Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Great, thanks :) I might just get Horlicks although I will be near a health shop later as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

hardCopy wrote: »
    I'm led to believe so. I ended up adding some live yoghurt to it to give it a kick start, I know you can definitely use live yoghurt.

I'll post my findings in the morning.

The bread turned out edible but not great. I'm not whether to blame the milk or the recipe as it was my first attempt at soda bread. I used a recipe from the back of a packet of odlums wholemeal flour.

The bread tasted nice but after 1hr40 @ 150c it came out doughy in the middle.

277296.jpg

It wasn't what I had hoped for but not worthy of the Cooking Disasters Thread either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

hardCopy wrote: »
    The bread tasted nice but after 1hr40 @ 150c it came out doughy in the middle.

Try 200C for 45-50 min. Thats what I usually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Try 200C for 45-50 min. Thats what I usually do.

Me too, high temp for a shorter time. I can't see how bread would cook at all at one fifty HC so try this next time and it will be lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Merkin wrote: »
    Me too, high temp for a shorter time. I can't see how bread would cook at all at one fifty HC so try this next time and it will be lovely :)

I also discovered last night that I had used 1 tsp of baking powder instead of 1 tsp of baking soda, I'm thinking this would have affected the rise.

• Advertisement

So, the chocolate and ale cake was delicious and Horlicks definitely worked fine for the malt and muscovado cream instead of malt extract!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Tom Kerridge's recipe? It's on my must-bake list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Having my folks over for a slap up meal this weekend. The menu plan is:

- Starter: Mushroom souffle
    - Mains: 'Posh fish and chips' (monkfish, beurre blanc, asparagus and thick-cut oven baked chips)
    - Dessert: Double chocolate cheesecake.

Served with pre-dinner G&T and lots of lovely pinot grigio with dinner.

I wish the week would hurry up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Belated congrats homemadecider!

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Tom Kerridge's recipe? It's on my must-bake list.

Yep - that's the one. A friend requested I bake it for him otherwise I probably wouldn't have but I'm glad I did. It's nice -an easy chocolate cake but a little bit different too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I cooked a rabbit stew last night - fried the pieces in seasoned flour, added to sweated carrots, leek, onion & celery. Then added 500ml blonde beer, 250ml chicken stock & a few sprigs of thyme.

It tastes nice, but something is missing & I cannot for the life of me think what it still needs. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Bacon, everything is better after the addition of bacon. A little grated lemon rind and some chopped parsley? Mustard in the sauce? Although I'm not sure what mustard and beer would be like - it works well in rabbit and cider.

Cheers Minder! Beer & mustard is a great combination - I occasionally do a Guinness & Mustard beef stew. I generally use milder coarse mustard though, but only have very hot stuff right now & no shops open here today.

However, I have a few lumps of bratspeck that need to be used up. I'll dice & fry them & add them to the stew. Much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I cooked a rabbit stew last night - fried the pieces in seasoned flour, added to sweated carrots, leek, onion & celery. Then added 500ml blonde beer, 250ml chicken stock & a few sprigs of thyme.

It tastes nice, but something is missing & I cannot for the life of me think what it still needs. Any ideas?
    Mustard.

Tell you what, I'll give both a go & I'll let you know later.

Tell you what, I'll give both a go & I'll let you know later.

I'd usually use bacon too and a bay leaf.

When I make a rabbit stew, I joint the rabbit and remove the saddles (too tender for stewing IMO). I'm then left with 4 legs, two boneless saddle strips (which I lightly flour, pan fry medium and serve with the stew) and some bones.
    These bones are the key to flavour.
    Make a little pot of stock with them, reduce it and add to your stew. The flavour from rabbit bones is phenomenal! (at least from wild rabbit)

Other than that it's a pretty basic stew - shallots, carrots, celery, leek, bacon, mustard, beer, parsley stalks, thyme, bay leaf and flat parsley leaf to serve. I always use Dijon mustard.
    I tend to use a brown beer with wild rabbit but maybe a blonde beer would be more suited to farmed rabbit.
    It takes a long time for wild rabbit legs to become tender - up to 3 hours.
    I love rabbit stew! I want rabbit stew!

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Where can you buy rabbit?

It was a spur of the moment purchase yesterday afternoon - a cut-price pack of rabbit joints on the market as it was closing. There were 2 legs & 5 saddles - must have been reared near the local nuclear power station. :)

The rest of the ingredients were what I had already & shops are all closed here on Sundays. I feel a bit thick for not thinking of the bacon last night when I was cooking it. Doh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I find a dollop of redcurrant jelly adds a lovely rich flavour to all kinds of game stews.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Have a lovely piece of free range pork belly slow cooking in Irish Craft Cider for tomorrow. Cant wait

Thanks folks - bacon & mustard did the trick. Delish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Thanks folks - bacon & mustard did the trick. Delish!

Sounds savage, haven't had rabbit in ages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Bay? A bit more salt n pepper?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Just made a pumpkin cake using this recipe http://southernfood.about.com/od/pumpkins/r/bl30212s.htm and the innards of my jack-o-lantern (just boiled, drained and pureed). It smells incredible, looking forward to completing it with some cream cheese icing and maybe some homemade jam...

Bay? A bit more salt n pepper?
    It had been properly seasoned, but the bacon & mustard did the trick & really lifted the flavour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

awec wrote: »
    Where can you buy rabbit?

It's been years since I've been in it, but JC's in Swords did, I think. A family friend recently bought kangaroo and all sorts in Lidl, so possibly there, too.

It's been years since I've been in it, but JC's in Swords did, I think. A family friend recently bought kangaroo and all sorts in Lidl, so possibly there, too.

I think you can get it online too but not sure where you can do this in Ireland. We visited friends in Leeds last year and they'd ordered squirrel off a website to try. We made a stew and while the stew itself was nice the meat was vile!

Sorry awec - I'm in Switz this weekend. I bought it in Bern.

(If you eat rabbit stew, do you have a Tummy Bugs? :p)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    and while the stew itself was nice the meat was vile!

How so? What was it like?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement