Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Nice piece on happiness in cities, boosting cycling big time

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/nov/01/secrets-worlds-happiest-cities-commute-property-prices

Edit: it's from a new book, Happy City

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Happy-City-Transforming-through-design/dp/1846143209

I'll ask the library would they order it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Nice piece on happiness in cities, boosting cycling big time

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/nov/01/secrets-worlds-happiest-cities-commute-property-prices

Edit: it's from a new book, Happy City

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Happy-City-Transforming-through-design/dp/1846143209

I'll ask the library would they order it.
    Was going to post that too. The quote from Mr. Judge who cycles in the winter in Saskatoon is beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

detones wrote: »
    Have found a new appreciation for cycling with night time cycles. It can be really peaceful and surrene spinning along looking up at the stars and there is a certain beauty to the countryside at night. Decents in the dark are fun too!! Feeling really tempted to give an Audax event a go will try and talk some other lads not too unfamiliar with this forum to give it a go too.
    Cycling on quiet roads on starry nights is sublime.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Cycling on quiet roads on starry nights is sublime.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Rapha winter hat = Worth its weight in gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

Fine figure of a man! I see he regards women as consumables:
    “They told me I had the constitution of a 55-year-old man, they think it's genetic,” he told Reuters last year. “I have never deprived myself of anything: not wine, not food, not women, but always with moderation.”

Have to say, fair fúcks to him! I wouldn't be able to do it at half his age!

I see he regards women as consumables!

A model for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Fine figure of a man! I see he regards women as consumables:

If they don't stick around as long as he does then what's the man to do?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Do we have a slightly overpriced scarves thread?

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Do we have a slightly overpriced scarves thread?

How could their claim be verified?

So the chains on both my commuter and my roadbike chose to stretch this week (according to my parktool chain checker).

Also while working last night my trusty leatherman multitool disintegrated in my hand.

FML

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭le petit braquet

Rapha winter hat = Worth its weight in gold.

And you only paid in Euros! Looking forward to receiving the balance:D

And you only paid in Euros! Looking forward to receiving the balance:D

I knew it! "The money was just resting in your account Ted"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

So the chains on both my commuter and my roadbike chose to stretch this week (according to my parktool chain checker).

Also while working last night my trusty leatherman multitool disintegrated in my hand.

FML

Years ago, I got a present of a a Leatherman Wave. About three years ago, one of the tools broke(my fault). I brought it into a Place at the Bottom of Grafton Street, that sold Leathermans(mine was not bought there, I had no receipts or proof of purchase). They took the Leatherman, told me me, they'd see what they could do . About a week later, I received a brand new Leatherman in the post, free gratis and for nothing. It might be worth your while, giving them a shout. I can' t remember the name of the shop.
    Leatherman have a 25 year warranty period

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Years ago, I got a present of a a Leatherman Wave. About three years ago, one of the tools broke(my fault). I brought it into a Place at the Bottom of Grafton Street, that sold Leathermans(mine was not bought there, I had no receipts or proof of purchase). They took the Leatherman, told me me, they'd see what they could do . About a week later, I received a brand new Leatherman in the post, free gratis and for nothing. It might be worth your while, giving them a shout. I can' t remember the name of the shop.
    Leatherman have a 25 year warranty period

Peterson's AFAIK, although I think the shop may be closed now, they probably moved.
    They're the distributor for Leatherman, Led Lenser, Zippo and others AFAIK.

AltAccount wrote: »
    Peterson's AFAIK, although I think the shop may be closed now, they probably moved.
    They're the distributor for Leatherman, Led Lenser, Zippo and others AFAIK.

Cheers. Google says they're on Nassau st now might bring mine in during the week.

Cheers. Google says they're on Nassau st now might bring mine in during the week.

Founded by Conrad Peterson from Latvia, who fought in both the Latvian revolution and the 1916 Rising!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Grit spreading trucks out in force tonight in NCD. Tomorrow morning's commute may be interesting! :eek:

Grit spreading trucks out in force tonight in NCD. Tomorrow morning's commute may be interesting! :eek:

NCD?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

NCD?
    North County Dublin
    (But Dublin County North on Boards, or Fingal if you want to be awkward!)

Bit of frost this morning but no ice and forecast is for it to be warmer (and wetter) ovenight, so I'm not anticipating any problems tomorrow ...

(I know, famous last words)

More money to Wiggle 2 new chains, crud road racers and an 8spd casette.

I remember when cycling used to save money...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If I pump my tire, it will lose the air over the course of a week, so for the better part of a week it is fine, would you bother finding the small leak and fixing it, seeing as I should be pumping it that often anyway?

If I pump my tire, it will lose the air over the course of a week, so for the better part of a week it is fine, would you bother finding the small leak and fixing it, seeing as I should be pumping it that often anyway?
    Are you sure it's a puncture? - there will always be some loss of pressure over time. How much pressure is it losing?

If there is a puncture I would suggest fixing it where you have some light and shelter, as I for one prefer not having to do it on an unlit coutry road in a monsoon ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

An article by one of my favourite columnists, Lucy Kellaway at the FT.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/7b3bd0e4-3d62-11e3-9928-00144feab7de.html#axzz2jg6tfRcA

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i think so yes, it's getting pretty flat while the other wheel barely changes, I'll have a look at how low it goes, it starts at 120, but loses most of that. I recently put a patch on it, it may be that it is not 100% air tight. i suppose I'll fix it, just wondering would it get any worse if it didn't, as i have to pump them anyway, and if it just stays the same it's not really much of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

ROK ON wrote: »
    An article by one of my favourite columnists, Lucy Kellaway at the FT.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/7b3bd0e4-3d62-11e3-9928-00144feab7de.html#axzz2jg6tfRcA

Givus a summary. Paywall.

i think so yes, it's getting pretty flat while the other wheel barely changes, I'll have a look at how low it goes, it starts at 120, but loses most of that. I recently put a patch on it, it may be that it is not 100% air tight. i suppose I'll fix it, just wondering would it get any worse if it didn't, as i have to pump them anyway, and if it just stays the same it's not really much of an issue.

Check that the two halves of your presta valves are tight.

I had similar symptoms a while ago, resolved by getting two grips and tightening the two valve sections a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Is chain reaction's website a bit iffy today or is that just me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement