Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

And another thing...Jamie Brennan was very quiet, wasn't he? Well marked? He seemed to play quite deep.

Gallen did ok, 2 points, 1 from a mark, wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    And another thing...Jamie Brennan was very quiet, wasn't he? Well marked? He seemed to play quite deep.

Gallen did ok, 2 points, 1 from a mark, wasn't it?

Yeah Gallen looks a prospect.
    The use of Brennan today mystified me. At one stage on their kick out he was situated at corner back.

O'Donnell Park. St Eunans home ground.

The graveyard of Donegal GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Where is Paddy McGrath? We need a bit of experience to tackle what muck we will have to play against in thon place.

Togged out doing Major Uisce looking totally disgusted.

Togged out doing Major Uisce looking totally disgusted.

I was thinking it was him. Looked taller. Right to be disgusted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Ah sure don't be panicking lads, the boys are keeping their powder dry for when the championship comes around .........

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Think posters are maybe over reacting a tad to that result today. In fairness it was bad like, but it's still early days.

Being honest, I don't think Declan Bonner is bothered about the league - No one boasts about winning the national league when they finish their career.

They'll scrape promotion I would say, and judgement should be passed come championship, not on a league campagin fielding half a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I think you are being unfair on young McCole. Sweeney is a fine player and he kept him to a point. The problems were further out the field with our half back line and midfielders not picking up the runners. We also defended poorly letting the ball carrier cut back inside far too often.
    Despite that we controlled the game for the best part of an hour despite never getting out of third gear. We were cruising to a victory until the horror show of the second and third goals, this was despite the missed penalty and a soft goal conceeded from their first attack.
    I'm not as despondant as some others about today. If we had closed out the game playing like that we would have learnt nothing. I expect us to respond accordingly and the young lads to learn a valuable lesson from today.
    However, it's Letterkenny next.
    Yeah look I'm not blaming Cole for the defeat far from it, as you say the game was lost further out the field. I just don't remember him winning one ball played in to Sweeney that's all, he seemed to be a yard behind him all day and the only reason Sweeney scored only one point was that his kicking was rubbish.
    As RSF said, Langan and McGee are too lightweight in midfield, we have a real problem there. I know it's only the league and this was my first viewing of the team this year so am not getting too bothered by it but even before the two farcical goals in the second half we were showing signs of really not knowing what we were doing or being focused on the game.
    At least Leo came on so can mark the ton against his old pal.
    I think the young lad Gallen got three points in the end, had one in the second half to add to his two in the first so that's a decent return. I thought Jamie was good in patches but definitely played quite deep for much of the game. When he got on the ball he looked good but I didn't see much of him in the second half.
    It was a very young and inexperienced team so hopefully they can take something from this and put it to good use in the next match.

Heading to Carrick tomorrow to see the old enemy. They seem to be written off in most quarters and are currently 11/4 to win the match. Gaoth Dobhair men are a breed apart and will really fancy their chances of causing an upset.
    If the pitch in Carrick has dried out sufficiently to allow them to move the ball at pace they can come out on top.
    Corofin tend to defend in quite a traditional manner and we saw what happened when Cross tried to do the same thing.

Was planning to go, but life got in the way.

It has got the makings of a really good game. Corofin are a very slick outfit and have the experience on this stage. But you get the impression Gaoth Dobhair have nothing to lose, and have plenty of football in them.

Ãdh mór ár Gaoth Dobhair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Very enjoyable game of football, Corofin too good unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Fair play, they gave it a good rattle and got it back to two points late on.Second Corofin goal was the killer, plus Corofin were that bit cuter. Especially drawing fouls.

I never thought I would feel sorry for Gaoth Dobhair.
    Congratulations to Corofin, most of the game was played on their terms, but Gaoth Dobhair will come away from that game thinking about what could have been. There were a number of incidents in the first half which had a major influence on the outcome of the game. Gaoth Dobhair had a bad miss from a free and never again had a chance to lead. There was a cheap turnover which led to the first Corofin goal. There was a very nasty hit to the head on Michael Carroll after the whistle had gone which wasn't punished and there was the final free to Corofin to put them four points up which was clearly a free out.
    Overall they will be very disappointed with their discipline. There must have been at least five frees moved into easily scorable positions for dissent. They also lost shape on their own kick outs giving Chris Sweeney no options because of the lack of movement.
    There use of their bench was also questionable, in particular when you consider the impact James Carroll had.
    When the dust settles though, I'm sure they will look back at their season with pride and with the age profile of their team they may well get another opportunity.
    Finally, if I never see Maurice Deegan and his ego ref another game it will be too soon.

A real shame the run has come to an end. Can point to different things today but look Corofin were just better and that’s pretty much it. They’ve done their county (and far more importantly) their parish proud.

We’ve all had our issues about Cassidy and the compete guff he’s had in the papers (mainly about Jim) in recent times but it’s great he’s written a new chapter for himself now with his on field performances.

He is one of the finest footballers Donegal has ever produced and I’m delighted that a new younger generation have had the opportunity to see him as he really should be viewed - a warrior on the field.

Well done Gaoth Dobhair.

Proud of the boys and the effort they put in yesterday, it just wasn't quite enough. Down the middle summed it up quite well. Deegan really loves himself, what an ego that man has. The support for the team was fantastic on what was quite an emotional day. Like Nidge I would like to pay a special mention to Cass, he was inspirational yesterday, it was a privilege to watch him.
    Maith na lads, bhi blian ar doigh againne.

Looks like David Brady will be guaranteed as warm a welcome in Gaoth Dobhair as Roy Curtis if either gob****e ever decides to visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

He comes out with some stupid rubbish but he's got himself a new number 1 on that list now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

What did Curtis say?

What did Curtis say?

Spouting his usual guff and Neil / DV started taking the hand on twitter.

Curtis, being the loser that he is, penned an open letter to Neil McGee. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

Was at the game, Gaoth Dobhair couldn’t their own kickouts in the second half and there didn’t appear to be any plan to redress that.

This might be slightly unpopular but there is one man who seems to live informing us that he is out drinking! Maybe it’s time to grow up?

• Advertisement

doc_17 wrote: »
    This might be slightly unpopular but there is one man who seems to live informing us that he is out drinking! Maybe it’s time to grow up?

You are David Brady and I claim my prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

Looks like Odhran ain’t gonna play much for us. Taking the rest of the league off. Earlier rumours reinforced by this

doc_17 wrote: »
    Looks like Odhran ain’t gonna play much for us. Taking the rest of the league off. Earlier rumours reinforced by this

I'm ok with that.

As long as he's here for the summer then that's the main thing.

Well, Gaoth Dobhair certainly gave a good account of themselves. Only they will really know if they could have done better, looking on from my armchair, it seemed like they underperformed. Corofin were better able to punish turnovers, they blocked a fair few passes/shots and generally just looked that bit cuter as well. Truth was, I would put them as favourites for this summer's Ulster Championship if they entered. Hard to tell from TV, but I assume they had the Gaoth Dobhair kick out under huge pressure. But what happened in the 2nd half at the very point where Corofin began to get back on top I will never know - uncontested marks on your own kick out? Dia Sabhail!

Anyway, what I would be interested in hearing from those who were there was how the County players performed? Other than the opening score, I don't recall Daire O'Baoil contributing much. His midfield partner did some nice things, but his performance reminded me too much of what I have seen from him in a County jersey. Was very disappointed in Mulligan - was he carrying an injury perhaps? Didn't seem to have that burst of pace that I would associate with him. Carroll was involved, but couldn't tell if he had huge impact. McFadden Ferry, who could be a good addition to the panel made one great tackle, and then gave away an obvious free. Would fit in very well...

As for our full back, it feels like this might be it for him.

I am no fan of Cassidy since 2011, but what a bull of a man. If certain players we had on our panel could play like that, wow. Maybe it's easy to do it in bursts, but boy was he effective. Shame that there wasn't always someone to feed off him, and maybe he is a wee bit one dimensional in the role. Still, if Gaoth Dobhair had managed to shade it, he was an obvious man of the match.

Discipline was shocking - Sice probably would have scored most of those frees anyway, but the back chat turned them into the 'kick it over yourself ref' types.

Still, what a great run. Would be nice to see more of it, by Gaoth Dobhair themselves or pretty much anyone else from the County. It's a shame the latter stages are buried in the middle of the National League, but that's the GAA.

Anyway, on Sunday, another team in Green will run out to a warm welcome in Letterkenny. Good luck to anyone brave enough to go. Not a hope will I be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

So no gweedore players for Sunday and McGrath, McGlynn and Murphy are still out.

Guess it'll be a similar team to Tipperary.

Anyway, what I would be interested in hearing from those who were there was how the County players performed? Other than the opening score, I don't recall Daire O'Baoil contributing much. His midfield partner did some nice things, but his performance reminded me too much of what I have seen from him in a County jersey. Was very disappointed in Mulligan - was he carrying an injury perhaps? Didn't seem to have that burst of pace that I would associate with him. Carroll was involved, but couldn't tell if he had huge impact. McFadden Ferry, who could be a good addition to the panel made one great tackle, and then gave away an obvious free. Would fit in very well...

As for our full back, it feels like this might be it for him.

Daire had a quiet game. Odhran was good at times but in fairness to Corofin they did a good job on him. Cian was really good in the first half, he scored two cracking points and got on a lot of ball. In the second half he didn't contribute as much and at times I do think he could run ahead of the ball a bit more - he keeps cutting back inside taking little pop passes. However he was on one of their best players and I thought it was a decent battle between the two. Carroll was solid enough I thought whilst Odhran Eile was quieter than usual, again I think Corofin did their homework on him and kept the ball away from him. Neil was dragged away from goal a fair bit in the first half, leaving us exposed there. I'm not sure if the management didn't trust him on Burke (who tbf would have the legs on him) but it's fair to say that Burke made hay, especially in that first half.
    Overall I think the boys were maybe a bit leggy in the first half but to be fair to them, they really dug deep and found something extra, it's just that they came up against a top quality side who know how to win games and played to a plan that was well thought out.

Big Durcs is back training with the squad I see, would love to have him back involved again.

Great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Who is he playing club football with?

• Advertisement

PAPA!

Advertisement