Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Missed the game, but caught it on Highland. Good to get the win in whatever circumstances although doesn't sound like it was much better than the performance in Ennis?

Anyway, the way this division is panning out so far means that a win in Thurles next weekend leaves us in a great position with plenty of reinforcements to arrive, although the rumours continue about who may or may not be back from the County champions.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

We were very poor. I won't get into tactics or whatever but our basic skills were so far off what they needed to be. Lost count of the amount of unforced turnovers and sloppy handling throughout the evening.

We were a beaten docket were it not for the fortuitous goal and fair play to big Campbell for following it up, he showed plenty of drive all evening.

Ended up being a quite exciting finale after that and forgot about the previous hour of garbage. Was almost a championship type feel to it coming down injury time.

We've plenty of work to be getting on with anyway. If we can get a result in Semple Stadium we're in a really strong position with 3 home games left and our better players due back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

We were very poor. I won't get into tactics or whatever but our basic skills were so far off what they needed to be. Lost count of the amount of unforced turnovers and sloppy handling throughout the evening.

We were a beaten docket were it not for the fortuitous goal and fair play to big Campbell for following it up, he showed plenty of drive all evening.

Ended up being a quite exciting finale after that and forgot about the previous hour of garbage. Was almost a championship type feel to it coming down injury time.

We've plenty of work to be getting on with anyway. If we can get a result in Semple Stadium we're in a really strong position with 3 home games leftand our better players due back.

I would be inclined to look at it as 2 away, 2home and O`Donnell Park at best a neutral venue.

Was it McGonagle rather than Campbell?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Is Anthony Thompson in the Donegal squad this year?

• Advertisement

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Was it McGonagle rather than Campbell?

Yes. Apologies, I’m forever mixing those two up.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Glenman wrote: »
    Is Anthony Thompson in the Donegal squad this year?

I doubt it although I can't remember him retiring. He was fairly off the pace last year and there are better younger options available.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

charlie14 wrote: »
    I would be inclined to look at it as 2 away, 2home and O`Donnell Park at best a neutral venue.

hear hear

Leo closing in on 100 games.

Give him the weekend off in Thurles.

Play him in Letterkenny. Sub him on or off.

Let whatever crowd is there give him a standing ovation. Make sure thon charlatan knows it.

Give Paddy the 100th in Thurles. At least I'll be there.

Leo closing in on 100 games.

Give him the weekend off in Thurles.

Play him in Letterkenny. Sub him on or off.

Let whatever crowd is there give him a standing ovation. Make sure thon charlatan knows it.

Give Paddy the 100th in Thurles. At least I'll be there.

If Leo doesn't play in Thurles he'll hit 99 against vomit in LK.

• Advertisement

If Leo doesn't play in Thurles he'll hit 99 against vomit in LK.

Aye. I read Peter Campbell wrong.

He should play in both games so.

So regardless of the result today, our next game versus Fermanagh in Letterkenny will be a top of the table clash!

We should get another win today. It would be nice if we created a few goal chances but hopefully we can be a bit more consistent than the first two games.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Triboro

The team named for today at all?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Is it on the TV ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Stoner wrote: »
    Is it on the TV ?

No.

This is today's telly schedule on TG4

Allianz Football League
    Monaghan v Galway – LIVE @ 1.30pm
    Roscommon v Tyrone – DEFERRED @ 3.45pm
    Clare v Cork – DEFERRED @ 5.15pm

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Sound, I saw that in the TV thread afterwards, handy enough.

Would that Murphy Sports Streaming channel show the Donegal game I wonder.

I'll have a look

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Three up at half time, should be more, Jamie missed penalty. Pitch is brutal, players slipping everywhere. Thompson and Langan impressed at times and good to see Eoghan Ban strolling up the pitch, he looks class on the ball. Overall though I think we're playing well within ourselves, Tipperary are poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

jesus, what happened in the second half?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭doc_17

We were awful in ennis and Ballybofey. This was coming

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

It was bad enough not being able to score goals without giving them away cheap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

That's as bad as I've seen us in a long time, brutal second half. Let's be honest, Tipperary are very poor and how we contrived to lose that I don't know! I don't like to judge a lad on one showing but Brendan McCole was hopeless today.

Pure ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Triboro

Way too casual, took Tipp too lightly.

That 2nd half was nothing short of a disgrace.

Worst we’ve been in a long, long time. That was the nightmarish Donegal of old rearing it’s ugly head.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

Pure ****e.

Not your usual level of loquaciousness. But sometimes less words are enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    That's as bad as I've seen us in a long time, brutal second half. Let's be honest, Tipperary are very poor and how we contrived to lose that I don't know! I don't like to judge a lad on one showing but Brendan McCole was hopeless today.

I think you are being unfair on young McCole. Sweeney is a fine player and he kept him to a point. The problems were further out the field with our half back line and midfielders not picking up the runners. We also defended poorly letting the ball carrier cut back inside far too often.
    Despite that we controlled the game for the best part of an hour despite never getting out of third gear. We were cruising to a victory until the horror show of the second and third goals, this was despite the missed penalty and a soft goal conceeded from their first attack.
    I'm not as despondant as some others about today. If we had closed out the game playing like that we would have learnt nothing. I expect us to respond accordingly and the young lads to learn a valuable lesson from today.
    However, it's Letterkenny next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Hi, not sure if anyone will know but if your hurlers were down to play in Letterkenny, where exactly would that be?

Hi, not sure if anyone will know but if your hurlers were down to play in Letterkenny, where exactly would that be?

O'Donnell Park. St Eunans home ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

O'Donnell Park. St Eunans home ground.

Sound, thanks.

• Advertisement

I'm not as despondant as some others about today. If we had closed out the game playing like that we would have learnt nothing. I expect us to respond accordingly and the young lads to learn a valuable lesson from today.
    However, it's Letterkenny next.

Fair enough. But it's not like the warning signs weren't there in the previous two games. If it takes an embarrassing loss like that to make a point to some of these players, well, so be it. And there is no shame in losing away to Tipperary, but to lose in that manner, is embarrassing. 3 points in the 2nd half? Awful. And there are now even more serious concerns about our defence. Fair enough, no Neil McGee or Frank McGlynn, but neither of those are likely to be around next year, and you would wonder how much impact they will have this year as it is.

Wtf Hugh McFadden and then Eoin McHugh were at I don't know. McHugh was so bad - it's was already heart in the mouth stuff when he collected the kick out where he did, but to do what he did next....I don't know.

Why was Ryan McHugh shaping up as if to take the penalty only for Brennan to step up?

Niall O'Donnell showed well and did some good things. Two bad efforts with his left in the first half.

I didn't think McCole did that badly either. Our problems defending go way deeper.

Langan and Jason McGee are too lightweight.

Physical conditioning and fitness in general looks way off what it needs to be. That can be built up of course, and I sure hope it's being worked on.

Declan dare not lose the next game. I suspect we will see Murphy and Frank McGlynn back. Where is Paddy McGrath? We need a bit of experience to tackle what muck we will have to play against in thon place.

Advertisement