Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Thanks DB, I might save the effort of making them for a special occasion so! They seem straightforward enough, just relatively time consuming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Merkin wrote: »
    I'd like to try and make a lemon tart. Does anyone have a nice recipe that they use that they would care to share?

This is for a lemon tart filling. It is absolutely exquisite, it's my friend's recipe. Preheat oven to 325-350 F.

1 crack-free sweet short crust pastry base (I used the Hairy Biker's version, or you can buy one)
    3 eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
    Juice of 3 lemons and 1 orange
    Zest of 2 lemons
    1/4 pint double cream
    5 1/2 ounces caster sugar

Whisk all ingredients together. When frothy pour into the tart shell, then place in the oven and fill with the remaining mixture to the brim.

Bake until just set, the timing of this will depend on your oven (with parchment paper on the top if going brown). Note how long it takes the first time and then you'll know after that!

I serve it cold with a dusting of icing sugar and a splodge of whipped cream.

Oh my, it's just one of THOSE days here where all sorts of sh*t is hitting the fan!

I was planning on making my own pasta tonight, but I don't have a pasta roller. Am I an absolute fool? Is it more work than it's worth to do it by hand? It would be my first time making it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Faith wrote: »
    I was planning on making my own pasta tonight, but I don't have a pasta roller. Am I an absolute fool? Is it more work than it's worth to do it by hand? It would be my first time making it.

This is a question that I have often wanted the answer to! I always wondered, could I make ravioli and roll it super-thin with the rolling pin...? Curious to hear what the pasta aficionados will say.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Mrs Billy had a bit of an accident at the weekend which has her fairly zonked. I put my flight back by a day & did the dinners for most of the week on Monday morning.
    Hopefully she'll only have to make the school lunches & microwave the porridge for brekky now.
    They might be sick of various stews by the time I get home but they'll survive. :)

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It's definitely doable, but it's a fair bit of work. I find it fairly labour-intensive (albeit enjoyable) to make it with the wee machine, so it would probably be more work than it's worth for me personally.

But do let us know how you get on. :)

I figured it required an emotional investment I couldn't give tonight (although maybe all the kneading would have helped!) so I just bought fresh pasta instead. I'll definitely try it soon and report back though :).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Oh my, it's just one of THOSE days here where all sorts of sh*t is hitting the fan!

I was recently helping out a friend in their restaurant and they (I) were using won ton wrappers to make ravioli. Thinner than pasta (a good thing, in my book) and easy to work with. I'm gonna be doing it myself at home sometime.
    The ravioli dish is extremely popular in the restaurant. You can get much more filling in than you might think as you can stretch the top wrapper to cover the filling.

You can buy them in any Asian shop (usually frozen, I think)

Which Asian shops do you rate in Cork, beer? I only ever venture as far as Mr Bells in the English Market.

Which Asian shops do you rate in Cork, beer? I only ever venture as far as Mr Bells in the English Market.

I like Jia Jia on Cornmarket St for Chinese stuff and I tend to use Aysha's on Shandon St or the newish one on Cogburg St for Indian and Mediterranean stuff.

Ther'es a good Chinese shop out Blackpool way too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    Made coconut flour pancakes, needs some tweaking, but they're not bad

Oh god, I tried this one and it was disastrous. Straight into the bin.

We picked 60kg of apples off the mother's trees and are making lots of lots of cider with them. Yum, cider! Homemade cider you might say!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Just a little tip from the Billy household for Hallowe'en - I usually dole out a few Garibaldi biscuits with the usual stuff to the kids who call. But I tell them that the raisins are dead flies.

Freaky-neighborhood-Dad-voice: Go on, have a Dead Fly biscuit. The spiders that live in your tummy will love them. Mu-ha-haaaaaa!!!!!!

I've not had any claims for mental distress. Yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Floyd on Food - BBC2 every afternoon. See it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Merkin, the lemon tart by Chong in the cooking club is gorgeous - takes a bit of work cos you've to leave the pastry overnight but it's really really good.

Considering cake for dinner. My housemate made chocolate cinnamon cake and it's right in front of me, and the curry ingredients are alllllll the way over there in the fridge...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Anyone watching Valentine Warner in Scandinavia? I just watch the (recorded) episode where he went to Faviken. Amazing place as far north as Trondheim. Magnus Nilsson uses local ingredients including game and wild fruit and vegetables, combined with traditional preserving methods to produce a very unique experience. One of my bucket list restaurants.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Minder wrote: »
    Anyone watching Valentine Warner in Scandinavia?
    With a Danish girlfriend, how could I not? :) It's been quite fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What channel is it on? I don't really like him that much but I have an interest in Sweden generally, and food as well, so might be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Good Food channel. It was on every day for a few weeks. I'm working my way through the old recordings, so not sure if its still showing. Bound to be back again and again...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

OK, can't get that one, that's probably why I hadn't heard about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Patrick Linhart

What do u think bout sugar ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Minder wrote: »
    Anyone watching Valentine Warner in Scandinavia?

Managed to catch a few. I've always taken to the fella (he sometimes reminds me of my husband when he gets all dorky).
    Some amazing produce there. Love that small prawn crab and seaweed pasta episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

What do u think bout sugar ?

it's amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dararyder

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any idea where i might get chestnut puree or even tinned chestnuts in Dublin City?

Would like to give this a go - http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1129656/chestnut-and-amaretto-roulade.

Any help appreciated, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

dararyder wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any idea where i might get chestnut puree or even tinned chestnuts in Dublin City?

Would like to give this a go - http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1129656/chestnut-and-amaretto-roulade.

Any help appreciated, cheers.

Not sure if chestnut spread is the same thing as chestnut puree but have seen this stuff in Fallon & Byrne, Chez Max grocery on Baggot Street and the Donnybrook Fair in Donnybrook

AlgerianCoffeeStores.ChestnutTube-500x500.JPG

And only just realised that yer man in it is a chestnut and not an orangutan!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dararyder

And only just realised that yer man in it is a chestnut and not an orangutan!

Haha ace. Thanks for that. Much appreciated, i'll drop by at the weekend.

Cheers

Not sure if chestnut spread is the same thing as chestnut puree but have seen this stuff in Fallon & Byrne, Chez Max grocery on Baggot Street and the Donnybrook Fair in Donnybrook

That paste will be very, very sweet.
    Not the same as puréed chestnuts.
    I'd imagine you can get tins of puréed chestnuts in any of the places above.

Superquinn often have vacuum packed chestnuts

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

They sell them whole in a jar there too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I got a tin of pureed chestnuts in Superquinn last Xmas.

• Advertisement

I was recently helping out a friend in their restaurant and they (I) were using won ton wrappers to make ravioli. Thinner than pasta (a good thing, in my book) and easy to work with. I'm gonna be doing it myself at home sometime.
    The ravioli dish is extremely popular in the restaurant. You can get much more filling in than you might think as you can stretch the top wrapper to cover the filling.

I'd love to make ravioli with my own filling but I've never attempted fresh pasta, so I was thinking what if I use fresh lasagna sheets.
    Would this work?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement