Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'd tell them to stay at home :eek:. Honestly, I might provide for one intolerance, but that's just crazy. I presume it's a dietary choice rather than health issues?

Really, if I was that person, I wouldn't DREAM of asking someone to cater for me. If I was invited to dinner, I'd bring my own food considering those insane restrictions.

/edit: The 'no sugar' thing is what makes me assume it's a choice. If it's a general health issue, then butternut squash, melons and berries have quite a high sugar content.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

OMG as any of you who frequent the Christmas forum will know (not too many I'd say!) I absolutely ADORE Christmas! The food is probably the highlight for me cos I love food and I love Christmas so it's a perfect combination.

Can't wait for the traditional Turkey and Ham dinner that my mum does - just sublime :D

I'm absolutely starving now!

Btw dipdip just read your post and WTF?! That's ridiculous that anyone would expect someone else to cater for them with that many no no's as regards what they can eat! :-O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

dipdip, the only thing I'd be concerned about is what they mean by no acids... the tomatoes and berries would be quite acidic...

They can't have citrus fruits or vinegars. Tomatoes and berries are fine.
    Faith wrote: »
    I'd tell them to stay at home :eek:. Honestly, I might provide for one intolerance, but that's just crazy. I presume it's a dietary choice rather than health issues?

Really, if I was that person, I wouldn't DREAM of asking someone to cater for me. If I was invited to dinner, I'd bring my own food considering those insane restrictions.

/edit: The 'no sugar' thing is what makes me assume it's a choice. If it's a general health issue, then butternut squash, melons and berries have quite a high sugar content.

Heh. As far as I am aware it is a combination of inflammatory disease (crohns and colitis) and coeliac disease. That wouldn't usually be affected by naturally occurring sugars, just refined sugars. I don't mind catering for her, it's not difficult to cook unadulterated food. It's just difficult to make it appetising and tasty! That's what I was looking for help on.

leahyl wrote: »
    Btw dipdip just read your post and WTF?! That's ridiculous that anyone would expect someone else to cater for them with that many no no's as regards what they can eat! :-O

Well I did invite her. I'm hardly going to say screw you! :pac: Yiz are a very intolerant group it seems (if you'll pardon the pun).

has anyone got a really nice recipe for goats cheese tartlets and onion marmalade. got them in jj o'malleys and it was fab. had some since and just not as nice.

• Advertisement

dipdip wrote: »
    Heh. As far as I am aware it is a combination of inflammatory disease (crohns and colitis) and coeliac disease. That wouldn't usually be affected by naturally occurring sugars, just refined sugars. I don't mind catering for her, it's not difficult to cook unadulterated food. It's just difficult to make it appetising and tasty! That's what I was looking for help on.

Well, it's fair enough if it's serious health issues. I'd make the effort in that case. I think your proposed menu sounds lovely. You could also do something like a roast chicken (bit of a roast dinner with gluten free gravy - which, apparently, Bisto Best is if you're stuck). Or any white fish with roasted tomatoes is lovely.

Well, it's fair enough if it's serious health issues. I'd make the effort in that case. I think your proposed menu sounds lovely. You could also do something like a roast chicken (bit of a roast dinner with gluten free gravy - which, apparently, Bisto Best is if you're stuck). Or any white fish with roasted tomatoes is lovely.

Heh...her coeliac disease is so sensitive she has trouble with eating meat fed on grain diets. I thought of a roast chicken dinner myself but was worried about its diet! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

The Hill Billy's recipe for Salmon in a Bag sounds ideal for your guests, dipdip. Maybe omit the lemon. Add veg like cherry tomatoes on the vine, or asparagus.

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    The Hill Billy's recipe for Salmon in a Bag sounds ideal for your guests, dipdip. Maybe omit the lemon. Add veg like cherry tomatoes on the vine, or asparagus.

Nice tip, Mrs. Fox. Sadly I'd have to omit the lemon and the butter, but it could still work. Perhaps I could make some lemon butter to be drizzled over the others' meals after cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Thanks for remembering that one Mrs Fox. Schucks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Can't wait for Christmas myself, frickin' love it. I've been threatening a goose for a few years now but I may give it a go in November instead, if I can get one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Can't wait for Christmas myself, frickin' love it. I've been threatening a goose for a few years now but I may give it a go in November instead, if I can get one...

I did it last year - did the gordan ramsey recipe. To be honest I wasnt overly impressed by it. Much preferred the 4 rib of beef I did the year before

Goose is fabulous and feels really indulgent - the only thing to be aware of is that it yields a lot less meat than you'd expect, due to the really high fat content. On the upside you're left with several jars of yummy goosefat for copious amounts of spuds. :)

foodaholic wrote: »
    I did it last year - did the gordan ramsey recipe. To be honest I wasnt overly impressed by it. Much preferred the 4 rib of beef I did the year before

Was it his recipe from GoodFood Christmas 2005? If it was then I tried it out too, back in Christmas 2005 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Well I did invite her. I'm hardly going to say screw you! :pac: Yiz are a very intolerant group it seems (if you'll pardon the pun).

Well, fair enough but maybe you could ask her what you could make for her?! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Heh...her coeliac disease is so sensitive she has trouble with eating meat fed on grain diets. I thought of a roast chicken dinner myself but was worried about its diet! :o

Impossible that grain fed beef would pass on gluten. The proteins don't pass whole into the meat. The digestive process breaks down the proteins into amino acids that are used by the body. Those amino acids are not different due to the origin of that protein.

Thats not to say that your friend doesn't perceive a difference, but it wouldn't have any basis in science. I will grant you that there is a huge range of anecdotal evidence on coeliac forums, but that also doesn't change the way the science works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Was it his recipe from GoodFood Christmas 2005? If it was then I tried it out too, back in Christmas 2005 :D

It was this one http://youtu.be/88MHrk0qA1c
    It was nice but I've had roast duck that was just as nice

foodaholic wrote: »
    It was this one http://youtu.be/88MHrk0qA1c
    It was nice but I've had roast duck that was just as nice

Yeah it's the same recipe. I thought it was alright.
    Last year we did goose again but also served pan fried duck breasts knowing that the goose would only yield so much meat.

I *think* I'm on the verge of getting a job. I don't think it will be particularly well paid or even full time, but it's in my field and I'll love it. I'm already trying to decide what food I'll celebrate with :D. I'm bizarrely torn between chicken wings and beer, or a trip to Fishy Fishy in Kinsale :D

Well I served baked salmon, with roasted tomatoes and roast squash, all just seasoned with olive oil and sea salt. The starch component was slices of skin-on spuds par-boiled and roasted with a head of garlic. The salad was mixed leaves and sliced avocado. On the side I served a home-made lime mayonnaise, a dressing made from olive oil, fig vinegar, honey and wholegrain mustard and a bottle of good quality balsamic vinegar (for the tomatoes - I can't eat roast tomatoes without balsamic vinegar!). Dessert was a salad of honeydew melon, raspberries, blackberries and strawberries. I had a jug of organic double cream on the side.

I was concerned it would be a very plain meal but on the contrary it was enormously colourful, fresh and delicious.

Her sensitivity to such a wide range of foods was actually a pretty positive cooking experience for me. She talked to me about some of her health issues and tbh I don't blame her for being so careful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I *think* I'm on the verge of getting a job. I don't think it will be particularly well paid or even full time, but it's in my field and I'll love it. I'm already trying to decide what food I'll celebrate with :D

Fingers crossed for you, really hope you get it! :)

I *think* I'm on the verge of getting a job. I don't think it will be particularly well paid or even full time, but it's in my field and I'll love it. I'm already trying to decide what food I'll celebrate with :D. I'm bizarrely torn between chicken wings and beer, or a trip to Fishy Fishy in Kinsale :D

Chicken wings and beer on Saturday.
    Fishy Fishy for Sunday brunch.
    Now how's that for a celebration? Congratulations by the way :)

Chicken wings and beer on Saturday.
    Fishy Fishy for Sunday brunch.
    Now how's that for a celebration? Congratulations by the way :)

Well, I'd call that downright sensible :D.

Thanks folks :). We'll see what happens anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Congrats Faith! Go to Fishy Fishy and post me a load of the sauce the crab claws come in please. And a crab crumble and a Fishy Fishy wine glass because I wish I'd stolen one the last time I was there.

Congrats Faith! Go to Fishy Fishy and post me a load of the sauce the crab claws come in please. And a crab crumble and a Fishy Fishy wine glass because I wish I'd stolen one the last time I was there.

That sauce is incredible, isn't it? On nom nom. No idea what a crab crumble is but I'll try to nab you a glass :D.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Congratulations Faith! Mrs Fox is right - you should have a foodie weekend in celebration :)

dipdip that meal sounds delicious, I bet your guest loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

That sauce is incredible, isn't it? On nom nom.

It's just so good. I did the normally unthinkable there and (for absolute shame) licked the bowl!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

It's just so good. I did the normally unthinkable there and (for absolute shame) licked the bowl!

Same (although I used my fingers!!)
    Not one drop of sauce was left..
    Best restaurant in Cork imo.

I nearly did! I used my fingers to clean the little hummous portion with the bread :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Why is good custard so hard to make?!

*throws arms up in frustration*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement