Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NDLS - National Driver Licence Service centres (Qs, waiting times, etc)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

visual wrote: »
    RSA grubby hands all over this.

In this day and age what checks do you really think they are doing that takes weeks or months

The licence can be printed instantly. After they visually inspected you are the person in photo. Its entered into computer system. Computer will look up instantly all relevant information.

Then its ready for posting and there is even a question why it can not be handed over to you there and then as posting it to your home address doesn't really validate any more than showing proof of address in office.

Sooner the elections roll around the better.

College ID cards can be done up there and then - and they have the black strip for scanning too - shocking that NDLS can't come up with a better solution for licences

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Old diesel wrote: »
    College ID cards can be done up there and then - and they have the black strip for scanning too - shocking that NDLS can't come up with a better solution for licences

In fairness , college ID cards are a piece of plastic with a photo printed on them. I've never seen a college or work ID with UV reactive printing or laser engraved signatures on it, or an embedded chip, or any of the other security measures the licence has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

shinikins wrote: »
    In fairness , college ID cards are a piece of plastic with a photo printed on them. I've never seen a college or work ID with UV reactive printing or laser engraved signatures on it, or an embedded chip, or any of the other security measures the licence has.

Ah come on how long do you think it takes the machine to print licence ? Less than 30 secs and I'm being very generous.

In the time it takes a licence to be issued a car can be built shipped halfway around the world and put on your drive way

visual wrote: »
    Ah come on how long do you think it takes the machine to print licence ? Less than 30 secs and I'm being very generous.

In the time it takes a licence to be issued a car can be built shipped halfway around the world and put on your drive way

You've obviously not seen one of the new licences! It would take a lot longer than 30 seconds to print a photo, categories, name and address, UV features, light reactive ink, engrave each individual signature and embed each persons information on the microchip, all on different layers on the card itself. 30 seconds to print a crappy college ID card maybe, but I'm sure it takes quite some time to print the new licence. It has some of the same features the new passport has and they can't be printed up in 30 seconds either!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I have what is known as a ADR licence (Fuel Tankers etc) it has my mug on the front along with DOB/signature etc and the different class of dangerous goods that I can carry,It also has the issuing body hologram for security purposes yet it only costs €15 and takes less than a week to issue and it is a standard EU licence.
    The RSA should never have been given the job off rolling out the new licence and it should never have been farmed out to a private company,The motor tax office is were it should have stayed,Like the HSE the RSA also seems to have layers of bureaucracy for instance if I need to talk to someone in vehicle standards or enforcement.
    Instead of calling the office directly which I was able to do up to recently,Instead I get put through to some sort of call center in Balina were by I'm put on hold for a few minutes and then asked by the operator why I want to talk to someone in a certain department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

You've obviously not seen one of the new licences! It would take a lot longer than 30 seconds to print a photo, categories, name and address, UV features, light reactive ink, engrave each individual signature and embed each persons information on the microchip, all on different layers on the card itself. 30 seconds to print a crappy college ID card maybe, but I'm sure it takes quite some time to print the new licence. It has some of the same features the new passport has and they can't be printed up in 30 seconds either!

Gnib cards are printed instantly. They have all an immigrants info on it and also their finger printing

GNIB cards aren't an identity card, and are only of use to the Gardai, if they request it-just like the Garda Age card. Totally different from the new licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

GNIB cards aren't an identity card, and are only of use to the Gardai, if they request it-just like the Garda Age card. Totally different from the new licence.

However they DO hold more info than the driving license, and are printed off immediately. It can be used when applying for theory test, xan be used when applying for your driving license as identification.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

It should be obvious to you they were talking about the printing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

So my licence arrived last week. Mistake on it. It expires in 8 months because I held another provisional in a different category last year.
    I am not paying another €30 in 9 months. Dont want to give it back now as I want to start learning to ride a motorbike but you need the licence.

Gahh

• Advertisement

lollsangel wrote: »
    However they DO hold more info than the driving license, and are printed off immediately. It can be used when applying for theory test, xan be used when applying for your driving license as identification.

What other info does it hold? As for using it as ID when applying for the licence, I'm afraid your wrong, it's used to prove residency entitlement along with a valid passport.
    "Current Certificate of Registration (GNIB card) for non-EU/EEA/Swiss Citizens must be produced with current national passport"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Applied for mine 27th of Jan. Got it in the post today. They seems to be getting better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

I applied for my renewal on saturday 8th of Feb and was told it'll take around 6 weeks to receive!... 6 Bloody Weeks?!?! For a card?? ... Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

nd wrote: »
    Applied for mine 27th of Jan. Got it in the post today. They seems to be getting better.

Where'd you apply. ?
    I applied December 15th in city west and have heard nothing.

Shane Fitz wrote: »
    Where'd you apply. ?

8 Weeks?? Shocking.

Where'd you apply. ?

In the Limerick center.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Where'd you apply. ?

I'd ring them if I was you. They won't call you if there is a problem. They will put your application to the bottom of the pile. They may have lost something.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭gruffler91

Applied for my full licence on 15th Nov and still waiting for my licence. I've rang them 3 times, twice I've been told it's in the post and most recently as of Jan 24th that it was in the printers.NDLS have ensured me that they have all my relevant docs and nothing except their initial backlog was holding up my application.

I have already made a complaint to the RSA and am waiting to hear back from them but just wanted to see if there's anything else that people have tried and has resulted in them getting their licence?

gruffler91 wrote: »
    Applied for my full licence on 15th Nov and still waiting for my licence. I've rang them 3 times, twice I've been told it's in the post and most recently as of Jan 24th that it was in the printers.NDLS have ensured me that they have all my relevant docs and nothing except their initial backlog was holding up my application.

I have already made a complaint to the RSA and am waiting to hear back from them but just wanted to see if there's anything else that people have tried and has resulted in them getting their licence?

You are waiting as long as I was. Contacting the RSA solved it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Colleague at work needed an emergency replacement for work to go to UK next week and was told 'no can do', and has to wait 3 weeks... too late for work though. ....

Not good enough tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Was over with a friend getting her first driving license in the Castlebar centre yesterday. Very prompt service, in and out in 10 minutes. She was told the license would be with her i 2 - 3 weeks, but after reading some of the posts on this, i'm getting doubtful!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Was over with a friend getting her first driving license in the Castlebar centre yesterday. Very prompt service, in and out in 10 minutes. She was told the license would be with her i 2 - 3 weeks, but after reading some of the posts on this, i'm getting doubtful!

I went to Castlebar NDLS centre in mid December for learner permit.
    I was actually astonished how good and professional this place was.

I had nothing but horrible memories when dealing before hand with Mayo motortax office in relation to my Licence (I was doing many different licence categories so I dealt with them many times).

But since dealing with licence was moved to NDLS it's nothing but perfect.
    My case was complicated, but staff there did everything they could to make it go right with as little hassle for me as possible.

I eventually got my learner permit less than a month after applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

CiniO wrote: »

I had nothing but horrible memories when dealing before hand with Mayo motortax office in relation to my Licence (I was doing many different licence categories so I dealt with them many times).

My case was complicated, but staff there did everything they could to make it go right with as little hassle for me as possible.

Ya they're sound out and very professional at what they do! Yer wan behind the counter was laughing and saying how did they give you a learners permit, you look so young! She is 22 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ya they're sound out and very professional at what they do! Yer wan behind the counter was laughing and saying how did they give you a learners permit, you look so young! She is 22 :pac:

Arra sure if ya can't have the craic with the customers what can ya do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

So friendly staff but crap system, it took 3 weeks to get a licence, when you should have got it on the spot. Even the passport comes back in 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

So friendly staff but crap system, it took 3 weeks to get a licence, when you should have got it on the spot. Even the passport comes back in 10 days.

I have only comparision to time when for driving licences you were dealing with Mayo motor tax office.
    This was a nightmare.
    NDLS is professional.

IMHO it's a huge improvement.

I have only comparision to time when for driving licences you were dealing with Mayo motor tax office.
    This was a nightmare.
    NDLS is professional.

IMHO it's a huge improvement.

Ill take the old system any day.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

nd wrote: »

Was the queue in the centre bad?

It was about 11 Monday morning so I though it'd be very quiet. But there were prob. about 6 people ahead of me. And another about 6 came in shortly after.

But the wait wasn't too bad. Maybe half an hour.

• Advertisement

Applied for mine on Saturday 8th of Feb and got it in the post this morning! :)

2 weeks, not bad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement