Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    I'd love to make ravioli with my own filling but I've never attempted fresh pasta, so I was thinking what if I use fresh lasagna sheets.
    Would this work?

I would imagine they would be too thick for a delicate dish like ravioli. I could e wrong though!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Yeah, they'd be too thick. You could theoretically roll them out, I don't know how well it would work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd love to make ravioli with my own filling but I've never attempted fresh pasta, so I was thinking what if I use fresh lasagna sheets.
    Would this work?

I tried this.
    Didn't work.
    Too thick and wouldn't stick at all.
    Disaster.

Try the won ton wrappers. They work a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Heading to the English Market tomorrow morning and stocking up on all sorts of seafood for tomorrow night. So far thinking mussels, prawns and a big lump of cod/monkfish. Might "push the boat out":pac: and get a lobster for the pair of us. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

I tried this.
    Didn't work.
    Too thick and wouldn't stick at all.
    Disaster.

Try the won ton wrappers. They work a treat.

Another vote for not using the fresh lasagne - I tried, I failed miserably and threw my chopping board at the wall in a rage. Going again this weekend (beef cheek ravioli from the Babbo cookbook) and will be using the won ton wrappers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

emaleth wrote: »
    Another vote for not using the fresh lasagne - I tried, I failed miserably and threw my chopping board at the wall in a rage. Going again this weekend (beef cheek ravioli from the Babbo cookbook) and will be using the won ton wrappers.

Yes, it does induce a lot of effing and blinding especially when you've invited your parents around for lunch and have to come up with a plan B.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

My eldest lad who is 11yo told me last weekend that he wants to start cooking himself. So tomorrow, all going well, we shall make piroshki (small Russian pasties) for dinner.

He'll get to prepare & fry easy veg like mushrooms & onions, make mashed spud, prepare the dough, build the pasties & especially clean up afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

I'm a bit above 11, but they sound lovely - any chance you'd stick the recipe into the random recipes thread? Or here if it's short!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

My eldest lad who is 11yo told me last weekend that he wants to start cooking himself. So tomorrow, all going well, we shall make piroshki (small Russian pasties) for dinner.

That's one serious plus point I can see for having kids. When they get to an age that they want to cook you can trick them into being your personal chef and they'll be over the moon to cater for you :)

Had such a 'waaaaaah' moment earlier today when I got lunch somewhere that's only recently opened and I really wanted to like because it seems to be run by earnest, lovely people but they completely undercooked my brisket to the point that people in work saw me choke on and then extract with fingers a chunk of shoe leather/meat. Not a good look for me digging food out of my mouth in the office. Hope they get their act together because everything else on the sandwich down to the surprise crispy onions & soft poppy seed roll was great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

That's one serious plus point I can see for having kids. When they get to an age that they want to cook you can trick them into being your personal chef and they'll be over the moon to cater for you :)

I wanted to cook since I was about 7 but the only job I was given by my mother was peeling shallots and garlic, and later upgraded to pounding them with mortar and pestle, til I was 15. I was only allowed to watch her cook.
    To cook by myself I had to secretly do it behind her back under my gran's supervision - she was a lot more laid-back. Cooked my first scrambled egg at 8. Thanks gran :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

My daughters learned to cook by being in the kitchen with me and trying things themselves. I think the first thing they both mastered was basil and tomato pasta sauce.

We had a couple of breakfast in bed 'surprises' complete with undercooked boiled eggs and milky tea when they were young :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I wanted to cook since I was about 7 but the only job I was given by my mother was peeling shallots and garlic, and later upgraded to pounding them with mortar and pestle, til I was 15. I was only allowed to watch her cook.
    To cook by myself I had to secretly do it behind her back under my gran's supervision - she was a lot more laid-back. Cooked my first scrambled egg at 8. Thanks gran :)

My mam hated any of us cooking, always thought she was such a wicked witch about it but it was mainly because we shredded the kitchen making fishfingers & peas and then left all the cleaning to her. Good times, good times.

I've been cooking since the word go, I think. I've definitely been baking since I was extremely young - like 5, if not younger helping out. Cooking started pretty early too. I definitely got used as a chef a few times but I never minded too much. Honestly, my mum over seasons food so it was a bonus when I cooked because I could control the flavour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I started cooking family dinners at around 10 or 11. My main motivation was that I loved spicy, flavoursome food and my mother only cooked the plainest of the plain! She was more than happy to let me put on a portion of curry etc as long as I put on the rest of the stuff too. My dad was also thrilled at the sudden appearance of such hitherto unknown delicacies like spaghetti bolognese :pac:

This is probably the reason I have no patience for adults who 'can't cook'. It's not rocket science, all it takes is reading a few recipes and a tiny bit of effort.

Well, today turned out to be a bit too hectic to do the piroshki with HB Jr I.

Instead we made a banana & walnut loaf. It has just come out of the oven & the smell is amazing. He is really chuffed by the smell alone.

Can't wait to sample it later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

My Mother hates cooking, and my Dad is something of "a plain cooking is best" guy (he makes v. good brown soda bread though). I fecking love savory cooking, and have done for as long as I can remember. I find sweet/dessert making a bit dull and repetitive.

What I'm really happy about is that my younger brother has become quite the adventurous cook and I think I did have something to do with that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Dolbert wrote: »
    This is probably the reason I have no patience for adults who 'can't cook'.

IME, "can't cook" usually means "don't like to cook". Which is fair enough, if you don't enjoy it, you don't enjoy it! If you can cook one or two healthy things for yourself, that'll do, pig, that'll do.

Well, today turned out to be a bit too hectic to do the piroshki with HB Jr I.

Instead we made a banana & walnut loaf. It has just come out of the oven & the smell is amazing. He is really chuffed by the smell alone.

Can't wait to sample it later!

The bread was delicious. A little bit sweet & a bit underdone. I think that the mix was a bit too wet (long story :().

Lessons were learned regarding preciseness of measurements, order in which to do things, cleaning up, etc. But the best thing was the sense of achievement in producing something so damn tasty.

Happy Lad = Happy Dad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Sorry Bisto, but never again!

Made "real" gravy for the first time last night and it was so good I can still taste it. I cooked a roast beef in the slow cooker with a small glass of beef stock. This stock plus the juices from the beef itself became the stock for the gravy. I made a quick roux and then popped it into the stock and simmered for a few mins. It was so yummy. Might try popping a clove of garlic into the stock the next time for a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Okay, please don't hate me, I know it's only the middle of October.

...but I can't WAIT for Christmas.

We've never hosted a 'traditional Irish' Christmas here in Australia - too hot, too difficult, too [insert other excuse here]. This year we're going mad. The tree's going up on 8th December and all.

My Christmas puddings are made. Jars of mincemeat are done. Every weekend I try some other sweet or otherwise marvellous creation (and then take it to work and feed my workmates on Monday morning.) I have absolutely no idea why I've gone so bananas about it this year, but I have.

Now, stand back, I'm about to test out my light-shooting hand-cannon for decorating my whole house with multicoloured string lights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

and what are you doing by way of traditional savoury dishes?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If you say you've also got all your Christmas shopping done then I will shoot you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

If you say you've also got all your Christmas shopping done then I will shoot you ;)

Sure its only 71 days until christmas!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Meant to give our fellow poster a shout out on the other thread, but it's more appropriate here I guess -- Congratulations homemadecider on your engagement!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Faith wrote: »
    I've been cooking since the word go, I think. I've definitely been baking since I was extremely young - like 5, if not younger helping out. Cooking started pretty early too. I definitely got used as a chef a few times but I never minded too much. Honestly, my mum over seasons food so it was a bonus when I cooked because I could control the flavour!

My earliest cooking memory is of an apple and blackberry pie. My mother, sister and I filled our lunchboxes with blackberries on the way home from school.

My mam helped me mix up the pastry for the pie. She then had to pop in to our neighbour and left me to knead the dough. She got to gabbing and came back to find me still kneading the dough an hour later. I think she ended up mixing a fresh batch of pastry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Minder wrote: »
    and what are you doing by way of traditional savoury dishes?

Dunno yet. Definitely not turkey. Possibly a ham if I can get a good one. Otherwise it'll be roast something else, or seafood.

Oh god no, nowhere close!

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    Sure its only 71 days until christmas!! :D

Mr Simpson banned for 72 days.

tHB
    :p

Okay, please don't hate me, I know it's only the middle of October.

...but I can't WAIT for Christmas.

We've never hosted a 'traditional Irish' Christmas here in Australia - too hot, too difficult, too [insert other excuse here]. This year we're going mad. The tree's going up on 8th December and all.

My Christmas puddings are made. Jars of mincemeat are done. Every weekend I try some other sweet or otherwise marvellous creation (and then take it to work and feed my workmates on Monday morning.) I have absolutely no idea why I've gone so bananas about it this year, but I have.

Now, stand back, I'm about to test out my light-shooting hand-cannon for decorating my whole house with multicoloured string lights.

I was a bit like that last year. I normally don't care for Christmas, but it was my first Christmas not working in retail and first one living with the OH so I got super excited about it.

I'm looking forward to this year's Christmas, but we're in a bit of a financial black hole at the moment so preparations have to wait until we're out of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

I've become used to cooking for people with unusual dietary needs over the years as my old house-mate had coeliac disease and lactose intolerance. However I have a guest tomorrow with a list of can'ts and don'ts as long as my arm...
    1. No red meat
    2. No dairy or cheeses/milks of any kind from an animal
    3. No gluten
    4. No acids
    5. No chilli
    6. No sugar
    7. No preservatives of any kind

I'm pretty stumped. Here is what I am proposing:

Baked salmon
    Roasted tomatoes
    Roasted butternut squash
    Roast potatoes with garlic
    Green leaf salad with avocado
    Fresh melon and berries

The seasonings are sea salt, black pepper, olive oil, fresh garlic and fresh parsley.

I'll have some dressings on the side for those of us who can indulge in balsamic vinegar and whipped cream!

Any thoughts appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

dipdip, the only thing I'd be concerned about is what they mean by no acids... the tomatoes and berries would be quite acidic...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement