Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NDLS - National Driver Licence Service centres (Qs, waiting times, etc)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Sorry if this has been asked before guys:

I currently live in Kildare but work in dublin so can I renew my licence in Dublin or must it be in the county I reside?

Is it just a case of turning up for a licence renewal? Or must I make an appointment (theres no phone nuber on their website)

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

I booked an app online but earliest they had was next wednesday.

I dropped into thm this morning and asked did they have an app sooner. Got one for 15:45 today.

My advice, go into them and see if they can sort you our stright away. Failing that, you'll get an appointment sooner than the website allows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I currently live in Kildare but work in dublin so can I renew my licence in Dublin or must it be in the county I reside?

Is it just a case of turning up for a licence renewal? Or must I make an appointment (theres no phone nuber on their website)

Thanks guys

When I was taxing my car in Dublin tax office I was told I couldn't because it's registered to Kildare, plotted down the same address just with Dublin after Kildare and for away with it !

But that's an interesting one, I'd say it wouldn't matter the as all the applications get sent to one main office where the licenses are printed !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Thanks guys

Well my Dad lives in Co Cork - and renewed his licence at the Tralee (in Kerry obviously) NDLS centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Thanks guys
    From NDLS website:

There is at least one centre in every county in Ireland. As part of the new service you don't have to apply in the one closest to home. Instead you can apply for your licence in any one of the NDLS centres nationwide many of which are located in convenient places such as shopping centres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

D Trent wrote: »
    From NDLS website:

There is at least one centre in every county in Ireland. As part of the new service you don't have to apply in the one closest to home. Instead you can apply for your licence in any one of the NDLS centres nationwide many of which are located in convenient places such as shopping centres.

Was certainly more convienient for my Dad to do it in the Tralee centre - reckon he saved around 2 hours compared to going to Cork City and messing with parking, buses, traffic and other crap like that

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Vologda69

A third NDLS office is due to open in Cork to cover the eastern part of the county down to Waterford an take pressure off the busy city centre office.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭allybhoy

I set up an appointment and applied for my replacement license on the 10th of March in the Citywest NDLS, still haven't received it in the post and I urgently need it for my job, emailed them twice (info@ndls.ie) and haven't had a reply, cant find a phone number anywhere for NDLS. Would somebody here have a number for them? Its such a frustrating process, I fear ill have to call up to them but I cant take time off work to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

allybhoy wrote: »
    ...cant find a phone number anywhere for NDLS. Would somebody here have a number for them?...

NDLS headquarters is at RSA Towers in Ballina. Call 096 25000 and follow your nose.

allybhoy wrote: »
    I set up an appointment and applied for my replacement license on the 10th of March in the Citywest NDLS, still haven't received it in the post and I urgently need it for my job, emailed them twice (info@ndls.ie) and haven't had a reply, cant find a phone number anywhere for NDLS. Would somebody here have a number for them? Its such a frustrating process, I fear ill have to call up to them but I cant take time off work to do that.
    Hmm, they removed their number from their contact page on their site.

Doesn't matter, I rang them enough, thier number is in my call log!

It's 076 108 7880. Google this number and you see a link to their site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭test2014

I sent off for a full car license and a motorbike license on the 14th of March. Still no word back.

Anyone else waiting this long?

Gonna ring them monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Which centre was this? That seems way too long, over 8 weeks? I'd be getting onto them asap!

Waterford but i thought it all goes through the same backoffices no?

I have both receipts so certain its sent off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Not too up to date on this really, but I think all of them go to Ballina in Mayo to be processed, and then back again to the individual centres. Even still, it shouldn't take that long. I know you have to allow for delays and backlogs, but not 8 weeks. A friend of mine got theirs in under 2 weeks not too long ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭jammer84

I got my licence out in around 2 weeks back in first week of May. They sent me a three year instead of a 10 year so I sent it back to them on the 7th May and it was signed for on the 8th in Cork. No sign of the corrected licence as of yet.

Mine just arrived.

Applied on the 20th March.

2 1/2 Months. Madness.

That's fairly nuts alright - super inefficient down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

I applied for mine on Friday, 23rd May (did not have appointment, had to wait 2 hr 30 mins, Portlaoise).

Received my new licence yesterday (Tuesday, 3rd June), so 8 working days if excluding weekends & public holiday.

Not bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Not too up to date on this really, but I think all of them go to Ballina in Mayo to be processed, and then back again to the individual centres. Even still, it shouldn't take that long. I know you have to allow for delays and backlogs, but not 8 weeks. A friend of mine got theirs in under 2 weeks not too long ago...

They are sent from each centre down to cork..The licences are then issued from there.

Just got this response to an email I had sent in a week ago:
    The processing time for correcting licence errors is upwards of three weeks. We apologise for any inconvenience you have experienced and we will have the licence returned to you as soon as possible.

When I first contacted them about the error on the licence I was informed it would take between 8-10 working days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 msvalhalla

Just thought it was worth sharing a poor experience with the new National Drivers Licence Service.

I'm abroad at the moment for a year or more and have recently lost my new credit card drivers licence that I received from the NDLS just before I left in Feb 2014.
    Their FAQ on the website states that you only have to apply in person once and that you can apply by post or phone afterwards.
    When I requested this service, here is the extremely helpful service I received...NOT:

31st May 2014 - My initial enquiry
    To whom it may concern,

In January 2014 I applied for in person and received a new credit card style drivers licence.
    Since then, I have moved abroad and I have recently lost my licence. I will not be able to apply in person for a replacement licence as I will not be in Ireland for at least 1 year and I need the licence in the coming months.

In your FAQ on the website, it states that:
    "You should only need to attend an NDLS centre once to do this face to face application – after that, you will be able to get subsequent licences and learner permits by phone/postal application."

I have family members in Ireland and a friend in the Garda Siochana who can confirm my identity if necessary.

Can you please let me know the process for a family member to apply for a replacement licence for me in Ireland (by post or in person)?

Attached is a copy of my new licence that was lost.
    Thanks in advance.

4th June 2014 - NDLS first response
    Dear XXX,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to renew your licence form abroad at this time. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

If you have any queries in relation to this communication, please contact our Customer Services Team on +353 (0) 761 087 880 and quote your case reference number, or visit the National Driver Licence Service website www. ndls .ie

Yours sincerely

Customer Services Team
    National Driver Licence Service

4th June 2014 - My second attempt
    Hi,

Thanks for the information. As per your websites FAQ: "You should only need to attend an NDLS centre once to do this face to face application – after that, you will be able to get subsequent licences and learner permits by phone/postal application."

Therefore, can you outline how I can apply by post or phone?

Also, given that I have already gone through the application process and this is only a replacement licence, is it possible to help me by expediting delivery of the replacement licence to my address?
    If so, what is the delivery time.

Thanks and Regards,

6th June 2014 - NDLS second response
    Dear,

Unfortuantely, the postal service has not been set up so this option is not currently available.

If you have any queries in relation to this communication, please contact our Customer Services Team on +353 (0) 761 087 880 and quote your case reference number, or visit the National Driver Licence Service website www .ndls .ie

Yours sincerely

Customer Services Team

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

Theyre an absolute joke. New service is absolutely terrible. Que up for an hour to be told my appointment is 4 hours later that day. So had to wander around for 4 hours and when I got back they wouldnt accept my identity card as ID despite the fact it says they do on the website. Then when I finally went back and put through my application, Im waiting now 3 weeks to get it. Its nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭ustari

Went in to local on this morning at half nine to replace driving licence. One booth open and was told it would be an hour and a half to two hour wait.

One booth open on a Saturday, likely to be their busiest day. Was then told I could book appointment, next available date? 17th June.

Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Vologda69

msvalhalla wrote: »
    Just thought it was worth sharing a poor experience with the new National Drivers Licence Service.

I'm abroad at the moment for a year or more and have recently lost my new credit card drivers licence that I received from the NDLS just before I left in Feb 2014.
    Their FAQ on the website states that you only have to apply in person once and that you can apply by post or phone afterwards.
    When I requested this service, here is the extremely helpful service I received...NOT:

31st May 2014 - My initial enquiry
    To whom it may concern,

In January 2014 I applied for in person and received a new credit card style drivers licence.
    Since then, I have moved abroad and I have recently lost my licence. I will not be able to apply in person for a replacement licence as I will not be in Ireland for at least 1 year and I need the licence in the coming months.

In your FAQ on the website, it states that:
    "You should only need to attend an NDLS centre once to do this face to face application – after that, you will be able to get subsequent licences and learner permits by phone/postal application."

I have family members in Ireland and a friend in the Garda Siochana who can confirm my identity if necessary.

Can you please let me know the process for a family member to apply for a replacement licence for me in Ireland (by post or in person)?

Attached is a copy of my new licence that was lost.
    Thanks in advance.

4th June 2014 - NDLS first response
    Dear XXX,

Unfortunately, it is not possible to renew your licence form abroad at this time. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

If you have any queries in relation to this communication, please contact our Customer Services Team on +353 (0) 761 087 880 and quote your case reference number, or visit the National Driver Licence Service website www. ndls .ie

Yours sincerely

Customer Services Team

4th June 2014 - My second attempt
    Hi,

Thanks for the information. As per your websites FAQ: "You should only need to attend an NDLS centre once to do this face to face application – after that, you will be able to get subsequent licences and learner permits by phone/postal application."

Therefore, can you outline how I can apply by post or phone?

Also, given that I have already gone through the application process and this is only a replacement licence, is it possible to help me by expediting delivery of the replacement licence to my address?
    If so, what is the delivery time.

Thanks and Regards,

6th June 2014 - NDLS second response
    Dear,

Unfortuantely, the postal service has not been set up so this option is not currently available.

If you have any queries in relation to this communication, please contact our Customer Services Team on +353 (0) 761 087 880 and quote your case reference number, or visit the National Driver Licence Service website www .ndls .ie

Yours sincerely

Customer Services Team

In order to replace or renew an Irish licence I believe the Road safety authority has made residency in Ireland a precondition. You said you could be out of the country for a year or more. So it's unlikely they will replace it while you are not in the country. A friend who works in the card section says the postal system is months away from being brought in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Might be worth checking out

http://www.ombudsman.gov.ie

ndls is a quango operated by the RSA and as such it must be able to actually provide the public services they claim to provide.

@Vologda69
    Thanks for your views but your points on residency and the replacement of my licence are not fully clarified/coherent. I am no expert in residency nor do I want to go reading up on it just to deal with the NDLS but:
    - I am currently a citizen and I believe I am also still a resident of Ireland as I have only left the country in February 2014.
    - I stated these dates in my email to the NDLS and they would know from my records that I am as Irish as the Corrs and Enya.
    - Have you any reference for the residency claim (and they could have given me a more detailed response above including this if it was an issue)?

Thanks for the information on the postal system. I had guessed this was probably going to be the case, but as another poster pointed out, they should be providing the services they claim to provide.

@Going Forward
    Thanks for the info, based on experience I am not going to go through the Ombudsman on this one. I have made use of several of these bodies before, and unfortunately I have found that in all the times I have gone that extra step to complain, I have wasted more of my time than received a positive result. By way of information, I found the consumer rights people slightly slow but very patient and useful. I also used the Credit Review Office once to successfully overturn a banks decision on a declining me a business loan.

Finally, I am actually returning to Ireland this week for two weeks as I have some other things to do. I am going to go into the office myself and get apply for the lost licence in person. I will be surprised and extremely grateful if they can expedite the issue of the licence but I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dangel4x4

Although you're not obliged to exchange your licence for a local one when you move to another EU country, this is an excellent example of why it can be a good idea... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I dont believe they are being operated by the rsa at all

They gave me a learner permit for category d anf d1 with the code for a 6 month wait before I can sit the driving test.

that law is only for bikes and cars (a and b) only and shouldnt be on my license.

Rang the rsa directly myself to discuss it and they said they are completely useless and are always making mistakes. (Thankfully I dont need to do anything as that code cannot apply to the category im in as there is no law for it)

@Dangel4X4
    Thanks, I am aware of that and a few other EU advantages as my other half is Spanish, but it is useful information for other readers. I have been travelling in Central America so it doesn't apply for me this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dangel4x4

Thank you for your sarcasm, I'm sure you're a pleasure to deal with in real life too.

Good luck on your quest. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement