat. I mean that's what those bikes are based on surely? The weird tiny straight bars jus don't work for me.

Pompous on the bar tape, maybe some double sided tape on your bars and stretch the tape over that? If you put it On the bar tape you won't be able to stretch it. Unless it's tape you aren't supposed to stretch obviously! Our just wrap it super tight? ( imagine it would slip after a while though?)

De Bhál wrote: »
    it usually has a strip down the middle about 3mm wide that's sticky and is covered in a paper backing like a sticker. Remove this paper backing and it should reveal the sticky strip.

Yeah I know, but like I said this doesn't have a sticky strip. I'm asking if it will work without one.
    Doesn't have to be really sticky like sellotape, but there should be some kind of grippy surface on it yeah

Yeah, should be, but for $2 from China I guess I got what I paid for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭clog

Yeah I know, but like I said this doesn't have a sticky strip. I'm asking if it will work without one.

Yeah, should be, but for $2 from China I guess I got what I paid for :D

Bar tape never used to come with a sticky strip. Start off at the bar end and keep it under tension always maintaining a bit of overlap and it will hold.

• Advertisement

clog wrote: »
    Bar tape never used to come with a sticky strip. Start off at the bar end and keep it under tension always maintaining a bit of overlap and it will hold.

Good stuff. I was thinking maybe this was the case but was not sure since I've only ever re-applied my existing tape (that had a sticky strip). Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement