Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,878 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Pogue eile wrote: »
    So which is it? Do you want the media to big ye up as contenders or do you want them to dismiss ye?

Seems like no matter what the media do you will be offended by it?

This goes for all GAA counties and supporters btw so not a personal dig or even a Donegal one, every county is the same - its either they are bigging us up for a fall or we never get the recognition we deserve!!

As not one member of the media will be catching or kicking a ball on our behalf I could care less what they write.

The vast majority of them should be either ignored for their ill informed ignorant antics in the past when gleefully giving us a kicking, or laughed at for how often they have been wrong in their many predictions.

Nowadays I just tend to ignore the idiots and chancers. That said a good informed piece by Darragh O`Sé in today`s Irish Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Sin e go direach Charlie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Jebus, let's not turn into Andy McEntee.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Jebus, let's not turn into Andy McEntee.

Personally I would look on that reporter as being a bit of a gobs***te.

What else did he expect going up to McEntee asking about releasing players for hurling as they team were boarding the bus after losing a Leinster final with them having a footballer qualifier coming up in two weeks.

Sounds like quite a few of his ilk nowadays. Sensational headline chasers rather than what their profession defines them as. Reporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭overshoot

That sums up most these days. Get the controversial statement out. Generally can't watch any RTE post match analysis (at least when they have their 'main' panels on, or even just one of them as they just drag it down into rants)

• Advertisement

The Meath reporter said or did nothing wrong.

And that's all I will say about it in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I don't think it's quite the same thing RSF, at least not where I'm coming from.
    It's one thing to say ignore the majority of them as they're talking out of their hole. It's another thing completely for a manager of a team (with responsibilities to deal with the press) to act like he did.
    But I think Charlie had it right when he said "The vast majority of them should be either ignored for their ill informed ignorant antics in the past when gleefully giving us a kicking, or laughed at for how often they have been wrong in their many predictions.".
    When you have lads on the national broadcaster talking about how well Jamie "Malone" played or another who talks about what a good job Odhran McFadden Ferry did man marking "Mc Veety" out of the game, then you know these lads spent about 2 seconds on their analysis! Most of them are just looking for airtime and have nothing of value to offer.
    Entertaining they might be, but there are very few of them whose views are worth taking too seriously. That said, at least it can be entertaining at times. Look at the panelists of premiership soccer ... it could be a lot worse, all the vacuos opinion without any of the entertainment!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

Some harsh comments from the under 20 manager during the press launch.

doc_17 wrote:
    Some harsh comments from the under 20 manager during the press launch.

Are these published anywhere? Listened to him on DSH and didn't hear anything I would consider harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Are these published anywhere? Listened to him on DSH and didn't hear anything I would consider harsh.

Seen them on the democrats fb page they were harsh alright but maybe he has a point not sure on the back story

• Advertisement

Murphy14 wrote:
    Seen them on the democrats fb page they were harsh alright but maybe he has a point not sure on the back story

The comments about Gallen and Doherty not being available?

Yes. But more specifically the comments about the Glen man. Very unfair on the young lad. That all dates back to last year and i’d Imagine that’s why the young lad isn’t playing for him this year. He should have let it be.

They aren't allowed by the GAA to play U20 and be in the Senior panel at the same time. So I heard it as frustration with the rules rather than a go at the players.

They aren't allowed by the GAA to play U20 and be in the Senior panel at the same time. So I heard it as frustration with the rules rather than a go at the players.

Oh I heard that part alright. But he mentioned this as well:

“We have players who want to play for Donegal for the right reasons; players who are not looking to promote themselves. It is about the greater good of the team and that is something I have talked to the players about since we have come together.

“It is not about yourself, it is about the jersey and leaving it in a better place when you move on. At the end of the day you cannot have individuals in the setup who are out for themselves.”

That’s clearly directed at someone and in the article it was under the heading Aaron Doherty. Completely uncalled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Doherty isn't really on the senior panel and could play for the under 20's if he wanted.

Separately, i didn't realise that senior players could play for under 20's once they're knocked out of the seniors. Probably a fair enough rule but I'd say we'll struggle to beat Fermanagh with that rule.

doc_17 wrote:
    That’s clearly directed at someone and in the article it was under the heading Aaron Doherty. Completely uncalled for.

Read into it what you will, but I didn't see it as directed at any one player.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

I thought it pretty clearly was referring to Doherty

doc_17 wrote:

Unless it was creative journalism? But there were two headings....Oisin Gallen and that’s where the rules were discussed and then Aaron Doherty where self interest was discussed.

Maybe I’m reading too much into it and it could be referring to all of the players who are still eligible to play 20s but are training with the county. Good luck to them tonight anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

AARON DOHERTY

When asked about the situation regarding Aaron Doherty at last Friday evening’s press briefing in the Mount Errigal Hotel, where he was accompanied by team captain Peadar Mogan and vice-captain Paddy Dolan, the Donegal boss said:

“We have players who want to play for Donegal for the right reasons; players who are not looking to promote themselves. It is about the greater good of the team and that is something I have talked to the players about since we have come together.

“It is not about yourself, it is about the jersey and leaving it in a better place when you move on. At the end of the day you cannot have individuals in the setup who are out for themselves.

“We have a whole team ethos that we are very strong on as a management team.

“We have a captain and a team captain and they make sure the boys toe the line on the expectations we have on them both when they are in public and even when they are away from the group.

“We insist they have to carry them as if they were senior county players.”

Think it's fairly obviously it's about Aaron Doc. Poor form from McDaid really, needless criticism of one of our own.

Think U-20's may struggle tonight, mising Jay, OMcFF, Gallen, Aaron Doc. 3 of whom played last Sunday!

I am going off an interview with Charlie Collins only. I didn't hear anything else.

• Advertisement

Luke Gavigan is training with the seniors as well and he’s not on the panel.

Game is on the Highland Radio website in case anyone is looking for it.

Fermanagh up at half time

Not good by the sounds of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

doc_17 wrote: »
    Luke Gavigan is training with the seniors as well and he’s not on the panel.

Luke jnr is training with Donegal Senior squad?

raiders11 wrote: »
    Luke jnr is training with Donegal Senior squad?

Whether he’s in the squad proper or else padding it out when lads are away I’m not sure. But he’s been there in recent weeks.

So two from

Meath
    Galway
    Throne
    Mayo
    Laois
    Clare

to round out our Super 8 group.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

So two from

Meath
    Galway
    Throne
    Mayo
    Laois
    Clare

Clare and Laois please!

So two from

Meath
    Galway
    Throne
    Mayo
    Laois
    Clare

Meath cannot play Laois afaik, so getting both of them would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Anyone but Tyrone ffs.

• Advertisement

Draw will be as follows

Meath v Throne - again, and a lot will be written about that game and how Meath are improving all the time ... I'd love to play either team in Ballybofey tbh.

Cavan v Laois - hopefully both teams will have to change jersies

Galway v Mayo - obviously

Cork v Clare - Meh

Advertisement