Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Chat Thread

Options
1325326327328329331»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

L1011 wrote: »
    I found that using an utterly obscene amount of them in everything I cooked eventually desensitised me. Fight through it and come out the other side stronger ;)

That and I find the loose ones my greengrocer sells were less biting than the ones in plastic nets anyway but it's unlikely to be precisely the same ones elesehwre

This is so true - I normally cook with onions a lot and never had a problem with my eyes watering ,then there was a period earlier this year when I wasn't cooking much, not even onions (?!) and when I went back to cut one up my eyes watered so much I couldn't see what I was doing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

otnomart wrote: »
    Quick question:
    What is your fave method to avoid crying when cutting onions ?
    Thanks !!!

Have done a quick search and also found "Put a Match in Your Mouth"; I don't smoke and don't have matches at home so will not try that one !

I do not want to risk cutting them in water, but I have tried to put them in a bowl of water as soon as I peeled them, and I do cry a bit less.

Either the swimming goggles, or the spoon in my mouth (but neither are foolproof). I've I've to do a few of them, I slice them with a food processor (with the slicing disc).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

If possible, cut them up outside. Even the tiniest breeze stops the sulfenic acid from reaching your eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Kat1170 wrote: »
    If possible, cut them up outside. Even the tiniest breeze stops the sulfenic acid from reaching your eyes.
    yeah, a kitchen window near my counter goes into the side passage, and you can get a good breeze coming through. I have brought out a chopping board to the BBQ which has a platform at counter height.

I also now often chop lengthways, like orange segments. I noticed the chinese takeaways did it for currys and it does seem to make a difference to the taste when I did it but also less tearing up. You are meant to chop less into the cells releasing the gas/smell.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

otnomart wrote: »
    Quick question:
    What is your fave method to avoid crying when cutting onions ?
    Thanks !!!

Have done a quick search and also found "Put a Match in Your Mouth"; I don't smoke and don't have matches at home so will not try that one !

I do not want to risk cutting them in water, but I have tried to put them in a bowl of water as soon as I peeled them, and I do cry a bit less.

I wear contact lenses. They seem to protect my eyes somehow, I almost never cry when cutting onions. If I cut onions wearing glasses, though, it's a different story altogether, it's Niagra Falls!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Couldn't think where else to put this but just wanted to recommend the chipotle paste tesco have:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/300808599

It's spicy and smoky and delicious - you can stir a little into plain hummus, or into a beef or chicken burger mix, or mix with mayo/yoghurt to make a spicy dip. I do the burger thing all the time, you can just mix extra flavours into a readymade fresh plain burger patty and make it gourmet

It's less than half the price of the branded version too :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

B0jangles wrote: »
    Couldn't think where else to put this but just wanted to recommend the chipotle paste tesco have:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/300808599

It's spicy and smoky and delicious - you can stir a little into plain hummus, or into a beef or chicken burger mix, or mix with mayo/yoghurt to make a spicy dip. I do the burger thing all the time, you can just mix extra flavours into a readymade fresh plain burger patty and make it gourmet

It's less than half the price of the branded version too :)

It's good, but catch the Gran Luchito smoked chilli paste if you can. It's excellent. Picado in Dublin sell it too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Speaking of chilli pastes, the best one I have encountered by far is from Kingfisher.

Picked up a jar in homesense a while back but will never be able to find it again. Its so flavourful and very hot.

Got three different jars of chilli products (paste, mayo and jam) for €3.

Total score.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Shenshen wrote: »
    If I cut onions wearing glasses, though, it's a different story altogether, it's Niagra Falls!

Yep, that's me most times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Don't want to dedicate a thread to this but.....what in the name of fok did cadburys do to the yellow snack??? I'd forgive them the awful updated wrapper design but the taste of it is horrific..yellow snacks used to be heaven grrr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    Don't want to dedicate a thread to this but.....what in the name of fok did cadburys do to the yellow snack??? I'd forgive them the awful updated wrapper design but the taste of it is horrific..yellow snacks used to be heaven grrr

Excuse my language but there is only one description of the new Yellow Snack.

It's a fcuking travesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    .yellow snacks used to be heaven grrr
    This has come up before, can't be sure but I think there was mention of an own brand one which was at least better than the current one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I lost all respect for snack bars when the pink one went from three fingers to two. The beginning of the end imo. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Hello all,

A mate of mine is after giving me some hard salted bacon joint.

Any ideas on the best way to cook it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I lost all respect for snack bars when the pink one went from three fingers to two. The beginning of the end imo. :mad:

Cadbury dairy milk now has three squares per row not 4. Do they think we will not notice> I eat the third one then reach for the fourth...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hello all,

A mate of mine is after giving me some hard salted bacon joint.

Any ideas on the best way to cook it?

First you soak it for at least 24 hours in cold water, changing it from time to time to get the excess salt out.... I used to simmer it with dried peas and onion... delicious soup and a joint to carve. Bay leaves..soul food...Slow cooker works . But folk here will have far more exotic ideas.. I am a very basic cook

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Graces7 wrote: »
    Cadbury dairy milk now has three squares per row not 4. Do they think we will not notice> I eat the third one then reach for the fourth...

Dairy Milk are muck now they're not actually Irish yet. You need to be eating the twirls, proper creamy Irish milk chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Ok folks, another couple of posts and this thread would have imploded.

The new one is now here

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058019068/1/#post111379428

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement