Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I usually go with the kids midweek a soon as it opens, have a wonder around and pick up bits I need (or don't need), and head to the cafe just before lunchtime madness. Food is ok, don't think it's completely crap, fantastic value for what you get. You can get worst crap for double the price at so many places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Pretty much all I've had for lunch and dinner for the last 10 days is rice & beans, rice & beans, rice & beans. Oh, one night we got served eggs for dinner. Just eggs! Just a big pile of hard boiled eggs in the middle of the table, haha.

Back in Ireland on Monday, first matter to attend to is a proper cup of tea and a big fat meaty sandwich :)

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    Does anybody have any tips on how to use chilli powder? :)

Whenever I use it, it always ends up too spicy.

1 teaspoon of chilli powder in a big full casserole pot produces medium heat. I always gauge from this. So add more/less depending on the size of dish you're cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Pretty much all I've had for lunch and dinner for the last 10 days is rice & beans, rice & beans, rice & beans. Oh, one night we got served eggs for dinner. Just eggs! Just a big pile of hard boiled eggs in the middle of the table, haha.

Back in Ireland on Monday, first matter to attend to is a proper cup of tea and a big fat meaty sandwich :)

Where have you been HMC?

Am in Mozambique with work; I spent most of the time in a fairly remote part in the north of the country. Very bored of rice and beans at this stage.

I head to the airport tomorrow to come home to Dublin. Guess who's having a feckin giant G&T on the plane?! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Aw welcome home hon! I've worked and lived abroad too in some mad places and its mad what you crave when you get home isn't it? I was always dying for beans on toast covered with mature cheddar and a pot of Barry's Tea when I got back to Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I went to Mozambique and the food was really nice, I thought. I was in Maputo though and only for a short time. Pity you didn't have the same experience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

The early dark nights are messing with my head a bit, feels like it's the middle of the night after 6.30, hit the co-op today though and reminded immediately that Autumn is kickass. Best colours ever!

74770F96-4FDF-4FC5-8E8E-1C0126E8378B-731-000000AB2CB17771_zps747513a0.jpg

When I was away recently I had a coconut and pumpkin pudding and it was one if the nicest desserts I've ever had. I'm watching the new Paul Hollywood programme at the moment and he's making a ginger and pumpkin cheesecake. I was thinking of trying it but without the ginger and adding a coconut flavour instead. What the best way to coconut up the cheesecake mix do you think? He used double cream so maybe coconut cream instead?

Also, I used to eat a lot of pumpkin when I lived overseas but I can only seem to find it at Halloween here. Any ideas where is to good to get it? I'm in South Dublin

I had a surprisingly nice short flight just there; 50 minutes long and they gave us a really nice wrap, passionfruit cheesecake and sparkling wine!

It was also very hilarious because Fifty Cent was on the same flight and everyone was going bananas. Still giggling to myself at the bizarreness of it all; didn't expect to see a super celebrity in Mozambique!

• Advertisement

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Also, I used to eat a lot of pumpkin when I lived overseas but I can only seem to find it at Halloween here. Any ideas where is to good to get it? I'm in South Dublin

Lots of the farmers at the Newmarket Coop had pumpkin this week. I also spot giant green pumpkins a good bit at the Asian markets along Moore Street & on Mary Street in the city centre, they tend to sell them in slices.

Currently have pumpkin roasting for dinner tonight and taking the skin off was proving to be very annoying so it's skin-on. Hopefully it won't be rank

Lots of the farmers at the Newmarket Coop had pumpkin this week. I also spot giant green pumpkins a good bit at the Asian markets along Moore Street & on Mary Street in the city centre, they tend to sell them in slices.

Currently have pumpkin roasting for dinner tonight and taking the skin off was proving to be very annoying so it's skin-on. Hopefully it won't be rank

I always roast pumpkin with the skin on. It's easy to remove after it has been roasted. You can eat it too though. I do sometimes.

Will keep my eyes out in the Asian Markets for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Anyone using Dropbox? I find it great for cooking....I have a Word doc with all my favourite recipes in it. When I'm in the supermarket I can just fire it up and knowing what I have in the kitchen I can decide what I need.

I use Dropbox for work a good bit but not for food shopping, that's really clever! I do use my phone a lot when I'm at the shops, pulling up recipes, getting ideas for ingredients I have itchy fingers to buy and no idea what to do with etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I need to put all my recipes into Dropbox. When my last laptop died I lost lots of recipes and had to search online, mainly Boards to find where I'd posted them.

dee_mc wrote: »
    SunMaid Christmas Cake

Step 1: Prepare the ingredients listed above and soak in the brandy for at least 24 hours or up to a month. I use a mixing bowl triple-wrapped in cling film and give it a shake every couple of days to make sure everything is nicely soaked in alcohol! Dark rum or whiskey or a mixture works just as well as brandy.

Step1 completed yesterday. Herself walks into the kitchen, sees & smells the open bottle of cognac and says "Bit early for that don't you think?" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Merkin wrote: »
    Nyum, I love Lebanese food. Let us know what it's like!

Umi is that new place on Dame Street, right opposite that other new Falafel place, Beirut express!

Very comfortable place (like jo'burger/crackbird style layout), service a little slow, but nicely appointed inside. Decent menu, falafel was good. Small gripe about lack of Tzatziki as an option in my wrap, but I just didnt ask properly!

7.50 for falafel, wedges and a coke. The middle eastern salads look great and I will try them the next time, I was just a little hungover.

Well worth trying. I found this blog on the back of it.
    http://dublinfalafelhunt.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gooneroo

i have never cooked ham and cabbage before i'm giving it a go tonight any tips i can cook and resonably good just never cooked ham my wife always cooked it :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

gooneroo wrote: »
    i have never cooked ham and cabbage before i'm giving it a go tonight any tips i can cook and resonably good just never cooked ham my wife always cooked it :confused:

Are you boiling the ham? If so, keep the water and cook the cabbage in it.

Ham should be boiled for about 20mins per lb, plus 20mins over - that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

oh and btw, I counted ten new places like Umi that I have to try in Dublin. Heres my hit list.
    1. Oxmantown in Dublin 7
    2. Pit Bros on Georges St
    3. that new place beside Mulligans pub on poolbeg st
    4. that new sushi place Zakura on Wexford St - https://www.facebook.com/ZakuraDublin
    5. Cross Cafe on Francis Street - Great Art meets Coffee
    6. That new Tapas place also on Wexford st - http://www.lastapasdelola.com/
    7. A Killer Sandwich - new, once a week sambo, ordered on twitter on wed and pick up in city centre location on Friday! https://twitter.com/akillersandwich
    8. That new Cheesecake place from Cake Shop on South William St. https://twitter.com/CheesecakeDub
    9. That new Gourmet Sausage place in Georges St Arcade - http://www.worscht-world.com/

So much food, so little time......

• Advertisement

Death Row / Last Supper....what would it be?

Cucumber sandwich. Boring I know but don't think id have the stomach for a big fat juicy steak if I'm on death row

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Loire wrote: »

The biggest pepperoni pizza the prison could order in, followed by a black forest gateau :D

I've heard the cheesecake place is lovely!

My death row meal would be steak Diane, with potato dauphinoise, green beans and garlic bread. Then for dessert some kind of chocolate lava cake or chocolate sponge pudding. I'd have a massive bottle of diet coke and a bottle of Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc too (if that's allowed).

I'm on a diet and now I am so fricking hungry!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭stoutykid

My death row meal would be breaded goats chesse with red current jelly. Main course would be a proper Indian Lamb Rogan with Naan bread and for dessert it would have to be pavlova with strawberries and white chocolate. All washed down with Champagne and a Cork Coffee Roasters latte.

I'd have to go with a cold sea-food platter (the works) to start. Mains would be whole lobster boiled (for company on the other side :pac:) then grilled with butter & garlic. All washed down with a nice bottle of Bourgogne Pinot Noir. Dessert would be the longest cheese board with all 3 favourites (Raclette, Reblochon and Epoisses) washed down with a Quarts de Chaume from Loire ;)....they could do what they want with me after that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Beef & Pork Meatballs in a rich tomato sauce

Beef & Pork Meatballs in a rich tomato sauce

I had that for dinner tonight. Should I be worried?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Loire wrote: »

Chili con carne for starters
    Beef bourgignon for mains
    Chicken massaman for dessert

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

oh and btw, I counted ten new places like Umi that I have to try in Dublin. Heres my hit list.
    1. Oxmantown in Dublin 7
    2. Pit Bros on Georges St
    3. that new place beside Mulligans pub on poolbeg st
    4. that new sushi place Zakura on Wexford St - https://www.facebook.com/ZakuraDublin
    5. Cross Cafe on Francis Street - Great Art meets Coffee
    6. That new Tapas place also on Wexford st - http://www.lastapasdelola.com/
    7. A Killer Sandwich - new, once a week sambo, ordered on twitter on wed and pick up in city centre location on Friday! https://twitter.com/akillersandwich
    8. That new Cheesecake place from Cake Shop on South William St. https://twitter.com/CheesecakeDub
    9. That new Gourmet Sausage place in Georges St Arcade - http://www.worscht-world.com/

So much food, so little time......

I may have eaten in Pitt bros 3 times this week....

Its awesome, but I wouldn't bother with the brisket, its a bit flavourless. Ribs or Pulled Pork are where its at!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement