Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Yes. Who cares. Let the Northern Ireland and Monaghan GAA Writers Association give awards to whoever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

meh.

Just goes to show how little these awards should mean. A load of myopic anoraks sitting around a table spouting sh*te.

The only awards I ever gave much credence too was the All Stars, but that is also a bit of a farce nowadays. Eoghan Bán being shafted to find a spot for Colm Cavanagh being just the latest example.

That being said, the least I would expect is that journalists covering the sport, especially provincially, would have, if not some knowledge of the sport, at least a half decent memory of the year gone by.

Sounds like Red Hughs are out of their depth. 3 points from frees in the 1st half and sin é.

A better second half but no All Ireland Final.

Over to ye Gaoth Dobhair.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Irelandfan1990

Anyone know if there is a bus been run to Clare on Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Yes Supporters club organising buses

Anyone want a ticket for Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Anyone want a ticket for Sunday?

Possibly. Need to ring Season ticket crowd tomorrow morning, let you know mid morning if that’s ok?

Edit* at very least can take it and get it scanned in any event.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

I haven’t received my season ticket yet. Bought it early December

Possibly. Need to ring Season ticket crowd tomorrow morning, let you know mid morning if that’s ok?

Edit* at very least can take it and get it scanned in any event.

No problem, can have it with me in any case.

• Advertisement

Freezing down here. Defence is poor but we have plenty of firepower. Clare setting up with everyone in their own half and we aren't showing much invention in breaking through.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

Freezing down here. Defence is poor but we have plenty of firepower. Clare setting up with everyone in their own half and we aren't showing much invention in breaking through.

Cheers RSF.

A win is a win.... More later

That was a slog. And very cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

We were lacking options from the bench. Not a great day for you O’Donnell shooting wise but he kept showing. Worth the journey alone to see Brennan.

The good - winning away from home without Micheal, Paddy, Frank, Odhran, Neil McGee or the game breaking option that is Cian Mulligan available.

The bad - hard to know if a performance like that will be good enough to win more games in Division 2.

Hard to say that anyone really played that well from start to finish. Ryan probably didn't do much wrong and Hugh McFadden got through a lot of work. Jame Brennan was good at times. McGonagle struck the ball well, unlucky to hit the post with his second effort. Took a mark well. Langan was a very peripheral figure at full forward. After a few nice shots in the 1st half, Ciaran Thompson was very poor in the 2nd half. O'Donnell did some things well, but I still don't know what to make of him.

Our tackling is awful. Really terrible. You would think that Karl Lacey might be able to coach them up a bit.

We didn't create one goal chance that I can recall - Jamie might have gone for one but given we were struggling to score at all for a lot of the 2nd half, he probably made the right choice.

I dunno, maybe we did only as much as we needed to, but the cold and crappy shooting made for an uncomfortable 2nd half at times.

Top of the table clash in Fortress MacCumhaill next week, if we can win that we will be in good shape for the trip to Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Even the hurlers couldn't win in Letterkenny.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

What?? Donegal got beaten by Kildare, a team that won the Christy Ring trophy last year, and a division (at least) ahead of Donegal historically. Donegal led at half time, and were eventually beaten - but to sneer that 'even the Donegal hurlers couldn't win' is the remark of someone who knows fcuk all about hurling at a national level. Donegal have progressed hugely, and continue to do so. Gob****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

What?? Donegal got beaten by Kildare, a team that won the Christy Ring trophy last year, and a division (at least) ahead of Donegal historically. Donegal led at half time, and were eventually beaten - but to sneer that 'even the Donegal hurlers couldn't win' is the remark of someone who knows fcuk all about hurling at a national level. Donegal have progressed hugely, and continue to do so. Gob****e.

Calm the cacks there, it was a joke about the fact that the footballers never win in Letterkenny, not a slight on the hurlers

• Advertisement

:eek: I'm guessing you're not a Donegal man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

The good - winning away from home without Micheal, Paddy, Frank, Odhran, Neil McGee or the game breaking option that is Cian Mulligan available.

The bad - hard to know if a performance like that will be good enough to win more games in Division 2.

Hard to say that anyone really played that well from start to finish. Ryan probably didn't do much wrong and Hugh McFadden got through a lot of work. Jame Brennan was good at times. McGonagle struck the ball well, unlucky to hit the post with his second effort. Took a mark well. Langan was a very peripheral figure at full forward. After a few nice shots in the 1st half, Ciaran Thompson was very poor in the 2nd half. O'Donnell did some things well, but I still don't know what to make of him.

Our tackling is awful. Really terrible. You would think that Karl Lacey might be able to coach them up a bit.

We didn't create one goal chance that I can recall - Jamie might have gone for one but given we were struggling to score at all for a lot of the 2nd half, he probably made the right choice.

I dunno, maybe we did only as much as we needed to, but the cold and crappy shooting made for an uncomfortable 2nd half at times.

Top of the table clash in Fortress MacCumhaill next week, if we can win that we will be in good shape for the trip to Tipp.

i wouldnt be so harsh , when you drop down a division the standard drops considerably , i know form our hurlers getting into dog fights early on in the year when playing the likes of offaly laois and carlows in division 1b , who would all have excellent individual players but would be lacking overall

most of the games your going to find will be dog fights , kildare and meath usually play open football and not as cynical as us today and armagh are flying at the moment so restically all 3 of them games will be really close for ye also

but to be fair ye are missing half a team at the moment , a bit like ballybofey for ye ennis is a bit of a fortress for us , under the current set up we have held our own here against the likes of mayo and kerry in championship our biggest defeat was around 6 points to mayo a few years back ,so kicking 11 points from play with an experimental side is not that bad for this time of year

to be fair both jamie brennan and ryan mchugh were excellent , brennan is a handful while mchugh is a very intelligent payer probably being groomed as frank mcglynns replacement in time

but i taught bonner and carl lacey were sharp on the line , clare got off to a good start in the first 8 or 9 minutes in the second half the 3 substitutions he made curbed any chance of a shock and pretty much killed the game off

every game is going to be a dog fight at this level but the most important thing is to grind it out and get back up to division 1 as quickly as possible

Desperate news coming from the three parishes today. Always felt given the age profile they could well be GAA people.

Condolences to Cloughaneeley and Gaoth Dobhair.

RIP.

but i taught bonner and carl lacey were sharp on the line , clare got off to a good start in the first 8 or 9 minutes in the second half the 3 substitutions he made curbed any chance of a shock and pretty much killed the game off

Hmmmm...I didn't think McElhinney, McLoone or McMenamin offered much. It was as much about necessity as anything - Paul Brennan was in danger of a 2nd yellow, Eoghan Ban looked gassed and McGonagle may have been injured.
    every game is going to be a dog fight at this level but the most important thing is to grind it out and get back up to division 1 as quickly as possible

Well yes, and I don't think we set the world alight in Division Two in 2011 or 2014. And, you can make up any number of excuses for a poor performance, including the classic 'hard training'.

I'm ok with an unimpressive league if it leads to a better summer. Last year, we got lots of plaudits for our displays in the league (despite winning only one game) and then ended up beating nobody much in the Championship, fizzling out badly against Throne. I didn't see anything on Sunday to suggest this year will be much different, but I probably shouldn't be expecting much in January either.

A lot of those younger players will probably take a lot from Sunday. We were missing a lot of experience, but we held our nerve.

Desperate news coming from the three parishes today. Always felt given the age profile they could well be GAA people.

Condolences to Cloughaneeley and Gaoth Dobhair.

RIP.

Is le croí trom a dhéanann CLG Chloich Cheann Fhaola an ráiteas seo mar gheall ar an tragóid uafasách a tharla le gairid inár cailleadh baill luachmhar dár bpobal agus dár gclub - John Harley, Daniel Scott, Shaun Harkin agus Míchael Roarty. Is mór an ábhar bróin dúinne go bhfuil orainn ár gcomhbhrón a dhéanamh le teaghlaigh na fir bhreátha seo. Nuair a tháinig an nuacht thubáisteach chun solais, tháinig muid le chéile mar chlub le tacú le comhimreoirí, baill den chlub agus cairde na fir seo. Mar chlub beidh muid ansin le tacú agus le cuidiú le teaghlaigh agus cairde na fir seo ag an am thar a bheith truacánta seo. Ní féidir é a chur isteach i bhfocla an bhearna agus an briseadh croí atá le mothú anseo san fhóchumann san am i láthair; ach caithfidh muid a bheith láidir do teaghlaigh agus cairde na gasúirí seo a d'imigh uainn go tragóideach. John Harley: Fear a raibh nádúr an cheannaire go smior ann agus a raibh meas air agus grá dó ar an pháirc imeartha agus taobh amuigh den pháirc imeartha. Bhí sé mar chaptaen ar fhoireann sinsear Chloich Cheann Fhaola in 2016-2017 agus ar foirne éagsúla faoi aois thar na blianta. Bhí sé lárnach i ngach foireann a raibh baint aige leo. D'éirigh leis Gradam Imreoir na Bliana a thabhairt leis in 2017, gradam a bhí tuillte go maith aige. Bhí sé le cáiliú mar leictreoir níos moille i mbliana; post ina raibh sé thar a bheith díograiseach ann.
    Daniel Scott: Ball luachmhar dár gclub a d'imir ag gach leibheáil ó faoi aois go sinsear. Bhí sé ina ball dhílis de gach foireann a raibh baint aige leo agus beidh bearna millteanach ann gan é. Bhí sé thar a bheith duthráchtach ina phost i dtionscal na tógala, post a thug go ceithre hairde an domhain mhór é agus an Danmhairg ar an áit is deireanaí a bhí sé le cuairt a thabhairt uirthi.
    Shaun Harkin: Ball luachmhar de phobal Chloich Cheann Fhaola a bhí ann Shaun, fear a thug tacaíocht mhór dá gcairde agus iad ag imirt do CLG Chloich Cheann Fhaola; ba mhinic é le feiceáil ag tabhairt síobanna daofa chuig traenáil agus a leithéid. Bhí sé i mbun oiliúint le bheith ina leictreoir chomh maith; post ina raibh sé thar a bheith tiomanta inti.
    Míchael Roarty: Rinne Mícheal ionadaíocht do Dhún na nGall ag leibheál na mionúr agus d'éirigh leis Craobh na hÉireann a bhaint amach le foireann na nGairmscoileanna chomh maith. Ba bhall bródúil de CLG Ghaoth Dobhair a bhí ann agus ba mhaith linne mar chlub ár gcomhbhrón a chur in iúl daofasan agus Clann Uí Rabhartaigh ar fad ag an am chrua seo.
    Ar dheis lámh Dé go raibh siad.
    CLG Chloich Cheann Fhaola wish to make the following statement with regards to the recent tragic loss of much valued community and club members- John Harley, Daniel Scott, Shaun Harkin & Míchael Roarty. We are deeply saddened to have to pay our deepest sympathies to the families of these four fine young men. As the tragic news unfolded and we learned of the loss of life it was with a great sadness that we came together this morning as a club to support fellow players, club members and friends; to grieve together and to share our own stories and memories of our much loved friends. As a club we will rally around the families and friends of the deceased at this difficult time. Words cannot express the sense of loss and devastation being felt by all at CLG Chloich Cheann Fhaola; but we must be strong for one another and for the families of the boys who have so tragically passed on.
    John Harley: (Pictured below 1) with his brother Mark and Grandmother Mary after winning Comortas Peile na Gaeltacht County Title; 2) Receiving his Player of the year award in 2017 ). A natural born leader and massively respected and loved by all both on and off the pitch. He captained Cloughaneely seniors in 2016-2017 and also captained various teams at underage level. He was an integral part of every team he was part of. He was awarded player of the year in 2017. He was due to qualify as an electrician later this year; a job which he was greatly dedicated to. His charming presence and sense of humour around the clubhouse and pitch will be sadly missed by us all.
    Daniel Scott: (pictured 3 below; back row 2nd from left) A valued member of the club playing at all underage levels right up to senior. He was a most valued member of every team he played for and will be sorely missed. Daniel was dedicated to his work in the construction industry; a job which carried him to many places around the globe, with Denmark being his most recent placement.
    Shaun Harkin: Shaun was a valued member of the Cloughaneely community and very supportive of his many friends who played for Cloughaneely; and was frequently seen driving his friends to training. He was also in training to be an electrician; a job he was greatly committed to.
    Míchael Roarty: Represented Donegal at minor level and is also an All-Ireland vocational schools winner. He was a friend and comrade to many of our club players. He was a proud member of Clg Gaoth Dobhair and we as a club wish to extend our sympathies to them and to the entire Roarty family at this difficult time.
    Our thoughts and prayers with their families & friends at this time. Rest in Peace boys.
    NOTICE: For the wake of John Harley there will be a shuttle bus system in place. Parking is located at Sweeneys Car Garage at Ray Bridge and at the Chapel car park where buses will transfer people to and from the house. Wake begins tomorrow (Tuesday) from 11 am. Funeral Thursday at 1 pm

Meath team named for tonight's game. Think we could see 1 or 2 changes to our starting 15 tonight with likes of stephen mcmenamine and mcelhinney possibly starting

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtXlpa5Bb_-/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=tdt8k6v5ouhd

Very happy to fall over the line tonight. It has been a very difficult week for a number of those associated with the squad and it was a big ask for some of them tonight.
    Winning ugly tells you something about the mentality in the squad. There were plenty of mistakes but that win will do some of the young lads the power of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

We kinda stole that one. We were not at the races really until the last quarter. After the past week understandable where young lads minds may not have been fully focused. Credit to them to stick at it and finish the way they did. That will stand to them going forward.

Didn't play well tonight but still did enough to get the win which can never be a bad complaint. Thought introduction of mcmenamine helped tonight he picked up a bit of the dirty ball around midfield and broke up few attacks too

Another big away trip next week looking forward to the visit to semple stadium

• Advertisement

Floodlight robbery.

Advertisement