Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Ah lads, I'm fat as a fool at the moment so I'm doing that 5:2 diet thingy. Fast day today so shurrup about food! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Faith wrote: »
    Ah lads, I'm fat as a fool at the moment so I'm doing that 5:2 diet thingy. Fast day today so shurrup about food! :pac:

You're hanging out in the wrong place... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    I may have eaten in Pitt bros 3 times this week....

Its awesome, but I wouldn't bother with the brisket, its a bit flavourless. Ribs or Pulled Pork are where its at!!

Brisket is where its at for me, certainly Bison Bar do excellent brisket. I will try Pitt Bro's soon, although I'm a bit miffed why they copied Bison Bar's menu verbatim.....

Three times in a week in any one place is mental! So much choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

hardCopy wrote: »
    Chili con carne for starters
    Beef bourgignon for mains
    Chicken massaman for dessert

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Three times in a week in any one place is mental! So much choice!

Just the way it worked out, meeting three different groups for dinner and I wasn't the one choosing the restaurant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I just found out today in work that we're going to be starting all the Christmas baking this week and I'm going to be taken off my normal stuff to do it. This includes building a gingerbread house that is taller than me (I'm 5ft 9). We sent our design off to the engineering team today. I am SO excited, can't believe I'm going to be paid to make a giant gingerbread house....

Oh and I spent most of today learning how to make my own chocolates, which is something I've been pestering my seniors for months to teach me. All in all not a bad day in work!

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    I just found out today in work that we're going to be starting all the Christmas baking this week and I'm going to be taken off my normal stuff to do it. This includes building a gingerbread house that is taller than me (I'm 5ft 9). We sent our design off to the engineering team today. I am SO excited, can't believe I'm going to be paid to make a giant gingerbread house....

Oh and I spent most of today learning how to make my own chocolates, which is something I've been pestering my seniors for months to teach me. All in all not a bad day in work!

Hiring? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

This thread (and the dinner one) always makes me hungry, regardless of time of day or whether I've just eaten. We all just LOVE talking about food and if not talking about it, cooking it or preparing it or shopping for it or deciding what to have. :D

Merkin wrote: »
    This thread (and the dinner one) always makes me hungry, regardless of time of day or whether I've just eaten. We all just LOVE talking about food and if not talking about it, cooking it or preparing it or shopping for it or deciding what to have. :D

+1

I was at a wedding last weekend and got talking to the guy next to me (after a fair few). Food came up and I mentioned this forum and the fact that there is a thread where people post about what they had for "dinner last night". He just stared blankly at me with a worried look on his face. You think that's bad, says I, you should check out the Christmas forum :pac::D:D:D

Loire.

Loire wrote: »
    +1

I was at a wedding last weekend and got talking to the guy next to me (after a fair few). Food came up and I mentioned this forum and the fact that there is a thread where people post about what they had for "dinner last night". He just stared blankly at me with a worried look on his face. You think that's bad, says I, you should check out the Christmas forum :pac::D:D:D

Loire.

Haha! Isn't that why Instagram gets such a hard time? So many people posting pictures of their meals :D

I'm on a normal eating day today so at least I can comfortably read the forum now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Haha! Isn't that why Instagram gets such a hard time? So many people posting pictures of their meals :D

I'm on a normal eating day today so at least I can comfortably read the forum now!

I had to pass on taking a photo of Saturday night's dinner because I didn't want to explain to my girlfriend's parents why I needed a photo of their dinner "for the internet"

Don't go NEAR the savoury pie thread!!!

• Administrators Posts: 53,527 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Looking for a restaurant to bring the ma and da to at the weekend in Dublin. Either in town, around St Stephens green area (within a 15 minute walk) or Dundrum.

Any recommendations of somewhere nice but reasonably priced?

So, as you do, I'm off on the ferry to Cherbourg on Thursday for a little weekend of gourmet greatness.

The plan so far is to drive the car off the ferry ramp at Cherbourg. We have 2.5 days, want to stay within 90 minutes of the ferryport and have nothing booked.

Anyone have any ideas? Nothing romantic (two blokes).

awec wrote: »
    Looking for a restaurant to bring the ma and da to at the weekend in Dublin. Either in town, around St Stephens green area (within a 15 minute walk) or Dundrum.

Pigs Ear
    Pichet
    Peploes

I'd dinner in the Saddle Room in the Shelbourne last weekend and it was gorgeous. They have a very reasonable pre theatre menu but even the standard A La Carte menu is very good too. They also do a set menu I think for about €42 or something like that? I think it is very reasonably priced actually - unless everyone decides to choose lobster and chateaubriand :o We had our table booked for 8pm and were there until after midnight. Eight of us had three courses, a LOT of wine and it came to €680 which is not bad considering the amount of eating and drinking that went on! Definitely worth going to as food is delicious, wine menu extensive and the ambience is great.

• Administrators Posts: 53,527 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Pigs Ear
    Pichet
    Peploes

Thanks, will take a look at these!
    I'd dinner in the Saddle Room in the Shelbourne last weekend and it was gorgeous. They have a very reasonable pre theatre menu but even the standard A La Carte menu is very good too. They also do a set menu I think for about €42 or something like that? I think it is very reasonably priced actually - unless everyone decides to choose lobster and chateaubriand :o We had our table booked for 8pm and were there until after midnight. Eight of us had three courses, a LOT of wine and it came to €680 which is not bad considering the amount of eating and drinking that went on! Definitely worth going to as food is delicious, wine menu extensive and the ambience is great.

680 is slightly out of budget. :D

Heading to the Big Shmoke ourselves in Dec so will seriously consider this, thanks!

Thanks, will take a look at these!

680 is slightly out of budget. :D

That was between eight of us :D

Loire wrote: »
    Don't go NEAR the savoury pie thread!!!

It's okay, I don't like savoury pies :)

• Advertisement

My advice, as always, for those who might want to listen, is Guilbauds.

You'll all baulk at me I know, but their lunch menu at €50 is fantastic. 3 courses plus amuse bouche. Out of this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Decided to make vanilla fudge from scratch. Have only made the microwave one before. This recipe involved ice baths, boiling, soft ball stage, the lot. And it is not even as nice as the microwave version. Won't be trying that one again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gooneroo

can anybody tell me where i can buy potato flour or is it easy to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Asian shops usually sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gooneroo

cheers ill check them out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Someone mentioned a pink salad today. Think it's a German thing. Sounded...erm, not for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Maybe this is more suitable for the Christmas forum, but just found out we'll be hosting this year's Christmas dinner.
    Was thinking a huge pan of gambas ajillo with crusty bread for everyone to share for starters.
    Main, my bro-in-law would most probably bring his famous coke ham. Most of us aren't fans of turkey so have been doing goose or duck over the years, but I was thinking maybe a quail each this year. Dunno how I'll cook this just yet so I might do a trial soon. Any suggestions?
    Roast spuds, colcannon, glazed carrots, are mandatory. Only two of us likes brussel sprouts so I'm still debating on whether to have them on the menu. If not I'd need another green dish. Peas? :p
    Sis-in-law makes killer desserts so I'll leave that to her.

For main course portions, I think it's usually 2 quail per person :).

Must start thinking of my Christmas dinner soon too! I'm in charge this year but there's only 3 of us so it's not hard.

I'm going to my husband's family for the first time this year which I have mixed feelings about tbh. I don't mind as long as hubby and I are together but have always gone to my folks for Christmas and it's just one long decadant feast for the duration with lots of delicious food, board games, frivolity and wayyy too much drink. This year it's going to be a fairly staid affair in comparison I think. My other half told me his Mum would be doing a big chicken because they don't like turkey - I thought I was going to weep tbh.:( I normally look forward to Christmas dinner from about mid-January!

Talking to Mum on the phone last night though and her and Dad have decided to do a second Christmas Dinner on New Years's Eve for the Merkins and one of my brothers and his family too. I was telling Mr. Merkin this morning and he said I'm like a hobbit, when I asked why he said because they enjoy three breakfasts and I'll have two Christmas Dinners :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

For main course portions, I think it's usually 2 quail per person :)..

Two for me anyway since I don't eat ham

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement