Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Inquitus wrote: »
    Alot of the people who have won 2 of the 3 tours are alot better than Nibali.....he's distinctly average in this rarified air.

Comparisons of riders across different era is difficult. Best to compare him to riders of today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Haven't watched any of the TdF this year, but always liked Nibali. Gutsy. Don't think you're being fair to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

^Inquitus
    Coppi, Anquetil, Merckx and Hinault have never had te opportunity to prove themselves against Nibali either. The only one who has is Contador and Nibali has won the latest round.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

ROK ON wrote: »
    The only one who has is Contador and Nibali has won the latest round.

He won by default, imo that's the only way he can/will beat Froome/Contador. Don't get me wrong I love his riding I just think he's one tier below those 2 in ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I'm with Rok on this.
    I think Froome bottled it. He rides like bleeding scarecrow and would have went arse over tit on wet muddy cobbles.
    Nibali took the Tour by the balls and forced mistakes. Every stage he was at the front with almost all of his team.
    When Froome crashed on a wet cobbled stage he was mid peleton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

He won by default, imo that's the only way he can/will beat Froome/Contador. Don't get me wrong I love his riding I just think he's one tier below those 2 in ability.

To be fair, he didn't look one tier below them when he beat froome in tirreno adriatico last year. I know it's only one race but he went on to dominate that years Giro, when froome was doing the same in races before and after the tirreno, (i think it was quatar, possibly yemen... the hilly one in the middle east when froome beat contador ....)

Edit: tour of oman, just googled it

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

ROK ON wrote: »
    Nibali is a champ and he has won all of his big races riding from the front like a boss.

His main opponents crashed - one because he can't ride a bike with any grace whatsoever and one because maybe Nibalis lead forced him to taking risks.
    That is what leading from the front does - it outs others in the backfoot.

He took risks and they paid off, others took risks and they didn't.

Btw - I have a great deal of doubt that Froome was injured enough to warrant a dnf. Many other riders have finished and performed admirably thru injury.
    Bernie Eisel was interviewed at end of final stage. He said that CF retired due to his morale or nerves - he didn't mention serious injury.

The shark is a champ. End of.
    In every major race there will be an event. In many GTs these are crashes. Yes they play a part in the final result but they do not annul that result.

+1, you race against the people who turn up, if you win you're a champion, Nibali is a great rider who won by being the best. I would have loved to see him and Froome and Contador fight it out, but am far from convinced either of the others could have recouped the 2 and a half minutes Nibali pulled out on the cobbles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Pretty cool bike radar called Backtracker. http://vimeo.com/100202113 Looks interesting.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Alot of the people who have won 2 of the 3 tours are alot better than Nibali.....he's distinctly average in this rarified air.

Who?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Brian? wrote: »
    Who?

I'd rate almost everyone on the diagram as way better than Nibali, and a number of others, like Lemond,who aren't even on it. He's not beaten anyone of note in his 3 victories. He's the Walko of the Venn diagram!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I'd rate almost everyone on the diagram as way better than Nibali, and a number of others, like Lemond,who aren't even on it. He's not beaten anyone of note in his 3 victories. He's the Walko of the Venn diagram!

I hope for his sake that he doesn't read boards.ie or else he might never ride again with the realisation that he can never be as good as some others. Oh well, at least I have my medals and bank balance says Vincent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

because it's Friday, here's a van diagram

van.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

lennymc wrote: »

van.jpg

I think there are better vans that aren't even in the diagram, like, for example, the A-team van.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

and here's a van halen diagram...

5150_layout_976_zpsf76a8295.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Wheelsucker LeMond?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭furiousox

Looks like Roche is moving on from Tinkoff-Saxo.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-sky-leads-the-chase-for-nicolas-roche

EDIT: old news..... :-(

CPL 593H

van.jpg

Siamese vans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

v_theman.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

This is a pair of Vans.
    vans-shoes.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭seany15

• Advertisement

Here is another Van. Van Wilder. Sexy.

316734.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

and here's a van halen diagram...

5150_layout_976_zpsf76a8295.jpg

Can't bate a bit of Van Halen!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

Which one of you was this?

316749.jpg

I can make out that name - probably a good idea to take it down and really blank it out before the world goes mad and targets the poor girl. Cyclist sounds like he was being a dick. If it was me in the car I possibly may have got out and thrown his bike over a hedge, swiftly followed by throwing him over a hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

I know a few of ye come from God's Own County so Happy Yorkshire Day.

if_its_not_from_yorkshire_it_t.png?height=225&width=225&padToSquare=true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Cannot take that post seriously with the "5kph" comment :pac:

I can make out that name - probably a good idea to take it down and really blank it out before the world goes mad and targets the poor girl. Cyclist sounds like he was being a dick. If it was me in the car I possibly may have got out and thrown his bike over a hedge, swiftly followed by throwing him over a hedge.

Keyboard warrior!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If it was me in the car I possibly may have got out and thrown his bike over a hedge, swiftly followed by throwing him over a hedge.
    How would this heroic fantasy of yours have happened?

After (possibly illegally) beeping would you have driven in front of him and pulled in? or ran him over to get him off the bike? otherwise how do you get him off the bike, do you think he will just hand it over to be thrown over this handy hedge. Would you sucker punch him while he is still on the bike in a woefully disadvantaged position?

How long would you have spent doing all this? what with keeping your poor grandad in the car, late for his appointment and all :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    How would this heroic fantasy of yours have happened?

After (possibly illegally) beeping would you have driven in front of him and pulled in? or ran him over to get him off the bike? otherwise how do you get him off the bike, do you think he will just hand it over to be thrown over this handy hedge. Would you sucker punch him while he is still on the bike in a woefully disadvantaged position?

How long would you have spent doing all this? what with keeping your poor grandad in the car, late for his appointment and all :rolleyes:

Well, I would have nudged him with my car to let him know I was there like, (if he ignored that I would nudge him harder). I'm sure he would just ignore the beeping anyway. When he got all hot and bothered, and came round to me to remonstrate I'd open a can of whoopass, he would obviously be wondering where his bike was when he recovered from the whoopass, so I would quickly point him in the direction of his bike and give him a hand joining it over the hegde. If there was no hedge a wall would do. I'm very strong and a good thrower. The whoopass would only be a mini whoopass, so he would recover pretty quickly, so as not to hold me and gramps up any more.

I must be sure to tell you about how, when I cycle, I would throw drivers and cars into rivers when they get in my way, and when I walk how I throw horses at dogs etc etc.

In all seriousness, the cyclist sounded like a dick who was causing an obstruction to following traffic and riding without due care and consideration. A simple acknowledgement probably would have avoided any situation instead of behaving like a dick and trying to antagonise the driver. Trying to purposely antagonise other road users is just pure dickish. (nearly as bad as antagonising people on the internet :))

me and my buddies. :
    KeyboardWarriors.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement