Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭agfasfos

overshoot wrote: »
    yep, with an absolutely mental week i never bought. Oops :/ see what i can dig up now im exiled in dublin
    Could well see the cavan crowd being double ours

Best of luck, hope you manage to get your hands on one. I got sorted through some friends in Donegal, I think Cavan are going to have massive support on the day, they’ve waited a long time for their big day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

charlie14 wrote: »
    Saw Peter Canavan`s very short piece in the Irish Independent today on Saturday`s semi. Seems we set up very defensively while Tyrone tried playing on the front foot. That was about the gist of it. I thought better of Canavan.
    Sorry now I gave him a spare ticket to the 92 final.
    Ever since the minors issue with Micheal Carroll a few years back I expect nothing else from Canavan. He's institutionalised and blinkered up there, it's never Throne, it's always someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

I’d say it’ll be a huge Cavan support on Sunday. The rally is on too so that could dampen support. I’d expect a limited number of tickets to go on sale online or in SuperValu on Wednesday or Thursday but they’ll be snapped up quickly.

Overriding message is.....join your local GAA club in Donegal!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Everyone drumming on about this Cavan support. Will it be any different to Monaghan in 2013 or Fermanagh last year?

Those games were never that much more than a 50/50 split as I recall. We always bring a good support and Sunday will be no different.

Everyone drumming on about this Cavan support. Will it be any different to Monaghan in 2013 or Fermanagh last year?

Those games were never that much more than a 50/50 split as I recall. We always bring a good support and Sunday will be no different.

Hope you’re right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,878 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Ever since the minors issue with Micheal Carroll a few years back I expect nothing else from Canavan. He's institutionalised and blinkered up there, it's never Throne, it's always someone else.

I had forgotten the Michael Carroll issue. I had always admired him as a footballer, but there was nothing to admire in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Fermanagh! Lol. Arlene and how many others?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Really looking forward to Sunday's game. Should be a good atmosphere and feeling confident enough.

Pretty incredible for Paddy to be playing in his 8th Ulster final at the age of 25. And if we win on Sunday we'll have won 5 Ulster's and an all Ireland this decade, which is as much as we won in our first 125 years too. Sometimes we can moan about every little thing but it's a good time to be a Donegal supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

If it's anything like 97 Cavan fans will outnumber Donegal. I was in the hill for Kerry match and never seen or heard anything like it.

Of course big factor will be if Cavan believe they can win. If they do expect huge travelling support.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    If it's anything like 97 Cavan fans will outnumber Donegal. I was in the hill for Kerry match and never seen or heard anything like it.

Of course big factor will be if Cavan believe they can win. If they do expect huge travelling support.

There will be no shortage of belief from Cavan supporters after putting Armagh to the sword. Even if they made it nervous for themselves letting Armagh back into it.

They will also feel that their time has come due to those 4 back to back Ulster U 21`s and now having a manager that managed a club to a Leinster title.
    They will be there in large numbers. I just hope our supporters do likewise. Although in the past few years I haven`t been too impressed with some of the support. With the number of times we have been in Clones since 2011 there seems to be some who think early rounds and even Clones is now beneath them and will only put their bums on Croke Park seats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Sometimes we can moan about every little thing but it's a good time to be a Donegal supporter.

No doubt about it, this is a golden era for Donegal football. You only have to look at Armagh who had a similar decade from 2000-2009 to realise that it won't last forever and we need to enjoy it while it lasts and get behind the boys.

charlie14 wrote: »
    With the number of times we have been in Clones since 2011 there seems to be some who think early rounds and even Clones is now beneath them and will only put their bums on Croke Park seats.

I'm not so sure. We had a sizeable support at clones for last year's final. There are hangers on in every county but we have traditionally always had a strong core support up there with most.

Let us not forget Donegal outnumbered Clare in Ennis in division 2 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

Cavan will absolutely believe they can beat us. Taking out last year’s All Ireland semi finalists and then beating a much improved Armagh team will give them great belief.

I'm not so sure. We had a sizeable support at clones for last year's final. There are hangers on in every county but we have traditionally always had a strong core support up there with most.

Let us not forget Donegal outnumbered Clare in Ennis in division 2 this year.

It was only a feeling, but I thought we were well outnumbered in Clones last year, and the support in the first game v Cavan in Ballybofey last year was poor enough. As was the last day against, especially Tyrone, in Breffni.

Good enough core support in the league and against Clare with it being so close to Galway where there are a fair few from Donegal studying and working helped.
    Hope we do turn up in number on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Beagslife

A nice article in The Examiner on Jim McGuinness. I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments. 
    Jimmy will be back winning matches in the future.

Worrying hype in the national meeja in the last week or so. I'm not paying it any heed.

I hope nobody in Donegal, players or supporters, are looking past Sunday. I don't think many are, in fairness. On paper at least, taking out Monaghan and Armagh isn't much less of feat than our path to the Final.

If we fire, we should be good enough to win. McKiernan was very good against us last year and Cavan have a few players back that didn't feature last year and probably have a better manager too. So I assume we won't take them lightly.

Time to avenge all those U21 defeats.

Not seeing that much hype to be honest other than we are expected to win. I'm confident in our players and management, they're fairly level headed and have lost enough of these days not to get carried away.

Hopefully we can deliver a performance and if they do that, we shouldn't be far away from winning a 10th ulster title.

This week has dragged.

Is it Sunday yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

A fascinating battle in store on Sunday.
    I believe we will attack the Cavan kickout looking to gain a strong foothold around the middle. Galligan's footwork is poor and he struggles to disguise his kickouts. I suspect Cavan will drop off ours having seen what we did to Tyrone. If they push up I think our runners will cause havoc.
    Against Tyrone we went for the jugular from the off. The team selection was a statement of intent. If Cavan leave the same space in the right side of defence that they did against Armagh we will be out of sight by half time. For this reason I believe they will adopt a more cautious approach and attempt to frustrate us early on.
    I would be deligjhted to see Bán pick up McVeety. It would be a statement that we intend to attack them where they are strongest. However it is more likely Paddy will be given that task. Against Armagh their half backs pushed forward at every opportunity. We will look to exploit the spaces they leave and for this reason Ryan may start further up the field.
    When McKiernan goes inside it's likely McMenamin will be responsible for him. Out the field will be more interesting. Last year he caused us difficulty with pace and strength. Hugh struggled with him but Hugh is playing a different role nowadays.
    They have two good man markers in McLaughlin and Faulkner but the still coughed up goal chances in their previous games. If we create that space for our runners we will score heavily.
    These are great times to be a Donegal supporter. Normally I wouldn't begrudge Cavan a win but this Donegal team needs to win on Sunday to move a step closer to where we think they can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

Minors well beat by Monaghan. Surely we are better than that. Ive a feeling the line have something to do with it.

• Advertisement

Minors well beat by Monaghan. Surely we are better than that. Ive a feeling the line have something to do with it.

He’s a spoofer. Can be doing much better. Need a serious look at what we’re doing at that age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

He’s a spoofer. Can be doing much better. Need a serious look at what we’re doing at that age group.

How did he get the job? Surely his CV hadnt anything too impressive on it. I know he was with Steelstown in Derry for a while. More importantly how is he keeping it? Surely we have better to offer within the County

How did he get the job? Surely his CV hadnt anything too impressive on it. I know he was with Steelstown in Derry for a while. More importantly how is he keeping it? Surely we have better to offer within the County

Not sure. But very surprised he kept it after the shambles last year.

I’d say that’s it now though.

Not seeing that much hype to be honest other than we are expected to win. I'm confident in our players and management, they're fairly level headed and have lost enough of these days not to get carried away.

Hopefully we can deliver a performance and if they do that, we shouldn't be far away from winning a 10th ulster title.

We were ambushed by Monaghan in 2013 at the same stage, I expect Cavan will be given the height of respect by the Donegal management and players, we're a better team, want to make sure we turn up on the day.

What are the conditions due to be like tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Looks like there will be plenty of rain for the game unfortunately.

tanko wrote:
    Looks like there will be plenty of rain for the game unfortunately.

Like it was when we beat Cavan in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Like it was when we beat Cavan in 2012.

The 2012 championship game in Breffni was a nice dry day if i remember right.

tanko wrote:
    The 2012 championship game in Breffni was a nice dry day if i remember right.

Maybe I am thinking of 2011, when Michael was sent off.

Subsequently overturned.

A good day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What are the conditions due to be like tomorrow?

It will be warm, dry and dull. No rain until evening.

Advertisement