Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

roof bars on mine and a thule 591 (halfords were brilliant sorting bits out to convert my rack so it fitted the octavia!)

towbar mounted seems the other alternative. cant see anyone recommending a tailgate mount on briskoda.net
    cheers - unfortunately, we don't have a towbar. or roof bars, i can see them eating into the fuel consumption too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

cheers - unfortunately, we don't have a towbar. or roof bars, i can see them eating into the fuel consumption too.

I got mine on (regular bike rack by putting the lower two parts touching just under the license plate. the top ones above the bend in the boot. Mine was a Saab 9-3 but same sort of boot. Found it great as you could still open the boot easily enough with the rack on. Should work with the flat back or the sloped window type IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

A bike mounted onto a towbar mounted carrier adds very little to your consumption. A roof mounted one will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

bcmf wrote: »
    A bike mounted onto a towbar mounted carrier adds very little to your consumption. A roof mounted one will.

It also means that you are much less likely to destroy expensive bikes on overhead barriers at car park entrances.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    It also means that you are much less likely to destroy expensive bikes on overhead barriers at car park entrances.
    Too soon man, too soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Not sure if there are any Inbetweeners fans out there but while cycling along the Sutton cycle track today I read the following graffiti "bike w@nkers" sketched on the lane. Made me giggle for a bit ;-)

Lumen wrote: »
    Too soon man, too soon.

Hey, I'm all about Public Service Announcements over here for the "greater good". If someone you know suffered from the aforementioned crashiness into overhead barriers then......oops!

Sure, it will probably never happen to them again. Right???

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

detones wrote: »
    Not sure if there are any Inbetweeners fans out there but while cycling along the Sutton cycle track today I read the following graffiti "bike w@nkers" sketched on the lane. Made me giggle for a bit ;-)

I had some fellas in a car pull up alongside me singing the William Tell tune and calling me a "bike w@nker", duly replied by calling them "car w@nkers". Laughs all round and off with them. The encouragement was great, but no offer of a sticky bottle!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

tacklemore wrote: »
    I had some fellas in a car pull up alongside me singing the William Tell tune and calling me a "bike w@nker", duly replied by calling them "car w@nkers". Laughs all round and off with them. The encouragement was great, but no offer of a sticky bottle!!

At least you get a bit of humour. I get largely indecipherable shouts, with a fair sprinkling of "tits", "odd socks" (how helpful, I never noticed I had either :rolleyes:) or what they would like to do to me which almost always lacks imagination. How I stop myself from leaping into their mothers cars I don't know :rolleyes: :pac: It's been two weeks now since I got shouted at which is nice. It's the only good thing about chillier weather, the gender hidingness of warmer cycling clothes!

Bike wanker has been on that cycle lane for a while, it gives me a good giggle every time I see it!

gadetra wrote: »
    At least you get a bit of humour. I get largely indecipherable shouts, with a fair sprinkling of "tits", "odd socks" (how helpful, I never noticed I had either :rolleyes:) or what they would like to do to me which almost always lacks imagination. How I stop myself from leaping into their mothers cars I don't know :rolleyes: :pac: It's been two weeks now since I got shouted at which is nice. It's the only good thing about chillier weather, the gender hidingness of warmer cycling clothes!

Bike wanker has been on that cycle lane for a while, it gives me a good giggle every time I see it!

Why do you wear odd socks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Speaking of getting shouted at, last Friday when I was waiting (in my cycling gear) to cross the junction to where my bike is parked, that pedal bus thing hired out for stags etc came by. Cue the usual slagging by many of the burley Scots, until one clever chap says no you fools we need him on to pedal :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I normally get garbled messes of "cyclist wanker" from a group of young lads in a glanza that seem to live in their car in my local area. Always the same car, doesn't matter if its Tuesday evening or Saturday afternoon, the same car will be cruising around shouting at me. We're nearly on first name terms at this stage. They don't seem keen on early mornings though.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Why do you wear odd socks?

Because I decided life is too short to pair socks! So whatever sock comes to hand in the morning is what goes on. The odd time it'll happen that I pull a pair out and it freaks me out now :o You get used to different sock heights.I'm a bit weird about inside out socks too - I heard when i was little that it's bad luck to turn them the right way round so I frequently have one right way round sock and one inside out sock. It fits into my minimal sock time ethos though :pac:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

My wife kept unpaired socks of mine in a box that I was unaware of until I recently discovered them. I similarly had a load of solo socks - I mixed them up, and hey presto! - I'm now sorted probably for the next month or two ....

Beasty wrote: »
    My wife kept unpaired socks of mine in a box that I was unaware of until I recently discovered them. I similarly had a load of solo socks - I mixed them up, and hey presto! - I'm now sorted probably for the next month or two ....

Odd socks make you faster. Fact. :P*

* I wish that was true!

I had an odd pair of socks on one day coming through Rathfarnham, turning right at the yellow house. As my light turned green and I waited for a break to make the turn I realised that traffic to my left was not moving. The tesco delivery guy had stopped to check out my socks (One a green Incredible Hulk sock, the other, an Amazing Spiderman sock). I had to distract him and point out that his light was green. Odd socks, entertaining but inhibitory to other traffic users.

Lazy morning, there is an old cup of coffee on my desk. Instead of throwing out the old coffee, I have now picked it up 5 times to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I hoard any odd socks I find in my rags box in the shed. There're handy for cleaning the RD/hanger/jockey wheels. I use them like gloves with a bit of petrol on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

I hoard any odd socks I find in my rags box in the shed. There're handy for cleaning the RD/hanger/jockey wheels. I use them like gloves with a bit of petrol on them.

same old socks superb for cleaning the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Boooooo still no Swim Cycle Run delivery for finishing off project wifenbike....

Super anxious to ensure it's a good fit (with the seat at lowest it's the same height as the Hybrid she's been learning on but the top tube is much higher than on that Sirrus) and it feels way too short for me with the new bars and stem so I'm hoping that ill make it a comfortable fit for the mere 6'0" Mrs. RS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

with the seat at lowest it's the same height as the Hybrid she's been learning on

Do you mean that the seat post is almost hidden whole in the seat tube? In such case the frame is definitely too big...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

What is Chris Froome's favourite part of a plant?

..the stem

..I'll leaf it at that.

Alek wrote: »
    Do you mean that the seat post is almost hidden whole in the seat tube? In such case the frame is definitely too big...

Yeah...buuuuuut I reckon she's got the seat a good bit too low as is due to beginners nerves, so I reckon once she raises it to normal height it'll be all good.

My dad is 5'10 and he found the frame ok with the saddle raised a bit higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I don't care what the month is called* or what the rules say.

It's bleedin' freezing out and my winter gear is being used when required. :mad:

*I'm calling it Aug'tober

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

gadetra wrote: »
    Because I decided life is too short to pair socks!

To counter my ocd of wearing the same colour/type of sock on either foot, I simply purchased a lot of the same colour sock. A lot of the same sock in white and a lot of the same in black. Now I just split them between black/white and pair them then. If I do wear an odd pair, it's likely I've finally snapped!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Assos really started messing me up when they started producing specific left and right socks ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭furiousox

Photo of Taylor Phinney's repaired leg.
    Back on the bike 12 weeks after breaking it.
    In other news a football match in Dalymount was cancelled last night due to "an uneven divot on the pitch and concerns about player safety"

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=881360845225430&set=p.881360845225430&type=3&theater

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

looks like some kind of tribal tattoo.

Assos really started messing me up when they started producing specific left and right socks ....

Aaaaargh! *head explodes*

furiousox wrote: »
    Photo of Taylor Phinney's repaired leg.
    Back on the bike 12 weeks after breaking it.
    In other news a football match in Dalymount was cancelled last night due to "an uneven divot on the pitch and concerns about player safety"

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=881360845225430&set=p.881360845225430&type=3&theater

Total hero leg now.

Seriously though ouch.

• Advertisement

The Lidl hiking socks that are my standby for cycling socks are starting to wear thin. OH THE HUMANITY!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement