Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Aye same, I’d back us against anyone at home but would take away from the novelty having Tyrone again. We always play them. Meath v Clare would be good and Galway v Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Anyone but Tyrone ffs.

Agreed, I think they're much better than they showed against us so wouldn't be that confident either.

Think galway might get their act together and would expect them to beat anyone but Tyrone.

Mayo in Ballybofey would be a great occasion. Plus I think they are very beatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Kildare were woeful tonight. Didn't see anything new from Throne, same issues with frees.

Of course, I was looking forward to last year's game in Ballybofey too and that turned out pretty badly. There is the whole issue around beating the same team twice in the same Championship too.

As Meath can't draw Laois, there is a 66.7% chance we open at home to Mayo or Throne IMHO.

Wouldn't be as dull as last year's Super 8 opener anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Kildare were woeful tonight. Didn't see anything new from Throne, same issues with frees.

Of course, I was looking forward to last year's game in Ballybofey too and that turned out pretty badly. There is the whole issue around beating the same team twice in the same Championship too.

As Meath can't draw Laois, there is a 66.7% chance we open at home to Mayo or Throne IMHO.

Wouldn't be as dull as last year's Super 8 opener anyway.

Last years game was a weird one though. Donegal were well in control until that goal, which I’m still sure was an attempt at a point that fell short and was knocked in. Then Tyrone started kicking balls in from the sideline to disrupt every time Donegal tried to get anything going, and generally made it very difficult to get anything going.

fullstop wrote:
    Last years game was a weird one though. Donegal were well in control until that goal, which I’m still was an attempt at a point that fell short and was knocked in. Then Tyrone started kicking balls in from the sideline to disrupt every time Donegal tried to get anything going.

We finished the game poorly/they finished strongly whatever way you look at it IMHO.

And surely a team managed by a man as pious as Mickey wouldn't resort to such tactics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Meath or Clare first
    Galway or Mayo away
    Cavan v Tyrone
    Cork v Laois

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭henke

Meath or Clare first
    Galway or Mayo away
    Cavan v Tyrone
    Cork v Laois

Not a bad draw at all. We will be expecting to beat Meath or Clare in Ballybofey and a good start is huge.

henke wrote:
    Not a bad draw at all. We will be expecting to beat Meath or Clare in Ballybofey and a good start is huge.

This. Going into Croke Park with a win is vital. Great opportunity to do it. Fancy us against either team.

As for the 3rd game, let's see what the weekend brings.

This. Going into Croke Park with a win is vital. Great opportunity to do it. Fancy us against either team.

As for the 3rd game, let's see what the weekend brings.

Could be a huge game in Croker. Good opportunity for us to win the first and Kerry going to Mayo/Galway first is a tough one for them so they could be heading to Croke Park for a must win game.

Meath will be tough, always wary of playing teams a few times a year. Anyway hard to see this group getting complacent and we should be able to make home advantage count.

Huge opportunity for us to get 2 points on the board and head to Dublin for what could be a decisive match v Kerry.

I'd fancy Galway to beat Mayo even though I would imagine Mayo are favorites. It would be some turnaround if we were to beat Galway and get to the semis just 2 years after that horror show in Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

henke wrote: »
    Could be a huge game in Croker. Good opportunity for us to win the first and Kerry going to Mayo/Galway first is a tough one for them so they could be heading to Croke Park for a must win game.
    Kerry will be at home to Galway/Mayo, not away.
    Agreed that this is a decent draw and a good opportunity to start with a win.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »

Yeah sorry thats right so I would give Kerry the edge to win that first one too. Croke Park game will be big. I wouldn't want to be going into the last game needing to win. Our third game will be tougher than Kerry's.

I'd say in the other group Dublin and Tyrone are nailed on for semi spots. Can't see a side that might upset that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Yeah sorry thats right so I would give Kerry the edge to win that first one too. Croke Park game will be big. I wouldn't want to be going into the last game needing to win. Our third game will be tougher than Kerry's.

I'd say in the other group Dublin and Tyrone are nailed on for semi spots. Can't see a side that might upset that.

Might be difficult for Cavan to get their act together after Clones, but if they lose Roscommon with Cox and some good shooters from distance could give Tyrone problems. Plus Roscommon will have them at home and should have beaten them in Hyde Park in the league.

Happy enough with our own possibilities even though I dislike playing the same team twice in such a short space of time should Meath come through.
    For our final game, neither Mayo or Galway have that good a home record.

Hearing Meath v Clare on RTE 2 Sunday @2. If true should be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭harpsman

Would have preferred Mayo/Galway at home and Meath/Laois away.

I know Mayo and Galway have been terrible at home in recent years but Id still be a bit worried, and certainly not as confident as most seem to be.

harpsman wrote: »
    Would have preferred Mayo/Galway at home and Meath/Laois away.

I know Mayo and Galway have been terrible at home in recent years but Id still be a bit worried, and certainly not as confident as most seem to be.

If it was Clare away I wouldn`t have minded, but I would be wary of Meath in Navan.

Neither Mayo or Galway`s home record is great and if Galway we would probably outnumber them support wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I would be aiming to win the first 2, then the away match is irrelevant. I know Kerry in Croker are a different animal but I would still be confident we can beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

I would be aiming to win the first 2, then the away match is irrelevant. I know Kerry in Croker are a different animal but I would still be confident we can beat them.

Even if we win our first two matches then there's a big chance we'd still need a result in our final game. I'd expect everyone to beat Meath or Clare.

Even if we win our first two matches then there's a big chance we'd still need a result in our final game. I'd expect everyone to beat Meath or Clare.

True you could have us beating Meath/Clare and Kerry first two games. Kerry beating Galway/Mayo first plus Meath/Clare last and then Galway/Mayo beating Meath/Clare second match and playing us last for a second win. In such a three way tie are all places decided on scoring difference?

Anyway I think we need to go out to win every game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

True you could have us beating Meath/Clare and Kerry first two games. Kerry beating Galway/Mayo first plus Meath/Clare last and then Galway/Mayo beating Meath/Clare second match and playing us last for a second win. In such a three way tie are all places decided on scoring difference?

You only need to go and look what happened to Galway last year to see that every game is important. They were the form team outside of Dublin, and destined to finish top of their group. Took their eye off the ball and put in a dismal performance against Monaghan in their last game, finished second and then flopped against Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

Hearing that the Super 8 fixtures are being released tomorrow.

henke wrote:
    In such a three way tie are all places decided on scoring difference?

3 way tie = scoring difference
    henke wrote:

Aye, for sure.

All are winnable based on form.

Donegal v Meath/Clare Sunday 14 July 2pm

Donegal v Meath/Clare Sunday 14 July 2pm

Source? And is there a date for the other games?

Its on GAA website, we're out two Sundays in a row, 4pm on the 21st

https://www.gaa.ie/news/fixture-details-for-all-ireland-football-and-hurling-quarter-finals/

Very good, didn't notice that Round 2 was also out.

Annoying thing is, its highly unlikely that we'll be televised on the first weekend as we clash with the hurling QF. Although maybe the BBC will show us

Annoying thing is, its highly unlikely that we'll be televised on the first weekend as we clash with the hurling QF. Although maybe the BBC will show us

BBC don't/can't show anything beyond Ulster.

BBC don't/can't show anything beyond Ulster.

I'm nearly sure they showed Ulster teams in Super 8's/ quarter finals in the past, but maybe thats wishful thinking

• Advertisement

Good stuff. Less coverage the better! :D

Advertisement