Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NHL Regular Season 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Brooks picking his spots? .. just because he didn't want to fight Thorton? As far as I am aware Brooks probably fights less than Marchand.

I personally thought Neal and Thornton could have got a little more.

My other half is a Bruins fan, it makes watching Bruins v Pens quite 'interesting', I've stormed off in a stroop when it was our turn to listen to the Bruins commentry :p

Orpik has a reputation for being a search and destroy artist. Delivering borderline hits and then not answering when someone calls him on it. It was bound to happen someday that someone was gonna come looking for payback after one of those hits. It just so happens this was the time. Neal also has previous for those kinds of dirty play. Thornton has no previous.

So people calling him a thug and pathetic are idiotic. If this kind of play was something he had priors for, then well and good. Thornton is well known throughout the NHL for being a tough, no nonsense, but clean and honourable player. He will serve his time for this, as he should. But let's stop the melodramatic whinging, it's bloody ridiculous.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭sketchpad

So people calling him a thug and pathetic are idiotic.
    I think 'thug' is an appropriate word for someone who sneaks up from behind someone, sweeps their legs and punches them when they are down. Maybe I'm wrong?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Who saw this hit? Huge!!

He came on a straight line from the bench, no other thought in mind, and given it was so close to the boards, it's charging.

sketchpad wrote: »
    I think 'thug' is an appropriate word for someone who sneaks up from behind someone, sweeps their legs and punches them when they are down. Maybe I'm wrong?

His behaviour is inexcusable. It really is that simple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

Get rid of the instigator rule.

Straight after the hit by Thornton, Orpik was challenged by Dougie Hamilton (Dougie Hamilton like? I don't think he has one professional fight!), he should have to fight him.

You can't make those kind of hits and not expect to answer the bell. If he man's up there, the whole situation is diffused.

And then Neal knees Marchand in the head (which I think is accepted among fans was >>>>worse than Thornton/Orpik).

And Dupuis breaks Chris Kelly's leg with a slash in the same game.

Especially with the history involved, the Bruins couldn't be expected to take anymore dirty hits from the Penguins.

Marc Savard anyone?

No wonder Thornton lost the plot.

The biggest problem I have with what he did was the slew foot. He should have just gone in and turned him around. If he wouldn't go then shame him again by rag-dolling him around the ice.

By the way - what kind of glass jaw does Orpik have that he goes 'lights out' from those couple of love-taps?

I notice that the Penguins are not letting up on the dirt - http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=696614&navid=nhl:topheads

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

mod9maple wrote: »
    His behaviour is inexcusable. It really is that simple.

You will find some people can find excuses for just about anything though.

mickydcork wrote: »
    Get rid of the instigator rule.

...he should have to fight him.

You can't make those kind of hits and not expect to answer the bell. If he man's up there...

No wonder Thornton lost the plot.

If he wouldn't go then shame him again by rag-dolling him around the ice.

By the way - what kind of glass jaw does Orpik have that he goes 'lights out' from those couple of love-taps?

Are you 12? :rolleyes:

It's the NHL's responsibility to stop GMs and coaches from dressing these rats and thugs in the first place. Other physical, tough body contact sports don't allow fighting, why hockey?

The game is changing and evolving, and it's time to clean up the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭cena

I seemed a fair hit. But the guy was to close to the boards for a hit like that.

How is the flyers player since?

mod9maple wrote: »
    Are you 12? :rolleyes:

It's the NHL's responsibility to stop GMs and coaches from dressing these rats and thugs in the first place. Other physical, tough body contact sports don't allow fighting, why hockey?

The game is changing and evolving, and it's time to clean up the sport.

LOL..... Rats and thugs. You do realise over 90% of coaches and GM's wish for the fighting to remain part of the game. And mainly because it means cheap shot artists like Orpik sooner or later have to pay for their dirty play. Thornton deserves his ban, don't get me wrong, but maybe now Orpik will think twice before he decides to go seeking to blindside someone else.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Even the Boston Herald says that the Orpik hit was a clean hit (and they are hardly bias to the Penguins). http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruins_nhl/boston_bruins/2013/12/shawn_thornton_s_action_deserves_lesser_ban

But even if it wasn't you can't have the main enforcement come from the players, lets say John Scott cheap shots Merchand and knocks him out, Thorton fights him and John Scott knocks out Thorton again, would you consider that case closed? All that leads to is whom ever has the biggest knuckle head on their team is allowed to do whatever they like.

Bans work - ban players who make them hits (and fine them their wages) and it will not be long before they stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭sketchpad

Bans work - ban players who make them hits (and fine them their wages) and it will not be long before they stop.

Fair point. The game needs to move away from fighting IMO. If I want to see a fight Dana White and the guys at UFC do a much a better job, we don't need the NHL to provide that. Let the refs and Shanahan deal with misconduct.

I highly recommend The Last Gladiators, a doc about NHL fighters. The physical and mental toll of a career as an 'enforcer' has long lasting consequences for these players.

From a legal perspective I wouldnt be surprised to see a class action against NHL by former player groups in the not too distant future also.

sketchpad wrote: »
    From a legal perspective I wouldnt be surprised to see a class action against NHL by former player groups in the not too distant future also.

It's already in the pipeline. And working groups have been set up as we speak to ban fighting in all hockey leagues, both in Canada and the USA. And the NHL is taking the issue very seriously, at long last.

Even the Boston Herald says that the Orpik hit was a clean hit (and they are hardly bias to the Penguins). http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruins_nhl/boston_bruins/2013/12/shawn_thornton_s_action_deserves_lesser_ban

But even if it wasn't you can't have the main enforcement come from the players, lets say John Scott cheap shots Merchand and knocks him out, Thorton fights him and John Scott knocks out Thorton again, would you consider that case closed? All that leads to is whom ever has the biggest knuckle head on their team is allowed to do whatever they like.

To be honest, I would consider it case closed. To me, the alternative is worse. You would have guys looking for revenge flying along the ice at 40kph wrecking guys off the puck, or plastering them through the boards. I understand the implications of what fighting does to guys, but the kind of instances that happened in the past with bench clearing brawls etc doesn't happen now. And I think even the knuckleheads would even prefer having to take a couple of digs to the head, rather than having no idea what happened and waking up in hospital being told your career is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭scottmcb04

What are the kings gonna do when quick is back, jones is absolutely flying 7 0 0 with a 0.85 ga avg.

They are mental stats, kings have been awesome lately!

scottmcb04 wrote: »
    What are the kings gonna do when quick is back, jones is absolutely flying 7 0 0 with a 0.85 ga avg.

They are mental stats, kings have been awesome lately!

They play Quick. A veteran with a proven track record versus a rookie with a very short albeit excellent start to a career? Don't forget Scrivens too.

Anyway there's no way Jones keeps this up, he may be very good but no-one is that good. He'll regress to the mean eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Rangers are 1 up against the Leafs at the moment late in the 3rd. Bernier has had some game for the Leafs in goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

This goal was really weird...

...but the same goalie managed to score this unbelievable goal.

Washington Capitals: 50 shots on goal
    Buffalo Sabres: 17 shots on goal

...and Sabres win 2:1 SO

Ryan Miller is awesome

GvidoR wrote: »
    Washington Capitals: 50 shots on goal
    Buffalo Sabres: 17 shots on goal

...and Sabres win 2:1 SO

Ryan Miller is awesome

Unreal, man what I would give to see him in a Rangers' shirt. The Sabres would be lost (even more) without him.

• Advertisement

Winter classic on today @ 18.00. Gonna be some game. Can't wait.

Good 2-1 win for the Rangers last night and a superb performance by Hank. A notable mention needs to go to Thomas too who was outstanding in net for the Panthers. (.968 SV%)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

COYW wrote: »
    Unreal, man what I would give to see him in a Rangers' shirt. The Sabres would be lost (even more) without him.

Are you giving up on Lundqvist?

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Are you giving up on Lundqvist?

My support for him has faltered at times this season but he was back to his best last night. But for an awful mistake by the D he would have had a shutout.

My support for him has faltered at times this season but he was back to his best last night. But for an awful mistake by the D he would have had a shutout.

He's a bit like Miller in Buffalo too, gets no help from the team in front of him at times. There's whispers of miller to Chicago but really can't see it happening. Crawford is due back this weekend and Raanta has been lights out in his absence.

aaronm13 wrote: »
    He's a bit like Miller in Buffalo too, gets no help from the team in front of him at times. There's whispers of miller to Chicago but really can't see it happening. Crawford is due back this weekend and Raanta has been lights out in his absence.

Same with us. Lundy is number one, we all know that and the Cambot has been superb since he came in for Biron.

Same with us. Lundy is number one, we all know that and the Cambot has been superb since he came in for Biron.

Should be a great game today. Going by the photos I saw from practice yesterday its going to be cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭cena

Anyone know of anywhere that well showing the stadium series games in dublin

So Ryan Miller is going to winter olympics in a Team USA jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭mickydcork

Where is Miller going to end up after the trade deadline?

I think if he went to a team like the Blues it could put them over the top for a cup run, as I just don't think Halak or Elliot are good enough.

and what would it cost them? A first round pick + a prospect?

edit: forgot about cap space! could be an issue for St Louis, although they could move Halak in the opposite direction (he's UFA too)

• Advertisement

GvidoR wrote: »
    So Ryan Miller is going to winter olympics in a Team USA jersey.

It seems it's all about reputations. Quick and Howard? Howard? The mind boggles. If I was Ben Bishop I'd be mighty peeved.

Advertisement