Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Crushed Tuc crackers make a great coating for chicken goujons or baked pork chops :)

Noted. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Hi all,

I posted a recipe on the 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread from the BBC Good Food website recently and I just wanted to add a tip I use regarding the site:

On the main page you are presented with a Search box - if you leave this blank and click Search it will list all recipes ordered by ratings (in descending order), i.e., all of the top rated dishes are returned first...a great way to view the BBC's "Greatest Hits" for inspiration!

Loire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What should I do with my Chicken breast for dinner? Can't comp up with anything

Skin is on the breast, got the usual potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic etc. No white wine or cream. Will prob go the usual route but anyone got any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

RasTa wrote: »
    What should I do with my Chicken breast for dinner? Can't comp up with anything

Skin is on the breast, got the usual potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic etc. No white wine or cream. Will prob go the usual route but anyone got any ideas?

A really easy thing to do is to slice the breast down the middle and fill it with something like pesto or cream cheese and dried apricots and wrap in prosciutto or Parma ham. Easy peasy and handy if you don't want to make something saucy (ooh matron!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Or, coat it with honey, lemon juice, wholegrain mustard, garlic and a drop of oil and roast it - the skin with be sticky and delicious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I have a lovely one too. I mix up mayonnaise, fresh garlic, mango chutney, soy sauce, ground ginger, salt & pepper and then leave the chicken to marinade for a little before oven roasting for half an hour....it's really tasty.

I might try that one!

I cannot eat enough mango chutney - nom om om

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hit a new low tonight - spaghetti with a half tin of Heinze mixed beans in some spicy pasta sauce.

Cupboards are empty as a very empty thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I've been doing kitchen clear outs over the last few months. If I haven't used it in six months, it can go to charity.

Now there's ROOM. And I want more STUFF...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,348 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

MasterChef - The Professionals is back on Beeb 2. Great programme.
    As with all MasterChefs though, when the judges have decided who's out, the person the camera points to second last is f@cked! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I've been doing kitchen clear outs over the last few months. If I haven't used it in six months, it can go to charity.

Now there's ROOM. And I want more STUFF...

Wanting a kitchen where every press isn't full to the point that you can't open one without being brained by a mouli or the paddles off an icecream machine you've never used is Borg-resisting levels of futile.

We've just moved house and the combination of getting rid of some stuff and having a kitchen where all my nice kitchenware is visible has me twitching to go shopping for stupid things like margarita glasses.

Speaking of new house - when it was cleaned out they didn't check the freezer. So I'm now the proud owner of 10 takeaway containers full of very, very overcooked broccoli. So if anyone wants to drop round for a meal of lots of soft yellow broccoli of unknown age...

Speaking of new house - when it was cleaned out they didn't check the freezer. So I'm now the proud owner of 10 takeaway containers full of very, very overcooked broccoli. So if anyone wants to drop round for a meal of lots of soft yellow broccoli of unknown age...

It was probably one broccoli originally that just mushroomed :pac: (get's coat)

MasterChef - The Professionals is back on Beeb 2. Great programme.
    As with all MasterChefs though, when the judges have decided who's out, the person the camera points to second last is f@cked! ;)

I absolutely love it. :D I haven't watched any episodes yet as I record them all and then binge on them at the weekends! Am just finishing the Australian Masterchef Season Five and it's good, not as good as last year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I love Aussie Masterchef! The judges are so friendly and funny :)

So, I have some thin steaks of sirloin beef leftover from making the Cooking Club stroganoff. Any suggestions what I can do with them? I can only think of a stir-fry, but I lived on stir-fries during my student days, I'm kinda sick of them now! :rolleyes:

Malari wrote: »
    So, I have some thin steaks of sirloin beef leftover from making the Cooking Club stroganoff. Any suggestions what I can do with them? I can only think of a stir-fry, but I lived on stir-fries during my student days, I'm kinda sick of them now! :rolleyes:

Steak sammidge?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Philly cheese steak!

/drool

Malari wrote: »
    I love Aussie Masterchef! The judges are so friendly and funny :)

I know they are so lovely to the contestants, and all great cooks as well! I think the standard of cooking in Australia is phenomenal, a really vast array of world cuisines on show, I invariably learn lots of things I'd never even heard of before.

I would never have thought of that MissF! That's a good idea. I have some peppers and I'll just need to get some fresh crusty bread and rocket ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Talking of rocket, if you have a garden, plant some wild rocket plants. Once established it grows like a weed and you'll never have to buy it again.

Merkin wrote: »
    I know they are so lovely to the contestants, and all great cooks as well! I think the standard of cooking in Australia is phenomenal, a really vast array of world cuisines on show, I invariably learn lots of things I'd never even heard of before.

I know, I love that they have a strong Asian influence and that they also focus on travelling around and using local produce. I mean you can push someone to the best of their abilities without being a supercilious arse (ahem, Greg T) ;)

• Advertisement

Alun wrote: »
    Talking of rocket, if you have a garden, plant some wild rocket plants. Once established it grows like a weed and you'll never have to buy it again.

I don't. I used to have a basil plant on the window will but last time I assaulted him for making a pesto the leaves never grew back :-/ Greenfingers, I ain't. :pac:

Alun wrote: »

+1 for Rosemary, Mint and Thyme. Mint is evil though, spreads under ground and pops up again elsewhere....a well-known cannibal in my herb garden :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Did Raclette come from swiss cow herders carrying around a big fat chunk of cheese in their bags to melt over their campfires in the evening or is that just a big fat lie? You could add in an ironic Swiss Cowboy element involving some manner of melted cheese with delightful burnt bits.
    We are actually going for a totally non-Swiss night. It is raclette/fondue season now & even the Swiss can only eat so much cheese.

As for the origins of raclette - I don't honestly know. But it is a fantastic way to eat with friends. Not forgetting the obligatory white wine & iced absinthe.

Iced absinthe.

My stomach actually turned reading those two words!

As for the origins of raclette - I don't honestly know. But it is a fantastic way to eat with friends. Not forgetting the obligatory white wine & iced absinthe.

For sure. And the bit where you have too much white wine and start thinking of what other things you might melt in the little frying pans. FYI anyone thinking of it, nutella turns into a layer of oil and gack.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

We'd usually fry onions, garlic, bacon, sausages on the raclette also. Plenty of pickled onions, gherkins, spuds, pickled chillis & an assortment of herbs & spices for the cheese.

As for the history of raclette - I'd imagine it was as described... Hunters & farmers frying cheese over their campfires or in their summer huts, along with whatever other scraps they had to hand. Peasant food at its best, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

...twitching to go shopping for stupid things like margarita glasses...

...champagne saucers. And a dinner set. And two new le creuset pieces. That's what I have my eyeballs on.

...champagne saucers.

I've spent actual chunks of the last year trying to find those either in Ireland or on eBay without stupid delivery charge. No dice. Really want to steal some the next time I'm in a cocktail bar that has them but just can't bring myself to sticky finger the desirable glasses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Brown Thomas have them, probably extremely pricey though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

I have lots of champagne saucers and I bought them all at a house clearance. I had to buy an entire cupboard full of crap to get them but that's another story :D I think I have six pairs and three odd ones, all the same shape/height with the difference being the engraving and I love them. The stalls at the antiques fairs in Clontarf Castle and Dun Laoghaire (the Royal Marine, I think, if that's still there) usually have a decent selection as well and they're not mad money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement