Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NDLS - National Driver Licence Service centres (Qs, waiting times, etc)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

ION08 wrote: »
    Applied for mine on Saturday 8th of Feb and got it in the post this morning! :)

2 weeks, not bad.

The inconsistency is astounding!!!
    Where did you apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Shane Fitz wrote: »
    The inconsistency is astounding!!!
    Where did you apply?

Santry

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Has anyone been in there recently ? Want a rough idea of how long I'll be there if I was to go in sat at 9?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

km79 wrote: »
    Has anyone been in there recently ? Want a rough idea of how long I'll be there if I was to go in sat at 9?

In where?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved from Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

D Trent wrote: »
    In where?

Galway

km79 wrote: »
    Galway

Galway centre was never too bad the times I was in but haven't been in since December

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

Finally got my learners C today, after I applied in early November 2013...and I had to make THREE phone calls to ask about it!

But no, of course they cant do anything fúcking right. It says my issue date is 09/07/2012 and my expiry date is 8/07/2014.

Thanks you absolute fools.

oak5548 wrote: »
    Finally got my learners C today, after I applied in early November 2013...and I had to make THREE phone calls to ask about it!

But no, of course they cant do anything fúcking right. It says my issue date is 09/07/2012 and my expiry date is 8/07/2014.

Thanks you absolute fools.

I would sue the bastards for undue and unnecessary stress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

At least their phone servie has improved and is easy to use now.

Have to send it back in to them. Probably wont get it back corrected for another 3 weeks. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

So, there I was praising the NDLS for not been too long getting my license out to me. Took about 4 weeks.

However, my happiness was short lived, when I got a letter stating they sent my the wrong categories (I got an A and shouldn't have apparently), and now I had to send mine back and I was told I should have it back within "10 working days". Ridiculous.

According to the letter, I shouldn't have gotten the A category learner permit under any circumstance since I'm not 24 or have haven't had a full A2 for 2 year (which is stupid considering the A2 category was only introduced in Jan 2013, so it hasn't been two years). The max category I can get is an A2.

Worst part is now I may have to pay a few hundred euro to have my bike restricted because of their fu*k up, since my bike has a power (from official manufactor website) of 36.5kW, and the A2 limit is 35kW. Doesn't matter that the bike is 12 years old, and has no where near 35kW.

Absolute shambles of a company!!

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

A friend applied for her full licence and got it in just under 2 weeks. I was surprised, thought it would be longer. This is in the Castlebar centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

A friend applied for her full licence and got it in just under 2 weeks. I was surprised, thought it would be longer. This is in the Castlebar centre.

Same for me.
    I got my learner permit really quick in Castleber.
    Also I applied for category A, and CE on the same learner permit.
    This was quite complicated situation, and it wasn't easy for them to deal with - even though everything worked good.
    I'm impressed how much the standard improved since times when driving licence was handled by motor tax office in Castlebar, which was absolute madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

just passed a theory test today for cat A. Was planning on dropping into the cork office later in the week... however just seen you have to use the booking system and earliest date is not till the middle of next week? Bit of a joke really... will I get a LP there or will I have to wait for them to send it out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Gate Automation

I get funny info when i try booking, anyone know why and what next ?

13411280133_82a35b6654_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Galway: Location dire. No queueing system. just a free for all. Good staff who seemed overworked. ridiculous that they have to just double check your details and post it to Cork for processing.

If I worked there i'd be so frustrated

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭hegarty147

Hey guys do any of ye know a alternative number to the ndls than 0761.The reason I ask is that I'm living abroad and u cannot call 0761 from abroad I need to call to get a letter of entitlement. Any ideas ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Bulmers Original

2 penalty points FFS :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭hegarty147

no you have to call to verify your identification ...its so stupid

Just for credit where its due, i went to the Leopardstown NDLS center last Wednesday at 1:30pm.

Walked in the door only a handful of people there, two desks setup to great you, one for walk ins, one for appointments. Guy at the appointments desk asked me did i have an appointment to which i said no, he then helped me out anyway and brought me straight over to one of the windows where a polite, friendly girl processed my motorcycle learner permit for me. No hassle.

She did say i picked the right day as it had been busy all week but i have to say the experience was way better than any trip to the old motor tax office.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭GobblyNob

I'm getting my license renewed and can't find any info whether they print the card there and then. Any ideas folks? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

They take your digital photo, completed form and money then send the new card out in the post.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Don't think so. You apply and it arrives by post. You get a prints receipt which is enough of stopped by Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

kceire wrote: »
    Don't think so. You apply and it arrives by post. You get a prints receipt which is enough of stopped by Garda.

Not all cops accept the receipt plus it takes about a month on average to receive your new licence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭GobblyNob

A MONTH? :O Why does it take so long? This is the one time I wish we had a bit of African style corruption where I could slip the clerk an extra 20 pound to "expedite" the process.

Anyway, I want to buy a car now. Well, tomorrow in fact.

Can I buy the car, insure it, and drive around with the receipt?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

GobblyNob wrote: »
    A MONTH? :O Why does it take so long? This is the one time I wish we had a bit of African style corruption where I could slip the clerk an extra 20 pound to "expedite" the process.

Anyway, I want to buy a car now. Well, tomorrow in fact.

Can I buy the car, insure it, and drive around with the receipt?

Ya you should be allright but if you meet the wrong cop they could make an issue of it, you might be safer making a copy of your license too.

I got a work ID a few months ago with my photo and all my details including my car number and it was done in 2 minutes. I think Africa are actually ahead of us here...:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Truckermal wrote: »
    Ya you should be allright but if you meet the wrong cop they could make an issue of it, you might be safer making a copy of your license too.

I got a work ID a few months ago with my photo and all my details including my car number and it was done in 2 minutes. I think Africa are actually ahead of us here...:pac:

As you're renewing one you already have a licence. You don't 'not have a licence' whilst you're waiting for the plastic card.

Your licence is actually the file in the NDLS, not the card. The card is merely a portable record of it.

Buy the car.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement