Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

Buncrana promoted to Div.2. Naomh Bríd will feel very hard done by

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Buncrana promoted to Div.2. Naomh Bríd will feel very hard done by

But it would be ok for Buncrana to feel hard done by?

Head to head, can’t see what they have to moan about.

Ollieboy wrote: »

The county board not being clear in there regulations. But yeah agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

Of course they should feel hard done by. For the last few seasons, the league has been played on the basis of scoring difference being the tie-breaker between teams finishing level on points. This as laid down by the County Board.

So on the rules as laid out by the County Board and played under all season, Killybegs and Naomh Brid finished 1st and 2nd and should have been promoted. Instead of accepting their fate, Buncrana went down the off the field route. Why did they not highlight the issue at the start of the league? Very poor form by Buncrana.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,902 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

That`s fair enough in championship where everyone knows every game is a one off taker take all. But the league shouldn`t be that. It is supposed to be based on the results of all all games played. Position at the end of a league campaign should stand and when two teams end up equal on points it should then be decided on scoring difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

charlie14 wrote: »
    That`s fair enough in championship where everyone knows every game is a one off taker take all. But the league shouldn`t be that. It is supposed to be based on the results of all all games played. Position at the end of a league campaign should stand and when two teams end up equal on points it should then be decided on scoring difference.

Typical anti inshowen rubbish, the county board didn’t set out any rules if level and central council agreed. As usual a southern county board mess up again and it’s Buncranas fault. This is the same county board that refused the query from Buncrana in the first place and also embarrassed the county when playing the Dubs in croke Park during the summer looking for a ruling on a neutral venue.

So each team got the chance to play off against each other in winner take all. I don’t think you can say fairer then that!

And just to state a fact, if we had decent refs in the county that didn’t always go against teams from the Northern part of the county, Buncrana would have won the league easily.

And just to state a fact, if we had decent refs in the county that didn’t always go against teams from the Northern part of the county, Buncrana would have won the league easily.

Ah come on man dear. I agree theres a bias against Inishowen clubs in the county board but thats some statement ha (monkey with hands over eyes emoji)****

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

Typical anti inshowen rubbish, the county board didn’t set out any rules if level and central council agreed. As usual a southern county board mess up again and it’s Buncranas fault. This is the same county board that refused the query from Buncrana in the first place and also embarrassed the county when playing the Dubs in croke Park during the summer looking for a ruling on a neutral venue.

So each team got the chance to play off against each other in winner take all. I don’t think you can say fairer then that!

That is some right load of nonsense. Anti Inishowen bias me arse. Yes, County Board screwed up, but at the end of the day, All the clubs in the County played to the same rules and have done so for the last few seasons without any challenges or questions.

It is beyond ludicrous to have teams play to a set rules for a full season, present the League winners with their trophy and then with the league finished almost a month, change the outcome and expect clubs to line out in the middle of November, just because one club became sore losers. I don't see how that is fair at all.

I don't think anyone would have had an issue if the play-off scenario had been in place from the start of the season.

As for refs being biased against Buncrana, that must be what got them relegated to Junior football as well. A great big conspiracy.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Buncrana totally entitled to seek clarification and were proved justified by central council.

Everything else in that post about bias is just embarrassing. I hate to break it to you but nobody cares about Buncrana enough to be biased against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭doc_17

What a truly dreadful post. I suppose it’s everyone else's fault that Inishowen can’t field reserve teams as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Big day for the parish of Gaoth Dobhair this Sunday. I knew that as a county our club record in Ulster was bad but I was still shocked to see we have only ever won it once ... and that was back in 1975! Hopefully the lads can perform to their best on Sunday and if they do I think they have a great chance of doubling that total. Goals have won matches for us so far this year, I'm sure the boys from Monaghan will have a plan to prevent that so it may be that we rely on Odhran for the points.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Big day for the parish of Gaoth Dobhair this Sunday. I knew that as a county our club record in Ulster was bad but I was still shocked to see we have only ever won it once ... and that was back in 1975! Hopefully the lads can perform to their best on Sunday and if they do I think they have a great chance of doubling that total. Goals have won matches for us so far this year, I'm sure the boys from Monaghan will have a plan to prevent that so it may be that we rely on Odhran for the points.

Always admired Gaoth Dobhair I really hope they do it. Is it Connacht champs in semi finals? Also does anyone have the population of the Parish and how many soccer teams they have in that area. Bit of stats for our Inishowen friends. I think I know their problem.

Aye Connacht champs in the semis.
    Population of Gaoth Dobhair is in and around 4k from memory.
    Three soccer clubs in the parish (Gweedore Celtic, Gweedore Utd and Dunlewey Celtic)

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Ádh mór ar na ghasuraí on ghaeltacht. I'm delighted that collectively as a unit the club players decided to go at it hammer and tongs for at least one year. I felt sorry for those who did down the years whilst the remainder didn't match the dedication. I'm not sure if Cassidy/McGeex2 would have the pace to get as good of a run next year. Saying that, these young lads are going to be a year older, with a lot of them hopefully getting a run in the intercounty competitions and this year's club progress will stand to them.
    I heard someone say in relation to the upcoming final that 'nothing soft comes out of Monaghan' and I couldn't help but nod my head to that.
    Their physicality went unmatched by us in Ulster for a spell. That hit on Mark McHugh that left him a shadow of the player he once was.
    Good luck to the lads on Sunday, I'd tip them to beat Scotstown but may be out of their depth amongst the other provincial final winners. A great achievement to get as far as the have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

All the best to Gaoth Dobhair.

Great to see that it's being shown live. Even better that this is annoying people.

Says a lot about Gaoth Dobhair that anyone I've spoken to wants them to win.

Thankfully St Eunan's have never gotten there so haven't had to make a difficult choice in the past :P:D

Says a lot about Gaoth Dobhair that anyone I've spoken to wants them to win.

Thankfully St Eunan's have never gotten there so haven't had to make a difficult choice in the past :P:D

This^^^haha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Honestly, I'd support any club from Donegal in an Ulster Final.

Except Robert Emmets.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Honestly, I'd support any club from Donegal in an Ulster Final.

Except Robert Emmets.

What’s wrong with emmets..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,902 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Congratulations Gaoth Dobhair. Magnificent team performance. Odhrán Mac Niallais again outstanding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Great stuff!!!

charlie14 wrote: »
    Congratulations Gaoth Dobhair. Magnificent team performance. Odhrán Mac Niallais again outstanding.

I dont think theyll be overly happy with their performance when things settle down in a couple of weeks. Definitlely wouldnt call it magnificent. Thats just my opinion.

Great result though. Brilliant for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭agfasfos

Congratulations Gweedore, they dug out a win in atrocious conditions.

Very very difficult conditions and as a result lots of mistakes and both teams erring on the side of caution, but that was as sweet a victory as I can ever remember. Let's be fair to Scotstown, they're an excellent team and really tough opponents, Darren Hughes in particular was superb. A lot of things didn't suit our boys but they really dug deep and showed great character. Mac, you say they'll be disappointed in the performance, I really doubt that! Finals are for winning and these boys will be remembered forever more as Ulster champions 2018, Maith na Gasurai!
    A few special mentions, Micheal Carroll, Odhran a hAon agus Odhran a Do and Cass were all outstanding today. It was tough, physical and Jesus it was tense but all that really matters is we're Ulster champions, what a feeling!

Very very difficult conditions and as a result lots of mistakes and both teams erring on the side of caution, but that was as sweet a victory as I can ever remember. Let's be fair to Scotstown, they're an excellent team and really tough opponents, Darren Hughes in particular was superb. A lot of things didn't suit our boys but they really dug deep and showed great character. Mac, you say they'll be disappointed in the performance, I really doubt that! Finals are for winning and these boys will be remembered forever more as Ulster champions 2018, Maith na Gasurai!
    A few special mentions, Micheal Carroll, Odhran a hAon agus Odhran a Do and Cass were all outstanding today. It was tough, physical and Jesus it was tense but all that really matters is we're Ulster champions, what a feeling!

Heard a few of the boys talking already since and Eamon and Cass both said its as bad as yous have played.
    Look thats not important I just know Gaoth Dobhair are a better side than we saw out there today but we saw every bit of their character and grit.
    Enjoy the celebrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

A lot of credit must go to Mervyn O'Donnell. He took on the Gweedore job when nobody else wanted it. He took Michael Boyle on board this year and he clearly has had a huge influence on the set up, in fact Boyle looks like a future Donegal manager.
    I thought Michael Carroll was hugely influential yesterday and offered great leadership. He took the game by the scruff of the neck and drove them forward. Peter McGee also made a major impact. The Gweedore bench stepped up to the mark whereas the Scotstown bench had little or no impact.
    It was also nice to see the myth of Rory Beggan exposed yesterday.

Maith sibh!

Great scenes. Not sure which was Cass' best decision - to come out of retirement or to take over Mhicís :D

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

It was also nice to see the myth of Rory Beggan exposed yesterday.

What myth is that?
    And hearty congrats to GD...btw. Semi final should be a cracker. Is there any chance Sligo would be a venue or will they drag us off to Mayo?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

What myth is that?
    And hearty congrats to GD...btw. Semi final should be a cracker. Is there any chance Sligo would be a venue or will they drag us off to Mayo?

The myth that he is the best goalkeeper in the game. There are aspects of his game that are excellent but he is poor on some of the fundamentals of goalkeeping as was shown yesterday when he rode his luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

The myth that he is the best goalkeeper in the game. There are aspects of his game that are excellent but he is poor on some of the fundamentals of goalkeeping as was shown yesterday when he rode his luck.

Not sure about that....As the man says, there's lies, damn lies and statistics. If you assume Cluxton is (was) the best in the business then the stats attached would show that Beggan has overtaken him.

http://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2018/11/06/news/beggan-taking-on-cluxton-s-mantle-and-changing-the-game-again-1478000/

I was up at the game yesterday and couldn't honestly say he rode his luck. He mightn't be everyone's cup of tea with his escapades out the field etc etc...but the stats above would show his fundamentals are pretty sound.

Advertisement