Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Lads - what is the recommended amount of 'play' in the chain of a single speed/fixie? Would about 1cm (at the bottom) be ok? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Lads - what is the recommended amount of 'play' in the chain of a single speed/fixie? Would about 1cm (at the bottom) be ok? Thanks.

That bike was perfect when I gave it to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,626 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Yeah that tends to be the accepted amount. There should be enough play for it to move up or down when you wiggle it by about 1-2cm, but not so tight that it can't. Your rear wheel should be able to spin freely if you rotate the cranks (only works for fixed gears).

Too loose and you risk it jumping off, too tight and you'll wear out components fast and risk snapping the chain.

Raam wrote: »
    That bike was perfect when I gave it to you!
    :D Indeed - I just wanted to make it more perfect by stripping it down, degreasing it, polishing it, replacing the brake blocks, dumping the mudguards, and changing the suicide tyres.

.....and perhaps some new bar tape!
    _Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Yeah that tends to be the accepted amount. There should be enough play for it to move up or down when you wiggle it by about 1-2cm, but not so tight that it can't. Your rear wheel should be able to spin freely if you rotate the cranks (only works for fixed gears).

Too loose and you risk it jumping off, too tight and you'll wear out components fast and risk snapping the chain.
    Thanks Stephen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

:D Indeed - I just wanted to make it more perfect by stripping it down, degreasing it, polishing it, replacing the brake blocks, dumping the mudguards, and changing the suicide tyres.

.....and perhaps some new bar tape!

Thanks Stephen.

Bartape must remain in place. That was a condition of purchase.

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    Bartape must remain in place. That was a condition of purchase.
    Oh absolutely -it will remain in place.

(It just may be covered with another colour! :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I was travelling outbound along the infamous Clontarf cycle track last evening when I spotted some cyclists ahead. 3 going in the same direction, and one oncoming. You can tell by the colour of the lights, right?
    Of course not! I noticed that the white light of the "oncoming" cyclist wasn't getting any closer and thought to myself "Jaysus! That mad lad has a front light on the back of his bike!".
    Moving along I was about to move out on an overtake of the other 3 cyclists ahead of me when suddenly one of them got very large indeed. As if to balance the World's equilibrium, he was cycling towards me with a big rear light on the front of his bike.
    If you're reading this, Mr. Red-light-on-the-wrong-end-of-the-muppet&bike-combo, you are not long for this world if you continue doing very stupid things while out on a bike at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Its fast becoming an 'exotic creature on two wheels' spotter's paradise. If it's not the dazzing and peculiar lights of a lone fred, its the clumsy group riding of some tri-hards.

Time to take the Howth Road!

I noticed that the white light of the "oncoming" cyclist wasn't getting any closer and thought to myself "Jaysus! That mad lad has a front light on the back of his bike!"
    I've encountered a lad several times in Movistar kit with a flashing white light to the rear. I could sort of understand seeing this on a rusty MTB around the city centre but based on this chap's excellent climbing ability on Howth he's not using the bike just as a cheap mode of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

I was travelling outbound along the infamous Clontarf cycle track last evening when I spotted some cyclists ahead. 3 going in the same direction, and one oncoming. You can tell by the colour of the lights, right?
    Of course not! I noticed that the white light of the "oncoming" cyclist wasn't getting any closer and thought to myself "Jaysus! That mad lad has a front light on the back of his bike!".
    Moving along I was about to move out on an overtake of the other 3 cyclists ahead of me when suddenly one of them got very large indeed. As if to balance the World's equilibrium, he was cycling towards me with a big rear light on the front of his bike.
    If you're reading this, Mr. Red-light-on-the-wrong-end-of-the-muppet&bike-combo, you are not long for this world if you continue doing very stupid things while out on a bike at night.

Another one? that happened to me few weeks ago, posted about it here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86919463

• Advertisement

And for the record yes we do love Beasty, everybody does.

That bit....we're allowed to query that bit, right?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Moved to off-topic thread :)

And now we have our Friday topic for debate! :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

That bit....we're allowed to query that bit, right?
    No

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

If I can love Beasty despite him paying big bucks for me to have this horrendous user title, then anyone can :D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just to avoid any unfounded speculation, absolutely no sexual favours were sought or provided in connection with any recent Mod appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

The lines between this thread and the bus are becoming blurred.

Beasty wrote: »
    Just to avoid any unfounded speculation, absolutely no sexual favours were sought or provided in connection with any recent Mod appointment.

Okaaaaay....that's all in the past is it?

Okaaaaay....that's all in the past is it?
    Is there any evidence in the public domain of your allegations?

Is there any evidence in the public domain of your allegations?

Not that I'm aware of. Are we going to see a denial in relation to appointments other than recent?
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Not that I'm aware of. Are we going to see a denial in relation to appointments other than recent?

All I'll say about it is that there was a tractor and some really close *ahem* "drafting" involved...

• Advertisement

So you admit there is nothing to support your earlier allegations

In terms of "appointments other than recent" are you implying, in a defamatory manner, that one is or my be appropriate?

So you admit there is nothing to support your earlier allegations

In terms of "appointments other than recent" are you implying, in a defamatory manner, that one is or my be appropriate?

Not at all. Was just wondering why you might choose to only deny the recent ones :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

With all these allegations of dodgy dealings, I think some laptops need to be seized.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Looks like Edinburgh cyclists don't like the city’s new tram lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Oh look.. he survived the crash without helmet. MIRACLE! PRAISE THE LORD! (yes it's friday :pac: )

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

The article doesn't say the cyclist is a muppet for trying to cross the tracks at too obtuse an angle and should have stuck to the left. Why does the cyclist need to cross the tracks at that point?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

The article doesn't say the cyclist is a muppet for trying to cross the tracks at too obtuse an angle and should have stuck to the left. Why does the cyclist need to cross the tracks at that point?
    It looks narrow between the tram track and the pedestrian lights ahead and there appears to be roadworks going on beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Cycle lanes are great. Since I went back to motorbiking I can really see the benefit of using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

To get to the other side?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

lennymc wrote: »
    Cycle lanes are great. Since I went back to motorbiking I can really see the benefit of using them.

Still trying to pedal the footpegs?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement