Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

I'm astonished at how many people can't seem to put the L signs up on their car the right way around. If you can't do that right, then you don't deserve a license.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Kinet1c wrote: »
    I'm astonished at how many people can't seem to put the L signs up on their car the right way around. If you can't do that right, then you don't deserve a license.
    But, it's the right way round when I look at it in my rear view mirror...

I've not seen any N plates on the road yet. I wonder how many will turn into Z-cars :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Maybe the Garda bike theft unit (!) should employ this dog: http://projectyard.ie/2014/08/07/resident-project-yard-pooch-freddie-makes-the-news/ which found its owners stolen bicycle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Kinet1c wrote: »

Are they not 7s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Maybe the Garda bike theft unit (!) should employ this dog: http://projectyard.ie/2014/08/07/resident-project-yard-pooch-freddie-makes-the-news/ which found its owners stolen bicycle

haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

9bmCnvZ.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

And on the subject of stolen bikes - anyone seen this case of natural justice ...

Bike thief gets own bike stolen ..,

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/man-accused-of-stealing-bike-has-own-bike-stolen-on-day-he-was-due-to-appear-in-court-30493303.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

when you create a segment in strava, is there any way of recalculating your previous activities to take it into account?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

when you create a segment in strava, is there any way of recalculating your previous activities to take it into account?

Happens automatically, it just takes a bit of time for it to take in all the previous rides that covered the new segment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I got a Garmin VIRB Elite a couple of weeks ago and it's paying off on two fronts.

It's great on trails, it's primary use for me but it's also very handy to put on my handlebars while commuting two and from work.

It's amazing how the close passes and dangerous right turns into your path accumulate.

I've uploaded some of them to Youtube, but not going to go down the route of having a channel where I call people out on being stupid. I don't really approve of the driver equivalent of slut shaming (or slut shaming)

There's also plenty of clips of other cycles jumping lights, weaving about the road, not looking right when taking left turns, nearly hitting pedestrians...

Conclusion: Sometimes people are thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I was cycling past the den of mediocrity on Kildare St this morning on a dublinbike when an old boy walking on the path, in his 80s I'd guess, shouted to me "Your light is on young man!".
    Volvos must have absolutely done his head in back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

First real spin on the new road - was just getting the hang of it when I had an awful moment coming down the howth road when approaching the lights at fairview and completely blanking on how to stop the f***ing bike!

Three seconds of utter terror before I remembered how the brakes worked!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

ezra_ wrote: »
    First real spin on the new road bike

Three seconds of utter terror before I remembered how the brakes worked!

Classic. I totally understand where you're coming from on that :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭buffalo

Slow puncture in the new tube I put in yesterday. Replaced it today and 2 of the tubes I put in blew after putting them up to ~100 pressure, probably twisted or caught on the rim. :( Thankfully I'd 1 left and it seems to be holding up but will have to repair the original and one I put in yesterday to restock my saddle bag. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Reminds me. My father is extra not keen on punctures. I've talked him out of putting slime tubes into a carbon road machine but would latex tubes be a worthwhile investment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

Reminds me. My father is extra not keen on punctures. I've talked him out of putting slime tubes into a carbon road machine but would latex tubes be a worthwhile investment?

Depends on if he's lazy or not, they need to be pumped a lot more regularly than standard tubes, plus the other down side is when they go, they have a tendency to explode. I had one tear a hole in a new GP4000.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I was told that if I changed the chain on my bike, I would also need to change the rear cassette

Is that true? or is the guy BSing me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

bazermc wrote: »
    I was told that if I changed the chain on my bike, I would also need to change the rear cassette

You don't have to, but it can be best to change both.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭furiousox

Just sniffing around a used 2012 Scott Foil with 105 for E1000.
    Undecided as to whether I'll for it or not but it seems a steal at that price, no?

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

That is the given wisdom. The chain and the sprockets wear at the same time, they say, so it's best to change both together or you'll probably have problems with the new chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There are sites with guides & pictures about it, this has some info
    http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

If you leave your chain get too long it wears out the cogs badly. If you frequently change your chain before its too far gone then the cogs will not be as worn and you can get away with just the new chain.

I rode in a high gear all the time, my small cogs were very worn. I since got a new chain and turned it into single speed and have it on one of the bigger unworn cogs and it seems fairly OK. If I go up a really steep hill it might skip once or twice.

Also the higher gears on the cassette have smaller amounts of cogs so will wear easier. On some cassettes you can replace just these small cogs as its so well known that they wear faster. You can see the larger ones are connected and the smaller ones are replaceable on this
    fotolia_1082240_XS.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

That is the given wisdom. The chain and the sprockets wear at the same time, they say, so it's best to change both together or you'll probably have problems with the new chain.

That's not the "given wisdom". The chain and cassette don't wear at the same rate at all.

Is fairly subjective but you should be able to replace the cassette every 3rd chain. That's if you maintain everything well.

OP, post up a picture of the cassette.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

There are a large amount of clueless bike mechanics out there. I mean that they can fix a bike but have very little knowledge of componentry. I wonder is this as a result of being brainwashed by distributors.

I have been told that cassette needs to be changed with chain - it doesn't.
    I have been told that a 105 10sp cassette would not go work with an ultegra or SRAM group. I asked then about knc chains - guy had not heard of them.

Learn more yourself. There are some good mechanics out there but you do need to know a bit to tell what is bs and what is genuine advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

ROK ON wrote: »
    I have been told that a 105 10sp cassette would not go work with an ultegra or SRAM group.

LOL, who told you that?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Raam wrote: »
    LOL, who told you that?!
    A salesman in Cycleways. I lmao. He didn't see the funny side.

I asked for a cheap ten speed chain and he asked what group. I said it was a shimano group and he demanded to know which one.
    I said ultegra and he asked which one. I was annoyed and said irrelevant. I want a cheap 10sp cassette. He went thru a rigmarole that only 6700 chains would work on the 6700 group, 6600 on the 6600 group.

Bs - give me a 10sp 105.
    He relented.
    I had to get the chain quickly as it was hanging on by one link and I needed bike that night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Why is August pretending to be October?

:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement