Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

hueylewis wrote: »
    Nothing more puzzling than another cyclist sprinting past you on the road, only to almost immediately slow down, struggling to maintain the pace they set themselves.

Interval Training?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

This is what happens when a cyclist can't answer a riddle on facebook.

Shamelessly stolen from bike snob.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Lost 7 pounds this week, god bless my Bike.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

This is what happens when a cyclist can't answer a riddle on facebook.

Shamelessly stolen from bike snob.

Further down the bikesnob page, that new "schlong satchel" that Assos are doing. A hilarious but genuinely good idea. It's something that's always been kinda wrong with bibshorts so far IMO.

Also, cool to see Assos guy in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Further down the bikesnob page, that new "schlong satchel" that Assos are doing. A hilarious but genuinely good idea. It's something that's always been kinda wrong with bibshorts so far IMO.

Also, cool to see Assos guy in real life.

It's one for the bus I think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

It's one for the bus I think.

If it wasn't then I wouldn't be interested :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

marko93 wrote: »

Why had you pounds with you? Were you cycling over in UK?

inc21 wrote: »
    Why had you pounds with you? Were you cycling over in UK?

Obama-lol.gif

10/10 on the Dad joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

For those that have lost a good few KG cycling, did you notice an increase in power and speed as you got lighter?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

10/10 on the Dad joke!
    Check under the couch cushions, I always find a few quid there :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

Check under the couch cushions, I always find a few quid there :pac:

I'm sure that he doesn't want these 7 pounds back and BTW all this change would be weighing him down. Now if it was a tenner...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Time Atacs only have an allen key fitting at the back of the pedal, they don't have a groove for a pedal wrench like most other pedals, makes them a pain in the arse. Unfortunately my allen key isn't long enough to get decent leverage, so I'll have to rig up something to make it longer.
    Did you grease the pedals before fitting?

Do it with the bike the correct way up. It should never be placed upside down!

You can still get leverage by using a steel pipe over the allen key or clamping an adjustable spanner on it or by placing the allen key through a ring spanner. Tapping the allen key with a lump hammer usually works for me.

(PS - Look pedals are the same).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-velo-42-urban-mudguard-set-with-stays/

Would I get away with these as my roadbike mudguards for any future club spins?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

I snapped the inner jockey wheel cage plate on my ultegra 6600 derailleur. Can I get a replacement plate? Can't see anything on line.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Zyzz wrote: »
    For those that have lost a good few KG cycling, did you notice an increase in power and speed as you got lighter?

Didn't notice a huge difference in speed/power to be honest, although being out on the bike more also improved my fitness so hard to say whether any difference was down to that or the weight. It does make a big difference in climbing ability though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

It may be worth your while to see if a 105/Tiagra inner plate is the same and nab one on ebay and use that.
    Though I think there was a thread somewhere recently (maybe within the last 2 weeks) where someone was looking for Shimano spares and someone posted links.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Power doesn't increase no, but definitely noticed the P:W ratio improvement, especially when climbing.

Heavier guys tend not to notice any major difference on the flat, indeed plenty of good TTers and track riders are pretty hefty (though it's muscular weight), but in the general sense when out for a 100km spin over mixed terrain, you will find your average speed improving, as well as your stamina, purely because you're not hauling the extra weight over the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Dunno about lost. No doubt you have seen 7lbs difference, but to actually loose that amount, you'd need a 3500 calorie deficit for each of those lbs.

Have a look for "The Hacker's Diet" on d'internet - free ebook that I've found very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-velo-42-urban-mudguard-set-with-stays/

Would I get away with these as my roadbike mudguards for any future club spins?

Would they work? Probably. Would they last? I'm not sure, they look like they have only one point of attachment to the bike, at the brake, and I'd expect that bracket to have a short life.

Personally I'd go for something with stays, to support the mudguard further down both to stop it from bouncing off the tyres and ultimately to stop it from breaking itself. For the money for those ones you are close to the price of a pair of Crud RoadRacers 2's which, if they'll fit on your bike, should give better protection and last a while too (mine are 2 years old and still going strong). If you have mudguard eyes on the frame and forks though, then some of the more robust SKS mudguards are an option too for a similar price to the RoadRacers and with longer life expectancy again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

seamus wrote: »
    There are no bike maintenance guides which give you a complete list of all of the tools you will need to do bike maintenance.

In no Park Tools guide will you ever see a lump hammer and a cheap steel spanner listed.

But these are the tools you need to sort this. The lump hammer because it lets you take really good percussive strikes. And the cheap steel spanner so you don't wreck any of your good ones. Plus they're usually thin enough to let you use the "spanner side" of the pedal - a standard adjustable spanner won't fit.

Allen keys are nice and neat and work fine when you're only applying small levels of torque (< 30Nm) to something. If you need to apply really big torque, such as when you're removing a stuck pedal, allen keys have too much give.

A cheap spanner to remove pedals is a bad idea in my opinion. I've snapped a (seemingly) reasonably good spanner when removing a jammed pedal and the chunk it took out of my leg reminded me of why certain jobs need better tools, not lesser ones. So far I've been very happy with this hefty beast of a thing, a Park Tool PW-4, I have no qualms about swinging out of it whereas I couldn't do that with a lesser spanner for fear of it snapping in two and doing me harm in the process (again):

54202aa42f6a682702a0fbb429f0c256c7a85ffa_430x390.jpg

And Park Tool do have a 24oz/680g "shop hammer" too. I'm a great fan of having a hammer, or several, to hand when working on a bike, but a lump hammer is where I'd draw the line. With a lump hammer I believe the risk of doing damage to the bike (and tools), both where you are hitting it and elsewhere, outweighs any benefits it might have in terms of extra brute force over a lighter hammer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

doozerie wrote: »
    Would they work? Probably. Would they last? I'm not sure, they look like they have only one point of attachment to the bike, at the brake, and I'd expect that bracket to have a short life.

They have stays - this is from the description. They just chose to put up a stupidly misleading photo.
    Please note, the image just shows the mudguards. The stays will be supplied and clip onto the mudguard itself.

I got this one http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/sks-chromoplastic-mudguards/rp-prod25793

the 35mm wide one takes tyres up to 28mm. You'd need a road-bike with mud-guard mounts and decent clearance to take them so I'm only mentioning it just in case you have that...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Last summer i lost about 10kg for the boards raid, lost only a little power but with a 12-13% drop in weight the power to kg went way up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Mercedes-Benz may have just put out a cheaper new "luxury" model to attract the commoners, but in most European countries, more people are interested in buying bikes.
    On Friday, Nationa Public Radio published an analysis of vehicle sales in 27 European Union member states showing that bicycles outsold cars in every single country except Belgium and Luxembourg.Some of this trend could be linked to the dip in car sales due to the global recession, since the most extreme differences were seen in countries with lower GDPs than their more prosperous EU peers. Lithuania sold nearly 10 times as many bikes as it did cars. In Greece, new bike sales outnumbered car sales by more than five to one. The same held true for Romania and Slovenia, while bike sales in Hungary quadrupled those of cars.

3020711-inline-new-passenger-car-and-bicycle-sales-2012-chartbuildercustom-52ce0e51cc669b1c7267930f2f65dda1c5ceb3ba.png3020711-inline-where-bikes-outsold-cars-the-most-in-2012chartbuildercustom-a15dd9600ccb70ba6a2fd894c74f28ae95e0ab39.png

Still, a similar pattern held true for Spain, Italy, France, Britain, and Germany, all countries that also witnessed more bikes than cars sold in 2012. As NPR noted, this was the first time more bikes than cars were sold in Italy since World War II. In the U.S., car sales are actually doing well for the first time in six years, but that's no indicator of what's to come, NPR noted.
    As we've written in the past, the next generation of car owners just isn't all that into four-wheel drive, or luxury items, for that matter. Plus, with dreams of the Hyperloop making mass transit sexy again, conventional gas-guzzling cars suddenly seem a little passé.

http://www.fastcoexist.com/3020711/heres-an-idea/bikes-are-officially-more-popular-than-cars-in-europe#!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Losing weight by training is different than losing it by diet alone. Any time I shed a few kg by excersise I notice a positive difference in ability. I'm 6'3" and 90 kg though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I find it most interesting to note that bikes sales so massively outstripped car sales in less developed countries (Romania, Hungary, etc), as history has taught us that car ownership skyrockets when economies are stabilised and per capita GDP improves. Romania and Hungary have seen GDP rise between 200 and 400% in the last 13 years.

It also seems to align with the "peak car" theory. But it could also be a pure economic issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Don't those figures only include new car sales though, I'd imagine the majority of people are buying second hand cars because they can't afford new models, whereas the majority of those bike sales would be through the bike to work etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Don't those figures only include new car sales though, I'd imagine the majority of people are buying second hand cars because they can't afford new models, whereas the majority of those bike sales would be through the bike to work etc.

Plus while few people will buy multiple cars how many people are buying multiple bikes? Many, many bikes. Shameful number of bikes. I'm talking about you...

Still, it's a great trend to see.

route66 wrote: »
    Dunno about lost. No doubt you have seen 7lbs difference, but to actually loose that amount, you'd need a 3500 calorie deficit for each of those lbs.

Have a look for "The Hacker's Diet" on d'internet - free ebook that I've found very useful.

Thanks I'll have a look at that, much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »

Fair point, fairer study would be to take the number ofvehicle registration certificates and compare those to new bike + estimated second hand bike sales.

See would the number vary differently, although maybe they have done this but it is doubtful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement