Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hussey, that cheesecake looks amazing! I have that book, it's excellent, so must try that recipe soon :)

The chicken chasseur looks amazing too - would you have a recipe for it?

Edit: Sorry just saw you actually gave the recipe....! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has made their Christmas cake yet? Think I might go at this this weekend...

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Loire wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has made their Christmas cake yet? Think I might go at this this weekend...

Loire.
    Going to soak mine Sunday or Monday and bake it a week or two later, will make a change as I usually don't get round to baking it til 23 or 24 December, doesn't adversely effect the flavour though thankfully!

dee_mc wrote: »
    Going to soak mine Sunday or Monday and bake it a week or two later, will make a change as I usually don't get round to baking it til 23 or 24 December, doesn't adversely effect the flavour though thankfully!

A Xmas cake newbie...what do you mean by soaking the cake - I'm guessing you mean soaking the fruit somehow?

Thanks,
    Loire.

A Xmas cake newbie...what do you mean by soaking the cake - I'm guessing you mean soaking the fruit somehow?

Thanks,
    Loire.
    Yes soaking the fruit and ground almonds in brandy; because we're so disorganised in this house we tend to soak the fruit for a couple of weeks instead of 'feeding' the cake with alcohol in the lead-up to Christmas- the cake I do is moist enough without adding more alcohol after baking anyway!
    My top tip for soaking the fruit is to soak the cherries, mixed peel and ground almonds etc in the alcohol along with the raisins and sultanas etc (most recipes I've seen tell you to only soak the raisins and sultanas) - it makes for a lovely moist and fairly alcoholic tasting cake, without being overpoweringly drink-y!
    What recipe are you using Loire?

• Advertisement

Yes soaking the fruit and ground almonds in brandy; because we're so disorganised in this house we tend to soak the fruit for a couple of weeks instead of 'feeding' the cake with alcohol in the lead-up to Christmas- the cake I do is moist enough without adding more alcohol after baking anyway!
    My top tip for soaking the fruit is to soak the cherries, mixed peel and ground almonds etc in the alcohol along with the raisins and sultanas etc (most recipes I've seen tell you to only soak the raisins and sultanas) - it makes for a lovely moist and fairly alcoholic tasting cake, without being overpoweringly drink-y!
    What recipe are you using Loire?

Thanks! I don't have a recipe yet. I see a nice looking one on the Odlums site but am all ears!

Thanks!
    Loire.

Thanks! I don't have a recipe yet. I see a nice looking one on the Odlums site but am all ears!

Thanks!
    Loire.
    I use a SunMaid recipe from years and years ago, have no problem posting it here, just let me know if you're interested x

I use a SunMaid recipe from years and years ago, have no problem posting it here, just let me know if you're interested x

That would be great if you could!
    Loire.

SunMaid Christmas Cake

500g Raisins
    175g Sultanas (I use 500g sultanas and 175g raisins but that's just personal preference)
    100g mixed peel
    175g glace cherries (cut in quarters, pop them in a sieve and rinse in boiling water to remove the syrup)
    6 or 7 dried apricots (or dried peaches if you can find them, either way cut each into 8 or 10 pieces)
    100g ground almonds
    Grated rind of 2 lemons (wash in boiling water to remove wax if you're using waxed lemons)
    5 chunks crystallised ginger, finely chopped
    150ml brandy

Step 1: Prepare the ingredients listed above and soak in the brandy for at least 24 hours or up to a month. I use a mixing bowl triple-wrapped in cling film and give it a shake every couple of days to make sure everything is nicely soaked in alcohol! Dark rum or whiskey or a mixture works just as well as brandy.

Step 2: Line a 9 inch (23cm) round cake tin with parchment (I line the base with a circle of brown paper, then the parchment, then line the sides, and also wrap the outside of the tin with brown paper and secure it with string). If you want a 9 inch square cake, increase everything by 1/4.

Preheat oven to 150 degrees C/Gas mark 2/300 degrees F and put the shelf in the centre of the oven.

Ingredients

300g plain flour
    1 tsp mixed spice
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    225g butter, very soft
    225g soft brown sugar
    5-6 beaten eggs (5 large or 6 medium)
    1 tblsp molasses

Method

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then gradually beat in the eggs and molasses.
    Stir this mixture into the soaked fruit mixture until well combined.
    Turn into prepared tin and bake for 2.5 to 4.5 hours*, until a hot skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
    Leave in tin until completely cool, then wrap in parchment and tinfoil until ready to use.

*Yes, the cooking time is very vague: it completely depends on your oven! In our old gas oven, it took 4 hours 40 minutes; in our old electric oven, it took 2 hours 45 minutes. I'm pretty sure last year, in our latest electric oven, it took 3 hours.
    To make sure it cooks evenly and doesn't brown too much on top, I cover it after the first hour and a half. I make a cover about 2 inches bigger than the tin using 4 sheets of newspaper, double wrapped in tinfoil. Does the job nicely.

To ice the cake, I use 10.5 ounces of ground almonds, 10.5 ounces of sugar, 1/2 tsp almond essence, 1 egg and 1-2 tablespoons of brandy (I often leave out the almond essence and just use more brandy :)) - just mix the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients until it comes together like marzipan - it will seem very dry, but the heat of your hands will make it more moist very quickly.
    I use old school Instant Royal Icing powder: just less than 2 packs, made up using the instructions on the packet, covers this cake perfectly.

Happy Baking!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

The best cake I ever made was soaked in brandy for a month by mistake... it was really good.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Hi all,

Loire.

I did mine last week after putting it off for about 5 days. First I kept forgetting to put the fruit aside to soak overnight, and by the time I remembered to do that, I'd run out of eggs!

Anyhoo, it turned out lovely as far as I can tell, I switched to the Delia recipe a few years ago, it was a change from using a old Mrs Beeton recipe that made a cake the size of a fecking cartwheel :D

This is the one: http://www.deliaonline.com/home/Print-Recipe.html?PID=3049&ampCID=337

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Hi, I am kind of new to this forum, so I guess I should say hello... but more importantly I just needed to share that I have just made Delia's mincemeat and I am ALL ABOUT CHRISTMAS now! It is gorgeous! I am finding it really hard to put away. I might have to make more tomorrow :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Faith wrote: »
    Fresh pesto on Tuc is delicious too. In fact, is there anything that doesn't taste better on Tuc?
    I have recently rediscovered Tuc. I rue the day this happened!

May have to try pesto and Tuc next time I'm hungover :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Hello all! Any suggestions with what to do with loads and loads of cabbage? My jazz weekend fare consisted of gin and chips and my veg boxes are piling up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Stuffed cabbage Troo style

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/513576

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Brilliant. Can never go wrong when a recipe calls for sausages!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Crushed Tuc crackers make a great coating for chicken goujons or baked pork chops :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Minder wrote: »
    Interesting idea. Give it a twist maybe and list the cookbooks (or some of them) and ask for suggestions - name a recipe!

Good idea!
    Okay here are a few:
    Thai Street Food - David Thompson
    heston at home
    The family meal
    Passion for Flavour
    Kitchen secrets - Raymond Blanc
    James Martin Desserts
    White Heat - MPW
    Three Star Chef - Gordon
    Maze - Jason Atherton

Thanks dee_mc!!

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Hermione* wrote: »
    I have recently rediscovered Tuc. I rue the day this happened!

May have to try pesto and Tuc next time I'm hungover :pac:

Lovely with a massive dollop of Philadelphia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Minder wrote: »
    Reminds me of a Norwegian dish called Fårikål which is basically layered lamb and cabbage, along with lots(!) of black peppercorns. It doesn't sound much, and if you're into 'presentation', forget it :) but it's delicious. One of those dishes that seems to get better with age.

http://mylittlenorway.com/2008/09/lamb-in-cabbage/

hussey wrote: »

The James Martin Desserts book caught my eye because there is a conversation on here about the Lemon Meringue Pie recipe in that book. The lemon curd part isn't described well but it would be interesting to see if the recipe works by cooking out the curd.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

I have that James Martin book and the only thing that I make/made from it is the Chocolate Cola Cake.

It is so fast and easy to make and sooo yummy. It's always made for birthday's and special days.

I have a bit of addiction to cookery books too but normally only make one or two things if any from them.

I love reading and looking at the pictures and imagining the flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

fitzcoff wrote: »

I have a bit of addiction to cookery books too but normally only make one or two things if any from them.

I love reading and looking at the pictures and imagining the flavours.

I hear you, fitzy. I used to be much much worst, buying 4-5 books in one go, reading them in baths, bought every single magazines there was on the shelf, reading them on the bus, etc.
    The recession had put a stop to this madness. Plus, I've found this forum which had given me some of the best tips and recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,757 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Myself & a couple of Swiss pals are thinking of a Bud Spencer & Terrence Hill tribute dinner. Apart from ribs, chicken, beans & beers - any ideas for other rough & ready 'cowboy' trail food?

Must be easy to eat using your hands or at best - a wooden spoon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Myself & a couple of Swiss pals are thinking of a Bud Spencer & Terrence Hill tribute dinner. Apart from ribs, chicken, beans & beers - any ideas for other rough & ready 'cowboy' trail food?

Must be easy to eat using your hands or at best - a wooden spoon. :)

Cornbread?

Chilli con carne
    Scrapple
    Hush Puppies
    Biscuits and gravy
    Cobbler

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Cork selfbuild

Loaded potato skins or nachos...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Did Raclette come from swiss cow herders carrying around a big fat chunk of cheese in their bags to melt over their campfires in the evening or is that just a big fat lie? You could add in an ironic Swiss Cowboy element involving some manner of melted cheese with delightful burnt bits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Cow Pie

19b4a9.jpg

Don't forget the hay pie for any hungry horses!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement