Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Spent way too long doing this.. :pac:

YTFXYcN.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 21,633 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I always plan to do something like that every year.

And then I mess up cutting the triangles for eyes and just hack into it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Guybrush T

Zyzz wrote: »
    Spent way too long doing this.. :pac:

YTFXYcN.jpg?1

Very nice, but you'll need to up your game to win a prize.

Pumpkins

Some people have way too much time on their hands

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

I'm expecting delivery of a Kaffenback any week now (they take their time in Planet X don't they) and I'll be attempting to attach mudguards to it.

Was there a thread recently on fitting mudguards to bikes with Disc Brakes or did I dream that?

My usual mechanical skills involve workarounds with lots of gaffer tape, blu-tack, bits of string and the lighting of devotional candles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

So all lycra'd up, bike cleaned and lubed, bidons full espresso consumed and texting my sister to let her know I'd stop by on my planned 100km+ spin around Meath/Kildare.

Then work calls to tell me I need to be around between 1400 and 1600...FML

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭Ryath

daragh_ wrote: »

Was there a thread recently on fitting mudguards to bikes with Disc Brakes or did I dream that?
    Few ways in this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056973000&page=6

Think this was quite well done
    1JLLMIO7-photo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

So all lycra'd up, bike cleaned and lubed, bidons full espresso consumed and texting my sister to let her know I'd stop by on my planned 100km+ spin around Meath/Kildare.

Then work calls to tell me I need to be around between 1400 and 1600...FML

That should teach you for answering work phone on your day off :p

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭flying11

Before i pull the trigger on a set of these, could someone please tell me if a shimano 9 speed cassette can be placed on shimano 10 speed freehub if i use an appropriate spacer?

Just wanted to double check as i'm not 100% sure redface.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

flying11 wrote: »
    Before i pull the trigger on a set of these, could someone please tell me if a shimano 9 speed cassette can be placed on shimano 10 speed freehub if i use an appropriate spacer?

Yes, shimano 10sp and 9sp cassettes are the same size, only the spacing between cogs changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So after remarking to a mate that when you're a cyclist, "every day is a leg day", I decided to take advantage of a work offer for a local gym with a pool.

Yeah, cycling fitness doesn't translate to swimming. Ok, my legs are fine, but my upper body feels like it's about to fall off. 240m in about five minutes and it felt like I'd just done a 10km TT.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

flying11 wrote: »

Got these as an upgrade in August. They are very good wheels for the price. Notable difference on climbs and descents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

http://bestpozitiv.ru/video/talantishhe/
    From 22secs in watch the guy in the white shirt on the moped in the top centre/left

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭flying11

Got these as an upgrade in August. They are very good wheels for the price. Notable difference on climbs and descents.
    Cant wait to get them now. Im upgrading from the stock set of wheels that came with my bike - mavic cxp 22's which weigh almost 2.4kg!

The sciroccos are only 1.7kg so i should feel a big difference when climbing. They look the business too !

Anyone know if b'twin components (8spd chain) are 1. Shimano compatible 2. Decent?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1655849966/infinity-seat-revolutionizing-the-bicycle-seat?ref=live

Just came across this on kickstarter, might interest some of you guys.

9a750eef84bdf6e0a67b7cbe6e9896a1_large.jpg?1381880042

• Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭buffalo

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

Interesting one on facebook....
    Coilte are using a picture of a mountain bike trail to promote their centre at Ticknock.
    However the picture is of a trail down in Killarney that Coilte banned local cycling clubs from using (usual environmental palava).
    Few people from the club pictured in the photo posted comments on the picture just telling Coilte that they got a bit mixed up and Coilte responded by blocking comments while continuing to promote their own agenda.

Bad form.....?
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=661604757205616&id=189960274370069&set=a.203402459692517.56304.189960274370069&source=48

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

Interesting one on facebook....
    Coilte are using a picture of a mountain bike trail to promote their centre at Ticknock.
    However the picture is of a trail down in Killarney that Coilte banned local cycling clubs from using (usual environmental palava).
    Few people from the club pictured in the photo posted comments on the picture just telling Coilte that they got a bit mixed up and Coilte responded by blocking comments while continuing to promote their own agenda.

Bad form.....?
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=661604757205616&id=189960274370069&set=a.203402459692517.56304.189960274370069&source=48

More than bad form, potential legal issue relating to the copyright of the photo and those in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

buffalo wrote: »
    helmet-cam-cyclist-busts-driver-eating-cereal-30mph

You see, this is shocking. What sort of driver does that? Can they not see that the slope of the bowl's sides is going to cause the milk to slosh everywhere? What they need is a bowl with steep/vertical sides and maybe an overhang at the lip to keep the milk in place. Gonna have a smelly car otherwise...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

On my way to work yesterday I was behind a car in my estate and I could see by their profile that the driver had quite voluminous hair. As I got closer it looked like their hair was green. I pulled alongside at a junction and saw the driver in her full glory - her hair was indeed green, her skin was orange, and she was wearing oompa-loompa clothing. She looked fantastic. And a little self-conscious. I had the oompa-loompa song stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

Last night I went trick or treating with my daughter. She was dressed as a witch, at her insistence I had to wear a Dracula cape. Thankfully there wasn’t enough time for her to paint my face too, which she was keen to do. She collected enough junk food to feed a child army for a week, people were very generous. One woman even offered me a bag of crisps with a “shall I give your daddy a packet of crisps for his costume” - I felt like the oompa-loompa lady, but even more ridiculous as my costume was so craply incomplete that I couldn’t even argue that I was just heartily embracing the spirit of the day.

Later on we watched from indoors as some of our neighbours set off fireworks on the road outside. The guy lighting the fireworks didn’t seem at all concerned about being right next to them when they took off. He gave the impression of someone who knew what he was doing. Until one of the fireworks rose to about 3m in the air, then flew horizontally for about 10m before hitting a parked car and exploding. Turns out the the line between knowing what you are doing and just getting by on pot luck is very fine. He didn’t even pause though, he happily continued in the same vein with the rest of his fireworks (with no further collateral damage, thankfully). After that some adults handed out powerful bangers to some of the kids, who lit them before slowly and casually throwing them a few metres away where they exploded impressively and loudly.

Halloween, quite a mix of the surreal, the fun, and the downright idiotic.

My wife cruelly shot down my planned Halloween costume of wearing my cycling lycra plus helmet, so that when people asked me about cycling I could complete the costume by saying "What's cycling?"

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

Seaneh wrote: »
    Anyone in Cork missing a Pinarello?

Offer seems far too good to be legit?

http://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/carbon-road-bike/4082235

That ain't a Pinarello. It is a carbon road bike ( and advertised as such ) but it has Pinarello decals on it.
    Its sad really, it looks like its dressed up for Halloween.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Rua_ri wrote: »
    That ain't a Pinarello. It is a carbon road bike ( and advertised as such ) but it has Pinarello decals on it.
    Its sad really, it looks like its dressed up for Halloween.

Looks like a Dogma to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

Seaneh wrote: »
    Looks like a Dogma to me...

It probably rides like one too.....

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Have found a new appreciation for cycling with night time cycles. It can be really peaceful and surrene spinning along looking up at the stars and there is a certain beauty to the countryside at night. Decents in the dark are fun too!! Feeling really tempted to give an Audax event a go will try and talk some other lads not too unfamiliar with this forum to give it a go too.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭c50

for anyone on facebook this lad is giving away a set of rubena tyres worth 70 quid, doesnt seem a lot to ask for chance to win seeming as barely any entries it seems so far...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=620000781395340&set=a.619401374788614.1073741829.608605195868232&type=1&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Today I went on a lovely cycle through Tallaght and up ballinascorney and seskin. However on my way past Marley Park up Grange Hill, I was cycling along in slow moving traffic passing some out carefully around the traffic lights. Anyway as traffic began to speed a tractor appeared ahead in the bus lane going probably less than 20 km/h, as I was plodding along at a speedy 30km/h or so I decided I'd pull out (checking all was clear behind etc.) and overtake the tractor which I proudly managed without much trouble.

However just as I was edging past the tractor, I saw in the corner of my eye a car extremely close to me, probably less than a foot or two away from my back wheel and seemed to be threatening to attempt a dangerously close overtake, so I waved at him to back off.

Anyway when I complete overtaking the tractor I returned to the bus lane. The aggressive driver than pulled up beside me and informed me that there was a cycle lane over there (on the nearby foot path). I asked if he'd like to pull over and we could discuss this issue in more detail (I had hoped to inform him that there was no legal obligation for me to be in the cycle lane), he just put his passenger window back up on sped up to go through an orange light :rolleyes:.

So all in all this numpty's only excuse he gave for tailgating me was that I was that shouldn't been there.

Another trend I've noticed of late is cars moving into the cycle lane at junctions and roundabouts so I don't have space to pass. The only for this I can see is that they feel that they've gone to all the trouble passing you out that it'd be terribly embarrassing if you undertook them again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

@ Raam - No general discussion rule! No wheels with the bike so I can't accommodate your pre-censorsed demand!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement