Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NDLS - National Driver Licence Service centres (Qs, waiting times, etc)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Sorry, but Driving Instructors ARE a useful service. How can you say that teaching a life skill -i.e handling at least a ton of steel which has the capacity to kill or maim safely is NOT useful??

It beggars belief some of the attitudes to learning to drive I've seen on here. If you're moaning about the cost, then you can't afford to drive. Driving is a privilege and NOT a right as some people seem to think.

A lot of people in this country assume that when you have successfully competed your 12 driving lessons and passed your test that you're fit for the road. Even including the government.

WRONG - driving is a lifelong skill which takes time and differs from person to person. How is 12 lessons and passing some test which depends on a lot of luck the key to 'being an experienced driver?'

And I have no problem paying for a professional service which has rewards. However, a relative of mine is an approved instructor in the UK and his parting words on this conversation was 'there's a lot of cowboys in the trade' and that was in reference to instructors here in Ireland, which I, myself had the utmost pleasure in experiencing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

d1234 wrote: »
    A lot of people in this country assume that when you have successfully competed your 12 driving lessons and passed your test that you're fit for the road. Even including the government.

WRONG - driving is a lifelong skill which takes time and differs from person to person. How is 12 lessons and passing some test which depends on a lot of luck the key to 'being an experienced driver?'

And I have no problem paying for a professional service which has rewards. However, a relative of mine is an approved instructor in the UK and his parting words on this conversation was 'there's a lot of cowboys in the trade' and that was in reference to instructors here in Ireland, which I, myself had the utmost pleasure in experiencing.

So what? There are cowboys EVERYWHERE!! Not just the driving instructor game. What's wrong with doing your research and checking credentials?
    That's what I did when I learnt to drive in London. The cheapest isn't always the best...

Do your research, check credentials, pay for lessons with a suitable instructor, practice and pass your test. It's not rocket science.

I've taken this O/T enough, so I'll leave it there...

So what? There are cowboys EVERYWHERE!! Not just the driving instructor game. What's wrong with doing your research and checking credentials?
    That's what I did when I learnt to drive in London. The cheapest isn't always the best...

Do your research, check credentials, pay for lessons with a suitable instructor, practice and pass your test. It's not rocket science.

I've taken this O/T enough, so I'll leave it there...

So what? - so when you pay 40 euro per lesson and receive terrible tuition is it acceptable? And when you read online recommendations that are positive - in fact that instructor had a 90% pass rate is that not convincing enough? But that again is misleading - doesn't actually say first or second.. time round - which they don't actually have to tell you.

I do on the other hand appreciate that there are some good instructors out there, but from my experience and many others, the bad overtakes the good. But what I'm more interested in hearing from and what is more so my point is - 'why does one have to do 12 lessons?' It's a money spinner - especially when some instructors wont sign off on them - sorry - can smell more cash coming their way... My father is a very experienced and safe driver who has been driving since his late teens and why can't he teach me how to drive and sign off my log book? There are many others in a similar position and the government see this as a good little employment tactic. On average, it would cost around 420 euro to get a person through driving lessons. And secondly - how did people survive when they didn't have to take lessons a few years back - answer - as good as the people taking them presently.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ShawB

applied for my new driving licence on the 26th of November ... still waiting. Cheers NDLS for your 'teething' problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Fathers licence arrived yesterday - or the day before - can't remember.

Still its here at last

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Heard leo varadkar on the readio today saying any new applications will be done within 8 days and the backlog will be resolved by mid feb.

He's a politician so it must be true!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Applied today for provisional. They said six weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Applied on the 7th of December, arrived Wednesday the 15th - they look quite good, nice having it in the wallet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

advertsfox wrote: »
    Applied on the 7th of December, arrived Wednesday the 15th - they look quite good, nice having it in the wallet.

Was that Wednesday the 15th of January or December?

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

I went in at the start of Dec and got mine yesterday so basically had about 6-7 week wait. Had no queue at the place at all but took ages to get the card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

restive wrote: »
    Was that Wednesday the 15th of January or December?
    Ah this week mate.

Put my application in for a bike learner permit on 7th Jan. rang yesterday and they said my application is in the end stages. So I assume I should have it on about 5 weeks based in some of the posts here :(

Should have just left the tax office doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭irishrver

Got mine back yesterday after a 47 day wait. In that time I needed it for 2 roadside stops and a doe test and I put off a trip to the UK to save a lot of problems of driving there without a licence, hope the system is fixed when it is time for renewal in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

sorry if already covered but when you try book a slot in "4 easy steps" and it says "no slots available" for all the test centres near you what do you have to do? Do I just keep checking everyday for a slot (surely not!!)? There does not seem to be a way to look beyond 14 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

BailMeOut wrote: »
    sorry if already covered but when you try book a slot in "4 easy steps" and it says "no slots available" for all the test centres near you what do you have to do? Do I just keep checking everyday for a slot (surely not!!)? There does not seem to be a way to look beyond 14 days?

What slot are you looking to book and where?
    Would you not just go up? I walked into city west at 16:45 and was out by 17:10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Shane Fitz wrote: »
    What slot are you looking to book and where?
    Would you not just go up? I walked into city west at 16:45 and was out by 17:10

City West a long way from where I live! The rest of the country has no slots.

putu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

Yeah only one center has booking available atm as far as I know. All the others you just walk in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

irishrver wrote: »
    Got mine back yesterday after a 47 day wait. In that time I needed it for 2 roadside stops and a doe test and I put off a trip to the UK to save a lot of problems of driving there without a licence, hope the system is fixed when it is time for renewal in 2020.

What did they say to you when you were stopped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭irishrver

The guards were fine asked why my licence was taken and said hope the system gets sorted soon the other asked to see the receipt for the licence which I had on me, the doe test centre took my licence number from the receipt and they were happy with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

advertsfox wrote: »

Applying your timeframe to my situation I should have mine the end of next week so. Hopefully!

• Advertisement

Much the same in Galway.

I went in around the 27th of December thinking it would be quiet enough, was actually a decent wait(they had no queuing system which in itself was a farce. ''Im after her, and you're after me'' crap with the people sitting down) on the day.
    Nearly a month now without it, not a massive problem in one respect but I'd like to be able to get my insurance down and possibly drive other cars(I'm blocked in the drive by a relation EVERY day and often chance his car to go the 1km to the shop :mad:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Much the same in Galway.

I went in around the 27th of December thinking it would be quiet enough, was actually a decent wait(they had no queuing system which in itself was a farce. ''Im after her, and you're after me'' crap with the people sitting down) on the day.
    Nearly a month now without it, not a massive problem in one respect but I'd like to be able to get my insurance down and possibly drive other cars(I'm blocked in the drive by a relation EVERY day and often chance his car to go the 1km to the shop :mad:)

Ya bould yoke

78 days today! Absolute joke.

11 weeks without a licence. They lost my proof of address, after they told me my licence was being processed. My original application wasn't signed (partially my own fault but I thought it had to be signed in front of the NDLS rep. She took it and didn't say a word.) They told me they would send my original application form to me in the post to sign but I never got it. I posted them a new application form. Still no licence.

I have emailed and never got a response. Phone calls always end up down the same route, "being processed".

I have emailed the RSA and the Department of Transport to highlight the NDLS failures.

My main worry is being stopped by the Gardai, plus the worry of my insurance being invalid.

I am completely out of options at this stage. If Leo Varadkar had any sense he would terminate their contract. I don't know how he can continue to let the NDLS operate in such a manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

I hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Applied for mine on the 16th of December in the Wicklow Town office

Arrived in todays post. Quick enough turnaround considering christmas holidays etc

ian_m wrote: »
    11 weeks without a licence. They lost my proof of address, after they told me my licence was being processed. My original application wasn't signed (partially my own fault but I thought it had to be signed in front of the NDLS rep. She took it and didn't say a word.) They told me they would send my original application form to me in the post to sign but I never got it. I posted them a new application form. Still no licence.

I have emailed and never got a response. Phone calls always end up down the same route, "being processed".

I have emailed the RSA and the Department of Transport to highlight the NDLS failures.

My main worry is being stopped by the Gardai, plus the worry of my insurance being invalid.

I am completely out of options at this stage. If Leo Varadkar had any sense he would terminate their contract. I don't know how he can continue to let the NDLS them operate in such a manner.

I'm pretty much in the same boat only I'm first time round provisional. What happened to me was the staff in the centre didn't take my eyesight report - they never even asked for it and I knew I needed one as it said it on their site, my GP said that and of course the optician. Anyways, I called them on Jan 3rd to see what happened and then they told me - 8 weeks after I applied! The lady on the phone said I needed a new one - asked to speak to management - there was none, asked to leave my details and a manager call me - couldn't do that and asked when they were available - didn't know. I was that mad that I called back 30 mins later and was speaking to someone else who said it was fine even though it was out of date. Got a letter on the 10th of Jan saying I needed a new report! I'm apparently a priority case and it should take 2 weeks, even longer than 8 days than Leo Varadkar said.

I sent Leo Varadkar a letter this morning outlining that and all my other problems (too many to list) with the whole NDLS. I also want 35 euro compensation for the second eyetest and I'm considering going to the Small Claims Court if I don't get it refunded as it clearly wasn't my fault. Rant over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

d1234 wrote: »
    I'm pretty much in the same boat only I'm first time round provisional. What happened to me was the staff in the centre didn't take my eyesight report - they never even asked for it and I knew I needed one as it said it on their site, my GP said that and of course the optician. Anyways, I called them on Jan 3rd to see what happened and then they told me - 8 weeks after I applied! The lady on the phone said I needed a new one - asked to speak to management - there was none, asked to leave my details and a manager call me - couldn't do that and asked when they were available - didn't know. I was that mad that I called back 30 mins later and was speaking to someone else who said it was fine even though it was out of date. Got a letter on the 10th of Jan saying I needed a new report! I'm apparently a priority case and it should take 2 weeks, even longer than 8 days than Leo Varadkar said.

I sent Leo Varadkar a letter this morning outlining that and all my other problems (too many to list) with the whole NDLS. I also want 35 euro compensation for the second eye test and I'm considering going to the Small Claims Court if I don't get it refunded as it clearly wasn't my fault. Rant over!

Good on you I fully support you going to small claims court not enough people do this they just say ah it's not worth it and they cower down to these bullies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

The postman came before I left for work this morning and in the post was my new driving licence. Applied the 16th Dec so take away christmas hols and it wasn't too long a wait but too long at the same time.

Must say it is a lot better than that embarrassment of a paper licence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement