Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

(If you eat rabbit stew, do you have a Tummy Bugs? :p)

Needs recognition :)

I was trying to source either Ostrich or Kanga for my Stroganoff, but the Venison from Lidl was so tender and beautiful in the Stroganoff sauce, with the Chestnut mushers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

What would you do with a shoulder of venison?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Minder wrote: »
    What would you do with a shoulder of venison?
    Venison pie. Search my posts in this forum, you'll find one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm slow cooking brisket, and while it smells amazing, the bit I tried tasted of nothing. I'm hoping a stint in the oven will get a bit of flavour onto it!

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Was chopping coriander tonight and can't get that soapy smell off my hands! :mad:

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Was chopping coriander tonight and can't get that soapy smell off my hands! :mad:
    Wash your hands under warm running water using a spoon as if it was a bar of soap. It sounds crazy, but it works for garlic.

Are you supposed to feed a cold or starve a cold?

... I hope it's the former!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Faith wrote: »
    Are you supposed to feed a cold or starve a cold?

... I hope it's the former!

Starve a fever: feed a cold. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Feed a cold. Starve a fever.

I remember reading an article in New Scientist last year that suggested that there was sound medical evidence of the benefits of doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

dipdip wrote: »
    Starve a fever: feed a cold. :)
    Feed a cold. Starve a fever.

I remember reading an article in New Scientist last year that suggested that there was sound medical evidence of the benefits of doing this.

I like to lace my lemsip with fizzy lucozade sport

• Advertisement

Brilliant, I'm glad I had second breakfast so :D

Purely medicinal!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The classic post Jazz Festival cold.
    Back in the day when I went to a lot of Jazz events and drank rather a lot, I always, always came down with a whopping cold on Tuesday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Hope you didn't forget elevenses or brunch either. Get you to rights in no time.

Hope you didn't forget elevenses or brunch either. Get you to rights in no time.

I forgot them today, but I'll make sure I have them tomorrow. I'll have to make do with lunch, 3 o'clock slump, tea, dinner and supper today ;).

Beer - that's funny! It makes sense though, with the huge crowds and influx of people. Plus I was at the Franciscan Well for ages so I was standing outside holding cold pints for hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Does anyone else when they are heading away spend a disproportionate (and scary to other people) amount of time looking up places to eat and places to buy pastries and places to go look at groceries? Am heading to Hamburg next month and I may or may not have a spreadsheet with tabs marked 'Konditerei', 'Places to Eat along that walk you're doing' and other embarrassing things involving the proximity of Bratwurst to my apartment.

I was standing outside holding cold pints for hours.

Aye, 'holding' lots of cold pints will do it. :p

Just had cheese on toast. Can't bate it.

Fish pie for dinner. Cooking for Americans who've never tasted it. Expecting a version of this to follow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS8MegEiKLk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

What are you, a Hobbit?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

And drinking out of wet glasses. ;) Very dangerous.

I never knew you were actually supposed to feed a cold. I thought it just meant you can eat, whereas when you have a flu you should avoid food. :) What good news this is!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Definitely feed a cold. Mind you, I feed everything except a tummy bug :)
    Chicken soup is what you need Faith.

Does anyone else when they are heading away spend a disproportionate (and scary to other people) amount of time looking up places to eat and places to buy pastries and places to go look at groceries? Am heading to Hamburg next month and I may or may not have a spreadsheet with tabs marked 'Konditerei', 'Places to Eat along that walk you're doing' and other embarrassing things involving the proximity of Bratwurst to my apartment.

I definitely spend a disproportionate amount of time of Trip Advisor when I so much as leave my neighbourhood.

:D

Sure I'd hardly be drinking them now ;).
    Mrs Fox wrote: »
    What are you, a Hobbit?

Doesn't everybody have second breakfast?

:pac:
    Definitely feed a cold. Mind you, I feed everything except a tummy bug :)
    Chicken soup is what you need Faith.

Chicken soup sounds lovely. I'm having roast chicken for dinner tonight so I might make some with whatever's left.

I want to actually do some research into this 'feeding a cold' business now!

Also, I'm so glad that the winter is drawing in and the comfort foods are back out in force. Stews, roasts, casseroles, soup, all of that. Yum.

It seems there definitely is something to the notion of feeding a cold:
    Whoever first advised people to feed a cold probably did it for the wrong reasons. Colds aren't the result of being chilled, and eating raises body temperature only slightly for only about 20 to 30 minutes (which is why experts advise you to wait that long before sticking a thermometer under your tongue). But that anonymous sage got the most important thing right: Eating well is an important part of nursing a cold.

Research shows that your immune system needs to be properly nourished to function properly, and that's especially important when you're run down. In the mid-1990s, for example, the U.S. Army noticed that Ranger trainees were succumbing to infections during training [source: McBride]. Government researchers discovered the problem wasn't the stress of hard exercise, but rather an inadequate diet. When male soldiers didn't consume enough calories to meet their daily needs, their T cells' ability to attack invading microbes decreased by as much as 60 percent [source: McBride].

Studies on animals also indicate that being undernourished makes it tougher to fight off an infection. In a study published in 2008, for example, Michigan State University nutritional immunology researcher Elizabeth Gardner found that mice with a calorie-restricted diet were more likely to die during the first few days of infection than mice with a normal diet, and they took longer to recover from the illness [source: MSU News].

Conversely, a 2002 study by Dutch researchers found that eating actually stimulates the type of immune response that destroys the viruses that cause colds. Six hours after a meal, human subjects' levels of gamma interferon, a substance involved in the process by which T cells destroy cells invaded by pathogen, more than quadrupled. In contrast, a group who drank only water saw their gamma interferon levels drop slightly [source: van den Brink].

From: http://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/cold-flu/feed-a-cold2.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

I'm going to Munich tomorrow and I've done the exact same thing. I've tracked down every schnitzl and wurst within a five mile radius of the hotel :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You don't go to Munich for schnitzels or (brat)wurst (unless it's Bavarian Weisswurst of course). Schweinshaxen is where it's at there. I recommend a place called Haxnbauer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Alun wrote: »
    You don't go to Munich for schnitzels or (brat)wurst (unless it's Bavarian Weisswurst of course). Schweinshaxen is where it's at there. I recommend a place called Haxnbauer.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll def check it out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Right, baking wizards among ye. Where to start? I've only dabbled with biscuits, cakes or bread (some from tCC, or books), and not very frequently. Baking seems very much about precision - a jot or two too much can change the texture, flavour, etc...not to say cooking is different in this regard. :P Wouldn't say I'm great baker, but how do you slowly improve your skills?

Wouldn't say I'm great baker, but how do you slowly improve your skills?
    It's hackneyed, but it's true: practice, practice, practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I'm going to Munich tomorrow and I've done the exact same thing. I've tracked down every schnitzl and wurst within a five mile radius of the hotel :D
    Alun wrote: »

I'm a total freak but I really, really enjoy bratwurst from, like, skuzzy train station stalls. The ones with the petit pain that is both stale and not really baked through. With mustard both on the sausage and all down my front. It's just about the first thing I do once I step dainty foot on German soil, no matter where I am.

Have to remedy never having had Schweinhaxen shortly. Although have, I think, had it but at carnivals where I only sort of remember the Schweinhaxen stall through fuzzy beer eyes and it might have been swamped in cocktail sauce. And I might have dropped it on the ground and had to be talked out of picking it up, flicking the gravel off the schwein and eating it anyways

• Advertisement

Cocktail sauce? You must have been eating something else. Respect on the beer-goggles though. ;)

Haxe, matchsticks of raw horse radish & beer - food of the Gods. Enjoy!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement