Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NDLS - National Driver Licence Service centres (Qs, waiting times, etc)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 msvalhalla

Dangel4x4 wrote: »
    Thank you for your sarcasm, I'm sure you're a pleasure to deal with in real life too.

Good luck on your quest. :rolleyes:

Sorry if you picked up sarcasm from it, it wasn't intended. I did want to clarify my case though as it looked like you thought I was abroad in the EU.
    What you said about EU licences is very useful, my partner moved to Ireland a few years ago and the ability to change licences without having to resit the test can be quiet useful. We only found out by chance and it saved us hassle with insurance at the time. Your comment could be useful to someone that may be in the EU scenario.

No need for your second comment though...I don't go judging people on a few boards.ie posts.

I have spent some time looking at NDLS stuff these days, here are a few points in the last couple of posts that may benefit others:

Residency Requirements for applications
    =============================
    The main application form for the NDLS (D401) states that one must have "normal residency". This is a business term that in general means you should be residence in the given country for a minimum of 185 days of the last twelve months and also have your main personal/business connections in that country.
    This was a potential issue for me as I was recently travelling abroad and had some trouble trying to apply by post/phone.

Phone/Postal Applications
    ===================
    The main application form (D401) states that the postal service will be in place from early 2014. I received some curt email responses saying that I could not apply by post with no reasons why. Another poster here on boards has heard that the postal system is months away from being setup. This is a pity and poor service as the NDLS has it stated on its main application form.

Also, I have been getting poor email responses of recent and as a result I wanted to contact them by phone. I have tried ringing the helpline from abroad over the last two weeks using an Irish Vodafone mobile and also Skype. It does not even get a dial tone and I have tried from the EU and Central America. This is their only displayed number: +353761087880. This may be temporary or it may be as a result of me calling from abroad, but they display the number in certain places with the international dial code (+353).

So both the phone and postal system are either not great or non-existent.

Complaints
    ========
    If anyone would like to take it a step further, there is a complaints procedure:
    Complaints Procedure

Complaints in relation to this service are accepted in writing only and may be made through rsa.ie or by post to:

Road Safety Authority
    Moy Valley Business Park
    Primrose Hill
    Ballina
    Co. Mayo

(Also, there was confusion in recent posts whether the RSA was involved in the NDLS or not. This complaint address would indicate that they are involved.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

I'm working when the only times to book for next two weeks in the centers nearest to me (Citywest and Leopardstown) are available.Does that mean that both centers are fully booked and there'd be no point in me going in early one morning and chancing my arm to be seen?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Vologda69

The 991 code has always appeared on all 1st permits (be it cars or trucks) So it's not a mistake and should be on the permit if its your first in that class. It also indicates to gardai etc. what number permit you're on. 992 is a second, 993 a third permit etc. The only difference being that you don't have to wait six months as you would have previously held a permit in a higher category.
    I dont believe they are being operated by the rsa at all

They gave me a learner permit for category d anf d1 with the code for a 6 month wait before I can sit the driving test.

that law is only for bikes and cars (a and b) only and shouldnt be on my license.

Rang the rsa directly myself to discuss it and they said they are completely useless and are always making mistakes. (Thankfully I dont need to do anything as that code cannot apply to the category im in as there is no law for it)

Over one third of appointments are kept for walk ins (these are given out by staff on the day rather than on the website) If you are there waiting at 8.30 before opening, you will be almost certain to get an appointment within the hour. You also have the option of waiting for a cancellation (of which there can be many). Citywest tends to be much quieter than Santry or leopardstown. A new Dublin office is due to open in Clare hall in the next 6 weeks.
    I'm working when the only times to book for next two weeks in the centers nearest to me (Citywest and Leopardstown) are available.Does that mean that both centers are fully booked and there'd be no point in me going in early one morning and chancing my arm to be seen?

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Vologda69 wrote: »
    The 991 code has always appeared on all 1st permits (be it cars or trucks) So it's not a mistake and should be on the permit if its your first in that class. It also indicates to gardai etc. what number permit you're on. 992 is a second, 993 a third permit etc. The only difference being that you don't have to wait six months as you would have previously held a permit in a higher category.

Your mistaken.

There is a code for first leaner.

There is a separate code for waiting 6 months before taking the test.

The second one shouldnt be on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Its a joke of a service, Downloaded from Ros.ie my Pps number on some correspondence from Revenue. They point blankly refused it as it was a copy FFS
    It came from Revenue now have to wait till July for next appointment.
    Where can I complain about these Job worths?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭installer

My partner and I needed to renew our licenses last week, we walked into the Galway centre without appointments and got through in about 40 mins, we got there at 9 am and there were already people there so go early, just waiting for the licenses to arrive now, the guy who processed my application said I should receive it in 5 to 8 working days yet the person who processed my partners said 2 to 3 weeks.. Strange

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

I made an appointment, but its just under 2 weeks away and there's a chance I wont be available for it now. Could I call in this week despite having an appointment already made? I don't want to risk cancelling it if I turn up early and don't get an appointment for that day or if they have an issue with someone already having a booking for a different day.

just wondering if anyone had tried it

@ciara1052

I did exactly this a few weeks ago in the Tralee office. Was home on short time frame and chanced it Wednesday before my actual appointment on Friday.
    It worked fine, and I just told the guy at the end of my appointment that I had a prebooked appoint on Friday so he cancelled it.

Note:
    Be there 20-30mins before it opens with everything ready to go and you should be fine of your one of the first in the door.

Also, the morning I was there just after I sat down another man entered and one of the female staff approached him and wouldn't give him an inch unless he prebooked an appointment. So you may get unlucky on the day, but to be fair, of your there early with everything perfect to go, they shouldn't turn you away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

msvalhalla wrote: »
    @ciara1052

I did exactly this a few weeks ago in the Tralee office. Was home on short time frame and chanced it Wednesday before my actual appointment on Friday.
    It worked fine, and I just told the guy at the end of my appointment that I had a prebooked appoint on Friday so he cancelled it.

Note:
    Be there 20-30mins before it opens with everything ready to go and you should be fine of your one of the first in the door.

Also, the morning I was there just after I sat down another man entered and one of the female staff approached him and wouldn't give him an inch unless he prebooked an appointment. So you may get unlucky on the day, but to be fair, of your there early with everything perfect to go, they shouldn't turn you away.

thanks so much for the quick reply! I wont cancel and I'll see how it goes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

Does any of these centre's have a contact number as all I can find is a email address which I have got no replies to?

I'm in Australia and I have misplaced my licence and the information on the website seems to just cover lost licences at home in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

top madra wrote: »
    Does any of these centre's have a contact number as all I can find is a email address which I have got no replies to?

I'm in Australia and I have misplaced my licence and the information on the website seems to just cover lost licences at home in Ireland.
    There is only the helpline number and email address. You need to order a driver statement and have it sent to you by a family member. You can use that to echamge for an Australian licence, and when you come home to Ireland you can exchange that for an Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

shinikins wrote: »
    There is only the helpline number and email address. You need to order a driver statement and have it sent to you by a family member. You can use that to echamge for an Australian licence, and when you come home to Ireland you can exchange that for an Irish one.

Hi, would you have this helpline number please?

I''ve been waiting for my licence for over a month now and emailing them seems next to useless as the only responses I''ve been getting are automated emails.

It was posted earlier in the thread, +353 (0) 761 087 880

top madra wrote: »

Go to the RSA website. They have a page for people who are living abroad. A dedicated form needs to be filled in. It's in the press release page (January)

Hi, would you have this helpline number please?

I''ve been waiting for my licence for over a month now and emailing them seems next to useless as the only responses I''ve been getting are automated emails.

They take 3-4 days after the automated email to reply. If you are waiting that long, there is going to be an issue with the paperwork that was submitted. Best to ring them and ask not to be fobbed off. Ask for a supervisor if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 toplinestreamli

Your mistaken.

The code you are talking about in the licence is 991 and 101. As stated previously, 991 is the number of the learner permit you hold, 101 denotes that a renewal is subject to a medical review/valid medical report, it's the same on all heavy goods vehicles. There is no such thing as a code on the learner permit that states you must wait 6 months to sit your test. All these codes are explained on the letter which your licence was attached to when you received it.

The code you are talking about in the licence is 991 and 101. As stated previously, 991 is the number of the learner permit you hold, 101 denotes that a renewal is subject to a medical review/valid medical report, it's the same on all heavy goods vehicles. There is no such thing as a code on the learner permit that states you must wait 6 months to sit your test. All these codes are explained on the letter which your licence was attached to when you received it.

again wrong.

i said already theres 3 codes on the licence .

all three are on it when one shouldn't be for waiting 6 months. now i've since ignored it since its a void code because a law doesn't exist for it but its very off putting !

again wrong.

i said already theres 3 codes on the licence .

all three are on it when one shouldn't be for waiting 6 months. now i've since ignored it since its a void code because a law doesn't exist for it but its very off putting !

I didn't see the codes you had put up earlier as I only seen the end of the thread. As I said before, there is no code that means you must wait 6 months to sit your test. The code 999 means that if you are driving, you must be accompanied by a qualified driver. All learner drivers by law must be accompanied by a qualified driver, regardless of the category or how long they hold the permit for. The only exemption on this is in category A which is motorcycle and category W, works vehicles. Only learner drivers on their first learner permit for category B need to wait 6 months and complete 12 mandatory lessons before taking their test, so all 3 codes on your licence are indeed meant to be on it. If you ask any driving instructor, they will tell you the same.

• Advertisement

I didn't see the codes you had put up earlier as I only seen the end of the thread. As I said before, there is no code that means you must wait 6 months to sit your test. The code 999 means that if you are driving, you must be accompanied by a qualified driver. All learner drivers by law must be accompanied by a qualified driver, regardless of the category or how long they hold the permit for. The only exemption on this is in category A which is motorcycle and category W, works vehicles. Only learner drivers on their first learner permit for category B need to wait 6 months and complete 12 mandatory lessons before taking their test, so all 3 codes on your licence are indeed meant to be on it. If you ask any driving instructor, they will tell you the same.

It's a D licence ted..... and I've asked a few driving instructors and the rsa themselves and they did say its a cock up and shouldn't be there.

It's a D licence ted..... and I've asked a few driving instructors and the rsa themselves and they did say its a cock up and shouldn't be there.

I appreciate it's a D licence, and as for the instructers you have spoken to, stay away from them because they are obviously talking through their h##e. I am a driving instructor for the past 18 years, ADI approved and ROSPA Gold Award holder in all licence categories. I am also an ex RSA tester, so I know exactly the requirements and codes which are meant to be on the licence. The 999 code is definitive, irrespective of category, bar the A and W as previously stated, ALL LEARNER DRIVERS with a Learner Permit in any category MUST be accompanied by a qualified driver, who holds a full licence in the respective category for more than 2 years. It does not mean that you have to wait to do the test, I know what the call centre is like, and I will guarantee if you ring up tomorrow and ask what the code 999 means on the licence, if you are talking to a different call handler, this is what you will be told. It is all explained on the RSA website.

I appreciate it's a D licence, and as for the instructers you have spoken to, stay away from them because they are obviously talking through their h##e. I am a driving instructor for the past 18 years, ADI approved and ROSPA Gold Award holder in all licence categories. I am also an ex RSA tester, so I know exactly the requirements and codes which are meant to be on the licence. The 999 code is definitive, irrespective of category, bar the A and W as previously stated, ALL LEARNER DRIVERS with a Learner Permit in any category MUST be accompanied by a qualified driver, who holds a full licence in the respective category for more than 2 years. It does not mean that you have to wait to do the test, I know what the call centre is like, and I will guarantee if you ring up tomorrow and ask what the code 999 means on the licence, if you are talking to a different call handler, this is what you will be told. It is all explained on the RSA website.

im not debating being accompanied by a driver...

and right so the driving instructors, NDLS and RSA are all wrong ?

so....

991 Holders of Learner Permits must wait for 6
    months before taking the driving test

thats the one im arguing as it doesn't apply to the category im in !

not the fecking 999 code for having a fully licenced driver accompany me !

so....

Right, I'm going to try and clear this up for you.

1. As explained before, the 991 notation is on the licence, because it is your first learner permit in category D/D1. Just as your next one would have 992, and 993 for your third. This notation MUST appear to indicate the number of Learner Permits held in the category, so the NDLS were correct in putting this 991 notation on your licence.

2. Please take the time to look up the RSA website, and go to the section 'The Driving Test'
    In this, you will see the following,

To do the test, you must have held a valid Learner Permit for at least 6 months on the day of the test for "CARS, MOTORCYCLISTS AND WORKS VEHICLES" (in the case of a first time learner permit, the code 991 will be printed under the restrictions/information section on your Learner Permit opposite the vehicle category)

Please note the words Cars, motorcyclists and works vehicles, these are the only categories who must have held a Learner Permit for at least 6 months before taking the test. You do not need to wait the 6 months to do the test as it is in category D/D1.

So, from the information on the RSA website itself, YES the RSA were wrong in the information they gave you on the phone, and YES the driving instructors are also wrong. As I mentioned earlier, if you ring the RSA line tomorrow, and ask, you will be told the same. If you still think I am incorrect, bypass the driving instructors, and go to your local driving test centre, and ask the Driver Tester in person.

If you do look the RSA website, you will see for yourself that the information you were given was incorrect.

Right, I'm going to try and clear this up for you.

1. As explained before, the 991 notation is on the licence, because it is your first learner permit in category D/D1. Just as your next one would have 992, and 993 for your third. This notation MUST appear to indicate the number of Learner Permits held in the category, so the NDLS were correct in putting this 991 notation on your licence.

2. Please take the time to look up the RSA website, and go to the section 'The Driving Test'
    In this, you will see the following,

To do the test, you must have held a valid Learner Permit for at least 6 months on the day of the test for "CARS, MOTORCYCLISTS AND WORKS VEHICLES" (in the case of a first time learner permit, the code 991 will be printed under the restrictions/information section on your Learner Permit opposite the vehicle category)

Please note the words Cars, motorcyclists and works vehicles, these are the only categories who must have held a Learner Permit for at least 6 months before taking the test. You do not need to wait the 6 months to do the test as it is in category D/D1.

So, from the information on the RSA website itself, YES the RSA were wrong in the information they gave you on the phone, and YES the driving instructors are also wrong. As I mentioned earlier, if you ring the RSA line tomorrow, and ask, you will be told the same. If you still think I am incorrect, bypass the driving instructors, and go to your local driving test centre, and ask the Driver Tester in person.

If you do look the RSA website, you will see for yourself that the information you were given was incorrect.

The person i spoke to in the RSA didn't confirm it for me straight away... the person went off and confirmed with with a colleague and supervisor and rang me back with the information. - so thats 3 people in the RSA that are wrong ,

The NDLS Have offered for me to go to a NDLS shop and get a FREE licence with the restriction taking off it so that only the two show up on it. why are they offering me that if they're right ?

I could go to NDLS tomorrow and get a free replacement without the code on it but my test is soon so im not bothered.

The person i spoke to in the RSA didn't confirm it for me straight away... the person went off and confirmed with with a colleague and supervisor and rang me back with the information. - so thats 3 people in the RSA that are wrong ,

The NDLS Have offered for me to go to a NDLS shop and get a FREE licence with the restriction taking off it so that only the two show up on it. why are they offering me that if they're right ?

I could go to NDLS tomorrow and get a free replacement without the code on it but my test is soon so im not bothered.

Listen, I'm not even going to bother trying to explain anything else. Go to the NDLS office and see what they say, even if it's just to prove me wrong, you don't have to replace your licence, you'll get the same answer. I'm removing myself from this thread. Good luck in your test.

Listen, I'm not even going to bother trying to explain anything else. Go to the NDLS office and see what they say, even if it's just to prove me wrong, you don't have to replace your licence, you'll get the same answer. I'm removing myself from this thread. Good luck in your test.

Before I go, I'll tell you what. Go into the NDLS office and get your replacement licence, it will only take about a week to get it back. When you get it back, send me a message on Boards, and I will give you my phone number and send me a picture of the licence with the 991 notation removed from it. If it is off it, and I am wrong, I will send you €120 to cover the price of the test.

I can guarantee that the notation will still be on it. I think the number you called was the 0798 number. This is a NDLS call centre, but it is a massive call centre in Cork who also take calls for Bord Gáis, Úisce Eireann along with a number of other companies. They take calls for the RSA, but are not unknown for giving out incorrect information. Ring the RSA directly on 1850 40 60 40, and ask again. What have you got to loose, but you could gain €120.....

Before I go, I'll tell you what. Go into the NDLS office and get your replacement licence, it will only take about a week to get it back. When you get it back, send me a message on Boards, and I will give you my phone number and send me a picture of the licence with the 991 notation removed from it. If it is off it, and I am wrong, I will send you €120 to cover the price of the test.

I can guarantee that the notation will still be on it. I think the number you called was the 0798 number. This is a NDLS call centre, but it is a massive call centre in Cork who also take calls for Bord Gáis, Úisce Eireann along with a number of other companies. They take calls for the RSA, but are not unknown for giving out incorrect information. Ring the RSA directly on 1850 40 60 40, and ask again. What have you got to loose, but you could gain €120.....

I would love to take that offer.... the number for the rsa i was using was that number and also their local number (096....)

i know the lads in NDLS are not great, just agency workers i imagine but either way my test is too close to go get another licence . although the 120 would be nice !

Your mistaken.

I think this post is where the waters were muddied, Koppaberg. You yourself stated that there was a seperate code for the 6 month rule. If you have a look at the screenshot of notations that I've attached, you will see that there is no notation that applies purely to the 6 month rule, the 991,992,993 codes indicate the issue number of the permit, and if the 991 is applied to group 1 vehicles(A1, A2, A, W and B) then that driver is obliged to wait 6 months before applying for their test.

These notations are automatically printed on your licence, from what you've said about the notations it all seems correct. My guess is they've told you that they would give you a replacement free of charge to to placate you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

so....

You ain't getting that €120 for free, because you're flat out wrong. Pay very close attention to the wording.

tbFJJIE.jpg

CSmUZnc.jpg

See that?
    991 - Holders of learner permits in categories A1, A, M, W, B and EB must wait 6 months before taking a driving test.

It's probably printed on every learner permit - doesn't mean it applies to every permit. It's not incorrect being on the license, it's your misinterpretation that's causing a problem.

Now that that's settled. :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement