Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Are there any same day bike service shops in Dublin? Some weird noises coming from my bike, would be a pain in the hole if I was to go on the spin on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Zyzz wrote: »
    Are there any same day bike service shops in Dublin? Some weird noises coming from my bike, would be a pain in the hole if I was to go on the spin on Sunday

Usually it just depends on what work they already have scheduled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Richies in swords are same day service.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....Some weird noises coming from my bike...
    I'm not surprised with all the KOMs you've been hoovering up! It probably needs a break. :)

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Richies in swords are same day service.

What sort of prices do they charge for a regular check up!? :)
    I'm not surprised with all the KOMs you've been hoovering up! It probably needs a break. :)

Haha I think I need to give Strava a break and focus on some specific race training :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I treated myself to a new helmet while on holidays in the USA

I was thinking of putting it in my suit case in the soft shell helmet carrier I have and than wrapped in clothes.

Do you reckon it will be safe or am I better off carrying it on.?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,614 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

There's a van that works in the IFSC just outside NCI, he tends to only have one or two bikes at a time so I'm sure he could do it fairly fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

bazermc wrote: »
    I treated myself to a new helmet while on holidays in the USA

I was thinking of putting it in my suit case in the soft shell helmet carrier I have and than wrapped in clothes.

I'd wear it just in case the plane crashes!

What sort of prices do they charge for a regular check up Southsider!? :)
    FYP!
    bazermc wrote: »
    Safe from what?:confused:
    _Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    There's a van that works in the IFSC just outside NCI, he tends to only have one or two bikes at a time so I'm sure he could do it fairly fast.
    The Spokesman?? (or something like that).

The Spokesman?? (or something like that).

Yeah it's something like that, can't for the life of me remember the name of it, or what days it's there!

• Advertisement

Received my Rapha winter hat from LPB via a number of discrete intermediaries. All of my winter sartorial issues are past. It is red, which does not suit me at all as a horifically pale Irish person.

Luckily, as it's a Rapha product all of my cycles from now on will be in glorious monochrome.

I'd wear it just in case the plane crashes!

'Man survives horrendous plane crash by wearing bicycle helmet'
    Yeah it's something like that, can't for the life of me remember the name of it, or what days it's there!

Yup the spokesman, he's at the IFSC on Thursdays I think which doesn't help! I'm working tomorrow which is a pain in the hole to try and get this sorted!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

It's the Dublin Spokesman who's in Ifsc, nice guy, have used him a bit. He's somewhere almost every day, can't link on phone. Good luck :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

gadetra wrote: »
    It's the Dublin Spokesman who's in Ifsc, nice guy, have used him a bit. He's somewhere almost every day, can't link on phone. Good luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

What sort of prices do they charge for a regular check up!? :)

I'm not sure tbh. Give them a call. They are nice chaps.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Any ideas on how to remove a stuck set of pedals? Got the other set off the track bike no bother, but these ones are just jammed in there, and the cranks jumping with the freewheel isn't making it easy.

Any ideas on how to remove a stuck set of pedals? Got the other set off the track bike no bother, but these ones are just jammed in there, and the cranks jumping with the freewheel isn't making it easy.

penetrating oil is usually the first stop on that train.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Try stick a brush handle through the frame to stop the cranks from jumping and put a pipe on the end of your pedal wrench to lengthen it, should give you more torque (law of the lever ftw).

Got it off after an hour or so of cursing and screaming at it. Seemed to do the job.

Now to figure out how I messed up the brake caliper.

I love bikes.

Bikes are great fun.

Maybe this is why my own bike has no brakes or gears....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

My shifters for the big ring were being a pain in the arse today.

Wouldn't go into the biggest ring at the front at all.

Any ideas/tips?

My hands got so cold going over the featherbeds that I didn't have the strength to go from the small to the big ring, had to pretty much use my arm :pac:

Any ideas/tips?
    You have more that 2? :eek:

Loose/broken cable? Lubrication?

You have more that 2? :eek:

Loose/broken cable? Lubrication?

No, just the 2, but can't get up to the big one.
    They're well lubed.
    Nothing seems broken but I'm no bike mechanic, have only recently mastered changing tubes & tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Thanks for the link.
    I was working in London in 1972, when "Transformer" was released.
    I had never been a big fan of V.U., but that album was amazing. I listened to it
    Endlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Any ideas/tips?

Check out YouTube videos on setting up your front derailleur. If it's a new bike the cables may have stretched. I can't remember which ring too loose cables will leave you in. It shouldn't be anything else like high/low limits unless things took a bang and moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭to99

Not worthy of a thread but...

About 4 weeks ago residents in our apartment block received a letter to say that anyone with a bike was to attach a brown paper tag to it (which was provided with the letter.) Obviously there was no point in putting the tag on it when you were using your bike everyday because it would most likely fall off. Sure enough, the 4 week deadline came and any bike without the tag had their lock cut, sawn off, their bike put in a van and sent to an undisclosed location to be disposed of within a week. So many bikes were taken that there wasn't enough room in the van so a pile were left in the carpark to be taken away the next day; during which time I saw a couple help themselves to a bike in the pile after the husband brought his tools down to lower the saddle and have the wife try it out.

I forgot to put the tag on my bike (would have been handy if they had put a notice up in the building to remind people- it's easy to forget after 4 weeks.) But thankfully I was able to get it back, although I had to purchase a new lock. From 100+ bikes, less than 50 remain.

Anyone experience anything similar living in an apartment building?

Apartment block I'm in issued rags recently, yellow ones. Just small cable ties really, then issued green ones. Each time they got rid of un tagged bikes.

Mine was always tagged so dunno what happened untagged ones.

My bike always overnights on my balcony. There's never any room in the bike shed when I get home from work, it's against the "rules" to have the bike inside but I'm not leaving it out in the open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Apartment block I'm in issued rags recently, yellow ones. Just small cable ties really, then issued green ones. Each time they got rid of un tagged bikes.

Mine was always tagged so dunno what happened untagged ones.

My bike always overnights on my balcony. There's never any room in the bike shed when I get home from work, it's against the "rules" to have the bike inside but I'm not leaving it out in the open

i keep my bikes in house too, anyone with a half decent bike should do their best to secure it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement